• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

A Judgement Brawl! (406)

V Faction

www.faction.com
JazzJazz said:
Someone said a while ago that the Hoenn League seems to have pokemon using the same attacks over and over... you've added more fuel to their fire with this observation.
JazzJazz, really, is there ever a post you make where you don't point out something random?

Well, whoever said it, I think even a child could see that they've got a select pool of attacks they want to borrow from and it isn't going to change unless something big comes along. Masamune's line-up doesn't look to change that and I know Tetsuya's sure as hell won't.

W

WindyNight

I just watched that episode. It was okay. I enjoyed the battle. Corphish was really funny in the confusion state..lol
But what's with Masamune? Why does he afraid to battle Ash? Geezz.... Weird...
I give a rating of : 7/10 to the episode....^^

JazzJazz

V Faction said:
JazzJazz, really, is there ever a post you make where you don't point out something random?

Well, whoever said it, I think even a child could see that they've got a select pool of attacks they want to borrow from and it isn't going to change unless something big comes along. Masamune's line-up doesn't look to change that and I know Tetsuya's sure as hell won't.

It wasn't random, you said you were hoping for an ice ball attack and I was just re-iterating the point that someone made about the limited attacks for the Hoenn League... with the writers' selection for the token ice-type attack being ice beam.

T

T.Z

I somehow doesnt get how a little crab thing like Corpish could be so damn good.

Korobooshi Kojiro

Funnnngaaaaa
Geodude said:
The only reason V Faction thinks Ice Beam is getting old is the extended "work with Snorunt on Ice Beam" subplot.

Mimic was unexepected though, guess like how Seals mimic people with the horns at the Circus, or something.

Anyway, I personally think Masamune loves Ash...

Uh....... Hoennshipping? (Not good at this...)

BTW, did they mention what town Masamune was from? I heard them saying something after they announced his name.

Sushi

unspecified
Staff member
Super Mod
Hoennshipping is for May x Brendan ^_^
And the announcer said Shidake Town, which is Verdanturf Town I think.

In my opinion, this was the most interesting Hoenn League episode so far.
Of course, I liked the fact that Corphish was in it, and I loved how Golduck looked while Corphish was spinning it around, that was hilarious.
I was already excited during the Swellow vs. Scizor match, but Grovyle vs. Walrein was even better, probably one of the most intense battles ever. I liked the music that played during the battle too.

Well, I'm glad that the writers made Masamune afraid of the battle against Ash. They are finally showing someone who has problems with seperating friendship and battles.

Gravy

Contaminated KFC
First of all, I'd just like to say that the animation throughout the majority of the episode was spectacular. All the attacks had a feeling of raw strength and power behind them, and the movement of the pokémon themselves was very impressive. Some moments which spring to mind are when Grovyle uses Quick Attack to weave in and out of the onslaught of Ice Beams, and when Swellow and Scizor were charging into each other in mid-air.
The drawing style may not have been as definable as Team Ota, but damn, it was still great fun to watch regardless.

...also, Kaeda looked freakin' hot *nods* Especially when she looked seriously pizzed off :p

And of course, the battles themselves were all brilliant. Corphish's battle, as many have already said, was absolutely hillarious. The entire spectacle just suited Corphish's character so very well. I had to start laughing when it leaped out of the water in its merry little drunken state, clubbing Golduck in the back of the head. His voice during the entire ordeal just added to the humour XP

Flying pokémon getting redemption for so many years of being useless = tear-jerker. Seriously, seeing a bird-based pokémon landing such excellent KO's and performing all those moves was just wonderful. Ariel battles are always cool, plain and simple~

I think that thus far, The Grovyle and Walrein battle has to be one of the most believable confrontations I've seen in a while. The whole thing was choreographed superbly, and was definatly the best battle in the Houen league to date. Although, seeing a large slab of blubber like Walrein fly through the air at such speeds was slightly amusing~

Regarding Masamune, I actually felt quite sorry for him. Although, I feel that if we'd been introduced to him sooner in the series, many people would feel a lot more sympathy for the character. And I'm all for character development, but at the expense of knocking out Girafarig so soon? Bah, I didn't like that at all. Speaking of which, did anyone notice the use of CG animation for Light Screen?

Just to note, but I'm with V-Faction on this one. There are far too many redundant attacks, and I'm not fond of the writers taking the easy way out and not attempting to animate anything new. Ice Beam seems to be cropping up more often than it should. An Ice Ball from Walrein would have been more appropriate and the fact that Metal Claw looks no different from Crabhammer was laugable. Also, everything and their mothers know Iron Tail these days T.T

Yamato-san

I own the 5th gen
[opens file and fast forwards to scene with Light Screen.] Holy crap, you're right. It seems that more and more CG is being used in the series lately. Hope to see more.

As someone else pointed out earlier, Kaede did seem very worked up over this, and I must say it's a shame they didn't do more with her character afterwards. Why is it that a friggin ugly, little girl character like Moe stays around for a few more episodes to cheer Satoshi on in his battles, but a cool character like Kaede is immediately dropped in the trash bin with the other trillion characters encountered throughout the series and can't even make a cameo in the audience?

Anyway, I agree with everyone else, this was a damn good episode. I.... was expecting this would finally be the episode with Juptle's evolution, and I stayed away from this forum until I saw the ep (because, you know, it's so friggin hard to avoid spoilers around here. I'm probably gonna be like this for the next few episodes, seeing as watching Satoshi's badass Kimori reach the final stage, a Pokemon truley deserving of such a prize, is something I've been anticipating for a long time). But hey, I didn't get this episode spoiled anyway, so I received the full impact upon first seeing some interesting things, like Heigani's hilarious battle against Golduck, as well as Oosubame's and Juptle's battles. Then there was Masamune. I loved seeing his reaction to the match-up, seemed very dramatic, and such a twist should finally get some people to shut up about Masamune and Tetsuya being the same old rivals as the previous leagues. And am I mistranslating, or did Takeshi mention that this was Masamune's first tournament, thus all the more reason this is so hard on him?

V Faction

www.faction.com
Geodude said:
The only reason V Faction thinks Ice Beam is getting old is the extended "work with Snorunt on Ice Beam" subplot.
Really? Hmm.. I didn't think of that. But it supports my rampage I guess. My original complaint was with Walrein's overusage of Ice Beam, which then evolved into this hatred of selected attacks. Kojiro is right though, Mimic was unexpected and a welcome treat. I didn't know what it was at first till Murg pointed it out.

JazzJazz said:
It wasn't random, you said you were hoping for an ice ball attack and I was just re-iterating the point that someone made about the limited attacks for the Hoenn League... with the writers' selection for the token ice-type attack being ice beam.
I wasn't refering to my post alone. You like to add interesting nuggets of info to other posts. I mean, I certainly wasn't aware of this person's input before and then you enlightened me.

B

Blaziken master

This episode was brill!The best parts were swellow and grovyle's fights.Definetely the best hoenn league episode!

Gravy said:
First of all, I'd just like to say that the animation throughout the majority of the episode was spectacular. All the attacks had a feeling of raw strength and power behind them, and the movement of the pokémon themselves was very impressive. Some moments which spring to mind are when Grovyle uses Quick Attack to weave in and out of the onslaught of Ice Beams, and when Swellow and Scizor were charging into each other in mid-air.
The drawing style may not have been as definable as Team Ota, but damn, it was still great fun to watch regardless.

...also, Kaeda looked freakin' hot *nods* Especially when she looked seriously pizzed off :p

And of course, the battles themselves were all brilliant. Corphish's battle, as many have already said, was absolutely hillarious. The entire spectacle just suited Corphish's character so very well. I had to start laughing when it leaped out of the water in its merry little drunken state, clubbing Golduck in the back of the head. His voice during the entire ordeal just added to the humour XP

Flying pokémon getting redemption for so many years of being useless = tear-jerker. Seriously, seeing a bird-based pokémon landing such excellent KO's and performing all those moves was just wonderful. Ariel battles are always cool, plain and simple~

I think that thus far, The Grovyle and Walrein battle has to be one of the most believable confrontations I've seen in a while. The whole thing was choreographed superbly, and was definatly the best battle in the Houen league to date. Although, seeing a large slab of blubber like Walrein fly through the air at such speeds was slightly amusing~

Regarding Masamune, I actually felt quite sorry for him. Although, I feel that if we'd been introduced to him sooner in the series, many people would feel a lot more sympathy for the character. And I'm all for character development, but at the expense of knocking out Girafarig so soon? Bah, I didn't like that at all. Speaking of which, did anyone notice the use of CG animation for Light Screen?

Just to note, but I'm with V-Faction on this one. There are far too many redundant attacks, and I'm not fond of the writers taking the easy way out and not attempting to animate anything new. Ice Beam seems to be cropping up more often than it should. An Ice Ball from Walrein would have been more appropriate and the fact that Metal Claw looks no different from Crabhammer was laugable. Also, everything and their mothers know Iron Tail these days T.T

...There's nothing I can really say after this. Gravy stole the review right out of my mouth and then some, even if it was a long time ago that he wrote that. All I can say is that I absolutely agree. This is probably the best episode in the entire League.

My favorite two animation shots: Walrein's first Ice Beam completely blowing away the platform Grovyle had been standing on, and Swellow's follow-through after it knocked Scizor out of the sky. Both were excellent to watch.

I also am glad to see Team Rocket really just kept out of the way this entire arc. A little late to be remarking on it, nearly through with the League and having other people noticing, but I'm still happy about it. It makes you wish Gym Battles worked like that.

~*CB*~
The 8th Champion

Kabuto

little punks!
That was a cool finale to the fight. I liked how they had both Scizor and Swellow do double team at the same time. Have they ever shown that before? Anyway, Morrison gets more character development but I'm afraid it costs him the match.

As someone else pointed out earlier, Kaede did seem very worked up over this, and I must say it's a shame they didn't do more with her character afterwards. Why is it that a friggin ugly, little girl character like Moe stays around for a few more episodes to cheer Satoshi on in his battles, but a cool character like Kaede is immediately dropped in the trash bin with the other trillion characters encountered throughout the series and can't even make a cameo in the audience?

Whole heartedly agreed. She was a cool smart trainer but they're all dropped after the league anyway.

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
Ash vs. Katie rocked. She's my favorite character from the Hoenn league now, with Morrison a close second. She was battling using "game" strategy attacks, it was exciting to see her constantly training and adaption to the battle, along with seeing Destiny Bond for the first time.

Lots of Pokemon we haven't seen in awhile! Golduck, Venemoth, Scizor, Dugtrio, Walerin and Misdreavous!

Anyone notice how May is the only one allowed to hold Pikachu when Ash isn't using it? It was funny to see it sitting on May's head just like it does with Ash.

Yay for Prof. Oak, Tracey, Delia and Misty cameos! Why didn't they show Norman and Caroline again, considering they got a cameo in the preliminaries watching Ash?

The latter half with Morrison's reaction was a little rushed, but I gues we had to get moving. Is this the first time one of Ash's rivals didn't want to battle him? I know Richie had some doubts too, but Morrison is really against it.

Girafarig goes down! Whoever wins this goes into the Top 8, which is the exact same place Ash came in the Johto league!

Both were great episodes, although its unfortunate that things get a little bit rushed from here...

God, why couldn't Morrison become Gary's replacement? He's a cool character and an interesting rival, shame we may never see him again.

RaikousThunder

Poison Tail!!
Another good ep. Im really enjoying the Hoenn League, even though the next few eps are going to go by fast. The final matches between Katie and Ash were good. Grovyle rocks. I was surprised to see Walrein use Mimic. Quick Attack on Walrein is like wow considering its huge size, but Mimic lets you do anything. And aww man the dubs have been doing really good wih pokemon names lately, they had to go mess up misnaming Machoke for Machamp, even with the voice. Also strange how Morrison beat Machamp earlier and fights a Machoke? Couldnt they find a different pokemon to make a cameo besides a pokemon that shows up a lot? Meowth beating Rhydon kinda bugged me but eh. I really like Morrison its just too bad he messes up cause he doesnt want to fight Ash. Poor Girafarig, such a cool pokemon getting screwed over. Havent seen it in so long and it doesnt even get a chance to do much on screen. I would have rather seen Girafarig paired up with Gligar in the match against Marowak and Machamp. We see Growlithe enough. Well i look forward to next weeks eps.

G

Geki

What an awesome battle. This is probably the best battle in the whole league, except the one with Tyson afterwords. I really liked how Kaede kept switching out to counter Ash's type, we hardly ever see switch-outs in the anime. The animation was done well too, especially the battle between Grovyle and Walrein. But besides that battle, it sucks that Morrison is whining about battling Ash. He should just suck it up and battle, even though he does next battle. Remember when Ash had the same problem facing Richie? Morrison reminds me of a long ago Ash. And, was the ''Pizza'' that everyone as eating in the Japanese version? If not, it looked really, well, bad drawn. XD

My Rating 10/10

Katie is the Pokémon trainer KT wishes she could be.;_; She was THAT awesome. I have a habit of trying out Pokés I haven't before, but this girl takes it to a whole new level!:D I'm so jealous...

As for Morrison, I can't blame him since he's sort of a newbie. But he needs to step up his game, or the next episode won't be any fun at all! 10/10 for Katie's battle alone!

S.Suikun

Thank you, SPPf! :)
"Machamp is unable to battle"? Idiots. That's a Machoke.

Other than that minor slip-up, everything through the end of the Kaede battle was awesome. I'm glad the writers didn't rush her battle like what Ash's other rivals shall soon fall victim to. Although everyone and their mother knows how much I detest Morrison, I'm glad he's gradually stepping away from the "Ash clone" steroeotype. I mean, Ash wasn't this way when he went up against Richie back in Indigo.

Ralts Master

Knight of White Eye
It was nice to see a COMPETENT trainer in the anime for once, and one that used Walrein and Misdreavus at that!

S.Suikun

Thank you, SPPf! :)
Ralts Master said:
It was nice to see a COMPETENT trainer in the anime for once, and one that used Walrein and Misdreavus at that!
It's a good thing you said "Trainer" and not "Battler", or I would have hammered you with a gigantic list of Coordinators.