• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

A frank discussion about homophonia

Status
Not open for further replies.

kochoupink

butts lol
Sometimes, when something is deeply personal to you, and to your feelings, you need to take a stand. We on this forum have seen many thought-provoking discussions on what it means to be a tolerant, accepting (or not, as the case may be) individual in modern society. We've seen serious discourse on ethics and morality. We've touched spiritual, scientific, and artistic topics.

So I'd like to bring everyone's attention to something very close to my own heart, something which affects me, and, whether they realize it or not, millions of people around the world every day.

I refer, of course, to homophonia.
What is homophonia? Allow me to demonstrate using the preceding paragraphs:
So I'd like to bring every won's a tension to something very clothes too my own hart, something witch effects me, and, weather they realize it or knot, millions of people around the world every day

I reefer, of coarse, to homophonia.

The above is an extreme example, intended to demonstrate the depths to which the homophonic may sink. This forum has recently seen an influx in homophonia. I chalk this up to two things. The first an increase of posters, many of whom are young, brought here by the 5th gen games. Is this an excuse? No. Even the youngest child has the power to stop homophonia. However, homophonia in the home or school environment can influence a developing child into developing it him or herself.

The other reason I believe to be internet spell-checkers. The paragraph in quote tags does not have any squiggly lines on it; all of the words used are correctly spelled. This doesn't make them any less wrong.

What are your experiences with homophonia? Where do you think it originates? What do you think we, as individuals or as a group, can do to stop it?

bel9

n3w 2 sppf :3
While eye think that minnie kids canknot help that their out of school an do knot worry about been penalized four there mistakes.

i dont get what is this thread about :)?

GrizzlyB

Confused and Dazed
kochoupink said:
Sometimes, win something is deeply personal two you, and too you're feelings, you knead two take a stand. Wee awn this forum halve scene many thought-provoking discussions on what it means to be a tolerant, accepting (or knot, as the case may bee) individual in modern society. Weave scene serious discourse awn ethics and morality. Weave touched spiritual, scientific, and artistic topics.

I got board.

kochoupink

butts lol
Wikipedia and Google turned up nothing.

That's because it's a neologism I coined myself. It's clearly defined in context; there's honestly no need to be smartass about it.

GrizzlyB

Confused and Dazed
Blue Ralts said:
Wikipedia and Google turned up nothing.

Fortunate that those are the be-all, end-all wellsprings of human knowledge, isn't it?

kaiser soze said:
*facepalm* eye get eat know

You either: a) have a truly funky accent, b) a poor grasp of the English language, or c) you actually don't get it at all.

Krake

Flabebe's Kids
Whenever I find a post with bad grammar and/or spelling, I like to read it in a Jamaican accent. It actually makes a lot of sense.

*IZ*

Whenever I find a post with bad grammar and/or spelling, I like to read it in a Jamaican accent. It actually makes a lot of sense.
Yes of course. Those Jamaicans don't know how to talk... jk

On topic: I thought this thread had something to do with being scared or hating phones

Bootifuh. Jest bootifuh.

Well, my first experiences with homophonia were horrible. I got my *** beat in school for spellchecking a bully's essay back in 3rd grade and getting all the words wrong.

But the spellchecker said they were the truth. That day, I lost faith in humanity and its cold, demonic, homophonic machines.

Last edited:

Raddaya

My Little Ponyta
I have a spelling checker,
It came with my PC...

Rubicante

Banned
It's a doggy dog world out there, so don't take it for granite. Homophones are a diamond dozen these days.

I've gotten the mistaken-for-gay kind of homophobia if that counts. Keep in mind that this was 10 - 12 years before I came out as Bisexual.

Pansy :]

anustart
Clever, very clever.
I think that the biggest part of the problem is how unreliable spell check has become.
Many kids think it's okay if there isn't a red squiggly line, but unfortunately, this is most often not the case.
The most important thing is to educate them about this.While two words can sound the same, they're all different, and we need to learn how to respect that.

Status
Not open for further replies.