• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

A hypothetical Gen 6 PMD game

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sunset Star

The DS Gamer
We don't know when we'll get a 6th Gen Mystery Dungeon game, or if we ever will get one. Apparently, GTI's sales weren't very good, which means we might not see another for a while, not to mention that GTI was released near the end of Gen 5. But if we do get one, well... share your ideas here!

For starters, my main problems with Gates to Infinity were:
1) There were hardly any Pokémon.
2) The Pokémon didn't really fit the dungeons you found them in.
3) The music, while nice, usually didn't really go with the given dungeon. (*cough* Stony Cave *cough*)
I actually didn't really like this game much until things started escalating near the end. I'll give it credit for putting in some new mechanics to make the gameplay more interesting, and making selecting moves easier.

So, for a hypothetical Gen 6 PMD, I'd like to see:
• All Pokémon, or at least most of them.
• The return of the personality quiz. I find repeatedly doing it and seeing what I get fun.
• The paradise thing from GTI was an interesting concept, and seeing it return would be good.

Will this happen? Will this not happen? Who knows. But in the meantime, ideas away!
...Or something. =P Please don't make me feel stupid for making this thread...

Last edited:

Trevenant

Banned
I'd like it but it would have to be an actual Pokemon Mystery Dungeon game. The Gen 5 one on 3DS fell short on far too many levels, but a lot of its problems related with Gen 5 in general. (poor Pokemon selection, little post-game content, etc. (B/W2 were terrible with this. You had an entire half of Unova to explore and nothing to do in said places. No more gyms or important battles or anything. Just random trainers with things like Caterpie and other such lower-tier Pokemon.))

To be more on-topic though...
+ All or most Pokemon. GTI was far, far too small and PMD really only works best when you have a big roster.
+ Actual post-game content. Time/Darkness were great with this. Sky was excellent. GTI had almost no post-game content.
+ A competent AI that doesn't leave itself open for constant cheap shots/kills. (the AI in GTI was incredibly poor.)
+ Actual balancing of the enemies you fight proportionate to how high of a level you are. (GTI had you fighting evolved Pokemon VERY early... thankfully the AI was bad.)
+ Download content is a very bad idea for PMD. Aside from the fact that it requires no effort on their part to make (due to dungeons ALWAYS being randomly generated), playable Pokemon should not be locked behind a microtransaction-filled paywall.

I loved the GBA ones and when I got Sky I played that game a ton. One of my favorite games of all time so when I got GTI... it was pretty jarring.

Sunset Star

The DS Gamer
The AI in GTI was bad? The ally AI certainly seems to have improved. They don't keep spamming the same move and don't keep getting lost.

Anyhow, I agree with you on the post-game content thing. Explorers pacing would be best, though it doesn't necessarily have to continue from the main plot. Rescue Team's aftergame was really annoying; it took forever and a half to activate events.

On a non-gameplay note, PMD2's plot was the best thing ever to my younger self, but when you're older you'll realize that the plot is riddled with holes due to time travel. So no time travel again, Chunsoft, please. Time travel always makes things complicated. /ramble

ninjaethan

Konnichiwa ~!
Hm. Sorry if this is old (Only by a few weeks anyway...)

I would love

The return of Wondermails JOBS
More legends (GTI didn't have much)
I miss the friend areas in Blue & Red Rescue team... So maybe this :/
Legend bosses through the storyline (Didn't like JUST Kyurem)
More Pokemons
Team attacks
& the idea of Pokemons staying behind still gets EXP, I like this lol

That's all I can think of lol (But yeah I LOVE PMD XD)

keybug55

Pop sensation
Sigh, GTI looks really bad. It's such a shame. Anyway, here are my suggestions.

Revamped Personality Quiz

We all love picking Pikachu, Eevee, Riolu, and other different pokemon besides starters right? The problem is the abundance of more and more starters are cluttering the personality spaces. The suggestions to fix this would be, 1. Have more personalities to fit new pokemon or 2. have a suggestion whether you want to pick a traditional starter or some other pokemon. New pokemon that can fit the odd starters would be

- Pancham
- Litleo
- Skiddo
- Espurr

- More varied dungeons like in the first one
- Bring back Outlaw missions
- Bring back ability to rescue others from dungeons
- Good AI
- Tons of post game content including special dungeons, legends only found in the post game, plus more

Other than that, and from what other people said, all I need is good story and good music, but that's a given.

Sunset Star

The DS Gamer
Yeah... the AI in PMD kind of sucks. Pokémon keep spamming self-afflicting status moves over and over when an enemy is nearby but they can't attack it.
Also, the starters suggestion thing sounds good, but how would it actually work?

Torpoleon

I actually kind of forgot for a secon that GTI was made before Gen 6 was released likely due to the fact that it was on the 3DS and Gen 5 started on the DS while Gen 6 started on the 3DS.

Anyways, I'm all for another PMD game. I didn't like GTI much compared to Explorers of Time/Darkness/Sky. Those games were amazing and Red & Blue Rescue Team were great as well. Hopefully they make another one like PMD2 in the near future in this generation. Maybe they could even put it on Wii U.

What I want from it is probably pretty obvious and likely the same as what most people want. Lots of Pokémon, possibly all of them. Great story, return of the personality quiz, decent amount of Pokémon to choose from as hero/partner, good local (and possibly online) play, etc.

Rakurai

I really only had an issue with the low amount of post-game content/Pokemon and slow text speed. If they can just improve on those two aspects, I'll be glad.

Having more starters would be nice, but as long as everything is being done in 3D, I'm not really expecting it, since having to animate so many different Pokemon for all of the cutscenes is probably too time consuming.

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
I have a feeling that the series is either dead or not coming back for a while thanks to GtI, normally when a game ****s up that badly nowadays they don't get another one. But for the sake of not derailing this topic, I'll just assume that that's not the case.

Anyway, this is what I'd like to see in a 6th gen Mystery Dungeon game:

Starters: Bring back the personality quiz and have lots of starters again. I don't think that they'll keep all of the starters anymore because it's just getting to be too many, but they can still give us a decent variety. Here's what I think the starter list should be:

[SPOIL]Bulbasaur
Charmander
Squirtle
Pikachu
Eevee
Treecko
Torchic
Mudkip
Riolu
Snivy
Tepig
Oshawott
Blitzle
Zorua
Chespin
Fennekin
Froakie
Bunnelby
Litleo[/SPOIL]

-All of the 5th gen Pokemon that weren't in GtI and all of the 6th gen Pokemon need to show up in this game.
-All of the legendary Pokemon that haven't been recruitable be recruitable in this game. That includes Victini, Reshiram, Zekrom, Kyurem, Genesect, Diancie, and Hoopa and Volcanion if they're revealed by that point.
-Mega Evolutions should feature prominently in this game. As for how they would work, it would probably be best if it worked off a special meter that charges up as you walk around. Bosses would also use Mega Evolutions, which they would automatically trigger when their HP gets low.

Rakurai

Despite being considered mediocre by a lot of people, the sales figures were about the same as the other PMD titles, if not better, which is the main thing that matters, not the reception.

So unless Spike Chunsoft ends up being super busy with other projects, I'd say we're pretty much guaranteed to get another one.

Sunset Star

The DS Gamer
Rakurai, I almost completely forgot about the incredibly slow text speed in GTI until I read your post. X3 Yeah, the text speed needs to be improved, urgently. I always dreaded a Pokémon levelling up in GTI because of the slow stat update thing. I seriously don't get why Chunsoft thought making the text speed slow and impossible to change was a good idea...

A minor quibble I had with Gates was that it still used the headshots. I understand that there are a lot of different Pokémon in a lot of different shapes, but if the DS Zelda games, with polygons sharp enough to give you papercuts, can give their characters actual animated facial expressions, there's no excuse for a 3DS game not being able to do so.

DarkerShining

Hmm... Let's see... I think a 6th Gen PMD game should:

- Have all the Pokémon in it.
- Bring back the ability to do multiple missions in a mystery dungeon at once.
- Bring back the genders.
- Bring back the ability to gain eggs from missions.
- Have an on/off option of sorts as to whether you want Pokémon not in the party to gain experience or not.
- Keep the leveling up attacks thing from Gates to Infinity, because I kind of liked that. If not that, then bring back the ability to link attacks together.
- More starters to choose from, and possibly bring back the personality quiz.
- Bringing back individual IQ skills.
- Finding a way to incorporate Mega Evolution, although I'd be surprised if they didn't do that.

Rakurai

A minor quibble I had with Gates was that it still used the headshots. I understand that there are a lot of different Pokémon in a lot of different shapes, but if the DS Zelda games, with polygons sharp enough to give you papercuts, can give their characters actual animated facial expressions, there's no excuse for a 3DS game not being able to do so.

It honestly wouldn't feel like a PMD game without the headshots.

At least they did actually bother giving the Pokemon some visible emotion outside of those this time.

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
Despite being considered mediocre by a lot of people, the sales figures were about the same as the other PMD titles, if not better, which is the main thing that matters, not the reception.

So unless Spike Chunsoft ends up being super busy with other projects, I'd say we're pretty much guaranteed to get another one.

Well I can't seem to find reliable sales data on GtI, but it doesn't look it sold more than 1-2 million. The other games sold 3-4 million. I'd be a little worried about that.

Rakurai

Did the past games seriously sell that many copies?

I was under the impression the spin-off titles in general struggled to sell more then a million copies.

Trainer Yusuf

VolcaniNO

I was under the impression the spin-off titles in general struggled to sell more then a million copies.

Yes, but the handheld series and the console fighters tended to double that amount.

Though since GtI was a download title, we can't know the real sales unless Nintendo tells us.

But for the topic at hand, I'm pretty sure the reason we haven't heard of a PMD game so far is less because GtI's reception, and more because the generation is not fully revealed yet. The alternate forme(s) of Zygarde and a bunch of Mega Evolutions are still in the pipeline. This has been the case for other PMD games that weren't Time and Darkness, so I don't see why things will be different here.

Sunset Star

The DS Gamer
In the plot department, the only thing I want to know is what happened to the humans? Gates to Infinity looked as if it would give us an answer. It didn't. And then there's PMD2's plot twist that raises so many questions...

Rakurai

That's really something I'd like them to actually bother touching on in one of the games. It's strongly implied that humans lived in the world of each game at some point, but they never actually go anywhere with it.

I'm glad they at least explained why they needed a human to save the world this time around, rather then just going with the generic chosen one stuff.

Keysmash

buys meat
Ouch, I'm certainly not one to sing praises for Gates but I think that by no means does it deserve the crap it gets. That's probably a mix of nostalgia and emotional attachment speaking, but it's still a PMD game, dammit. I love this series almost unconditionally, and I honestly think that they'd have to mess up bad for me to lose faith in PMD.

As for changes...

- Hunger mechanic. Keeps things at least a little fresh and not just mindless walking around.
- Personality quiz. Maybe having to do with the Myers-Briggs test, which would be neat, but any form of it would do.
- Text speed settings
- Multiple missions at once

I don't have any beef with the amount of recruitables, I tend not to worry (or care) about that kind of thing. And, having fallen for the new graphics I thought I'd never get used to, I'd love for that to continue as well. Keep up the great music (especially the tearjerker tracks the composers are so good at) and come up with a fresh story with good characters, and I'm ready and raring to go. And, well, I admit I've already started thinking up teams, names, and team names...

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder

Okay, well if a million-ish is considered good, then there's no problem.

VGChartz is not a reliable source for sales because they tend to estimate sales figures. Or so I'm told.

Though since GtI was a download title, we can't know the real sales unless Nintendo tells us.

No it wasn't, and that seems to be the only reliable source for sales data anyway.

But for the topic at hand, I'm pretty sure the reason we haven't heard of a PMD game so far is less because GtI's reception, and more because the generation is not fully revealed yet. The alternate forme(s) of Zygarde and a bunch of Mega Evolutions are still in the pipeline. This has been the case for other PMD games that weren't Time and Darkness, so I don't see why things will be different here.

By that logic we won't be getting it until the end of this gen, which is an awfully long time to wait. We didn't get Arceus in 4th gen, and I don't think GtI came out before Genesect was revealed, so I don't expect them to wait until every single Pokemon is officially revealed for 6th gen. 2015ish would be as good a time as any for a Mystery Dungeon game, maybe by then we'll have Hoopa and then the only things missing would be Zygarde's new forms, Volcanion, and whatever Mega Evolutions they release in Z/XY2. I'd say that's good enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.