• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

A Fishing Connoisseur in a Fishy Competition (685)

jolteonjak

*swoons for Noland*
Is it me or does Bel(le)'s voice sound like Haruka's or Hikari's (notice the usage of Japanese names)? Has this already been addressed?

Ok, episode. It was a bit of a letdown for me, really, but that doesn't mean I did not enjoy it. For starters, I was not expecting the episode to be edited. I expected it to be really funny (almost on par with Claydol, Big and Tall), but it wasn't. But that's ok. I enjoyed the episode. I'm becoming more and more of a Cilan fan. The dude is just awesome!

thunderblade12

No one can say Cilan isn't getting screentime at least... All of these episodes where he's becoming a connoisseur [insert role here] are speculated to be funny and charming, yet all seem to fall flat. I hope the next Cilan episode isn't forcing him into some role and instead gives him some real development with what they've already established about him

Juputoru

M-m-m-m-onobear?!
-We begin with...Ash wondering where the next gym is. Delayed episode? I THINK NOT.
-Bianca crashing into people(and sending them into rivers!) will never get old.
-But Bianca had a good excuse for crashing into Ash: A FISHING TOURNAMENT! And Dento immediately goes FISHING WHAT WHAT and goes into overexcited mode.
-After everyone else decides to enter the tournament...Dento goes into IT'S FISHING TIME overdramatic mode and starts dramatically talking about fishing or something while he cuts to a stylized version of himself fishing for a giant fish in the middle of a stormy sea(he also shoehorns being a FISHING sommelier in there at one point). Boy be crazy. Entertaining, but crazy. And by the way Ash, Bianca, and Iris were staring at him, I think they'd agree.
-The tournament's being run by Team Rocket. Of course.
-Fishing balls? Was it that hard to draw Net Balls?
-OH MY GOD DENTO'S SMUGFACE. It is a thing of...mild creepiness. And also beauty.
-The prize is apparently a SUPER AWESOME GOLDEN SPARKLING FISHING ROD. As far as I'm concerned all fishing rods do the same damned thing, but at least that one looks ~fancy~
-Bianca goes to pick a rod, but Dento dramatically insists NO and starts looking over the rods for one that's suitable. Take that sentence out of context and I will cut you.
-...wait a minute...extreme drama about relatively mundane things...dramatic unveilings of his latest passion(including over-the-top animations at times)...musical cues that kick in when he starts being overdramatic...so Dento's where the spirit of pre-BW TR went. (only funnier)
-After Bianca awkwardly thanks Dento for picking out a fishing rod for her...Dento chuckles and dramatically reveals his OWN super special rod. Seriously, I will cut you if you take these out of context.
-Meanwhile, Iris is just -_-ing at all this. I can't really blame her.
-They finally get out to the competition area, where Bianca promptly starts swinging her rod about with wild abandon. And she catches something pretty quickly...her rod hooked an Ash Ketchum!
-Dento's taken it upon himself to give the group a demonstration of proper fishing technique, apparently. And yes, it's as overdramatic as everything else he does in this episode. He even calls out an OVERHEAD CAST! as if it was an attack or something.
-Ahahahah Dento's "oh no you didn't" finger waggle after Bianca wondered why he didn't reel his catch in immediately.
-...I just realized that Dento isn't using his Dento lure here. BOO.
-Dento decides to battle the Basculin he fished up, which...quickly leads to Yanappu getting bitten. And Aqua Tailed.
-But that gets turned around quickly enough, and Dento hams it up again as he orders Pansage to finish it off with a Solarbeam. And then...Dento (temporarily?) catches Basculin.
-Back at the judge's counter...Dento is standing in line with another smugface.
-Iris apparently sucks at fishing with a fishing rod. So after getting sick of nothing biting...she takes matters into her own hands. (disclaimer: Killing people for making bad puns is illegal in all 50 states)
-...too bad that James calls her on it. I guess TR has to at least *pretend* there are rules while they blatently gather a bunch of free Pokemon.
-Speaking of free Pokemon, Jessie is collecting the caught Pokemon for "judging", and Dento rightfully wonders how they'll tell all the balls apart once it's prize time. I think? Then he brings up something smug about champion class and I DON'T KNOW.
-Back at the river, Bianca's caught something big! It's...wait, Dento just charged in with a "WHAT ARE YOU DOING" look on his face. Anyway, it's a Frillish. And it immediately gives Ash a big ol' death grip hug.
-Everyone gapes in shock, and Bianca...scans Frillish with her Pokedex while Ash struggles to get free. WHAT A JERK.
-Dento and Iris try to help...which prompts Frillish to turn this into a group hug! So Ash does what he probably should have done earlier and just has Pikachu Thunderbolt the damned thing.
-Also TR's making their escape. It's kind of hard to care when they're not really stealing anyone's treasured Pokemon, but I guess they're still being jerks to people who thought they might win a fancy fishing rod.
-Frillish then decided to push TR's boat away because...it's a jerk, I guess.
-And then everyone picked that exact moment to go over to where TR was and overhear everything.
-Blah blah fighting blah blah Frillish was apparently freeing the Pokemon from the fishing balls while we weren't looking bl-wait, what?
-TR jetpacks off again. And Dento's first priority after that is...digging through the ruined building looking for the awesome fishing rod. But it's broken in half. Too bad! (...was he just going to take it for himself if it hadn't been broken?)

In conclusion, Dento is a smug/insane bastard and I love him for it. Bianca could have done more, though. (although I guess that can be forgiven since this was originally intended to lead into her being with the group for several episodes)

Also, I'm baffled at all the people who hate this episode because nobody caught anything(or whatever it is you were expecting to happen). I understand that it's probably not all that great if you're not a Dento fan, but it didn't seem like the complete waste of time some of you are claiming it was. Or maybe it's just part of this forum's baffling "ALL FILLERS ARE ALWAYS BAD RARGH HATE FILLERS" mentality.

Last edited:

Poke Master 7

Boulder Trainer
This episode, based on when it was supposed to air, really seems like a nice hurrah to TR's personality. It really almost feels like one of the older episodes with them wearing paper thin disguises and setting up a scam to get free pokemon. Heck they even had something go wrong with their original get away with Frillish taking their boat. While I dislike them being clowns, it was nice seeing them with their personalities in tact (and thank god no dancing or rhyming from them when they were in privacy).

And did Iris really take off her pants here? And this is supposed to be a kids show.

I gotta wonder though, was the ending of the episode changed or something because if it wasn't, with the proper order the episodes aired in, Bel just kinda randomly appeared in the group between episodes even though she left them at the end of the episode. I mean sure Best Wishes has had those situations where it drops us in a situation making us wonder if we missed something, but that's just kinda strange for her to leave the group at the end of one episode only to be with them in the beginning of the next.

Last edited:

jscholfield

Pokemon Breeder
This episode, based on when it was supposed to air, really seems like a nice hurrah to TR's personality. It really almost feels like one of the older episodes with them wearing paper thin disguises and setting up a scam to get free pokemon. Heck they even had something go wrong with their original get away with Frillish taking their boat. While I dislike them being clowns, it was nice seeing them with their personalities in tact (and thank god no dancing or rhyming from them when they were in privacy).

And did Iris really take off her pants here? And this is supposed to be a kids show.
I gotta wonder though, was the ending of the episode changed or something because if it wasn't, with the proper order the episodes aired in, Bel just kinda randomly appeared in the group between episodes even though she left them at the end of the episode. I mean sure Best Wishes has had those situations where it drops us in a situation making us wonder if we missed something, but that's just kinda strange for her to leave the group at the end of one episode only to be with them in the beginning of the next.

Yeah wait what?

fubufubu

Finished watching the video of it. I enjoyed the episode even more compared to just looking at the pictures.

Cilan's facial expression at the start were awesome. He knows he's awesome.

The Frillish scene was...interesting. :p

I kind of wanted Cilan to keep Basculin, I thought it would be interesting to see what it would be like with him.

I thought the episode was pretty entertaining.

well this episode was skipped for a couple months remember and had cilan kept the basculin it would have raised confusions......wow....i haven't seen a main character this energetic since well ash.....may.....and well......she who shall never be named again......*glares at dawn*

Marbi Z

Cin-Der-Race!
Uhhhh... What about the episode with Team Rocket and Team Plasma going at it? When's that gonna be back on the air!?

Pepsi_Plunge

Dojyaaa~~aan
Is it me or does Bel(le)'s voice sound like Haruka's or Hikari's (notice the usage of Japanese names)? Has this already been addressed?

Nope first time voicing a character in the Pokemon anime for her VA, unless she did some pokemons but characters this is the first.

Oh and whats up with the Kiddos being offended by Iris taking of her pants because she is going into the water and Belle being hugged by Satoshi and the animator putting the hand there, I'm sure he was thinking of Satoshi grabbing her boob, sure sure, go make some shippings with that, shipping people, seriously are you are asking if you are kids and then you guys act like kids asking this stupid stuff?

I know you are joking Lucario(or atleast I hope so).

Jupotorou you kinda of said this two weeks in a row but anywa, neither last week neither this one was filler, last week had Team Rocket development Zeager gave them new orders to spy on the Dream Machine for a future project, it had plot development no filler, this week like I said Belle came back and we got a capture even if it was released not filler either.

Last edited:

Aegon

If you are surprised about this, then you should be more surprised at what Ash did to Bianca in the disguise of helping her (see where Ash's hands are in the pic below).
http://i51.*******.com/izz3ww.jpg
O_O I. . . I don't know what to say. There's too many things happening in that image. Their expressions! His hands! *Waits for BiancaxIrisxAsh Shipping* You know it'll happen.

JennaJayfeather

Gangrenous Creature
No one can say Cilan isn't getting screentime at least... All of these episodes where he's becoming a connoisseur [insert role here] are speculated to be funny and charming, yet all seem to fall flat. I hope the next Cilan episode isn't forcing him into some role and instead gives him some real development with what they've already established about him

Well, to be a kind of fair, this episode aired before BW035 so this "Sommelier _______" does have some meaning for his character. It's not like it's too much, we've had Fishing, Science, Detective and if you think about it they all deal with Science somehow. Whether or not they put immense backhistory into him, it's nice that they actually give him hobbies and things that make his character feel more realistic.

I think Dento has a few screws loose in the head anyways....

*patiently waits for 'Dento's Theme': It's Singing Time~ Serenading Sommelier Dento's theme*

------------------------------------------------------------------

And something random I noticed:

Also I think Dento's "tsk tsk tsk" when Bianca and Ash were telling him to hurry was in time with the music in the background XD

Last edited:

AwesomeSauce117

Nostalgia Addict
Pretty good episode. It was obvious Ash wasn't going to catch Frillish >.<

Mr.Munchlax

Great Ball Rank Trainer
If you are surprised about this, then you should be more surprised at what Ash did to Bianca in the disguise of helping her (see where Ash's hands are in the pic below).
http://i51.*******.com/izz3ww.jpg

I dom't get it --_

Elision

Fall Apart.
I love this episode because of.... something. Probably the humor for ex.: The hugging female Frillish, hugs everyone she sees, and Bianca hooking Ash. Congratulations Bianca, you've caught a human on your hook.
I'd give this episode a..... 9/10. Loses a point because it was a compete filler!!!!

Torpoleon

I love this episode because of.... something. Probably the humor for ex.: The hugging female Frillish, hugs everyone she sees, and Bianca hooking Ash. Congratulations Bianca, you've caught a human on your hook.
I'd give this episode a..... 9/10. Loses a point because it was a compete filler!!!!
Compete filler?

I think it's a dumb reason to take off points for an episode because it is apparently a filler, especially when you actually really enjoyed watching the episode.

I thought it was cool that Cilan caught a Basculin for a little bit. I was hoping to see a few more Water Type Pokémon here, such as Tirtouga, but we did technically get three debuts here (both Basculin forms and a female Frillish). I think it was good that Cilan didn't keep Basculin because it probably wouldn't be much use outside of the water, like what I think of Cilan's Stunfisk.

Marbi Z

Cin-Der-Race!
When that female Frillish was loving Ash he should have caught her, took her to a private room, and explored her but instead he got all freaked out! Come on Ash! You'll never be a Pokemon master if you don't learn to have sex with Pokemon! Especially if you have females you have to explore them personally, mentally and of course physically. Its very hard to get a Pokemon to mate with you and you blew it by not catching that lovely female Frillish!

Blackjack the Titan

It’s been a while
Frillish really does have a death-grip hug. That's why her species are Water-Ghost.
Cilan seriously trying to steal the fishing rod?

When that female Frillish was loving Ash he should have caught her, took her to a private room, and explored her but instead he got all freaked out! Come on Ash! You'll never be a Pokemon master if you don't learn to have sex with Pokemon! Especially if you have females you have to explore them personally, mentally and of course physically. Its very hard to get a Pokemon to mate with you and you blew it by not catching that lovely female Frillish!

Did you remember to take your medicine this morning? I'm just a little bit scared now.