• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

A guide to stall

Guide to stall

Contents:

1. A brief background to stall

2. Residual damage

3. Important roles on a stall team

4. Building the team

5. Threats to stall teams

6. Examples of good stall / semistall teams

A brief background to stall:

To most players stall is classed as cheap and broken, although this is not the case. Stall is probably the hardest type of playstyle to create and use. It is not as simple as bringing Blissey in on Gengar, then switching to Skarmory when Metagross comes in and finally going to Cresselia when the opponent brings in Cresselia. This is how many perceive stall, but it is played completely differently. Firstly, stall is not like the other two main playstyles [Balanced and offensive]. It does not focus on using attacking moves to defeat the opponent, but more relies on constant building up of residual damage. Residual damage is generally in the form of weather and entry hazards. Of course, damage received from Toxic is also classed as residual damage. Stall then focuses on forcing switches in order to increase the damage done to the opponent’s team. Usually there are two types of stall. Heavy stall and semi-stall or stall-based balance are the two categories stall teams are most commonly grouped into. Stall-based balance follows the same basic principles as heavy stall, but plays slightly differently. Stall-based balance is played slightly more offensively than full stall. Unlike heavy stall, stall-based balance does threaten the opponent’s team offensively and pokemon who do not mind residual damage [such as Flygon and most steels] are hard pressed. Stall-based balance also runs things like CM + Roar Latias or a lategame SD Scizor to clean up.

Residual damage:

Stealth Rock:
Stealth Rock is placed on the opponent's field and damages any Pokémon when they switch in. The base damage is 12.5%, and is affected by the target's susceptibility to Rock; Pokémon that are 4x weak to Rock will receive 50% max HP damage; 2x weak to Rock will result in 25%; a 2x resist will take 6.25%, and any Pokémon with a 4x resistance to Rock will only receive 3.125% max HP damage. This lasts until the opponent uses Rapid Spin.

Perhaps the most commonly known entry hazard is just as necessary on stall teams as it is on offensive teams. Stealth Rock has long been considered one of the best, if not the best move in the game. Stealth Rock is extremely useful at keeping horribly annoying threats to stall teams like Gyarados and Salamence at bay.

Spikes:
Does 12.5% damage with one layer, 18.75% damage with two layers, and 25% damage with three layers to the enemy when they switch in a new Pokémon. Is removed from opponent's side of the field when they use Rapid Spin. Flying Pokémon and Pokémon with the ability Levitate are immune. Hits through Wonder Guard.

Spikes are probably the second most important entry hazard and rips 25% off any grounded pokemon that switchs in, provided you have 3 layers up. Paired with Stealth Rock, it can take 37% off something such as Tyranitar, effectively giving it only 2 times to come in if it lacks any form of recovery including leftovers.

Toxic Spikes:
This move lays down poison-inducing spikes on the opponent's field. If this move is used twice, the Toxic Spikes will cause toxic poison.

If the opponent uses Rapid Spin, the Toxic Spikes are removed. If a player switches in a grounded Poison-type Pokemon while Toxic Spikes are on that player's side of the field, the Toxic Spikes are removed, even if Safeguard is in effect or the Pokemon is Baton Passed a Substitute.

Toxic Spikes do not affect Poison-, Flying-, or Steel-type Pokémon, or Pokémon with the ability Levitate.

Toxic Spikes help wear down many problematic pokemon for stall teams such as Tyranitar and Swampert, who cannot be OHKOed by any attack on the team. With Toxic Spikes and Life Orb, most sweepers will be put on a timer. Toxic Spikes is also useful against opposing stall teams [provided they have not spun away the hazards] and Blissey, who can be a huge pain to take down.

Weather:
Any pokemon that does not resist the weather [in Sandstorm's case, rock, ground and steel types and in Hail's case, ice types], will lose 6.25% of their health at the end of every turn.

Weather is not 100% necessary for stall teams but can be extremely useful. It effectively nullifies leftovers recovery so pokemon such as Vaporeon arent as much as a hindrance as they would be normally.

Important roles on a stall team:

Note: In alphabetical order, not importance

Last-poke sweep stoppers:

Most poorly built stall teams lose to pokemon such as CurseLax and CroCune as they are unable to phaze them when they are the only pokemon left. These pokemon are then able to set up and sweep your stall team. There are a few ways to deal with such a problem. One is through Perish Song. Perish Song forces both pokemon out at the current time of use to switch out after 3 turns or faint. Unfortunately there is only a few viable pokemon who can actually run it and finding a spot for one of them is hard. The second way is by tricking a choice item to the said pokemon. This locks them into one move. It is generally the safest way to stop last-poke sweeps, as after Platinum’s release, many pokemon were graced with the move. The last way is through more unorthodox ways, such as Taunt. Encore users also fit into this category.

Examples of Perish Song users: Celebi

Examples of Trick users: Jirachi, Rotom, Latias, Azelf, Metagross

Examples of Taunt users: Skarmory, Gliscor

[P]hazer:

A Phazer or Psuedo-hazer or two is very important to the success of a stall team. The first reason is that it forces the opponent’s pokemon to switch out and stops opponents from setting up on you. Phazing also stops Baton Pass chains and removes Substitutes. With a load of entry hazards on your opponent’s side of the field, they will be hard pressed to switchin after being forced out by either Whirlwind or Roar.

Examples of Phazers: Skarmory, Hippowdon, Gyarados, Zapdos

Rapid Spinner:

Stall teams will be switching around a lot. By using Rapid Spin you are able to remove all hazards on the field such as Spikes and Stealth Rock. This is especially important should you come up against another stall team, as both teams will be switching around a lot and the passive damage will build up. Rapid Spinning is also very useful as it gives you more freedom in switching. Unfortunately, or fortunately, depending on what side you are on, Rapid Spinning is not full proof. Rapid Spin is a normal type attack, and therefore ghosts are immune to it. Most stall teams have some way to fix this, an example is giving Forretress Payback or Starmie 36 SpAtk EVs and Hydro Pump [which is enough to 2HKO 252 HP / 0 SpDef Rotom after Stealth Rocks. By making these small changes, Rapid Spinning should be easier.

Examples of Rapid Spinners: Forretress, Starmie, Tentacruel

Rapid Spin blocker:

It can be an incredible annoyance when someone Rapid Spins all your precious spikes that you have set up over the course of up to 6 turns. This is why a rapid spin blocker is so crucial to the success of a stall team, and it will be very difficult to have a successful stall team without one. In fact, I would say that it is 100% necessary. The ghost typing isn’t completely restricted to stopping Rapid Spin, as it can be useful in stopping powerful explosions and fighting type attacks, as often a team’s best answer to stall is to explode.

Examples of Rapid Spin blockers: Rotom – A, Spiritomb, Dusknoir

Spiker:

Before you begin forcing switches and the like, the opponent needs to be losing health every switch. A spiker is a pokemon that is used to set up any form of entry hazard and is not limited to just setting up spikes. It is generally not a good idea to try and set up all of your hazards with one pokemon, such as running a Forretress with the moveset Toxic Spikes | Spikes | Stealth Rock | Rapid Spin. Even though Forretress is very physically bulky, even it will struggle to set up all entry hazards, as it requires 6 turns to do so. Instead it is better to spread the spiking duties between 2 or more pokemon, a classic example being Skarmory and Tentacruel. Remember, it is not required to have all entry hazards on a stall team, and Stealth Rock and Spikes are the two most useful out of the three.

Examples of Spikers: Skarmory, Forretress, Nidoqueen, Tentacruel, Roserade

Status Absorber:

One of the biggest enemies to stall teams is status. Sleep, poison and burn damage can wear down your members of the team fast, even if most of them run recovery. The safest way to deal with status is through a Rest + Sleep Talk user, who can switch in to the multiple amounts of status and be unaffected due to Rest. Whilst sleeping, it can still do something via Sleep Talk. The second option is to give one of your pokemon Heal Bell or Aromatherapy, completely removing your whole team from status. The problem with that is not many pokemon actually have access to one of these moves and it will be relatively predictable when you are to use one. Almost every pokemon in the game can learn Rest and Sleep Talk, so it is much easier to find a space for one of these than a cleric. Natural Cure is another way to relieve your team of status although is very unreliable, as after you switch, the pokemon loses the status ailment meaning sleep clause is broken, allowing Breloom to Spore another member of your team.

Examples of ResTalkers: Rotom, Gyarados, Tyranitar

Examples of Clerics: Celebi, Blissey

Wish support:

Some members of your stall team will not have instant recovery, or may have no recovery at all, so it is very useful to have a Wish supporter. Wish allows one pokemon to heal the pokemon you switch in the next turn by ½ their full health. Pokemon such as Forretress and Tentacruel absolutely adore Wish support.

Examples of Wish supporters: Blissey, Vaporeon

Building the stall team:

Now that the basic premise of a stall team and what is required has been seen, you now come to the building stage. The building stage will follow the way I build my stall teams, which is a relatively simple process. Before any criticism, I would like to say that this team being created is certainly not the best stall team out there, and probably has room for improvement. It is just an example team.

Choosing a spiker

Finding a spiker is the first objective I look for. In this team it is decided that we will only be running Spikes and Stealth Rock. I don’t find Toxic Spikes a necessity and are easily stopped by poison types such as Roserade and Tentacruel. Half the metagame is steel types, who are unaffected by Toxic Spikes. A good number are flying and levitating pokemon as well, thus I deem it relatively un-necessary in setting Toxic Spikes up.

So, looking through all the pokemon, only these learn spikes:

- Cacturne

- Cloyster

- Forretress

- Froslass

- Glalie

- Omastar

- Qwilfish

- Roserade

- Skarmory

- Smeargle

Because this is a full stall team, we want to eliminate any pokemon that lack considerable bulk. That leaves us with:

- Cloyster

- Forretress

- Omastar

- Skarmory

Unfortunately Cloyster and Omastar have another niche, and that is UU. They both don’t exactly have the best defensive typing either. So, we are left with Skarmory and Forretress. Both can set up Spikes and Stealth Rock, and both are steels so have great typing and resist dragon. In the end, Forretress was decided, as on top of spiking, it spins, which is something not too many pokemon can do.

205.png

Choosing a rapid-spin blocker:

The second step I use is to find a rapid spin blocker. Because this team is shoddy-based we have access to the Rotom Formes, which are without a doubt the best rapid spin blockers. Although they have a Pursuit weakness unlike Spiritomb, the Formes are able to deal with most spinners. So, with that in mind we add Rotom to the team. In the end, Rotom Wash forme was decided as it scares away Tyranitar switchins looking to Pursuit, and Heatran looking to come in on the Will-o-wisp.

205.png
479water.png

Choosing the walls:

Now that we have beginnings of the stall team, we are able to decide on the walls. I generally like to choose one completely physical and one completely special wall. Although this is how DP teams were made, it provides a nice defensive core to fall back upon. I know it sounds horribly n00by too. Physically, there are a number of choices, but specially, there is only one, Blissey. Blissey also provides Wish support for the team, which Forretress enjoys. If you want to have a lot of success with a stall team, use Blissey. Seriously, even if it is a fat pink *****, it is still vital to the success of the team.

205.png
479water.png
242.png

Deciding on the physical wall is a lot harder. What we want is instant recovery, semi-decent typing, and of course physical bulk. With that in mind, the most capable physical walls in OU are:

- Skarmory

- Gliscor

- Hippowdon

- Celebi

There are only really those 4 pokemon that fit that category. Unfortunately Skarmory and Forretress are generally redundant [wall the same stuff], and have similar typing. Celebi isn’t really able to sponge the likes of Scizor and Metagross too well. In the end it was between Hippowdon and Gliscor. Hippowdon is bulkier and has a rock resist, but unfortunately doesn’t do too much. Gliscor is an extremely reliable answer to Lucario [4th Gens best lategame sweeper], and can utilise Taunt + Toxic, bringing other stall teams to its knees.

205.png
479water.png
242.png
472.png

Tying up loose ends:

The final step I like to do is fixing any problems the team has, whether it is typing or certain threats. By looking at our team on Marriland’s Team Builder, we can see that there is no rock, fire or water resist on this team. The team also has problems with last-poke sweeps and has no phazer. As for threats, Salamence and Infernape are huge problems. Taunt Heatran could also potentially be an annoyance. So, in the last two spots we require:

- Fire resist

- Rock resist

- Water resist

- Phazer

- Something to deal with last-poke sweeps

- Salamence check [DD and MixMence]

- Infernape counter

- Secondary answer to Heatran

As you can see, a combination of Scarf Jirachi and defensive Latias do extremely well, as dealing with those problems, so they were added.

205.png
479water.png
242.png
472.png
385.png
380.png

Final Product:

205.png

Forretress @ Shed Shell
Impish
Sturdy

EVs: 252 HP / 48 Def / 208 SpDef

Stealth Rock
Spikes
Rapid Spin
Payback

Forretress was probably the most suitable lead for this team. The other option was Gliscor who would lose the move Toxic if it decided to lead. Forretress sets up Spikes and Stealth Rock which are both necessary for the team’s success and provides something to go to when it comes to sponging random Outrages and Draco Meteors. Rapid Spin helps against other stall teams and allows my team to switch easier. Payback hits any Rotom Formes that look to block my Spinning. The EVs are from Blue Harvest, which allow Forretress to set up on Lead Mamoswine and make Swampert’s Earthquake a 5HKO most of the time.

479water.png

Rotom – W @ Leftovers
Bold
Levitate

EVs: 252 HP / 164 Def / 92 Spe

Thunderbolt
Will-o-wisp
Rest
Sleep Talk

Rotom is the teams designated spin blocker. It gives the team an answer to Mamoswine, Gyarados, Scizor, Metagross and a myriad of other physical attackers. I dislike Discharges paralysis rate and so Thunderbolt was chosen. Thunderbolt always KOes standard spinner Starmie whereas Discharge doesn’t. WoW allows Rotom to beat Metagross and Mamoswine comfortably and burns any Scizor and Tyranitar switchins looking to Pursuit me. The EVs outrun Max Scizor so I can Will-o-wisp before it uses Bug Bite.

242.png

Blissey @ Leftovers
Bold
Natural Cure

EVs: 252 Def / 176 SpDef / 80 SpAtk

Shadow Ball
Seismic Toss
Wish / Toxic
Protect / Softboiled

Blissey is just oh so reliable when it comes to walling special threats. It can switch in to almost any special attacker and beat them, although many with reliable recovery are huge problems, which is why I now run Toxic and Softboiled. The only pokemon on the team who really misses the Wish support is Forretress. Toxic allows Blissey to beat CM Latias and the gang. Shadow Ball is used primarily to break SubCharge Rotom’s Substitute, so I am not swept by one. Seismic Toss is a very useful attack and puts a damper into any steels as well as Scizor switchins. Bold was chosen as it allows Blissey to beat Swampert and Scarf Flygon 1 on 1, as Flygon cannot 2HKO with Outrage, although I will not be relying on Blissey to stop these threats lol.

472.png

Gliscor @ Leftovers
Jolly
Sand Veil

EVs: 252 HP / 252 Spe / 4 Def

Taunt
Toxic
Earthquake
Roost

This is my teams primary answer to other stall teams. It checks Lucario and Tyranitar decently too. Jolly with Max Speed outruns all Lucario and ties with other Max Speed Gliscor. I cannot stress how important that is especially when it comes to beating other stall teams. Taunt + Toxic allow Gliscor to beat ResTalk Rotom, Ice Beam-less Blissey and Hippowdon comfortably. Taunt also prevents Skarmory from setting up. Gliscor is a very important player to this teams success.

385.png

Jirachi @ Choice Scarf
Jolly
Serene Grace

EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe

Iron Head
Thunderpunch
Fire Punch
Trick

Jirachi is my last resort to threats that get out of hand, such as DDMence, DDGyara, DDTar, Gengar and Lucario. Max + Jolly is needed to tie with +1 DDMence. With Serene Grace, Iron Head has a 60% chance of flinching, which is terribly useful. I decided to forego Ice Punch, as it is only really useful in stopping Mence, who takes 60% and upwards from Iron Head. Trick is very useful at screwing CroCune, CurseLax and any physical walls that decide to switchin to me.

380.png

Latias @ Leftovers
Timid
Levitate

EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe

Dragon Pulse
Roar
Reflect / Calm Mind
Roost

Latias is the team’s primary phazer and answer to Infernape. It is also the team’s best switch in to water and fire attacks. Provided I predict right, it switches into MixMence quite nicely as well. Roar is useful at phazing Cune who try to set up on me, and racks up a lot of entry hazard damage. I am undecided between Reflect and Calm Mind. Calm Mind allows me to beat most other Calm Minders as well as clean up lategame, but Reflect lets Latias escape from most Scizor and Tyranitar comfortably, as well as helping my team against insanely powerful physical threats like CBTar, of which none of my team are the perfect switch in for it. I really don’t like the extra Pursuit weakness.

As I have stated earlier, this team is just an example of a stall team and definitely has room for improvement.

Threats to stall:

Mixed Sweepers: Even though Infernape and MixMence and the like are hailed as great answers to stall, they really aren’t. Provided you know how to play, they are like dealing with any other attacker. Even though they are not as good as breaking stall as other means, they are still a threat to stall teams.

Trick users: If you switch Blissey into a Scarf Latias and it uses Trick you will encounter serious problems. This is why it is usually better to switch in Forretress or Jirachi into Latias first, to scout it’s set in the case of the example team.

Taunt + Toxic Gliscor: This thing can run right through almost all stall teams, so you have to watch out. Usually you can beat it. This is why 252 Speed is so beneficial on Gliscor. It is necessary if you want to beat other Gliscor.

CM + Wish Rachi: First thing is that Blissey loses to this, but between Taunt Gliscor, Rotom and Jirachi it isn’t too bothersome. Just don’t make sure it gets to +6 against Blissey.

Lures: Things like SpecsCario + SD Scizor can really be a huge problem, but luckily lures aren’t too common these days. Expert Belt Tar is another threat.

Examples of good stall teams:

Tyranitar Stall - Taylor

Fried Ice Cream – ImperfectLuck

Blue Harvest SemiStall – Blue Harvest

Note: This team lacks a Spin blocker. All spin blockers suck on WiFi

Rotom, CHARGE! - JabbaTheGriffin

Do NOT play Blissey rashly: Without a doubt, Blissey is the centrepiece of the stall team. Do not play it stupidly. This means switching it in on a LeadTran and Seismic Tossing, or opening it up for a CBTar to Pursuit. If Blissey goes down, stall teams are much easier to beat.

I guess this is my last contribution to serebii. Adios
I’m sure there is a lot of punctuation mistakes, so if you could point those out, it would be nice ^_^

PS. I know this should have been posted in the guide section. I dont know why I posted it here ;476;

Wizard of 'Cos

Hi I'm Joe
Team Building Guide

So yeah, awkward...

Aaaanyway as some of you might know, I retired. And I was planning on doing this whole big "What I have learnt" kinda guide dealy, but due to school and me getting distracted easily I only got the team building part done.

I have no idea what is going on in the metagame at the moment whatsoever but I hope that this is still partially relevant, as I did put some work into this so I guess it is worth posting? Maybe?

Yeeap. Thanks guys. -awesome guide follows-

Wizard of 'Cos said:
Well, I guess this is it Serebii. I've had some good times here, and I'd like to say that it wouldn't have been nearly as good without some of the people I have met here, helping with learning about rating, battling and team building.

This is why I have made a thread to bring together most of the things I have learned through my time here. Just the main things, the ones that I feel are the more important ones, feel free to disagree. This is just the things I find might help others.

Team Building

One of the more major things, CRMT wise. This can make or break a battler, as you could have perfect prediction, but the team just cannot take the hits necessary, or cannot deal them out in a way that works.

When beginning this, I suggest making sweeper based teams. This means choose a late game sweeper. This is a pokemon that you bring out near the end of the battle to finish off your opponents weakened team.

From there you can then start from there in choosing members that can not only counter enemy sweepers, or walls, but pokemon that can support your chosen late game sweeper.

For example, say I have chosen a Swords Dance Lucario as my end gamer.

448.png

I must then look at what can stop him. This includes:

~Zapdos
~Gliscor
~Scarfed Heatran
~Rotom-A
~Gyarados
~Celebi

What we can gather is that there are 2 main features that are constant throughout this list. Almost all of these pokemon are either a) Weak to Stealth Rock. or b) Weak to Pursuit. This doesn't include Gliscor or Heatran, which are both weak to Water anyway.

So from here we can pick pokemon to fit these roles. A good partner is Tyranitar, who can not only Pursuit several of the counters, but can also put SS in play which means that all barring Gliscor and Heatran take an extra 6% damage every turn.

448.png
248.png

Next a pokemon to cover up some common type weaks, as both Luke and Tar are weak to Fighting and Ground, and now that you have some Pursuit support, SR would probably be a good idea, I would suggest a lead, as although a good mid-game SR setter could be used, such as Blissey or Swampert, if SR goes up on Turn 1 or 2, then the opponents team takes max damage from SR switches. Gliscor is a perfect choice, as not only can he counter Lucario (a proment threat) but he can Taunt slower leads, U-Turn for scouting, but he can activate Sand Veil through Tyranitars Sand Stream.

448.png
248.png
472.png

*Normally I find that the best times to pick leads are either 4th or 6th (I don't know why, I read it in Mag's team building guide and it has worked ever since) but I'm out of practise, and it just seems to work here*

So now that we have SS and SR in play, and a very useful Pursuiter, a pokemon to counter Gliscor and Heatran would be very useful, I might suggest a Water Type for this, Vaporeon would be a decent option, seeing as how it can pass Wishes to team mates, Starmie would also work, and it has the bonus of outrunning Gliscor so it can Surf before being U-Turned upon, however if Starmie switches into a U-Turn it will take a lot of damage, and can be more easily trapped by Scizor. Who is rediculously common nowadays, hence why I would choose Vaporeon.

448.png
248.png
472.png
134.png

Now we need in two slots: a pokemon to cover Scizor, who this team cannot handle at present, also a Steel is mandatory, what with Dragon moves being fired at left right and center. I tend to pick the last two pokemon in tandem, so that they can suit the team without missing any important element. Scizor would make for a fine Steel, also with Bullet Punch it lets him check Salamence as well as the fact that he lures in Rotom / Zapdos (some of Lukes counters) and can U-Turn away to rack up damage for a sweep later on. Rotom-H makes for a good Scizor check, as well as a Spin Blocker (not really necessary, but losing SR only to have a Zapdos come in and stop Lucario's sweep really sucks, also Rotom-H's typing benifits the team nicely).

448.png
248.png
472.png
134.png
212.png
479fire.png

Loldisclamer: Note that I made this team up as I went along, it looks pretty decent to me, but I have not made a team in a while and am quite rusty, nor have I played with it whatsoever. But feel free to test it if you want, and let me know if it works, or is a pile of junk.

When building one's own team there are several things you MUST have in mind.

1: Try to counter -at least- the Top 10 OU threats. For a list, check Smogon's 'Stark Mountain' for the latest Shoddy usage stats. Counters to pokemon can be found on Smogons main Pokemon Analysis page.

2: Make sure there are no outstanding type weaknesses. But don't go overboard, eg: if you have a team that is half weak to Ground, yet have one immune and one Resist, you are probably OK. However the more balanced the better.

3: Try not to have more than 1-2 pokemon weak to Stealth Rock, Rapid Spinners can be used, but with Rotom-A being as common as it is, don't rely too heavily upon being able to clear the field.

4: Make sure the pokemon you have chosen actually work towards a common goal. Eg: weaken counters for a sweeper (on a sweeper team), sets up hazards (on a stall team), can sweep with Rain support (on a Rain Dance team) and so on and so forth.

Wizard of 'Cos

Hi I'm Joe
Team Building Guide

So yeah, awkward...

Aaaanyway as some of you might know, I retired. And I was planning on doing this whole big "What I have learnt" kinda guide dealy, but due to school and me getting distracted easily I only got the team building part done.

I have no idea what is going on in the metagame at the moment whatsoever but I hope that this is still partially relevant, as I did put some work into this so I guess it is worth posting? Maybe?

Yeeap. Thanks guys. -awesome guide follows-

Wizard of 'Cos said:
Well, I guess this is it Serebii. I've had some good times here, and I'd like to say that it wouldn't have been nearly as good without some of the people I have met here, helping with learning about rating, battling and team building.

This is why I have made a thread to bring together most of the things I have learned through my time here. Just the main things, the ones that I feel are the more important ones, feel free to disagree. This is just the things I find might help others.

Team Building

One of the more major things, CRMT wise. This can make or break a battler, as you could have perfect prediction, but the team just cannot take the hits necessary, or cannot deal them out in a way that works.

When beginning this, I suggest making sweeper based teams. This means choose a late game sweeper. This is a pokemon that you bring out near the end of the battle to finish off your opponents weakened team.

From there you can then start from there in choosing members that can not only counter enemy sweepers, or walls, but pokemon that can support your chosen late game sweeper.

For example, say I have chosen a Swords Dance Lucario as my end gamer.

448.png

I must then look at what can stop him. This includes:

~Zapdos
~Gliscor
~Scarfed Heatran
~Rotom-A
~Gyarados
~Celebi

What we can gather is that there are 2 main features that are constant throughout this list. Almost all of these pokemon are either a) Weak to Stealth Rock. or b) Weak to Pursuit. This doesn't include Gliscor or Heatran, which are both weak to Water anyway.

So from here we can pick pokemon to fit these roles. A good partner is Tyranitar, who can not only Pursuit several of the counters, but can also put SS in play which means that all barring Gliscor and Heatran take an extra 6% damage every turn.

448.png
248.png

Next a pokemon to cover up some common type weaks, as both Luke and Tar are weak to Fighting and Ground, and now that you have some Pursuit support, SR would probably be a good idea, I would suggest a lead, as although a good mid-game SR setter could be used, such as Blissey or Swampert, if SR goes up on Turn 1 or 2, then the opponents team takes max damage from SR switches. Gliscor is a perfect choice, as not only can he counter Lucario (a proment threat) but he can Taunt slower leads, U-Turn for scouting, but he can activate Sand Veil through Tyranitars Sand Stream.

448.png
248.png
472.png

*Normally I find that the best times to pick leads are either 4th or 6th (I don't know why, I read it in Mag's team building guide and it has worked ever since) but I'm out of practise, and it just seems to work here*

So now that we have SS and SR in play, and a very useful Pursuiter, a pokemon to counter Gliscor and Heatran would be very useful, I might suggest a Water Type for this, Vaporeon would be a decent option, seeing as how it can pass Wishes to team mates, Starmie would also work, and it has the bonus of outrunning Gliscor so it can Surf before being U-Turned upon, however if Starmie switches into a U-Turn it will take a lot of damage, and can be more easily trapped by Scizor. Who is rediculously common nowadays, hence why I would choose Vaporeon.

448.png
248.png
472.png
134.png

Now we need in two slots: a pokemon to cover Scizor, who this team cannot handle at present, also a Steel is mandatory, what with Dragon moves being fired at left right and center. I tend to pick the last two pokemon in tandem, so that they can suit the team without missing any important element. Scizor would make for a fine Steel, also with Bullet Punch it lets him check Salamence as well as the fact that he lures in Rotom / Zapdos (some of Lukes counters) and can U-Turn away to rack up damage for a sweep later on. Rotom-H makes for a good Scizor check, as well as a Spin Blocker (not really necessary, but losing SR only to have a Zapdos come in and stop Lucario's sweep really sucks, also Rotom-H's typing benifits the team nicely).

448.png
248.png
472.png
134.png
212.png
479fire.png

Loldisclamer: Note that I made this team up as I went along, it looks pretty decent to me, but I have not made a team in a while and am quite rusty, nor have I played with it whatsoever. But feel free to test it if you want, and let me know if it works, or is a pile of junk.

When building one's own team there are several things you MUST have in mind.

1: Try to counter -at least- the Top 10 OU threats. For a list, check Smogon's 'Stark Mountain' for the latest Shoddy usage stats. Counters to pokemon can be found on Smogons main Pokemon Analysis page.

2: Make sure there are no outstanding type weaknesses. But don't go overboard, eg: if you have a team that is half weak to Ground, yet have one immune and one Resist, you are probably OK. However the more balanced the better.

3: Try not to have more than 1-2 pokemon weak to Stealth Rock, Rapid Spinners can be used, but with Rotom-A being as common as it is, don't rely too heavily upon being able to clear the field.

4: Make sure the pokemon you have chosen actually work towards a common goal. Eg: weaken counters for a sweeper (on a sweeper team), sets up hazards (on a stall team), can sweep with Rain support (on a Rain Dance team) and so on and so forth.

Pokefan25

Help out a new poster

So I was attempting to get an Umbreon with this moveset :Wish Mean Look Baton Pass and probably payback so it has the option of doing some damage, though curse is the other option. Wish is the real issue with getting it to Umbreon so here is the real question, If I enter a double battle with Smeargle and Natu (Who knows Wish) can I have Natu use wish and Smeargle trace it?

Mye

Someone has to win..
Common Misconceptions- Doubles

I thought I'd add a tag-along post to the one rhys started earlier, this time involving double battles....only adding 3 for now:

Pokemon need to 'belong'
Over and over again, I get complaints from people, saying that certain pokemon need to be on certain teams. A prime example of this is blissey and electivire on rain teams. On most weather teams, you can expect to have some deviation from the norm, and still get it to work....even if the ability isn't affected by 1 variable.

Certain pokemon are specifically designed for doubles
Of course, the common pokemon talked about here are plusle/minun and cherrim. The ability of a pokemon should not define its use, and while some pokemon have abilities that work better in doubles, that rarely makes them any better there.

Weather teams dominate in double battles
While the majority of double battle teams revolve around weather, some of the best ones revolve around teams that work well in singles. While 2 lead pokemon that benefit off weather may be tempting, 2 pokemon with all-around better stats is the best.

mattatvgal

Competetive Pokemon Battling Overview

Have you ever wanted to be the best? Like no one ever was? Me too, and I was, at least one time when I won a tournament at a local Gamestop. It was back when Diamond and Pearl were released, so you can assume any information I provide you with is relatively up to date.

Below I’ve provided a list of my most top secret, ultra-useful tips for winning at Pokemon. Believe me, my victory over a group of elementary school kids ought to serve as a testament to the validity of my list. Without further delay, here is how to dominate the competition:

Legendary Pokemon do not guarantee you victory. In fact, if you use a legendary Pokemon, chances are high that you are just looking for the quick and easy victory. In Pokemon, there is no quick and easy victory. Victory comes only to those who are willing to endure long, grueling preparation and training. Basically, if you go out and catch a legendary Pokemon, you’ve forfeited your opportunity to custom engineer a weapon of Poke-destruction.

Maximize your Pokemon’s level. This ought to be self-explanatory, but it is the sad truth that if a Pokemon has even a ten level advantage over another Pokemon then the higher leveled monster will likely win. Just sayin’.

Now things get interesting. Tip three is DO NOT, UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES, PUT WURMPLE ON YOUR TEAM. This will assuredly lead to misery and a dropped ice cream cone. What I’m saying is, if a Pokemon is not in its final evolutional form, just give up. Take whatever Poke-Balls you have and just put them back in Professor Birch’s backpack where you found them.

Remember what I said about training? Here’s where that becomes important. You need to EV train all your Pokemon. In general, this means maximizing two of your Pokemon’s stats by repeatedly fighting a Pokemon that will give EV’s to a particular stat. Other guides exist which explain the process. The benefit of putting EVs into only a select few stats is that they accentuate a Pokemon’s specialty. Infernape’s naturally high speed and attack mean that you should put EV’s into those stats and deem him your sweeper. Defensive Pokemon like Blissey are walls. Actually, a more appropriate term for Blissey would be a sponge due to its ability to practically absorb damage.

All of my tips so far haven’t even been battle-related. Hopefully now you are learning that most amateur battles are won before the match even starts. Here’s a real honest to goodness battle tip. Predict your opponent’s move. This is the essence of Pokemon battling. If you have Rhyperior and your opponent has Infernape, you can predict that your opponent will use a Ground or Fighting move to take care of your slow guy in a hurry. The real magic comes in if your opponent knows that you know that. Then, you might consider NOT switching out your Rhyperior to take advantage of a free attack if your opponent tries to catch you off guard by not using a move to take care of your Rhyperior.

Know your items, and which Pokemon are likely to hold which items. A common setup is to have a Focus Sash on a baton passing Pokemon like Ninjask. This setup basically ensures that the Pokemon can create a scenario where stat boosts can be passed on to another Pokemon without fail. A masterful Ninjask user will consider NOT using a stat boosting move and instead attacking to really throw his or her opponent for a loop.

Create unique and unpredictable beasts. An Infernape can be a physical or special sweeper. What makes Infernape so good is that he can be formidable as either kind of attacker, so your opponent is really at your whim until you unleash your first physical or special move.

Create a diverse team. This goes for Pokemon’s types as well as specialties. You want a good blend of sweeping, walling and support. You also want good coverage. Basically, think about your situation. You have Infernape against a bad match up like Staraptor. You can anticipate bad match ups like this and include Bronzong in your arsenal. Bronzong can pretty much take whatever Staraptor can throw, so you know you’re going to be alright.

Pokemon abilities are worth taking advantage of. For example, Electivire has an ability which speeds it up if it gets hit with an electric type move. You would be surprised how easy it is to activate this when you opponent does not know you have an Electivire on your team and you can predict that your opponent will toss out an electric attack. You can build Electivire around this scenario and not EV train him as much in speed and instead put those values into attack and special attack. That way, your speed boosted Electivire can serve as a truly dual threat. You might also consider including Ninjask on your team to boost Electivire’s speed knowing that he just won’t be as fast as other sweepers.

My final tip is to not take Pokemon battling seriously. Unfortunately, this is difficult because you can spend an incredible amount of time customizing a team and studying Pokemon match ups and still not win. If I were the developer of the game, I would make the game more geared towards experimenting with Pokemon move sets and abilities rather than having to take the time to breed and level up your beasts. Until the developers realize this dilemma, (which may be never, considering they probably won’t change their formula as long as they are making money, which is currently the case) you should remain unattached to becoming the very best there ever was. Also, make the developers aware of the problems with the game. I would really challenge the review scores which give the game high marks when really the “game” aspect of Pokemon should not receive anything higher than mediocre marks.

There you have it. I hope you have found my battling guide useful, and along the way gained an understanding of the love-hate relationship I currently have with Pokemon. With a little constructive journalism, my hope is that we can convince those stingy guys at Game Freak to make changes which reflect the views of the people who truly enjoy their product.

Source: http://www.videogamesarelife.com

nopq750

Banned
Polo Yellow Pony Swimwears in Green

It won't matter if the sun is shining because you'll look sizzling hot in this desirable Polo Yellow Pony Swimwears in Green. The swimwear comes with the basic green colorway with yellow pony print on the triangel top. The bottom is in all green and low rise pattern.polo outletcheap polo ralph lauren bikini swimsuit at www.outletpolos.com

nopq750

Banned
20 pcs of Women's Lacoste Polo Shirts for Wholesale

Color:A Red B Sesame Yellow C Azalea Pink D Antigua Blue E Orca BlueF Rusty Orange G Apple Green H Dark GreenI Rose Pink J Black K white L Kerguelen BlueHow to select sizes and colors:These Women's Lacoste Polo shirts have 12 colors and 6 sizes available. This item is for 10 pieces of shirts. Please Write down the color's letters and sizes on "Add Comments About Your Order" text area when you place an order(After clicking 'Checkout' button).polo outlet