• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

A Goldenrod Opportunity! (160)

Serebii

And, as if by magic, the webmaster appeared...
Staff member
Admin
A Goldenrod Opportunity!

Entering Goldenrod City, Ash dicovers a Clefairy...wondering if it has a trainer, he gives chase to find it's trainer is none other than Whitney, the Goldenrod Gym Leader. He challenges her to a battle and she accepts. Will Ash win?

Visit The Episode Guide

Discuss

charizard trainer #1

Ready to lose???
Ash had a great start with a horrible ending- i feel miltank was a bit 'overpowerful'. Well, that's my opinion.

Heracross

Custom User Title
I don't think it was too powerful, Rollout was meant to be a very powerful move, and there isn't really much you can do to stop it. I remember I had a really tough time against Whitney in Gold.>< Besides, Ash hadn't lost a gym battle since Blaine's gym, he has to loose eventually. You know, I really wish I had seen the whole episode. I just came home from school one day and turned on the TV to see it already halfway through. I've still never seen the first half.=/ That's kinda sad considering this episode is like three years old now at least, and it's even more annoying because I think Whitney is one of the cutest girls in pokémon and yet I still haven't seen the whole episode with her in it.

Last edited:

charizard trainer #1

Ready to lose???
Heracross said:
That's kinda sad considering this episode is like three years old now at least, and it's even more annoying because I think Whitney is one of the cutest girls in pokémon and yet I still haven't seen the whole episode with her in it.

You got that right! She is really cute but not in the same league as Flannery.

O

oldychamp

Adding on...

Quite some time ago, I thought I saw a spike ball in the upper right-hand corner of the screen (such as in the picture below) towards the end of Goldenrod Opportunity after Ash lost.
BTW, do any of the episodes of Pokémon actually have the spike ball/donut/smoke ring/big blotch/black bubble in the upper right hand corner?

22SINGIN.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
F

Factory Head Noland

Edit button, doesn't hurt to use it... >_>

Isn't this episode in the Johto Journeys series? I'm sure it is.

I was thinking of this episode the other day I was thinking why does Whitney, a Normal type Gym Leader, have a Nidorina, a Poison type Pokemon??
Of ALL the Normal types out there she has a Poison type. It just doesn't add up (2+2=5)...

Heracross

Custom User Title
No, this was the very first episode of Johto League Champions.

I also wondered what she was doing with a Nidoran. It's just... wtf? You don't see Morty going around using an Abra.:p I could understand if gym leaders kept other kinds of pokémon besides what their gym specializes in, but why would she use one in an official battle?

G

Gryphon Turboclaw

Heracross said:

I also wondered what she was doing with a Nidoran. It's just... wtf? You don't see Morty going around using an Abra.:p I could understand if gym leaders kept other kinds of pokémon besides what their gym specializes in, but why would she use one in an official battle?

Remember how her gym was staffed with all female trainers(and I believe that her pokemon were both female as well)? That *Nidorina* was probably an additional nod to Whitney's all-female theme. This wouldn't be the first time that an out-of-type pokemon made it onto a GL's official roster, either...remember Sabrina's Venomoth from the games, and Blaine's Rhydon from the anime? Not to mention that the Squirtle line, Golem, the Shellder line, Lapras, the Omanyte line, the Pineco line, Pupitar, and Shelgon all fit quite well into Flannery's shelled/evolves-into-shelled pokemon theme.

Side Note: Isn't there an Ash/Whitney ship kicking around?

O

oldychamp

Heracross said:

The original airing has the Johto Journeys opening sequence. I have the tapes to prove it.

cold_katanagirl

Link Master
God, Whitney KILLED me the first time I battled her. Roll out NEVER seemed to miss.

Meh, I was glad Ash lost though. Because I wanted him to for no reason. I was annoyed that he had to go and use Cyndaquil, Totodile, and Pikachu just to take out one pokemon. It seemed to me they could have just made Pikachu do everything. Kind of surprised me that they didn't...

DarkWobbuffet

BEEEEAAAARR!!!
I thought it was pretty understandable that Ash lost this battle. It's pretty safe to say almost all of us lost to Whitney when we fought her for the first time. (I know I sure did XP) A very nice episode indeed. Whitney trying to guide Ash and the others around was great, and I was cracking up when they accidently wound up where she wanted to take them in the first place. XD

I'm a bit confused about Whitney using a Nidorina myself. I mean, I understand she had a third Pokemon so the match could be 3 on 3, but couldn't they had used Sentret or Ratatta instead?

V

vulpix

this episode cracked me up Whitney is clumsy and cluless half the time.

O

oldychamp

vulpix said:
this episode cracked me up Whitney is clumsy and cluless half the time.
LOL ;069; it was so funny too! It remains my favorite to this day!

wobbanut

Team Awesome
Whitney may not be one of my top favorite gym leaders, but she is very funny in this episode. I like her scatterbrained run through the underground with the twerps trying to find the Galleria and the hamburger place. :D I also liked the part where Clefairy got mad at Pikachu for running into it, and the part where Pikachu walks while Team Rocket's trying to make their getaway. LOL

I didn't like the gym battle very much, since the wins over Whitney's first two pokemon were WAY too easy for a gym battle (though I did like clefairy doing a magickarp splash :D ). At least part two was a lot better.

I was thinking of this episode the other day I was thinking why does Whitney, a Normal type Gym Leader, have a Nidorina, a Poison type Pokemon??
Of ALL the Normal types out there she has a Poison type. It just doesn't add up (2+2=5)...
I've always thought it was to counter any Fighting types. Poison is resistant against Fighting attacks, right?

S_P

Soul Trainer
Pika Hikari KT said:
I've always thought it was to counter any Fighting types. Poison is resistant against Fighting attacks, right?

My understanding of the use of Nidorina was that although it's clearly a poison type, it's "relatively normal".

Also, poison being resistant against fighting doesn't seem apparent. Otherwise, the use of a Pidgey or a Girafarig would have allowed the type advantage (even though in the game, Normal would cancel the Flying and Psychic resistances). Anyhow, it might be indirectly similar to Blain'e Rhydon, where the conditions match it's parametres. Rhydon can resist the large temperatures of the volcano, and Nidorina is ... as normal as you can get.

Not only that, but Whitney, supposedly having a gym (and farm) full of pokemon, would have access to more than 3 (though she clearly could have carried only 3 pokemon, which would force her to use Nidorina at the time anyhow, especially since it was an offday originally). Or you can apply the fact that Whitney carrying one is completely reasonable in general. So the style may simply be "start off, and get progressively better". Of course, Clefairy getting an unlucky Metronome was another thing, but Miltank having a larger amount of power is rather reasonable, because of the similar of focus of power it has (aka a team leader, or something).

I wanted to see this episode again, any language really xD, but there were so many episodes in this series that I missed most of it.

The power difference is reasonable, to say the least. Whitney's a nice gym leader. Though, it would seem strange that the large clumyness and cluenessness is within the same person that has a well focused powerful Miltank.

Umi Mizuno

☠ one girl army
Heh, I actually saw this episode in both English and Japanese and I have to say that Whitney's Japanese voice isn't bad at all. Her english voice could use a few tweeks, well anyway the episode itself was good. Especially the part where James didn't know what a free sample was. xD