• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

A Full Coverage of Leon's Special Training!! (1189)

Risrhayne

This was a very boring episode. “Have we ever told you how AMAAAAAAZING Leon is? We have? Well we’re doing again!”

I personally hate Leon, so I didn’t really care for yet another episode building him up as this great guy. I get that he was specifically designed to be a football/soccer star, but that doesn’t mean I can’t hate the endless worshipping. He gives me some Metro Man vibes where I feel like him losing would secretly please him as it would give him a chance to breathe and do something other than battle. I didn’t feel bad when I wrecked him in SwSh, I felt like I did him a favor.

It was HOP that I felt bad for beating and it’s a darn shame that Sonia wrote him off like Leon’s burden in this episode. I wish Hop was Ash’s rival this season, but I get why he wasn’t; viewers would honestly want Hop to beat Ash so he can face his brother. He has more of an incentive to win, having grown up in the champ’s shadow and that’s leagues better than Ash just wanting to fight stronger and stronger trainers.

If there’s anything I can thank Sonia for, it was sparing us a Goh Galar Catching Spree. Really wasn’t looking forward to them bulldozing through all of the Galarmons yet to appear, so I hope we come back to Galar to do more than polish Leon’s shoes for the umpteenth time.

Mr.Munchlax

Great Ball Rank Trainer
I love how Sonia basically manhandled Goh into her car & how oblivious she was to being a lousy driver. It’s little flourishes like these that make the characters feel more dynamic!

Yce288

Grass type FTW
Was that a Jojo reference when Leon said he wanted to train at the sea? i instantly thought of that Youtube video that shows Jotaro dances near the ocean with the song Ocean Man playing in the background.

DigitalTrainer

Worried about everything
Yes it seems like Hoothoot really was just an animator error as it isn't among his Johto pokemon, even Suicune appeared. Other offscreen catches also showed with their native region (not capture region).

Goh also caught a Gossifleur.
Wait Suicune appeared? You taking about the opening?

British Soul

Top Hat Regulator
Not an essay time:
With regards to the new opening... sorry, the 4th iteration of 1-2-3, because we can't be writing new songs for the OP unlike the ED themes can we? (smile) I like that it showed visuals from all the core regions and various pokemon Go had caught originating from that region. Other elements from the OP that I liked that the OP included the part where the two new Regis and Regigigas are seen towering over the Split-Decision Ruins facing Go, Asahi and Tsurugi, as well as the anime remembering Gary's Arcanine exists (something this series has done well), considering it's been over 900 episodes since that last appeared, not forgetting showing some of Ash's past companions and rivals including Paul, who I wasn't expecting to see in the OP (granted he has appeared in a flashback already in this series, but that's besides the point) as well as Greninja of course.
Onto the episode:
How on brand for Ash, oversleeping when he promised he'd wake up early, but if he hadn't overslept, we wouldn't have learned that Naoki Ishida... I mean Flint was part of the Masters 8. (Context: this is the first time I'm hearing Flint in JP, and when I heard his JP voice, I was like "is that Naoki Ishida?") Of course we can't have Ash interacting with Flint, but we did get the next best thing, flashbacks from his DP appearances. I suppose it was nice to see Leon having fun with wild pokemon, whilst also us as the viewer get more insight on his character and the insecurities he has, like during the Darkest Day and Eternatus, though I do have questions like who thought it was a good idea to just randomly recall your flying-type whilst in midair, yeah totally safe, granted Leon did have his Dragapult catch him and Ash, but it could've gone horribly wrong, then again this is a kid's show so obviously no danger. To give Sonia some credit in this episode, she did offer some exposition as to what Leon was like as a kid, as well as preventing Go from catching too many Galar pokemon (just one is enough for an episode not focusing on Go), and I'll overlook her forcing Go into her car and endangering their lives with her obviously terrible driving, not that Leon is any better with his sense of direction, or lack-there-of.

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
Again, liking Pokemon even a little bit is not exactly groundbreaking. Everyone in this universe likes Pokemon.

How the hell could anybody look at Leon and wonder "does he like Pokemon?" when he's a very sunny guy with a beard. I'm pretty sure his in-universe fanbase even knows that.

FlygontheRavager

#1 Pokémon Anime Fan!
You guys do realize that "Leon likes Pokemon" isn't the point here, right? The point they were making in this episode is that Leon is basically a grown-up Ash, and not just in that he likes Pokemon a lot. He's fun-loving, he's a total doof, and he has a great amount of empathy, all of which are traits he shares with Ash. Those similarities are why they identify so much with each other, why they have such a close relationship, and why they're so excited to take each other on.

It feels like some of you are taking the dialogue much too literally. You should focus less on what was said out loud and more on what the words actually meant.

Last edited:

santiagus

I watched Pokemon anime for 20 freaking years
He is a boring champ.

I hope Pokespain champ is much better than this joke.

And that he/she has an interesting team. No Charizard. No shenanigans.

I'm really tired of this. One thing is having respect for the champion. The other thing is kissing his ass.

And that's what Ash does, he kiss his ass.

Ash Kisser.

FlygontheRavager

#1 Pokémon Anime Fan!
He is a boring champ.

I hope Pokespain champ is much better than this joke.

And that he/she has an interesting team. No Charizard. No shenanigans.

I'm really tired of this. One thing is having respect for the champion. The other thing is kissing his ass.

And that's what Ash does, he kiss his ass.

Ash Kisser.
His relationship with Leon is perfectly healthy; in fact, at this point, I'd say they'v become friends. You're just calling it "ass kissing" because you don't like him.

STICKTOPIA

DuskAstral

- I'm glad we met another member of M8

- but Infernape was Flint's, and rightly so. It would be strange if Satoshi had a fire monkey out of nowhere

- I felt something that the creators would refer to the lack of orientation in the field of Dande

- the scene where Sonia drives carelessly and Gou's reaction to it - priceless

- it's nice that Sonia mentioned Hop, although it's a pity that his image did not appear

- I really liked the way Satoshi and Dande spent time together

- nice that there are flashbacks from "Darkest Day"