1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

A Hurdle For Squirtle (421)

Discussion in 'Pokémon - Advanced Battle' started by Serebii, Sep 22, 2005.

1. Kakashi-Sharingan Warrior

Kakashi-Sharingan Warrior Well-Known Member

So May won?
    that sucks, and to a Squirtle that was a baby?!?!?

whatever the writers are on I want it! a squirtle beating a crobat 0.o

2. Porygandrew

Porygandrew Well-Known Member

At least Jessie's appeal with Cacnea was cool.

3. jolteonjak

jolteonjak *swoons for Noland*

Baby Squirle beating a Crobat is a bit farfetched (pardon the pun)

4. Sushi

Sushi unspecified Staff Member Super Mod

<.< >.> I'm still unsure whether I should say, "It was quite awful" or, "Disregarding the result of the Contest, it was good". Meh, I'll go for the latter.
    The music was great as usual. They played the Regi music, the E4 theme, the Kanto Gym Battle theme and some other pieces from the..sixth movie, I think. Kewl.

The animation was very good, although...has everyone forgotten how to draw Harley? I mean, they didn't really do any mistakes regarding his looks or anything, but he looked quite off sometimes.

I found it interesting that May let Squirtle out of its Pokéball and let it watch Combusken's appeal. Speaking of which, the appeal was nice and really original. The best appeal was Jessie and Cacnea's of course, but Combusken's was the coolest :p

Jessie ...surely was the best part of the episode. Even Lilian was crying when she saw her and Cacnea hugging each other, and everyone was all, "Love and Piece da!!" XD

Wobbuffet vs. Ariados sure was interesting too, as at first, neither of them made a move...well, that is, until Lilian gave them a yellow card and their points were halved.
    After that, Harley's Ariados just used String Shot and let Wobbuffet dance like a puppet...and, OMG, Harley danced too!!!! <3 <3 <3

Ah well.. and then..Ariados vs. Squirtle. Actually, from the looks of how it went, it was interesting, I admit.
    It's just that, as many others already said, I hate how they make Harley look so weak in his battles. Really, Brock still called him a, "formidable rival" in this ep, but Harley has never won a battle against May. His appeals are always stunning, but when it comes to battles, his performances are almost ridiculous. Is it really that hard to make him win for once?

5. The Big Al

The Big Al I just keeping Octo

It's offical. I hate Squirtle. Another cheap uber to make May a lot more powerful than she really is. She's now worse than the trainers of the day. The Big Al gives the Kanto Contest Challegne two thumbs down.

6. ghost master

ghost master the kawaiist thing

Why is Squirtle still considered a baby. if proffesor Oak had recieved the starter pokes they had to have been ready for a trainer to start out with it. It seems to me that it was at starter level so why was it considered a baby. Also Squirtle has been shown to have matured a bit since May first recieved it. Near the end of the episode it looked like Harley had won until May had a stroke of luck. Also has anyone noticed that the timer on the timed battle read 1:45 and the next thing that happened was that May won. I know what hapened but, just felt like pointing it out. Also I was hoping for Jessie to win but, whatever. Also was that hug thing a mistake or on purpose. I just thought it happened on accident and Jessie didn't plan for that but, quickly thought of something to make her look good.

7. The Big Al

Stroke of luck being the operative word. Luck and more luck. Let her lose or make her think.

Squirtle is a baby. Look how small it is. Yet it took down an Aridos. It's Super Skitty all over again.

8. CyberCubed

CyberCubed Banned

Yeah it's implied that Squirtle is an infant. Compare it's size to Ash's Squirtle. Not to mention the fact that it was/is a crybaby, and treats May as it's mother is the stereotypical baby role in this show.

9. John's Knight

John's Knight Well-Known Member

Well, this episode was normal. I can't believe that squirtle could won to a crobat and harley's ariados, but i think that in this episode there're some good things: when cacnea hugged jessie and everyone was crying and then she was paralised; jessie, a mummy; ariados, wobbufett and harley dancing! 7/10, to me!!

10. Heracross

Heracross Custom User Title

F*cking sh*t. The writers are making Zenigame the new Eneko. This sucks. There's no excuse for a tiny baby Zenigame to beat an experienced coordinator.

I mean WHAT THE HELL? -_-;;

11. The Big Al

I'm waiting for Yamato-san to come here and go on Grade A b*tchfest. He's hated that terapin from the start and this will only serve to piss him off further.

12. Jo-Jo

Jo-Jo blows stuff uhup

But Harley only just caught Ariados, surely, or else he would have used it in the Grand Festival. It's probably not much more experienced than Squirtle. I'm not at surprised that May won. And at least she was in trouble for the first half of the battle - Harley got her down to less than half her points without taking a hit himself. Buuut I guess I should resign myself to the inevitable b*tch-fest from the May-haters all the same. Sigh. *goes to make popcorn*

13. The Big Al

*smacks Jo-Jo with a giant fan* You're trying to justify the unjustifiable again. Though this all goes back to Squirtle pulling Ice Beam out of its rear. This is an insult to Pokemon Battling.

14. Heracross

Still, Ariados is a fully evolved pokémon, and Zenigame is just a baby. Be definition Ariados must have a decent amount of experience because it's evolved. Even if it evolved in the wild, it makes no difference.

15. Jo-Jo

Jo-Jo blows stuff uhup

Which makes Squirtle the underdog. And the underdog always wins. ;)

16. Heracross

Which still sucks because it's repetitive and unrealistic.

17. CyberCubed

CyberCubed Banned

On an unrelated note, Jo-Jo are you content with the writers portraying Harley as the "loser" in every single contest he's in? How are we suppossed to take Harley as a serious opponent if May beats him everytime they meet? May's beaten him 3 times now.

And this was the most embarrassing loss for Harley too, against May's Lil' Squirtle.

What was the point of bringing Harley back and even putting him in the opening if he's just cannon fodder?

18. JazzJazz

JazzJazz Well-Known Member

The anime has had examples of spirit meaning more than size before... I'm not surprised that the little blue guy managed to take the victory for May.

19. V Faction

V Faction www.faction.com

This is just disappointing. I felt BAD for Harley. He was super confident and highly experienced. God damn it, why did they have to let May's ****ing Squirtle win.

Hell, it's glaringly obvious they had May pull an Ash and had her see some miniscule factor that could be exploited in her favor. I can SEE when that happens on the stupid pictures! Christ-O-Dilly.

Not surprised ? Well **** son, none of us should be! The day we get caught off-guard on a Pokemon episode is the day they actually do something worthwhile!

But that still doesn't mean it's more enjoyable if, y'know, we understand the situation and why it went down.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2005
  20. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!I'M SO FURIOUS! ANYONE! ANY COORDINATOR, EVEN JESSIE OR STEPHANO OR ANYONE! GO BEAT MAY AND SHOW HER WHO'S BOSS! YOU WILL BE ONE OF MY HONORARY CHARACTERS IF YOU DO! (Just like Tsukiko. I really like Tsukiko, you see, and one of the many reasons is she beat May.)