• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

A Hurdle For Squirtle (421)

S.Suikun

Thank you, SPPf! :)
On another note, I'm disappointed Lilian didn't yell "HERE WE GO!"

◘Ins0mnIac◘

Supreme Overlord
Volt Tackle said:
What were the attacks Cacturne used in the appeal?

Very very cool looking he used cotton spore and then needle arm to stab through all the spores.

lol @ Wobbuffet in the episode but I was hoping he would use Destiny Bond.....

Does new Pokemon move to Cartoon Network and when is the debut if so? I ask because TiVo didn't have any new episodes showed airing....

Bulba the Great!

We Do Not Sow
Thanks for the check, TBA. Oh, and S. Suikun, I agree-I've seen the raw of every contest episode in BF except these two, and I've gotten so used to Lillian using the "Here We GO!" punch-at-audience phrase. It was really awkward seeing her do the arm motion but go, "Come out Harley!" or something to that effect. Maybe PUSA will dub that?

Still passing comment on Zenigame...

Cheers!
~Bulbs ;001;

Expert Evan

Old Fogey
While I haven't been watching much of the anime in awhile, I was wondering how May got a squirtle as it appears much smaller than the one Ash originally had. Good to see her torchic is now a combusken.

Team Rocket was just too hilarious still as cacnea's hug on Jessie was priceless, and wobbuffet being strung like a puppet was a ROFLMAO for sure.

Ralts Master

Knight of White Eye
halloweenghost said:
I don't see why everyone complains about May's squirtle.. so what it is strong... some pokemon just are... Ash's pikachu is stronger then some as well when he first got it.
Because it was Harley (who has a lot of fans, for some reason) who got beaten...

Zabi

Not really here.
Funny/Me hating Zenigame episode. Jessie calling Harley Mushroom head made me laugh out loud. I noticed Lilian said you need 5 Badges to advance to the Grand Festival, not 5 Ribbons. Zenigame in my opinion is WAY to uber. How can a baby Pokemon fight like that, HOW!!!

Yamato-san

I own the 5th gen
halloweenghost said:
I don't see why everyone complains about May's squirtle.. so what it is strong... some pokemon just are... Ash's pikachu is stronger then some as well when he first got it.

Pikachu may've been noted as being exceptionally strong for its species (although, Rocket Dan could've been off, considering it got an extra charged by Satoshi peddling the bike), but do remember that it wouldn't obey Satoshi at first, and he had to go through a lot of bulls*** with that flock of Onisuzume in order to gain its trust. In the end, I'd say Satoshi rightfully earned that sort of power, and even with it, Pikachu suffered several losses. Overall, things are a bit more realistic with Satoshi's Pikachu.

Zenigame, on the other hand, just fell into Haruka's lap as it proceeded to pull Ice Beam out of its a** with barely any effort whatsoever (and I explained several times how, logically, Ice Beam wouldn't have been an inherited skill given its origins as a specially-bred starter Pokemon). It's all a load of crap, Zenigame's clearly one of the biggest deus ex Pokemon the writers had ever conceived, and Harley suffering a third loss only added salt to the wound.

Yamato-san

I own the 5th gen
Rancid Meat said:
Not any worse then any of the other crap May or even Ash has pulled. Well thats pokemon for you.

name one. I can debate with you on how Zenigame's cheaper than all of this "other crap" combined.

Kabuto

little punks!
name one. I can debate with you on how Zenigame's cheaper than all of this "other crap" combined.

I'll name five.

1. Electric coating. Sure Pikachu and Swellow are strong and worthy of victories. But that electric coating was extremely cheap.

2. Dusclops versus Skitty. Skitty not only used assist and lucked out with power moves but the blizzard worked perfectly when she needed it.

3. Skitty vs. Houndoom. We've debated over this one, but I still think Skitty's weak Blizzard cannot overpower Houndoom's powerful Flamethrower (and STAB if it applies to the anime). The point system was all wrong in this one too.

4. Eevee vs. Marshtomp. The point system was way off and Marshtomp was far more experienced then the newborn.

5. Cacturne and Wigglytuff vs. Eevee and Munchlax- Nothing that bad but the ohko on Cacturne and the hopping on Eevees light tail with Munchlaxs 200 pound body. Eevee and even Munchlax were far too weak for this win.

Stop blabbing about this particular fight. Squirtles victory was very cheap but May has pulled worse crap in other senarios.

Asrialys

Pikachu flipping Milotic in another episode...

Anyway, I would think that Ash, Pkachu, and Brock would want to meet up with old friends in Kanto. They were just in Saffron. That would have been a perfect moment to see how Sabrina and Haunter. Maybe when the episode was made they either decided not to or couldn't get the voice actress for Sabrina to return. Whatever, it would have been nice to see them again.

Yamato-san

I own the 5th gen
Rancid Meat said:
I'll name five.

1. Electric coating. Sure Pikachu and Swellow are strong and worthy of victories. But that electric coating was extremely cheap.

2. Dusclops versus Skitty. Skitty not only used assist and lucked out with power moves but the blizzard worked perfectly when she needed it.

3. Skitty vs. Houndoom. We've debated over this one, but I still think Skitty's weak Blizzard cannot overpower Houndoom's powerful Flamethrower (and STAB if it applies to the anime). The point system was all wrong in this one too.

4. Eevee vs. Marshtomp. The point system was way off and Marshtomp was far more experienced then the newborn.

5. Cacturne and Wigglytuff vs. Eevee and Munchlax- Nothing that bad but the ohko on Cacturne and the hopping on Eevees light tail with Munchlaxs 200 pound body. Eevee and even Munchlax were far too weak for this win.

Stop blabbing about this particular fight. Squirtles victory was very cheap but May has pulled worse crap in other senarios.

1. Pikachu's an electric Pokemon, so it'd have a natural resistance to its own element. Plus, Oosubame has proven to have a high endurance towards electricity (plus, Pikachu was on top of it, taking the full brunt of the lightning bolt). I really don't get why so many people take this to be a cop-out win. So Satoshi took advantage of his Pokemon's resistances, amplified Pikachu's electricity through clouds in the outdoor scenery, and give them a coating that would add an extra boost to their physical attacks. What's so unbelievable about it?

2. I've debated this one too many times.... the writing up to this contest was actually pretty good and made Eneko seem (realistically) well-prepared to win. It learned Assist, a part of its natural moveset, and it learned Blizzard after watching Johny in action. The writing only fell flat for the contest itself. And everyone needs to stop acting like Assist is some uber luck-out move. None of the attacks in Haruka's team are useless, however, none of them are extremely uber, neither. If Haruka gets Eneko back, and she gains a Pokemon that learns Explosion or Splash or something disadvantageous, and it never came up during Assist (or likewise, Assist results in several Hyper Beams in a row), then you should complain.

3. STAB doesn't seem to exist in the anime. Besides, fire and ice can logically cancel eachother out. Ice melts, turns to water, extinguishes fire.

4. Again, Eievui was well-trained and it scoring a win would seem perfectly believable, but the writing for that particular battle just fell flat.

5. Gonbe bouncing off of Eievui's tail was cheap, I admit, but people need to stop having a p*ssy-fit over Noctus's one-hit KO. Focus Punch increased the velocity of a Shadow Ball, making it result in a larger impact, and Noctus wasn't prepared to guard, so it going down like it did made sense. And what the f*** do you mean by this?

Rancid Meat said:
Eevee and even Munchlax were far too weak for this win.

Both Pokemon were well-trained in time for the Grand Festival, much earlier in fact. They certainly seemed like capable fighters.

Now, you wanna try telling me how Zenigame vs. Ariados (or Zenigame's "development" in general) wasn't cheap?

Kabuto

little punks!
Now, you wanna try telling me how Zenigame vs. Ariados (or Zenigame's "development" in general) wasn't cheap?

No. I said I agreed with you about Squirtle being cheap, however it is no cheaper then any other pokemon.

1. Pikachu's an electric Pokemon, so it'd have a natural resistance to its own element. Plus, Oosubame has proven to have a high endurance towards electricity (plus, Pikachu was on top of it, taking the full brunt of the lightning bolt). I really don't get why so many people take this to be a cop-out win. So Satoshi took advantage of his Pokemon's resistances, amplified Pikachu's electricity through clouds in the outdoor scenery, and give them a coating that would add an extra boost to their physical attacks. What's so unbelievable about it?

1. Because basically the clouds shouldn't be able to shoot electricity right back at them and create an electric coating.

2. I've debated this one too many times.... the writing up to this contest was actually pretty good and made Eneko seem (realistically) well-prepared to win. It learned Assist, a part of its natural moveset, and it learned Blizzard after watching Johny in action. The writing only fell flat for the contest itself. And everyone needs to stop acting like Assist is some uber luck-out move. None of the attacks in Haruka's team are useless, however, none of them are extremely uber, neither. If Haruka gets Eneko back, and she gains a Pokemon that learns Explosion or Splash or something disadvantageous, and it never came up during Assist (or likewise, Assist results in several Hyper Beams in a row), then you should complain.

2. I only saw this contest once but from what I remember,she happened to get the right move at the right time. (string shot when any other move would have failed). Also Blizzard was still not fully learned because like when Pikachu learned Iron Tail, Skitty couldn't execute the move every time. May happened to get lucky by having Blizzard work at the last second. (which were basically the 10% odds of Ariados freezing).

3. STAB doesn't seem to exist in the anime. Besides, fire and ice can logically cancel each other out. Ice melts, turns to water, extinguishes fire.

3. STAB may not exist, but fire still overpowers ice in the anime and games. Fire melts ice into nothing, not water as seen many times before. Also, the move canceled itself out and Houndoom lost almost twice as many points as Skitty.

4. Again, Eievui was well-trained and it scoring a win would seem perfectly believable, but the writing for that particular battle just fell flat.

4. Discussed this many times too, that Marshtomp didn't have much experience but overall throughout the whole Hoenn season had far more training then Eevee did in its quick preparation. The main reason though, was the point system being messed up which makes alot of contest battles poor. The points always take off about double from the enemy then May.

5. Gonbe bouncing off of Eievui's tail was cheap, I admit, but people need to stop having a p*ssy-fit over Noctus's one-hit KO. Focus Punch increased the velocity of a Shadow Ball, making it result in a larger impact, and Noctus wasn't prepared to guard, so it going down like it did made sense. And what the f*** do you mean by this?

Still a one hit Ko was a little much but I'll give you this one, (despite ghost barely even affecting dark).

Okay my main problem is not each battle in particular but every battle. Writers do not know much about the type chart (by having shadow ball hit normal types and blizzard overpower flamethrower) and the writers give last minute saving moves that give the trainer (usually May) the advantage.

Also an added flaw to the battles is the contests. May's appeal is downright awful half the time (Dusclops one being the best example) making it through every contest and even the grand Festival. Also, the point system is extremely flawed taking off far more points for weaker attacks from May.

NOTE: Do not take this post as an attempt to defend May's Squirtle. I hate it just as much if not more then alot of her pokemon.

Last edited:

Thriller

Its almost time
Awww, poor widdle Harly got his a*s handed to him by a "baby"

I swear to God. People are only sh*tting kittens over this because it was Harley that lost. If it was anyone else there would be no upset.

Jessie's entire role in this episode was funny.Also what Harley was doing while battling Wobbufet.

Gouryujiin said:
Awww, poor widdle Harly got his a*s handed to him by a "baby"

I swear to God. People are only sh*tting kittens over this because it was Harley that lost. If it was anyone else there would be no upset.

I agree 100%. People are complaining so much, only because Harley lost and not a random coordinator of the day. I think that Squirtle's win (after seeing it in action) was perfectly believable. The only part I had a problem with was that after Ariados was frozen, Harley lost more than half his points, which was just cheap. However, it didn't even matter, because Ariados was Ko'ed. I also didn't know "bubble" exploded when it hit. :p

Jeez, is it possible that this Squirtle happens to be gifted when it comes to battling. People need to stop complaining about this.

Anyways "Empress Jessibella" made this episode. Cacnea's appeal and Wobbufett's "battle" were hilarious. All of the appeals were great too. Nice TC as well. So now we have one final epispode of the season. Anyone know when it will air?

Thriller

Its almost time
Yamato debates that since Squirtle was a starter, it shouldn't have any strange moves like Ice Beam in its arsenal. But just because we didn't see May train it doens't mean she hasn't trained it to learn Ice Beam. Maybe she trained in private and pretended to be suprised to see Squirtle learned Ice Beam.

If Ariados freezing caused half points to drop I can see why. Frozen Pokemon cannot do anything.

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
Aside from the whole Squirtle thing, this episode was fun to watch because of the appeals, (Harley, May's and Jessie's appeals were all excellent) as well as the Harley/Jessie battle.

Sometimes when the writing for May's battle is cheap, you can at least enjoy the other aspects of the episode. Great appeals and a great Harley/Jessie match was the saving grace...Yamato-San what are your thoughts on the other parts of the episode like I mentioned?

S.Suikun

Thank you, SPPf! :)
Ludicolo's Depression said:
I agree 100%. People are complaining so much, only because Harley lost and not a random coordinator of the day.
Does Phantom have a huge fanbase? Not really. Did people still complain about a cheap victory? Absolutely.