• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

A Fire Battle! Marowak Shows Up! (977)

satopi

Life doesn’t end, …it changes.
Aww it feels so nice seeing Fire type Pokémon from all the regions in the beginning. :) And wow, I can't believe Kiawe's grandfather was the Island King! :wow: And man, I loved this Kiawe centered episode! These three random Don George like characters were hilarious! I'm glad they weren't overbearing and were a nuisance in universe. :p

It's so awesome that Kiawe caught an Alolan Marowak! Its one sided rivalry with Turtonator is kind of silly and it's funny on how it wants to win against it right after losing against Turtonator. Ash helped in a way that did make Kiawe realize Turtonator's strengths, abilities, and blind spots like how it is really slow yet powerful. This episode was really eventful from where Olivia was placing the Crown under each Pokémon's heads to everyone taking pictures. I kind of wished that Kukui didn't stop Olivia was knocking down that Marowak for causing so much havoc. The battle between Turtonator and the Alolan Marowak was great as usual.. I couldn't take my eyes off it! It's also great that we know now Turtonator's full moveset.

Last edited:

345ash-greninja

Auto-Memories Doll
Aww it feels so nice seeing Fire type Pokémon from all the regions in the beginning. :) And wow, I can't believe Kiawe's grandfather was the Island King! :wow: And man, I loved this Kiawe centered episode! These three random Don George like characters were hilarious! I'm glad they weren't overbearing and were a nuisance in universe. :p

It's so awesome that Kiawe caught an Alolan Marowak! Its one sided rivalry with Turtonator is kind of silly and it's funny on how it wants to win against it right after losing against Turtonator. Ash helped in a way that did make Kiawe realize Turtonator's strengths, abilities, and blind spots like how it is really slow yet powerful. This episode was really eventful from where Olivia was placing the Crown under each Pokémon's heads to everyone taking pictures. I kind of wished that Kukui didn't stop Olivia was knocking down that Marowak for causing so much havoc.

It's still quite weak compared to Pikachu though. Was getting terribly outclassed.

TheWanderingMist

Paladin of the Snow Queen
I think I figured out what I didn't like about this episode. It didn't try to do anything to surprise me (other than Hiker David). All of SM so far has been rather unique, but this episode really felt like it could've fit into any of the old sagas without much trouble at all.

Satomine Night

The Power of Z!
It's still quite weak compared to Pikachu though. Was getting terribly outclassed.
Turtonator's strength compared to Pikachu's doesn't change the fact that Turtonator is slow yet powerful, and has nothing to do with that satopi said.

Besides, the entire point of Ash and Kiawe's battle was for Ash and Pikachu to help Kiawe and Turtonator deal with the speed advantage of a faster Pokémon, which is (probably) why Ash had Pikachu run around Turtonator and use Quick Attack so often. Marowak's speed, and Turtonator's inability to counter that speed, is one reason Marowak was able to defeat Turtonator in their first battle.

But if you're going to argue that Turtonator is weak, I would like to point out that it tanked quite a few Iron Tails and a Thunderbolt from Pikachu and was still standing. Are you calling that weak?

Last edited:

345ash-greninja

Auto-Memories Doll
Turtonator's strength compared to Pikachu's doesn't change the fact that Turtonator is slow yet powerful, and has nothing to do with that satopi said.
All I said was 'weak compared to Pikachu', that's it.

Besides, the entire point of Ash and Kiawe's battle was for Ash and Pikachu to help Kiawe and Turtonator deal with the speed advantage of a faster Pokémon, which is (probably) why Ash had Pikachu run around Turtonator and use Quick Attack so often. Marowak's speed, and Turtonator's inability to counter that speed, is one reason Marowak was able to defeat Turtonator in their first battle.
One thing I would like to add here is that I thought Turtonator was even more powerful, after SM001, but after this episode, where it suffered a defeat to Alolan Marowak and a beating from Pikachu, I would say it's powerful but not that much what I thought initially.

But if you're going to argue that Turtonator is weak, I would like to point out that it tanked quite a few Iron Tails and a Thunderbolt from Pikachu and was still standing. Are you calling that weak?
Being able to tank a lot makes you resilient, not incredibly strong. *Remembers Goodra vs Bisharp*

Last edited:

Satomine Night

The Power of Z!
All I said was 'weak compared to Pikachu', that's it.
Which still has nothing to do with what satopi said, so I'm not sure why you brought it up in the first place.

One thing I would like to add here is that I thought Turtonator was even more powerful, after SM001, but after this episode, where it suffered a defeat to Alolan Marowak and a beating from Pikachu, I would say it's powerful but not that much what I thought initially.
Firstly, Alolan Marowak's power was increased by the Wela Crown, so you have to keep that in mind. Secondly, as I said in my earlier post, one reason Turtonator lost against Marowak was because it was unable to counter Marowak's speed advantage. It's for that same reason that Turtonator struggled against Pikachu--Pikachu has a significant speed advantage, which Ash used to his advantage, because that was the entire purpose of that battle.

Turtonator losing to Alolan Marowak the first time doesn't mean Turtonator is weak. If it were that weak, then it wouldn't have been able to defeat Marowak the second time. That first battle showed that power alone doesn't guarantee victory if your opponent has an advantage over you (as Marowak did with its speed). In the second battle, Turtonator was able to counter Marowak's speed, which enabled it to defeat Marowak.

Essentially, Turtonator's loss against Marowak in the first battle was a plot device in order to kickstart its and Kiawe's character development.

Daniel31

HopingGaryReturns
So just because Turtonator lost to Marowak, it's now weak...I mean, what did you expect to happen this episode, Kiawe battle and capture the Alolan Marowak right off the bat, of course Kiawe and his Turtonator were going to lose. Sometimes, you can't take every thing you see in the Anime so literal. I personally still think that Kiawe's Turtonator is quite strong.

Also, Turtonator had an unfair advantage too, because the Alolan Marowak had the Wela Crown on.

345ash-greninja

Auto-Memories Doll
Firstly, Alolan Marowak's power was increased by the Wela Crown, so you have to keep that in mind. Secondly, as I said in my earlier post, one reason Turtonator lost against Marowak was because it was unable to counter Marowak's speed advantage. It's for that same reason that Turtonator struggled against Pikachu--Pikachu has a significant speed advantage, which Ash used to his advantage, because that was the entire purpose of that battle.
Does the Wela crown increases power? I didn't know that.

Turtonator losing to Alolan Marowak the first time doesn't mean Turtonator is weak. If it were that weak, then it wouldn't have been able to defeat Marowak the second time. That first battle showed that power alone doesn't guarantee victory if your opponent has an advantage over you (as Marowak did with its speed). In the second battle, Turtonator was able to counter Marowak's speed, which enabled it to defeat Marowak.

Essentially, Turtonator's loss against Marowak in the first battle was a plot device in order to kickstart its and Kiawe's character development.
Well one th is clear for sure that Turtonator has a weakness to speedy foes.

Satomine Night

The Power of Z!
Does the Wela crown increases power? I didn't know that.
It's been mentioned in most of the summaries (including the one for this episode review thread) that the Wela Crown makes the Pokémon who wears it stronger. It was also evident in the episode itself--the first thing each Pokémon did when the Crown was put on its head was let out a powerful attack.

While on Akala Island, Ash & co. participate in the Wela Festival where the event has Pokémon wear the Wela Crown. This crown will make Pokémon stronger while they wear it. However, a wild Marowak soon appears and steals the crown. It's up to Ash and Kiawe to get the crown back. Will they be able to get the crown??

345ash-greninja

Auto-Memories Doll
It's been mentioned in most of the summaries (including the one for this episode review thread) that the Wela Crown makes the Pokémon who wears it stronger. It was also evident in the episode itself--the first thing each Pokémon did when the Crown was put on its head was let out a powerful attack.
I see. Didn't know it earlier. That might be a reason for the loss first time, though Turtonator lost a bit too badly.

ShadowForce720

I see. Didn't know it earlier. That might be a reason for the loss first time, though Turtonator lost a bit too badly.

Not only was the crown power up Alolan Marowak, but another reason Alolan Marowak was able to beat Turtonator was because it was faster then Turtonator and Turtonator was use to having to try to counter that speed so it's understandable why Turtonator lost the way it did, so I don't why you keep trying to make it sound like Turtonator is weak because of it losing the battle to Alolan Marowak the first time around, when Turtonator lost because of understandable reasons.

Just because Turtonator lost to Alolan Marowak the first time around does not make it weak. There are more factors involved besides strength in determining who wins a pokemon battle, so just because Turtonator lost to Alolan Marowak the first time around does not mean Turtonator is weak.

Last edited:

345ash-greninja

Auto-Memories Doll
Not only was the crown power up Alolan Marowak, but another reason Alolan Marowak was able to beat Turtonator was because it was faster then Turtonator and Turtonator was use to having to try to counter that speed so it's understandable why Turtonator lost the way it did, so I don't why you keep trying to make it sound like Turtonator is weak because of it losing the battle to Alolan Marowak the first time around, when Turtonator lost because of understandable reasons.

Just because Turtonator lost to Alolan Marowak the first time around does not make it weak. There are more factors involved besides strength in determining who wins a pokemon battle, so just because Turtonator lost to Alolan Marowak the first time around does not mean Turtonator is weak.

Being slow is also an weakness though. A weakness like that can be exploited by the opponents.

ShadowForce720

Being slow is also an weakness though. A weakness like that can be exploited by the opponents.

Having a weakness is not the same thing as being weak, just because Turtonator has a weakness does not make it weak, as everything no matter how strong and powerful it maybe will always still have some form of weakness, however no matter how you look at it having a weakness is not the same thing as being weak.

Last edited:

345ash-greninja

Auto-Memories Doll
Having a weakness is not the same thing as being weak, just because Turtonator has a weakness does not make it weak, as everything no matter how strong and powerful it maybe will always still have some form of weakness, however no matter how you look at it having a weakness is not the same thing as being weak.

If that weakness is too easily exploitable by your opponent, then you aren't that strong.

ShadowForce720

If that weakness is too easily exploitable by your opponent, then you aren't that strong.

Again having a weakness is not the same thing as be weak even if that weakness can be easily exploited, so no just because Alolan Marowak was able to use it's faster speed to get the upper hand against Turtonator does not make Turtonator weak.

Last edited:

nuzamaki90

I'm more surprised they actually put in the game stat lowering and rising animation lol, I can't remember ever seeing it before.

They did it a lot in the XY/XYZ anime. Do you remember Ash's battles with Korrina, Ramos, and Sawyer? Those are examples off the top of my head.

345ash-greninja

Auto-Memories Doll
Again having a weakness is not the same thing as be weak even if that weakness can be exploited, so no just because Alolan Marowak was able to use it's faster speed to get the upper hand against Turtonator does not make Turtonator weak.

Not only Alolan Marowak, even Pikachu exploited it brutally. If your weakness is too easily exploitable by your opponent, then you aren't that strong because then you're going to end up losing many battles. I'm not saying Turtonator's weak, but it isn't that strong either.

Akkipeddi

All set to be a nice guy
They did it a lot in the XY/XYZ anime. Do you remember Ash's battles with Korrina, Ramos, and Sawyer? Those are examples off the top of my head.

Yes, and even the Sawyer vs Tierno battle, where Aegislash used Swords Dance and clearly had the increase in attack animation.

ShadowForce720

Not only Alolan Marowak, even Pikachu exploited it brutally. If your weakness is too easily exploitable by your opponent, then you aren't that strong because then you're going to end up losing many battles. I'm not saying Turtonator's weak, but it isn't that strong either.

The battle between Pikachu and Turtonator was a training match. So no just because Turtonator has a weakness does not automatically mean that it isn't strong no matter how you look at it.

345ash-greninja

Auto-Memories Doll
Where are you getting that Pikachu has beaten Turtonator from, as all the outcomes of the battles between them have never been on screen nor has results of the battles ever been talking about, and if your talking about this episode battle between them that was a training match and we don't even know if either them got knocked out because it cut away before the results were shown. So no just because Turtonator has a weakness does not automatically mean that it isn't strong no matter how you look at it.

From what we saw, Turtonator was terribly outclassed. I'm judging from what we saw, and it was clear that Turtonator was no match whatsoever for Pikachu.