• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

A Fire Battle! Marowak Shows Up! (977)

Serebii

And, as if by magic, the webmaster appeared...
Staff member
Admin
A Fire Battle! Marowak Shows Up!

While on Akala Island, Ash & co. participate in the Wela Festival where the event has Pokémon wear the Wela Crown. This crown will make Pokémon stronger while they wear it. However, a wild Marowak soon appears and steals the crown. It's up to Ash and Kiawe to get the crown back. Will they be able to get the crown??

Visit The Episode Guide

Discuss

Janovy

Banned
Shell Smash. Called it hehe.

Janovy

Banned
Great call, dude. It's great that we got to know the full moveset of Turtonator, too. And hopefully Marowak won't get shafted like Charjabug was after his capture.
Thanks!

I kinda feel like it won't because it has more a personality than Charjabug due to its movements and facial expressions.

Akkipeddi

All set to be a nice guy
Well we can put the whole Turtonium Z theory to rest for now. Anyway, episode was pretty decent. Got some good backstory and development for Kiawe, and Turtonator learned Shell Smash. Finally got to see Olivia being a bit more serious than her usual ditzyness. And boy do they love their XY music, with the Kalos E4 theme and Mega Evolution theme. So overall, 7/10. Not spectacular, but a solid episode nonetheless.

Daniel31

HopingGaryReturns
Well, this episode pretty much went as expected. Kiawe loses to the Alolan Marowak the first time (even with using Inferno Overdrive, got dodged), does some training with Ash, Turtonator learns Shell Smash, then defeats it in a rematch, and captures the Marowak. The flashbacks to Kiawe's past were pretty cool though, and Hiker David photobombing at the end was pretty funny.

Good episode, but nothing really surprising.

1rkhachatryan

Call me Robert guys
Did he use Shell Trap here, I feel like Sophocles said something about it but not sure.

Janovy

Banned
Did he use Shell Trap here, I feel like Sophocles said something about it but not sure.
It was Shell Smash. You can notice just from the visuals, Turtonator glows blue and then red (signifying some of its stats have decreased and some have increased). And when you notice that Turtonator becomes super fast, way faster than Marowak, then Shell Smash is the only logical conclusion.

1rkhachatryan

Call me Robert guys
It was Shell Smash. You can notice just from the visuals, Turtonator glows blue and then red (signifying some of its stats have decreased and some have increased). And when you notice that Turtonator becomes super fast, way faster than Marowak, then Shell Smash is the only logical conclusion.

No, when it blew Marowak away, not for when he set up the Z move.

345ash-greninja

Auto-Memories Doll
Great, great episode! Badass Kiawe and Turtonator allover! First they suffer a hard loss to Alolan Marowak, but after some training with Ash and Pikachu they gets themselves right, avenge their loss and Kiawe catches Alolan Marowak! Both the fights between Turtonator and Alolan Marowak were awesome to watch! 9.5/10!

lolipiece

Pictured: what browsing Serebii does to a person
Staff member

Unless my ears are broken (more so than usual), both Rotom and Sophocles said Shell Trap.

1rkhachatryan

Call me Robert guys
Unless my ears are broken (more so than usual), both Rotom and Sophocles said Shell Trap.

That's what I thought I heard to but I didn't see anybody mentioning it in the moves thread or on Bulbapedia so I wanted to check.

DatsRight

Not a bad episode at all. Finally some limelight for Kaiwe and Turtonator.

Also a very battle heavy one for a change. Kaiwe suffering an epic defeat works well developing his proud character (also a Z Move from a protagonist failing adds some needed fallibility to the gimmick), liked Ash stepping up to help train him, more chemistry between the two after Kaiwe has spent most of the series mentoring him.

Another Pokemon randomly learning a new move just one episode later. On the plus side it did at least occur WHILE they were training instead of the heat of the moment this time, plus it didn't decide the entire rematch, which was nicely developed and had some neat strategy otherwise.

Marowak could make a good secondary Pokemon for Kaiwe, being hyperactive and aggressive to counter Turtonator who seems very laid back (basically the two sides of Kaiwe's personality). Hope this Pokemon doesn't get put aside.

The hiker cameos were also a nice throwback to the games.

Last edited:

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
I'm glad they included the Hiker, even if we didn't get the Fire Trial itself. I'm not going to hold resentment towards the Fire Trial being skipped over, not until we learn if Ultra SM has a different Fire Totem or not. I was actually laughing when he photobombed the group, which I can't say I have done for more recent episodes. It's stuff like this that makes me sad the school isn't based on Akala.
I hope we get to see Marowak battle again soon, maybe help Ash train in place of Turtonator? His moves were absolutely beautiful!

Great call, dude. It's great that we got to know the full moveset of Turtonator, too. And hopefully Marowak won't get shafted like Charjabug was after his capture.

It's not going to.
Look at the size of Marowak and how fast he is compared to Turtonator. It can get involved in activities more than Turtonator could, gags like the pancake race can only work once. It won't be hilarious the second time they do that.
There's not much they can do with Charjabug honestly, much like Bouncesweet before it evolved. Unfortunately, we'll be waiting a lot longer for Charjabug to evolve. Unless Ultra SM adds a new location for it to evolve at that isn't so late game, or we get an random episode that takes the group to Poni early. Plus.... look who Sophocles' other Pokemon is, it's the Pikaclone of the generation. Kiawe doesn't really own any marketable Pokemon, and I love that. It makes me appreciate his character more.

Locormus

Can we please get the older, old forum back?
I'm glad they included the Hiker, even if we didn't get the Fire Trial itself. I'm not going to hold resentment towards the Fire Trial being skipped over, not until we learn if Ultra SM has a different Fire Totem or not.

I hope we get to see Marowak battle again soon, maybe help Ash train in place of Turtonator? His moves were absolutely beautiful!

I don't want to spoil your mood, but it really isn't that cool that they skipped the Fire Trial. You need the three Trials to be able to be eligable to battle with Olivia. These last two episodes are really not about Ash doing the Trials, it's him helping out others doing the Trials, which should not give him access to battle Olivia, yet it will. They're throwing the source material out of the window, while baiting us with small bits (like the Hiker). It's like they honestly don't know what to do: Follow the games, or not, use game material, or not? And what we get is this mixed bag that in my opinion falls short and/or doesn't make sense.

Frozocrone

Miraculous!
I think the Fire Trial skip should only be criticised if we go back to Melemele because Ash beats Olivia.

Maybe he uses Salazzle as he's not ready for Olivia.