• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

A Hurdle For Squirtle (421)

G50

No longer posting
This episode was cool. performance in the appeal round was really good. Squirtle vs Crobat was an awesome battle. Wobbuffet vs Ariados was very odd and funny. It was cool to see Needle Arm used.

74/100

I really liked Ariados vs. Wobbufet, that String Shot was a smart idea from Harley. I'm not really into contests and non-Original Series episodes, but I do like this contest. This is the best contest in the Pokemon anime! Harley is so awesome XD

Caseydia

Ace Trainer
Jesus! The writers could have given May Clamperl than to give her Squirtle. I hate how May got two Pokemon we saw before. There was nothing wrong with her having Hoenn Pokemon in BF. But she had to get a baby squirtle. Dammit writers!

Vernikova

Champion
A baby Squirtle beating Harley in battle. And it just happens to have an uncontrollably powerful Ice Beam attack. Okay writers. You guys could've cut some of those fillers episodes for some Squirtle training but that was too much for you I suppose.

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash
This was a great contest episode. I liked how May managed to come back and beat Harley, who was destroying her in the contest, and it was kind of creative too.

I have to go in to rant mode for a minute here...

I'm still fairly astonished, incidentally, that so many people who profess to loathe the entire Pokemon anime and do nothing but whine and complain over the stupidest things every week are still watching the show, let alone participating in the fandom. Are they masochists or something? Colour me baffled.

^
(fixed slightly to express what I thought, but, for the most part, I do agree)
Old post, I know, but this, this, Oh god one billion times THIS!

No seriously, It's part mind-boggling, part annoying, part my-sides-hurt hilarious that 75% of every episode thread (mostly the older posts starting from 2004) is filled with people who are so darn unimpressed with this show. Why do you all even keep watching this show if your just going to get your panties in a bunch whenever the most innocuous/miniscule or major thing doesn't go the way you personally expected?

Take this episode for example.
Now that I realize that it's what most people were raising hell over in the thread, Harley lost because May was using a Pokemon that she still just got recently, and with an attack it shouldn't even have yet at that stage of evolution? Big whoop! It's really not a big deal. Seriously. I agree with what I saw mentioned much earlier in that Harley is the villainous character in the episode (in all these Hoenn contest episodes, actually), so you should be expecting him to lose against May most of the time at this rate. It's really silly to whine and complain and hold it against the episode as a whole just because your favorite character lost a match.

I think, when I start watching Battle Frontier (again, actually), I'm only going to come to these threads to post what I thought about something in the episodes, because honestly, it's getting old reading some of these (old) posts that have 75% whining and complaining about the episode.

TL;DR:
Y'all need to not take everything in this show so darned seriously.

Anyway, to comment on the episode itself.
It was hilarious how both Jessie (can't remember what her "stage name" was at the moment) and Harley refused to attack, thus getting them both yellow cards and a deduction in points. :)
I thought it was neat how Squirtles Ice Beam froze the webs that Harley's Ariados made.

I'm happy May won her first Kanto contest ribbon. :)

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
I was really underwhelmed by May's appeal with Combusken tbh; Harley and even Jessie did a way better job than she did in my opinion. I cackled when Jessie arrived where May and Harley were covered in bandages, and seeing Jessie's Counter strategy with Wobbuffet flop due to Harley was great; I liked how Ariados was controlling Wobbuffet.

pokefreak18

Nathaniel
Wow, when this show was new, people sure were uptight about how it should go. Jeezus, it's a kids show ffs. I'm probably one of the few who came out of this satisfied with the ending.

JudySpell

Banned
Harley was as trollish as usual and after all his cheating attempts I think he should've been disqualified. Ice Beam saving the day was too cliche. 5/10

Mrs. Oreo

Banned
Jessie's appeal with Cacnea looked painful and I liked how Jessie's plan to use Wobbuffet's Counter backfired when Harley used Ariados' strings hee hee. May winning with Squirtle was awesome. :3

Gillachu

Banned
I ain't even a May hater, but she won this Contest way too easily with a Pokemon that was literally an infant. Wtf. :mad:

Wednesdayz

Meowth fanatic
Ugh, I wanted Jessie to beat Harley for once. I don't mind Harley losing to May however, because it just taught him a good lesson: stop being so vengeful, honey. Squirtle using an Ice Beam at the right moment was smart.

ZilverLox

Banned
May's Squirtle is the cutest thing ever. I love its voice. Episode highlight was when Ariados covered the stage in Spider Web. I would have made Harley the winner by default after seeing how creepy that was when Ariados got Squirtle to the top of the ceiling on the stage and did that creepy spider-pose.

Wednesdayz

Meowth fanatic
I would have made Harley the winner by default after seeing how creepy that was when Ariados got Squirtle to the top of the ceiling on the stage and did that creepy spider-pose.

It sure sucks how Harley had the best move combos & strategy here, yet he still lost...

Shayuin

Banned
Poor Harley. First May defeated him with a Bulbasaur and now he gets beaten by a Squirtle that had literally no formal training. And people wonder why Harley hates May?

Mrs. Oreo

Banned
Poor Harley. First May defeated him with a Bulbasaur and now he gets beaten by a Squirtle that had literally no formal training. And people wonder why Harley hates May?

Squirtle recently learning Ice Beam made the win believable to me actually, plus it's not like Harley was much of a threat any ways since May had defeated him twice before.

Alloutℯ

Banned
I didn't like how Harley's Ariados using strings to ensnare Wobbuffet caused Jessie's score to go down. It didn't make sense and was a cheap last second way to eliminate Jessie.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Harley's Appeal with Noctus was pretty, so despite his wickedness, Harley at least had genuine skill as a Coordinator. Even though Musashi lost to Harley, I was relieved that she remembered the usefulness of Sonansu's attacks. Haruka versus Harley was pretty standard. I didn't think Zenigame was as strong as Ariados, but Ice Beam made a big difference.

Zamin

It was an awesome episode, it was great to see May beat Harley. For a moment, I thought she wasn't going too. Poor Jesse not winning with Wobbuffet, it wasn't really a good choice for her in the end.