• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

A friendly discussion about friendship

Status
Not open for further replies.

pirate555

Word.
I occasionally get a request from a newbie member I've never even seen before. Those are the kind of requests I turn down - ones from people who've never said a single word to me. All you have to do to get on my friend list, really, is have a conversation with me. It needn't even be through VM or PM; in-thread chatting works too.

Speaking of Dattebayo, I miss him. He was a pleasure to talk to.

Funnily enough Dattebayo's on my facebook friends list. I have just a handful of serebii friends on facebook. With the serebii exception I only accept friends who I know in real life, and have had a few conversations with. I barely ever add people first, unless it's a really obvious addition like a best friend irl who's only just joined the site. I do have quite a few friends, mainly because I've moved a couple of times now and I've got a broad base of acquaintances.

I have a warm relationship with all my contacts online, with the notable exception of a couple of family members who add me on sites and then pointedly ignore me/don't get along with me. But I'll be seeing them at weddings and funerals so I don't want to cause friction over facebook, and besides, family is family.

Ultimate Champion

The Great Pokémon Master
Unless the person who sends me a friend request is someone who has proven to me that they are evil, I accept all friend requests, as I don't like rejecting them for some reasons. Friendship on forums mean nothing to me though.

Psychic

Really and truly
I only accept SPPf friend requests from members I'm actually friendly with. I'm mostly the same with Facebook, though if I just met an old friend on the street and they send me a friend request, I usually won't say no. I almost never add internet friends on my Facebook, though.

I'm also just not someone who likes/takes pride in having huge friend lists. :p

~Psychic

Phoopes

There it is.
I don't normally reject a friend request on Serebii. Only if it's someone I have never talked to before or have a general distaste for. There's not many in the second category, but there are a select few. Facebook is completely different. I hardly accept any of the friend requests I get there. Because many people I know are quite undesirable in my opinion. Read: if I'm aware that you smoke underage, drink underage, do drugs, sleep around, (etc.), 99.99% of the time you are not ending up on my friends list.

EDIT: Oh, I just realized someone mentioned Dattebayo. He was on my friends list before he got banned. Then I accidentally unchecked his name from my friends list because oversensitive touchpad on my old laptop was oversensitive a few days after he was banned.

Last edited:

Sidewinder

Ours is the Fury
Meh, I don't use Facebook. When it comes to different forums I visit though, I'll usually accept a friend request from someone I've had a friendly conversation with. I usually don't if I've never heard of that person before, but I'm willing to get to know almost anyone

MissDigitalis

love at first sting
I've made many great friendships online and have met with many of them in real life. Though I've met none on this site. I will almost always accept a friend request but I am reluctant to start or engage in conversation with a stranger. I prefer to get to know people through the forums and see how they handle other people and then I may talk with them privately after a while.

Indigoodra

On serebii, I'll just accept pretty much anyone. :/

I don't, won't, and don't care to know who you are, and likely vice versa.

DMerle

Guess who's back
I accept pretty much everyone, unless your a convicted sex offender or serial killer, and sometimes even then.

DasBoot

As a general rule, I don't accept random friend requests, mostly because I find them annoying and rather meaningless. But just because I don't accept random requests, that doesn't mean I don't enjoy a good conversation with anyone.

As for privacy settings and the like, I will usually keep my profile more private, and less things filled mostly because it is the internet, and the less people know about my personal life, the better.

Last edited:

The Wallflower

I'll tickle ur fancy
I accept friend requests but I don't come on here often enough to make friends. I prefer knowing people irl

Sadu-Hem

Ragnarok Bringer
Friends, eh?

...man, back in the day I had some real friends. I went on this forum that had every stripe of Pokemon Trainer. Smogonite, casual, rabid Yaoi Fangirl, 13-year-old...I knew all of them, and we were great friends.

Zevn

Lost in Translation
People I have talked to enough to internet-like them, I usually don't go out of my way to add people though.

Zwitter™

Surhomme
On Facebook, i generally add people who I can actually remember meeting them irl. There's a few exceptions with people who I have a mutual friend with but have had a good online conversation with.

Here I choose people generally who I've chatted with in thread and liked them. I don't really reject requests but I'm not going to try and add everyone to look like I know everyone as I don't need to.

sizida

CoconutIsTheAnswer
I am picky about choosing friends.

Firstly as this is a forum, anyone can see what I typed. So I only set my profile to be viewed only by friends. I do not want posts by random people posting nonsenses and trolling on my wall.

I am a friend seeker. Like real life, I have a preference for making friends.

Those who are annoying goes to my ignore list.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.