• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

A Keeper for Keeps? (917)

Pokemon Fan

Knuckle Trainer
I haven't watched the series in a long, long time, but it's sorta depressing to see that the writing team, despite this serious jump in visual quality, has yet to evolve past reusing this same 'conflict' time after time.
The Black and White series featured lengthy periods of TR either not being present or being a greater threat than usual, and as far as I know it didn't really improve the series, indeed people complained about the changes.

I don't like how repetitive and soulless TR usually are these days either, but at least they are normally a minor element in a given episode.

U.N. Owen

In Brightest Day, In Blackest Night ...
Am I the only one who finds it somewhat revolting to see the exact same pitfall sequence in this episode Team Rocket has used for years?
In every series, practically every other episode, it's always...
-It's nearing the end of the second act of the episode
-Cast suddenly falls into an improbable pitfall
-Team rocket shoots net, does their speech.
-Characters stare for 10 minutes and shout as if this crap still surprises them every single time.
-They get out, they snipe the balloon, Conflict Quota Achieved.

I haven't watched the series in a long, long time, but it's sorta depressing to see that the writing team, despite this serious jump in visual quality, has yet to evolve past reusing this same 'conflict' time after time. It's like when they can't come up with something, they toss in Team Rocket Pitfall+Net. TR are the blandest villains ever created, having devolved into shorthand for "we need a conflict in this episode because we're horrid writers. Bring in the rockets." This way they never have to put out effort, or affect personal change in their cast. The rockets never present any real or immediate danger, actions taken now never have long standing consequences, no need to make a villain that has any depth.
Trapped in their status quo eternity. The moment I saw it, scene for scene, happen yet again, I lost interest in this series.

Fight scenes are like shaking your keys in front of a child. This can only work so long because people get bored and need to actually care about the characters. Great potential was staring them in the face. This could have been character focused, this could have been great, but all the use of bad writing cause everything to fall apart.

WaterShuriken

"I..I..Iron Tail, Pikachu."
I actually did like Lilia. I hope that she returns in the future. The fact that Bonnie went back to the same old thing at the end ruined this for me cause I laughed at her reactions.

Xeogran

Marshadow Fan
The Black and White series featured lengthy periods of TR either not being present or being a greater threat than usual, and as far as I know it didn't really improve the series.

It greatly improved quality of episodes from one side, yet then there was the problem of Ash's mind wipe / reset.

A combination of Serious TR + XY Ash would be perfect.

Not to mention we had Serious TR for like 10 episodes and then we all know what happened. Writing plans went off the wrong way and they were in a rush to make new things up (Meloetta arc would've most likely never happened if Plasma was active) before the writers gave up and returned TR back to how they normally were.

WillDaSnail

Soon™?
I thought this episode was not too bad. Nice to see some some development for Bonnie (though she went back to doing her gag relatively quickly...)

Though for one particular scene involving Arbok...

That Arbok bondage though. Bonnie's mind has already been soiled by the internet.

Ayyyy lmao. Great to know Bonnie already know what bondage is all about ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

And who else bets the Arbok scene won't be in the dub?

If the dub did not take out this scene, I'd be more than surprised. *Puts $50 on the table*

XXD17

Draco rex
Am I the only one who finds it somewhat revolting to see the exact same pitfall sequence in this episode Team Rocket has used for years?
In every series, practically every other episode, it's always...
-It's nearing the end of the second act of the episode
-Cast suddenly falls into an improbable pitfall
-Team rocket shoots net, does their speech.
-Characters stare for 10 minutes and shout as if this crap still surprises them every single time.
-They get out, they snipe the balloon, Conflict Quota Achieved.

I haven't watched the series in a long, long time, but it's sorta depressing to see that the writing team, despite this serious jump in visual quality, has yet to evolve past reusing this same 'conflict' time after time. It's like when they can't come up with something, they toss in Team Rocket Pitfall+Net. TR are the blandest villains ever created, having devolved into shorthand for "we need a conflict in this episode because we're horrid writers. Bring in the rockets." This way they never have to put out effort, or affect personal change in their cast. The rockets never present any real or immediate danger, actions taken now never have long standing consequences, no need to make a villain that has any depth.
Trapped in their status quo eternity. The moment I saw it, scene for scene, happen yet again, I lost interest in this series.

On the bright side, pikachu got a new animation sequence for one of its attacks. I guess that's something new lol.

Sigh, so Bonnie didn't learn her lesson. -_-

And who else bets the Arbok scene won't be in the dub?

They could rescript the bondage scenario where Bonnie would be like "Clemont secretly likes to sleep with a scary arbok" or something and Lilia could be like "Arbok is one of my favorite pokemon!" or something along those lines. They could at least try to stay away from the subject without affecting the flow of the episode.

Last edited:

Rohanator

The only thing worse than the writers spamming Team Rocket is watching the fans still write long paragraphs complaining about it, even though it's been a thing since the very beginning. They're making money with this at least, you're just wasting your time. Also don't forget that they TRIED to get away from the formula in Best Wishes and what made them go back? That's right the fans. The Japanese fans, who's opinions they actually care about, wanted this Team Rocket back (as well as their voice actors lol).

I enjoyed the episode, lots of funny moments and the Clemont saving Bonnie scene was very emotional and the TR fight more intense than usual.

Last edited:

Soniman

Break the Limit
Fight scenes are like shaking your keys in front of a child. This can only work so long because people get bored and need to actually care about the characters. Great potential was staring them in the face. This could have been character focused, this could have been great, but all the use of bad writing cause everything to fall apart.

Oh please, it's one quick TR scene, they hardly effected anything when the majority of the episod did focus on the characters

Last edited:

Navin

MALDREAD
Mal's Review:

What a great episode /s

Pros:

* "Zettai Akiramenai" Based OP is based

* Kek that intro dream sequence

* Bunnelby is the official pimp - first Eevee, not Buneary

* Bonnie's facial expressions and failed attempts to convince Lillia

* Clemont x Lillia - I can ship that

* Clemont with the Aipom Arm save for his sister - I miss these Bravemont moments

Cons:

* Yay, let's give Clemont a girl...and go nowhere with it!

* Yay, let's have Bonnie go back to the keepu gag at the end!

* Team Plot Device is back

Thoughts:

* We totally needed an episode devoted to the keepu gag because obviously there has already been plenty of time for the Pokémon, Serena's Master Class, and future Flare episodes...

* Why are Chespin and Pancham cockblocking their lagomorphic bro?

Hopefully this Lillia chick reappears at the end to spell a happy ending for Clemont, but otherwise this was such a waste of an episode.

2.5/10

Last edited:

Torterraaaa

I really liked this episode. The cast felt a lot older in it? And Clemont had a surprising amount of game, haha. It was nice to see him be his usual self around the girl and not get so nervous and awkward. Also, Ash: The Ultimate Wingman :cool:

And who can forget that Arbok gag O-O

Last edited:

DS0308

<--- Actually me
They could rescript the bondage scenario where Bonnie would be like "Clemont secretly likes to sleep with a scary arbok" or something and Lilia could be like "Arbok is one of my favorite pokemon!" or something along those lines. They could at least try to stay away from the subject without affecting the flow of the episode.

It's pretty obvious this is going to happen. They've changed the script a few times already in XY to not be so direct on certain topics, eg the Lapras episode. To think the dub is going to actually remove the scene is a little ridiculous.

Mrs. Oreo

Banned
Hee hee, Bonnie's fantasy scenes about Clemont getting married were funny, but I liked how she eventually got over her worry about the Cotd girl taking her brother away from her. Buneary's crush on Bunnelby was fun as well. :3

NettFox

The only thing worse than the writers spamming Team Rocket is watching the fans still write long paragraphs complaining about it, even though it's been a thing since the very beginning. They're making money with this at least, you're just wasting your time. Also don't forget that they TRIED to get away from the formula in Best Wishes and what made them go back? That's right the fans. The Japanese fans, who's opinions they actually care about, wanted this Team Rocket back (as well as their voice actors lol).

I enjoyed the episode, lots of funny moments and the Clemont saving Bonnie scene was very emotional and the TR fight more intense than usual.

Fanbases will also tussle over this for TRio yet this goes without saying much in any fandom. This episode really let their Pre-BW personality shine through which I personally prefer as the actors do since its where the original charm lies for a lot of original and new fans. Seeing as Jessie finds Buneary adorable, as per the case in some TRio plots, wants it for some scheme which harks back to when they did the same for Giovanni except without the botched Meowth voice over. I also loved how Meowth was noticing how Bunnelby was getting fawned over and had to explain it to the other two along with James holding Inkay during his blast off. Plus who's to say writers can't compromise how to portray them so they can be a somewhat competent threat with their bumbling goof side as in OS when they choose to steal or interfere with their Twerps on a daily basis while also managing to put up a decent fight against another villain team as they did in DP and recently with Team Flare before Alain showed up.

And FINALLY they didn't reuse the blasting off animation I was starting to hate plus the instrumental TRio song was great to hear. If they make more episodes that show off TRio's goofy side as they did with the pit traps then I'd be all for it. Though I would prefer them getting a set of new muscles and more glimpses at their better halves. Hell why not bring back Butch and Cassidy to bring it out even more to balance it out.

Rohanator

Fanbases will also tussle over this for TRio yet this goes without saying much in any fandom. This episode really let their Pre-BW personality shine through which I personally prefer as the actors do since its where the original charm lies for a lot of original and new fans. Seeing as Jessie finds Buneary adorable, as per the case in some TRio plots, wants it for some scheme which harks back to when they did the same for Giovanni except without the botched Meowth voice over. I also loved how Meowth was noticing how Bunnelby was getting fawned over and had to explain it to the other two along with James holding Inkay during his blast off. Plus who's to say writers can't compromise how to portray them so they can be a somewhat competent threat with their bumbling goof side as in OS when they choose to steal or interfere with their Twerps on a daily basis while also managing to put up a decent fight against another villain team as they did in DP and recently with Team Flare before Alain showed up.

And FINALLY they didn't reuse the blasting off animation I was starting to hate plus the instrumental TRio song was great to hear. If they make more episodes that show off TRio's goofy side as they did with the pit traps then I'd be all for it. Though I would prefer them getting a set of new muscles and more glimpses at their better halves. Hell why not bring back Butch and Cassidy to bring it out even more to balance it out.
With us being in this weird limbo state where the TRio have their silly personalities yet are apparently a competent part of the larger organization that Giovanni recognizes I doubt we'll ever see Butch and Cassidy again since that was pretty much their role. That's like the one thing that carried over from BW, the TRio isn't treated as a complete disgrace anymore despite more or less still being one.

Last edited:

Supersonicbro

So I watched the episode and while i wanted to have bonnie not do the marriage thing anymore after this, I'm kinda glad they kept it.

The thing about this episode was, was that she actually was coming to terms with the reality that she might lose her brother to a girl. By the end of the episode, clemont was shown to still care about her.

So because of this, she felt like she was able to still do the marriage thing because if a girl did go along with it, she wouldn't have to be worried about losing get brother.

That's how i saw it anyway.

siopaulo

I enjoyed the ep and thought it was pretty funny but did they really have to rush the master class and try to squeeze it into 2 episodes just so we could have filler eps such as these? I would have way rather had it expanded to 3 episodes and got rid of this one altogether, even though I found this ep entertaining. Serena didn't deserve a rushed ending to her goal.

JudySpell

Banned
It was entertaining how Bonnie suddenly disliked the idea of Clemont getting married & I liked how the Buneary had a crush on Bunnelby. 7/10

Perfect Zygarde

It was ironic how Bonnie was against the idea of Clemont getting married even though she constantly tries to find a wife for him.

The Black and White series featured lengthy periods of TR either not being present or being a greater threat than usual, and as far as I know it didn't really improve the series, indeed people complained about the changes.

I don't like how repetitive and soulless TR usually are these days either, but at least they are normally a minor element in a given episode.

Doesn't excuse the fact that they usually ruin an episode's plot and are shoved into episodes just for the point of having them appear though.

DatsRight

It was ironic how Bonnie was against the idea of Clemont getting married even though she constantly tries to find a wife for him.

And then goes right back to hounding girls to be his bride straight after. It's like she's cosmically designated to troll and embarrass her big brother according to what least befits him, which admittedly doesn't seem inaccurate to what little siblings do. It's actually a shame they didn't toy with an episode Bonnie gets a suitor (in a show where everyone is 10 and has had a love interest, the 'too young' excuse doesn't really stop it).