• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

A Judgement Brawl! (406)

ZilverLox

Banned
Ash's battle with Katie was very exciting. And it was cool to see Destiny Bond in the anime. I was wondering how they'd pull that move off. Anyway, during the part where everyone was having a day off from battling, I loved all the cute little scenes with Ash and Morrison. They were great. And I also liked the song they used there, "You And Me And Pokemon". That's one of my favorite songs. Oh, and of it course, when Morrison found out that he's gonna battle Ash next, that was really sad. I felt sorry for him. It's kinda weird though.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Heigani clamping onto Kaede's Golduck and swinging it in a frenzy made me chuckle, and the conclusive match between Juptile and Todoseruga was wonderful. The pizza dinner scene was great too since we saw Tetsuya hanging out with the group again, but Masamune's angst felt too forced to me since he hadn't known Satoshi that long.

Zamin

This was a good episode, it was tense at the end when Morrison had to face off Ash. I am intrigued to see what will happen next episode, I am totally rooting for Ash to win!

I felt bad for Morrison when he was feeling bad about having to face Ash.

Leonhart

Imagineer
I felt bad for Morrison when he was feeling bad about having to face Ash.

It was difficult for me to find his depression believable seeing as how he was always bragging about wanting to win the Houen League before, meaning that he had no qualms about surpassing Satoshi.

Daizy

I call you honey
When Katie sent out her Walrein and Ash only had his Swellow, Grovyle and Corphish left I thought he would lose since Walrein seemed strong. I was incorrect though which was a relief.

Leonhart

Imagineer
In hindsight, Kaede would've suited Satoshi as his main Houen League rival more than Tetsuya or Masamune since she seemed to use much better tactics than those two, even if she lost.

I'm starting to think the Hoenn League's status scoreboard clock is timing in minutes and not seconds. Whatever. Funny how Corphish rocks as a battler when he's confused. It's too bad when he returned later in the battle he was all tired out and lost so easily. And I 100% expected that Ash and Morrison would eventually get matched up but what I didn't expect was Morrison being unable to face Ash.

Swellow did awesome, and so did Grovyle. What was Corphish vs Golduck? Morrison's Girafarig gets manhandled by Corphish and I feel bad for Morrison being too scared to hurt Ash's Pokémon.

doofinc

get rillaboomed
Finally doing the Hoenn Full Battle watching. This post is just for Ash vs. Katie.

Pros:
  • OHHHHH IM UNBEATABLE
  • Katie swapping for type matchups was a good strategy constantly swapping for type matchups into not swapping out from Dugtrio sure was something
    • Counter-con: she sure let Dugtrio die though
  • Glalie Headbutting the ground to get Dugtrio out was pretty good
  • Destiny Bond to nuke Glalie was a good bait, just think she could've saved her Dugtrio
  • Corphish vs Golduck is hilarious and nobody can tell me otherwise
  • Katie malding that Corphish cheesed the heck out of her into starting to play worse is a not-so-subtle detail I really like from this battle - shows the more human-aspect of strategists
    • I'm chalking up using Supersonic on a confused Pokemon to this
  • Ash's strategy to force the water wave up in order to bait Ice Beam to freeze the field is actually really good
Neutral:
  • Morrison is the reason Ash keeps forcing bad matchups. This is your fault Morrison
  • veno moth veno moth
  • This Swellow vs Scizor Double Team clash would look so much cooler with more modern animation
  • Walrein vs Grovyle would also be so good with modern animation
  • Katie lost to dodge omegalul
Cons:
  • Ash sure ran it down with Torkoal
    • Counter-pro: At least he learned from this and swapped in Swellow vs Venomot
  • Ash sure is running it down on the ground type with Thunderbolt
    • era of Pikachu still being bad
  • Primarily-water battlefields are heavily unbalanced IMO and really shouldn't be allowed as a stage. Pretty easy to get counterpicked and lose due to outside factors

Verdict:

I actually really like this battle a lot. This is easily my favourite one out of the pre-DP Full Battles so far. Good strategy here and really good comedic component with Corphish.

It's still really hard for me to try to eliminate my bias of the production value here - having to watch dub doesn't really help here but at least it wasn't awful. As noted in several Neutral points, I think if this fight was done in more modern times, I think this is an easy lock for one of the top 5's. Even though that being said, I think this might already be very close to that range (debating between this and Ash vs. Cynthia).

Overall, pleasantly surprised for what is effectively a 1-episode full battle.

Last edited:

vondecayle

I like that Katie’s team is composed of pokemon that aren’t usually showcased in battle such as Venomoth, Golduck, Dugtrio and Misdreavus. She had some good strategies and tricks under her sleeve (destiny bond, sand tomb, confusion and taking advantage of her walrein’s high defense). I’m glad she wasn’t just a COTD created to be stomped by Ash in a 10 second segment.