• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

A League of His Own! (928)

knightwolf09

*sigh* What was the point of Y? Did its appearance really add anything? Was it really necessary to put in when it and Trevor were just going to get horribly slaughtered? It just seemed so pointless to me. Do the writers really hate Y so much that it had to get jobbed so badly by it's already ridiculously over loved counterpart? I mean, say what you will about Lucario, but at least it didn't slaughter Zoroark or something (instead, it got slaughtered by X earlier, yay), that was just pathetic and poor Trevor was just used to make Alain look good (even though he didn't need any help with looking strong).

As for the battles, rushed as all hell. What a disappointing start to the league. I can understand putting their focus on the bigger battles, but even so, they can do a lot better with the lead-up to said battles then just a KO fest. Hopefully next week is better, but my expectations are definitely lowered now.

Wasn't it kind of obvious the Y would get beat badly? I mean, it's Trevor's, and he's going up against Alain. I never expected the fight to last the episode.

pokefandt

At least the animation was nice as always.

But yeah this is not a good start to a league, I dearly hope this doesn't set the pace for the rest of the tournament.

Illusio

No words, only rage
Wasn't it kind of obvious the Y would get beat badly? I mean, it's Trevor's, and he's going up against Alain. I never expected the fight to last the episode.

My issue wasn't that it lost (Alain is the better trainer), my issue was that it served no purpose and the battle was terribly lackluster for being the title match. Drought didn't play much of a factor, its other abilities weren't showcased, and it lost within a minute of transforming. Nothing was gained in its appearance, it did just about as well as its base form in taking down Alain and we wouldn't have lost anything in just having base Charizard used. It was a terrible debut all around, and even if it had to lose, they could've done a lot better in showcasing it then just feeding it to make its counterpart look better.

Last edited:

knightwolf09

because its in the episode title

Just because it's in the title, doesn't mean it was going be a long difficult battle. It just mostly meant, they'll fight. The same result is probably going to happen next episode and Shota is going to have little problem with Raichu.

Xuxuba

Didn't expect anything else either, regardless of the fight being on the title.
Mega Altaria's fight on the other hand...

dman_dustin

By the way what in the hell is league's problem with disqualifying people who don't show up. No, no, let's NOT go look for the person, god forbid a trainer that doesn't show up, isn't being held up by an angry drunk individual with a knife to his/her throat.

This happened as well in the Kanto league, and yet the reason for that was Team Rocket's fault. I don't understand why people are getting close to being disqualified for things OUTSIDE of their own control. I think that's incredibly unfair and a disservice to the entire competition. Because enough people could hire a lot of people and many people can be disqualified unfairly INTENTIONALLY upsetting the entire nature of the league, and making the league having a FORCED outcome. Why battle, when you can hire a bunch of thugs to distract your opponent LONG enough to disqualify.

That wasn't the case here, but it's very seedy that the league would even allow such a thing to happen because of their strict rules. I mean with the whole Team Rocket thing in Kanto, and the stupid thing was NO ONE BOTHERED TO LOOK FOR ASH.....well okay maybe I'm not remembering correctly and Misty and Brock did look, but you would think there would've been surveillance of Team Rocket stealing Ash's Pokemon to allow that the battle be postponed until Ash could resolve his issue with Team Rocket, as the league were VERY aware of Team Rocket at THAT time.

What? No Welfare Check before you disqualify a trainer or maybe see why they're not showing up?

Because if the league worked on disqualifying trainers on not showing up. Then explain to me why someone can't be hired to manipulate the battles in such a fashion?

Like for the finals, why doesn't Ash hire a powerful bad person and have them tranquilize Alain for a few hours and have him be disqualified for not showing up and Ash wins by default. OKAY bad example, Ash wouldn't do that.

OR Team Rocket tranquilizing Ash for a few hours allowing Alain to win.

There are seriously NO checks or balances at all in regards to this.

That was bad.

Not a single individual good battle. Everything got one-shotted with bad animation, which is something Best Wishes would serve us and not XY. What's the point of a 3 vs 3 first round if there's nothing to show?

At least the battlefields are interesting... if they utilize them.

Agreed, they could've been 1 vs 1 matches and served the SAME purpose. But I guess 64 trainers necessitated 3 on 3 battles though maybe the 3 on 3 battles were to serve the purpose of the Furfrou trainer allowing Ash to battle.

*sigh* What was the point of Y? Did it'd appearance really add anything? Was it really necessary to put in when it and Trevor were just going to get horribly slaughtered? It just seemed so pointless to me. Do the writers really hate Y so much that it had to get jobbed so badly by it's already ridiculously over loved counterpart? I mean, say what you will about Lucario, but at least it didn't slaughter Zoroark or something (instead, it got slaughtered by X, yay).

As for the battles, rushed as all hell. What a disappointing start to the league. I can understand putting their focus on the bigger battles, but even so, they can do a lot better with the lead-up to said battles then just a KO fest. Hopefully next week is better, but my expectations are definitely lowered now.

If Alain's Charizard used Thunderpunch on Mega Charizard Y, I would've had less of a problem of Charizard sweeping. But REALLY? Flamethrower ONE SHOTTING MEGA Charizard Y a Pokemon that has a fairly HIGH special defense stat in comparison to Mega Charizard X's special attack stat that it should NOT have been one shotted at least not with a very not effective move. Less so than a flamethrower on Mega Charizard X, but still even so, Charizard Y resists it.

CupidKirby

Well that was....really rushed.

The first half was actually pretty good. I enjoyed the buildup between Ash and Alain, as well as the nod with Shota. It got me hyped for a bit, but then that second half had to come and ruin it. And do I even need to explain why it was bad? Charizard Y got one-shot in its debut match. Enough said. The rest of the on screen stuff was just more matches being one-shot with no strategy at all. Ash predictably got a Greninja sweep. It wasn't even fun to watch.

That whole conflict between Ash and the Furfrou trainer was all right but if it existing resulted in the rest of Trevor's match being skimped out on, I'd prefer if it wasn't there. Overall, I'd say the start of this league isn't looking promising.

Navin

MALDREAD
By the way what in the hell is league's problem with disqualifying people who don't show up. No, no, let's NOT go look for the person, god forbid a trainer that doesn't show up, isn't being held up by an angry drunk individual with a knife to his/her throat. This happened as well in the Kanto league, and yet the reason for that was Team Rocket's fault. I don't understand why people are getting close to being disqualified for things OUTSIDE of their own control. I think that's incredibly unfair and a disservice to the entire competition. Because enough people could hire a lot of people and many people can be disqualified unfairly INTENTIONALLY upsetting the entire nature of the league, and making the league having a FORCED outcome. Why battle, when you can hire a bunch of thugs to distract your opponent LONG enough to disqualify. That wasn't the case here, but it's very seedy that the league would even allow such a thing to happen because of their strict rules. I mean with the whole Team Rocket thing in Kanto, and the stupid thing was NO ONE BOTHERED TO LOOK FOR ASH.....well okay maybe I'm not remembering correctly and Misty and Brock did look, but you would think there would've been surveillance of Team Rocket stealing Ash's Pokemon to allow that the battle be postponed until Ash could resolve his issue with Team Rocket, as the league were VERY aware of Team Rocket at THAT time. What? No Welfare Check before you disqualify a trainer or maybe see why they're not showing up? Because if the league worked on disqualifying trainers on not showing up. Then explain to me why someone can't be hired to manipulate the battles in such a fashion?
Like for the finals, why doesn't Ash hire a powerful bad person and have them tranquilize Alain for a few hours and have him be disqualified for not showing up and Ash wins by default. OKAY bad example, Ash wouldn't do that. OR Team Rocket tranquilizing Ash for a few hours allowing Alain to win.
There are seriously NO checks or balances at all in regards to this.

This happens in sports. If you don't show up on time, then you're disqualified. My doubles partner and I participated in a casual tennis tournament at my university last year, and if you didn't arrive within 10 minutes of your match, it was an automatic disqualification. It doesn't matter your circumstances.

dman_dustin

This happens in sports. If you don't show up on time, then you're disqualified. My doubles partner and I participated in a casual tennis tournament at my university last year, and if you didn't arrive within 10 minutes of your match, it was an automatic disqualification. It doesn't matter your circumstances.

So then why not hire people to disqualify your opponent to force your victory. (I don't mean YOU specifically just for an example).

Or does there come a point where an official realizes that your winning SOLELY because you don't have an opponent?

Hauteclaire

BOY I SURE DO LOVE this Alain and Sawyer battle tournament.

I do. I actually do. I don't care about Trevor and Tierno, Mega Charizard Y and Altaria getting one-shotted, etc. I only care about Ash, Alain and Sawyer.

why dont you tell us why you liked the episode then

Sure. In my opinion it was a very good episode, the only thing I didn't liked is what they did with Ash's match versus Tomo (at least show us how it ended!). Also, that whole thing with Takeru felt very refreshing. And even TR wasn't extremely annoying, which is surprising.

See, I have different expectations and much lower standarts than most of you guys. You can call me an idiot, whatever. But that's just my opinion.

So then why not hire people to disqualify your opponent to force your victory. (I don't mean YOU specifically just for an example).

Or does there come a point where an official realizes that your winning SOLELY because you don't have an opponent?

Maybe because people would realise too many trainers aren't showing up and later use common sense to deduct something's up?

dman_dustin

I do. I actually do. I don't care about Trevor and Tierno, Mega Charizard Y and Altaria getting one-shotted, etc.
I only care about Ash, Alain and Sawyer.
If you meant you only care about Ash battling Alain/Sawyer then fine, but keep in mind if you care about Ash, you wouldn't want him to ONLY have decent battles against Sawyer/Alain.

In which case to follow up. Why even bother having these full battles against Sawyer and Alain in the Kalos league, seems superflous to me, why not create a full battle tournament and just have Ash battle Sawyer/Alain there. Why IN the Kalos league if the tournament is going to ONLY be about Sawyer/Alain? Oh sorry....I messed up....ONLY about Sawyer/Alain/Trainers-who-don't-have-8-badges. At least the last one ended in THIS episode.

Navin

MALDREAD
So then why not hire people to disqualify your opponent to force your victory. (I don't mean YOU specifically just for an example). Or does there come a point where an official realizes that your winning SOLELY because you don't have an opponent?

Ash didn't have to battle this punk. He felt 'honor-bound,' so he consciously risked being delayed to have a battle. If he was physically obstructing Ash to move forward, Ash could have turned around and called Officer Jenny or his friends or some tournament official. I think you are overthinking this scenario.

Haunter ゴースト

But how could Trevor have possibly done any better then this without it being terrible writing?

This is a Charizard X that plowed its way through 10 mega's, including an E4 member vs a rookie trainers Charizard Y who's had 3 battles on screen prior to this (lost them all) and literally no feats worth noting to its name.
Trevor suddenly being capable of fighting a Charizard that has battled and beaten an E4 member's mega would be completely ridiculous. Unless Ash gets his Charizard, then there really is no way a Charizard Y can compete with Alain's.

Alain and Ash are E4 level trainers at this point, so they should be plowing their way through most challengers (since more then a handful of E4 levels wouldn't make any sense). Them plowing their way through the League actually makes a lot of sense, it shows they have both "outgrown" this level and are ready to face the E4 and Champ
Guys like Tierno and Trevor should be fodder compared to them, Shota should to, but he gets a plot required rival boost.

It's not about him not doing better, its about the fact the Zard Y is also a Mega who should have been able to withstand a few flamethrowers. Not get hit by one non-effective attack and get KOed. I know Alain is stronger, but you can't possibly tell me Mega Zard Y couldn't have at least put up some form of fight. If he had just withstood a few more hits i'd have let this go easier.

Aegiscalibur

Add Witty Title Here
Nice clip show, 11/10.

And really, Ash? You have a league match coming up and you're fighting random people in the hallways?

Jangobadass

Fear the Chicken!
Well, THIS League is off to a great start... -_-

I've long suspected it, and now it's official: the producers EFFING HATE MEGA-CHARIZARD Y :(

I know they have Team Flare to deal with, and getting ready for SM, but...DAY-UM, SON! :eek:

Last edited:

Master_Tyrell

It's not about him not doing better, its about the fact the Zard Y is also a Mega who should have been able to withstand a few flamethrowers. Not get hit by one non-effective attack and get KOed. I know Alain is stronger, but you can't possibly tell me Mega Zard Y couldn't have at least put up some form of fight. If he had just withstood a few more hits i'd have let this go easier.

I think the reason it KO'd it with Flamethrower was because it was boosted by Sunny Day. Charizard Y does have Drought and it seems Trevor pointed it out when he used the Fire type move right after it Mega Evolved. Couple that with the fact that Alain's Charizard is very strong, I think it is realistic for it to defeat Trevor's Charizard in that manner.

dman_dustin

Exactly this.

OR at least have Mega Charizard X use THUNDERPUNCH on Mega Charizard Y.

Yes I just checked a move calculator. Thunderpunch is MORE effective on Mega Charizard Y than Flamethrower FROM Mega Charizard X. And the only way Mega Charizard Y could one shot Mega Charizard Y with Flamethrower (If Trevor at least has a level 50) is if Alain's Charizard is at 100. Even at level 80, 30 levels higher, it still takes 2 hits.

I would've been fine with the outcome if Mega Charizard X at least used a neutral move or a super effective move.

Ash didn't have to battle this punk. He felt 'honor-bound,' so he consciously risked being delayed to have a battle. .
No he kind of had to. The guy wasn't moving, Ash was compelled to fight.

If he was physically obstructing Ash to move forward, Ash could have turned around and called Officer Jenny or his friends or some tournament official.
Except that's not Ash. Ash would fight. Just like Ash wouldn't tell anyone that Team Rocket stole his Pikachu to explain why he won't show up.

I think you are overthinking this scenario
Not really when NO ONE bothers to do welfare checks on the trainer. God forbid Ash be having a seizure/stroke somewhere.

Oh but Dustin, Ash wasn- THAT"S NOT the point, the point is Ash COULD have been in danger. And no one bothered to care about that. It was ENTIRELY unnecessary to add the entirety of that in just to detract from a few minutes of screen time that could've been used to flesh out certain battles.

Last edited: