• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

A Grand Fight for Winning! (645)

JD

Well Zoey wins no surprise their really, Dawn could have won if she didnt mess up at two Vital points during the battle. One when Zoey took controll at the beggining and dawn lost a lot of points and two when Glameow latched onto Togekiss's back if Dawn would've had deflected a few of Zoeys attacks she possibly could've. Another thing Jessie threw away her Jessilina outfit a possible hint of no contest in Isshu?

Kdude146

This was my fave EP so far in season 13! I knew Dawn was going to losse the battle and when Ash was getting happy but her mom had that :( face on that gave it a way that Zoey was going to win and for Jessie she needs sometime to cool down from this she will be back into contests in the next saga and Dawn said no to go with zoey so that means no more AppealShipping

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
This ep was alright. The battle was good if only lacking the intensity of attacks back and forth. Most of it was just blocking the opponents appeals/attacks.

Man, Zoey is way too overglorified. I can't remember the last time she lost aside from when May beat her.

Runty

This might sound petty of me, but I'm gonna come out and say it anyways: would it kill the writers to let a main character WIN a grand tourney at least ONCE? Seriously, EVERY SINGLE TIME, Ash and co end up losing and forfeit the win to someone else. Can't the writers let them taste total victory at least once? Or is that some sort of taboo in anime these days?

(Oh, and I don't count Ash's victory at the Orange Islands as a grand tourney win. He only had to fight one opponent in that, not several.)

I REALLY hope they don't repeat this in Ash's next tournament. I know the likelihood is about 99.99% due to some rule, but I honestly think they should just let Ash WIN FOR ONCE. Jeez...

And if they can't do that, at least don't have Ash take it in stride when he loses this time! I want to see some frustration; that'd be more HUMAN of him, not adhering to some anime cliche.

Who else agrees with me?

Juputoru

M-m-m-m-onobear?!
-Last time:Zoey and Dawn did stuff. No, not that way. Stop seeing lesbianism everywhere!
-Dawn's using Togekiss and Piplup. People surprised:Zero.
-Nando looks shady as fuck watching the match in the shadows like that.
-I still can't get over how huge Togekiss is.
-Fewer internal monologues that I can't understand, more contest battles that I can make fun of! Is that really too much to ask for?
-Oh look, Dawn's deadbeat mother finally deigned to show up in person to her own daughter competing in the Grand Festival. I'd like to see her explain to Dawn why she didn't come earlier(as in, any time before the last battle of the entire festival) since it clearly took very little time for her to get there. Seriously, what the hell Johanna?
-Zoey's taking the upper hand already!
-I like how Jessie's still in her Candy Musalina outfit while James and Meowth are just hanging around in their TR uniforms. Disguises? Pfft, who needs 'em?
-What did Glameow just use? Fake Out?
-Seeing Gallade fire a beam out of the middle of its chest is slightly freaky.
-Using a ghost move against a normal type? Zoey clearly has a plan.
-Togekiss freaking out about Glameow being on its back is funnier than it should be.
-Judging by all the "double battle"s they're throwing around, I'm guessing Dawn's failing because she's bad at coordinating two Pokemon at once?
-How convenient that both sides are losing points, but Dawn's still worse off because of how the battle started. This is setting up for either a come-from-behind win or a narrow loss.
-Dawn's suddenly catching up to Zoey. Victory is still an option!
-Montage time! I spy Salvia, Yuri, Candice(with her class!), and a rather grumpy Kengo.
-Catching Whirpool in Iron Tail? That does it, this GF cannot possibly get any stranger.
-Dawn's theme is kicking in! We all know what this means!
-It's down to the wire! Still shots are flying everywhere! Dawn's theme has hit the chorus! There's a big explosion! And!...
-Dawn barely lost. But that's clearly an awesome thing, since Pokemon Symphonic Medley 2 is starting up.
-Jessie's more pissed off about Dawn's loss than Dawn is! And from what I've heard, she gave up coordinating in this scene. Noooooooooooooo! It's like the writers literally cannot stand themselves if they let a member of Team Rocket get too competent at something. Hopefully Gen 5 contests/whatever has some damned good rivals so I'm not missing the spice Candy Musalina added to DP contests.
-Dawn's thrilled that her mom finally got off her lazy ass and came to see her GF performance in person.
-I have to say, I like how the writers remember a detail as little as the ribbon Johanna gave Dawn alllllll the way back at the start of DP. Hell, the only reason *I* remember that thing is because the writers brought it up again in recent memory.
-Looking at this generic sunset scene, I have to say...Zoey should really give Scott his sunglasses back.

I'm actually kinda glad Nozomi wins. Now she has a reason to retire and leave all her competitors alone, and never give them such hideous advice ever (you guys know what I'm talking about).

I'm hearing rumors about Jessie hanging up the Miss Mushashi costume, any truth to these? Guess it means there will be no more contests ever.

You are still whining about Aipom-Buizel trade? Seriously get over it, its the end of Sinnoh coming up now.

So I guess Ash should have lost to Gary then and May should have lost to Drew then, huh? Oh what's that? You don't have a biased grudge against them? Okay, move along then.

There is a difference between Ash, May and Dawn. Dawn can't win too much consecutively. She has to lose once after some minimum wins.

I can't remember the last time she lost aside from when May beat her.

I can remember Zoey vs Nando in Hearthome where she lost humiliatingly after saying that trainers shouldn't do both gyms and contests. But over time she has matured even more than Dawn.
Dawn fell for that shadow claw move. If she had known that Shadow Claw can't hurt Togekiss she would have won. And in the end if Zoey hadn't even countered Dawn's combo, she would have won nonetheless cause it wouldn't have hit Zoey's Pokemon in time.

Anyone noticed that GF was not a big deal in Sinnoh? Let me point some examples:
Foreground: -The best battle was in Semi Finals(Zoey vs Nando)
-Some battles were cheap
-Lack of coordinator from out of Sinnoh made the competition easy so that -even Jessie made it to the Semis.

Background: -The crowd\spectators weren't enthusiastic
-The contest hall was cheap(I think they used all money in Wallace Cup)
-Ending ceremony was dull

I hope they remove contest from next gen if they want to continue this behavior.

May-chan

Watashi, Makenai!
guess that's that... good job dawn, especially for your first time out.
congrats zoey, you earned it! you and your pokemon were just amazing!
aw, jessie! :(

now i'm looking forward to see how ash will do in the league. i'm hoping for ash finally beating paul and misty's appearance in dp. *crosses fingers*

The Great Butler

Hush, keep it down
Sorely disappointed in this final battle. After the truly epic Nando VS. Zoey match last week, seeing another battle written very similarly but without the ferocity that Nando and Zoey went at each other with was a huge letdown.

It looked like a variety of factors were stacked in Zoey's favor in this match - it looked to me that Dawn's points were decreasing at a much more rapid pace than hers even though they were more evenly matched than it appeared. Also, she literally pulled Thunder Armor out and used it at the end, even if it wasn't as cool as it was when Ash did it.

I'm saying this from a totally objective viewpoint - Nando was the best contestant in this Grand Festival. He showed the best appeal, much better than Jesus Zoey or Dawn's ice slide, and in the one battle of his we got to see, he would have won if Zoey didn't pull a deus ex machina with Winged Leafeon.

KingMinun

Dawn/Sinnoh Fan!
There is a difference between Ash, May and Dawn. Dawn can't win too much consecutively. She has to lose once after some minimum wins.

I can remember Zoey vs Nando in Hearthome where she lost humiliatingly after saying that trainers shouldn't do both gyms and contests. But over time she has matured even more than Dawn.
Dawn fell for that shadow claw move. If she had known that Shadow Claw can't hurt Togekiss she would have won. And in the end if Zoey hadn't even countered Dawn's combo, she would have won nonetheless cause it wouldn't have hit Zoey's Pokemon in time.

Oh can you just shut it for once, if you have nothing nice to say then leave, and stop bashing the characters.
Where the hell have you been these last 4 years?
You have seen the many times Dawn lost haven't you? And you don't remember that May hardly ever lost right?

And give her a break just because you remember what types are super effective/not effective/doesn't affect, doesn't mean everyone else does.

Vipsoccermaster

From the look of things, it looks like my guess was wrong. I'm still behind, but I'll get to it eventually. I wonder what had happened in the battle from my viewpoint.

AshMayMistyHikarifan

Zoey won. I just can't believe it. What a shame....

Man, first the Cavs get blown out, Lakers and Boston may be having another 500th meeting in the final, Sharks about to choke in the NHL, now Dawn blows the contest. This was like Ari/Pitt, how the Steelers wonat the last minute in Zoey to take the Superbowl of contests. I can't see how its' a new beginning for Dawn when a fan like me sheds tears of the end for Dawn.

cauldronmaster

Personally, i liked the battle. I agree with Zoey winning, but not for the reasons you guys posted. My logic is below:

You have the wrong idea. Not all rivalrys in this show are competitive. Unlike Ash and May, Dawn never exactly had an explicit goal to actually beat her main rival. Her goal was to match her mothers reputation as a master coordinator. In fact, Zoey has always been portrayed as a mentor to dawn than a traditional rival, teaching her not only contest techniques but also mental skills for use in tough situations in battle and daily life in general.

In simpler terms, Dawn's relationship with Zoey is comprable to that of Ash and a random E4 member/Champion. Almost every ep that features an E4 member involves Ash learning either a specific battling skill (Bruno: "secret" of pokemon training, Lorelei: Inner strength, Drake: Battle focus, Bertha: observation) or simply a good lot of anecdotes (Aaron, Cynthia) that he applies in a near-future episode. Zoey took the role of not only teaching those skills to dawn, but also showing how it can be appied to contest battling/appeals. In fact, there were even instances where she literally went out of her way (see dp 60? (team shocker)) to find Dawn and help her train her pokemon.

Think of this GF's final battle as student-sensei battle where the student far exceeded the sensei's expectations (as seen with zoey's reactions to togekiss' moves)

As for Ash vs Paul: Unlike Dawn and Zoey, this rivalry is of the more traditional kind, meaning it is actually fueled by antagonism and tension. As such, it is impossible for the writers to achieve the aforementioned student-sensei effect with Ash and Paul. Therefore, Ash will defeat his main rival in the Sinnoh League.

jolteonjak

*swoons for Noland*

Dawn did comment on that move though. I believe she was wondering why she used Shadow Claw against Togekiss. I don't have the exact translation because my Japanese sucks.

She knows about types. Back in the first contest Zoey used Shadow Claw against Buneary. Dawn commented about it then, but it turned out Zoey used the attack to break the ice. She even used it against Aipom I think...

Lily Nadesico

This might sound petty of me, but I'm gonna come out and say it anyways: would it kill the writers to let a main character WIN a grand tourney at least ONCE? Seriously, EVERY SINGLE TIME, Ash and co end up losing and forfeit the win to someone else. Can't the writers let them taste total victory at least once? Or is that some sort of taboo in anime these days?

(Oh, and I don't count Ash's victory at the Orange Islands as a grand tourney win. He only had to fight one opponent in that, not several.)

I REALLY hope they don't repeat this in Ash's next tournament. I know the likelihood is about 99.99% due to some rule, but I honestly think they should just let Ash WIN FOR ONCE. Jeez...

And if they can't do that, at least don't have Ash take it in stride when he loses this time! I want to see some frustration; that'd be more HUMAN of him, not adhering to some anime cliche.

Who else agrees with me?

This. Quoted for truth.

I am very annoyed myself that the writer didn't let Dawn win, and I think it was an immense injustice to Dawn's character. I have nothing against Zoey, and I think she's a terrific Coordinator, but... seriously, it was only fair that Dawn could win this. After all the hardships, training, sadness and learned lessons, she deserved nothing less than the first place.

And I am even more annoyed that Dawn took her defeat in stride. It's as if she was aware that the writers wouldn't let her win and she'd have to content herself with whatever little was left for her. Really, Dawn's character and her hard work to better herself has been spat on.

Seriously, do the producers think we ENJOY seeing such beloved characters fail every single time? Even worse when they make Ash forget all the basics just so they can contrive a loss...

cauldronmaster

Quick question: Can anyone tell me the name of the track that plays from when piplup hydropumps glameow off of togekiss up to when dawn commands the peck-sky attack combo?

(also the name of the track that follows would be nice)

EDIT: apparently, the latter track is "kimi no soba de" but im more interested in the track that comes right before it.

Last edited:

KingMinun

Dawn/Sinnoh Fan!
Quick question: Can anyone tell me the name of the track that plays from when piplup hydropumps glameow off of togekiss up to when dawn commands the peck-sky attack combo?

(also the name of the track that follows would be nice)

EDIT: apparently, the latter track is "kimi no soba de" but im more interested in the track that comes right before it.

The song that plays when Piplup uses Hydro Pump is Kimi no soba de, like you said, which is Dawn's theme. The song that plays when Zoey wins is "Pokémon Symphonic Medley 2" which features most of the DP songs, in an orcharisture (sorry for spelling there) style. I found this on youtube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Z6lErQOpEE

Eevee7ways

Sonica Boooom!
Can someone tell me what eeee kay means? Its that thing that dawn says around the peck and sky attack combo.