• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

A League of His Own! (928)

I mean, we knew this already but Alain is going to crunch everyone besides Ash with just dragonzard. Ash also seems to be on a similar path, judging from how we have 1 episode to transition into the semi finals. Meaning 3 rounds will be swept through rather quickly.

Now, this made me think and maybe it's abc logic but I think it's going to be hard to justify a super-close, last Pokemon-last hit scenario with Alain if Ash can only narrowly get by Sawyer in similar circumstances. Don't be surprised if Alain vs Ash is just 1 episode long, I'm not saying I expect this but I'm starting to think Alain will beat Ash comfortably a la Tobias. Greninja will probably take down invinciblezard but beyond that I'd say Alain will win with at least 2 Pokes to spare. Ash taking down 'Zard will be his "victory" rather than winning the league itself.

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash
meh it could have been handled better, but at least well probably get 4-5 episodes of the semifinal and final matches...maybe xD
either way though the Master Class was definitely handled better than the Kalos League so far :p

Prediction: League gets nuked during Ash vs Alan grand finals. When Ash takes the plane over to Hawaii he sees on tv the 2nd Kalos league take place and smiles as furfool boy lifts the Kalos league trophy :563:

Alexander18

Dragon Pokemon fan
I knew that Alain was going to win but I never knew that he would completely sweep away Trevor's team. Still a good episode and nice to see Mega Charizard X vs Mega Charizard Y. 8/10 for effort.

U.N. Owen

In Brightest Day, In Blackest Night ...
Kalos league is off to a very poor start with rushed pacing. Let's see if it improves.

Does anybody else find it ridiculous how Mega Charizard Y’s Heat Wave was stopped by simple water?

I like how the field was used for simple strategies, but it still is an attack from a Mega-Evolved Pokémon...

Supersonicbro

i like this mindset, better then already decring it as the 'worst league ever'

Yeah, i think it was because this is the first episode. Usually they dedicate an episode to the beginning of the league without any matches or at least not end the first round in one episode. That's why this felt so off.

I am holding on hope now that the first round is over and the meeting and opening is done, all we're going to see is battles.

Omegaz

Captain Amourica
First episode was really good in my opinion, yes the battles were a little rushed because unfortunately they don't have the timing, but I'd say that some of character interactions and shippy moments made up for it. Also, I'm liking the teams of pokemon we got right now. Though he lost, Trevor has a great team with Charizard, Aerodactyl, and Florges. Tierno with Blastoise, Raichu, and Ludicolo seems good. Then obviously Ash, Alain, and Shota have stacked teams as well. I'm excited to see where this goes.

riceant

LOL whats with the complaints, Greninja took damage and Mega Y made some attacks and their flamethrowers were even strength, like geez chill out guys.
In order to make it seem realistic that Ash and Alain are the finalists, they have to show some obvious differences in skill/power early on, hence the 1HKOs.
What I didn't like was how Ash just told Pikachu and Greninja to tank the attacks like a boss, which is kind of dumb if he does that against Shota/Alain, since it would be a big mistake.

Anyhow, my fav part was the Shipping moment XD, Serena grabs Ash's hand and holds it and then runs with it LOL so cute.
Best Waifu ever.

Joltik-Kid

Careful? Where's the fun in that?
Better pick up that phone... because I called it. Charizard X is the media's doll and will not get defeated easily

Joltik-Kid said:
Zard X sweep incoming... the screen shows Zard vs Zard is the very first Pokemon used by each Trainer

Last edited:

Almighty Zard

He has returned.
I will give them credit for acknowledging Trevor's in-game pokemon as his other team members, though I don't remember off hand who Charizard replaced since he only had three pokemon.

Still wish Malva and Sycamore would've reacted to Ash-Greninja.

Jangobadass

Fear the Chicken!
Yeah, i think it was because this is the first episode. Usually they dedicate an episode to the beginning of the league without any matches or at least not end the first round in one episode. That's why this felt so off.

Not to mention how the League usually happens near end of a saga in general, while the Kalos one is in a somewhat awkward place... <.<

U.N. Owen

I suppose the league rushing should have been expected. Team Flare needs to end, Marin's story needs some closure, Alain needs to closure, a league tournament needs to happen, filler is needed to promote pokemon, and Ash needs to get home and give his team a send off.

DS0308

<--- Actually me
Thank the forum gods for having an auto save feature and restoration feature for posts or this whole thing would've been lost.

-----

Right off the bat I've got to say they really should've had an extra pre-League episode to sort out festivities and reunions, there was way too much going on here. Delete that Clemont episode from existence (or the earlier Litleo/Quilladin ones) and BAM there's your episode. That said I could say the same for the Master Class to be a bit better... alright get rid of all three of those fillers I mentioned. Bleh.

I mean, ok, you have Takeru(?) with his Furfrou who didn't get their badges in time and want to prove themselves to the participants. Great. But don't be ridiculous and battle him while he's going for his League match. Good lord. I'd tell the bloke to **** off if I was Ash, but that's maybe because thinking about this scenario got me triggered. It was nice afterwards with it making Ash look mature and all and taking the request to win the League for him, but was it really necessary? In this episode of all things? I appreciate the more story-oriented direction of this episode/League went/is going. Some interesting tidbits like this trainer, Alain and Sycamore, etc.

Oh by the way, I did see a comment about why not use Greninja vs Takeru, it should be noted be was throwing a Poke Ball the first time they met, whether that was Greninja is unclear obviously.

So I'm no Japanese speaker but I felt it was pretty clear that Tierno said Serena was the (Kalos) Queen in his eyes, or something to that degree. Come on... I saw that coming from a mile away. Tierno's smooth, lol. Serena's swift dodge of the love heart was class. :p Also loved the way she was getting Ash all organised and basically told him what to do, her man isn't going to miss this League because of some random bloke. Bet she wishes she was backstage with him so he wasn't late.

The battles, rushed, yes. You can justify with the sheer and well documented power that Alain's MC-X and Ash-Greninja have, but it still detracts from the battles as a whole. I mean, it's cool to see Ash 3-0 someone (presumably) with such dominance, and Greninja ascending into a higher being is awesome because I get moist seeing a Greninja wreck house anyway (forget I said that O.O). But I almost feel like we could see extended battles if they moved festivities into last episode, had Alain vs Trevor as the ending shot, and smashed through the battles in this episode. They could easily have R64 and R32 in this episode if they did that, in my opinion. Also chopping out Takeru to put in the pre-League part. MC-X sweep was obvious as it was the first match-up against MC-Y and he was battling Trevor.

Don't ever use damage calcs or base stat distributions to justify something. It's the anime, that stuff is almost irrelevant. As far as that battle was concerned a very strong MC-X used a weather boosted powerful beam attack which landed a direct hit on its opponent. It's how we look at Cut as a sword (now kunai) attack rather than a 50 base power trash Normal type HM that no one genuinely wants to use.

Summing up, while the episode had positives in it's own right there were noticeable negatives which, in the end, made it feel rushed and detracted from the episode. Definitely would've helped if all pre-League stuff was done before the episode: Ash vs Takeru, and actually getting a genuine conversation between Alain and Sycamore, which might still happen later. I feel like the next episode won't be as rushed, but I get the feeling we'll see the very end of the R32, a little bit of R16, then the marquee battles of Ash vs Astrid and Tierno vs Sawyer. Which still seems like a bit, but I have faith.

U.N. Owen

While I normally don't have a problem with short or curb-stomp battles, the league is not the best time to do it. No matter what your opinion is on character, the battles they're featured in should be the best thing about them. Seeing characters get curb-stomped isn't great, it's boring.