1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. We have received legal notice about the sharing of certain images for Pokémon Sword & Shield. Due to this, we have a new rule. If you post said images, you will be removed from the forums until 15:00 UTC on November 14th 2019. We have also killed the leak discussion threads for the time being. Thank you for your patience during this. If you have any queries, use the contact form
  3. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

A friendly discussion about friendship

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Discussion' started by Eternalserenity, Apr 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PerseusRad

PerseusRad I see you. And you.

You guys know that you can do View Conversation and it will let you VM them. Right? If you didn't, you do now.

2. Eternalserenity

Eternalserenity Wanderer

*rolls eyes*
    If you try to view a conversation with somebody who has a closed profile, it'll take you to a notification that says you don't have permission to view this page. And some people don't even have a view conversation button to click on.

3. PerseusRad

Well for me when someone with a closed profile VMed me, I viewed his convo with me and it let me VM him back. *shrugs*

4. Flame Mistress

Flame Mistress Well-Known Member

How is it disturbing? Tell me. It's just personal preferences.

5. Jb

Jb Tsun in the streets

No it didn't, not unless you were on their friends list.

6. PerseusRad

Okay. Maybe that means he hadn't blocked anything yet. I was pretty sure he had, but maybe not.....

7. Cruxis

Cruxis Banned

you on dat dere phaggy time bro?

i dont swing that way

srs

8. Josef Stylin

Josef Stylin I want to die

I really wouldn't consider it disturbing, but VMing people and not letting them reply kinda makes people look like stupid asses. At least mods have an excuse, because if they keep their profiles public, they end up getting all sorts of stupid VMs.

And most people don't like to waste their time PMing people just for casual conversations.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2012
  9. Syrus

Syrus Praise the Sun!

B-But... what if I just pretend I'm a man so that I don't get constant hit on attempts on the internet? =O

Srs.

10. PerseusRad

Heh. I know for a fact that people do that to Merrick practically every day. They also do that to SerebiiBot for whatever reason.

But yes, I do like making friends.

11. Cruxis

Cruxis Banned

pics of tits to prove it

semi srs

12. Flame Mistress

Then they can PM me. But it's not like you can just go "hey you look really nice so I wanna be friends with you" in real life.

And I don't like strangers prying at my business anyway. I enjoyed stalking conversations when I realised that they'd be pretty ticked off if they knew.

13. Meowth City

Meowth City ♥ Shipper ♥ Staff Member Moderator

Well, I'm quite a private person. Therefore, I keep my VMs private because I got some really weird VMs in the past and I don't want to bother with that nonsense (Yeah, I know I can delete them - I just can't be asked). If someone really needs or wants to contact me, then they can alway PM me. I generally do not send friend requests, but I will accept random ones if the person seems like a nice individual. However, if that person does not talk to me after a long amount of time, then I might remove them later on.

I had an even weirder experience on Facebook. One day, some guy adds me on there and I just assumed he was in my class at uni since he was part of my uni's network. As it turns out, he was not in any of my classes. I only figured that out when he PMed me saying he wanted to be friends, but after some time later, he deleted me as a friend. I didn't even realise I was removed as a friend until A WHOLE YEAR later when he PMed me again saying hi like nothing happened. And what do you know, I couldn't even PM him back - not that I wanted to.

14. Eternalserenity

Eternalserenity Wanderer

Okay, Flame Mistress. I propose a counter-argument. If you're going out of your way to hide your profile so people won't bother you, is it even worth the effort for people to attempt to contact you via PM? In all liklihood, you're just going to ignore people you don't know.

15. Josef Stylin

Josef Stylin I want to die

Protip: When you're replying to someone, it usually helps to READ THE ENTIRE REPLY.

And about that last point. That's actually kinda why I used to use invisible mode. I didn't want people to know what I'm doing. But then a friend of mine helped me realize that I was just being paranoid. People don't give a rat's *** about who I am or what I do or who I talk to. I'm not special and neither are you.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2012
  16. travis174

travis174 What Flygon?

I've been a member of this site for about five years, but have only a few friends, probably because I don't spend enough time on the forums to really "meet" anyone.

17. Flame Mistress

What are you trying to say? That I should open up my profile for everyone to see for no reason?

Yes, I am probably going to ignore people I don't know, because I'm a b*tchy jerk like that. But I don't really care. You can keep your preferences, I can keep mine.

Also, I find the title ironic as heck now.

18. Aurea

Aurea Sees into your soul!

Well, since I'm new here, I'll probably accept any Friend Request that comes my way, but after a few weeks I'll probably only accept people who I've seen around the forums and vaguely know. Although IRl, I'm not one for strolling up to someone I don't know and starting a conversation, it's the internet, so I'm more or less comfortable with talking to people I've not seen/met/heard of before.

19. Gelatino95

Gelatino95 Not a tool

You're comparing apples to oranges. The internet is completely different from real life and shouldn't be compared in this case. Friendships in real life are meant to be meaningful and only with people whom you trust; on the internet, there isn't as great of an opportunity for friendship to be personal. However, in this case, we're not talking about "friendship" in the traditional sense. In this case, "friendship" means someone sends you a request to add them to your profile, which is very superficial and requires no sort of interaction between the two, much less devotion. It's certainly okay to be picky about who you affiliate with, but I just want to make it clear that this kind of friendship cannot be compared at all to friendship in real live.

20. Kacho

Kacho You are next.

ever heard of online dating?

the second part I do agree though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.