• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

A Ghost Of A Chance! (183)

Vernikova

Champion
It was a nice episode. The anime rarely messes up Gym Leaders and it was no different here. Watching this epiosde again, it reminds me how dropped that Ho-Oh plot truly is. It would be ridiculous at this point to bring that plot idea back.

7threst

Wow, after hearing the narrator reiterating "On the way to Ecruteak City", they finally arrived and I think they introduced the gym leader, Morty, in a very fashionable way with some of his ghost Pokémon being introduced too.

On the side note, James is sooo oblivious to scams.

Blessed

Finally at Ecruteak City! This was a very good episode to introduce Morty, a favorite Gym Leader of mine. The fire illusion produced by the Ghost Pokemon was a dirty trick, it reminded me of the Hoothoot episode. Poor Jessie and Meowth having to deal with James being so gullible. Togepi wandering off is always funny. Lastly, it was interesting to learn about the history of the Burnt Tower from Morty.

LizardonX

Banned
I wonder if this ep is where littlekuriboh got his you don't stand a ghost of a chance running gag.

Aquarelle

Staff member
I enjoyed hearing about the history of Ecruteak since I've always liked the story about Ho-Oh and the towers. It was nice that Ash recognized that Ho-Oh was the Pokemon he saw at the beginning of his journey. I also liked Morty and the Ghost type Pokemon in this episode. Morty's ability to understand all the Ghost Pokemon was very interesting IMO and I thought his Gengar was very strong. I liked how the ghosts were quite sneaky and created that illusion of fire. Also, I thought Team Rocket's plot with the Itemfinder was pretty funny because of James's reaction to finding all those bottle caps.

zhixun

An example of the anime makes no sense since normal type and ghost type should immune against each other. This episode was quite focused on Kojiro in my opinion since there were many occasions for the bottle caps using the itemfinder. I particularly liked the scene when Rocket was surprised to see Pikachu and Togepy came to them. Generally this episode was not bad at all.

I liked how the show brought to light how Foresight makes a physical attack able to hit a ghost type. :)
The history of the burned tower being told by Morty was pretty interesting.

Gillachu

Banned
So Ho-Oh was finally referred to by name. And Ecruteak City looked accurate with the games, so that was a good thing...

Mrs. Oreo

Banned
Ecruteak looked amazing and I liked how James got tricked into purchasing an Itemfinder. Morty was cool as well and I liked how Ash finally learned that the mysterious pokemon he saw in Kanto was a Ho-Oh.

JudySpell

Banned
Ecruteak City looked exactly like Kyoto but I didn't like seeing Togepi get lost for the hundredth time. I liked all the Ghosts though. 7/10

Leonhart

Imagineer
Satoshi and friends arrived in Enju City here, and it was great seeing how accurate the locale was to the Jouto games. Kojirou buying the Dowsing Machine was humorous since he has a habit of getting scammed, and I was pleased to see Enju City's Burned Tower, as well as Matsuba explaining its origin story and Houou.

Wednesdayz

Meowth fanatic
Huh, I had forgotten that in this episode we actually learned the identity of the mystery Pokemon Ash saw when starting his journey: it was also a great story on the history of the Brass Tower.

Mrs. Oreo

Banned
Infernando (or whatever the clown's name was) being based on a Firebreather was my favorite thing about that. ;)

I liked seeing a GSC trainer class show up too hee hee, tho I would've preferred if he had showed up inside the Burned Tower here like the Firebreathers in the Johto games. :3

Wednesdayz

Meowth fanatic
I didn't mind the G/S/C Fire Breather guy who we saw here, but if we had to see one important G/S/C character in the Burned Tower, it should've been Eusine.

Mrs. Oreo

Banned
I didn't mind the G/S/C Fire Breather guy who we saw here, but if we had to see one important G/S/C character in the Burned Tower, it should've been Eusine.

Actually I don't think Eusine even existed at this point in the Gen 2 era cuz Crystal hadn't been released yet hee hee. Tho we did eventually get to see Eusine in Ecruteak city when Ash and his group went back after Olivine city. ^^