• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

A League of His Own! (928)

Master_Tyrell

Exactly this.

OR at least have Mega Charizard X use THUNDERPUNCH on Mega Charizard Y.

Yes I just checked a move calculator. Thunderpunch is MORE effective on Mega Charizard Y than Flamethrower FROM Mega Charizard X. And the only way Mega Charizard Y could one shot Mega Charizard Y with Flamethrower (If Trevor at least has a level 50) is if Alain's Charizard is at 100. Even at level 80, 30 levels higher, it still takes 2 hits.

I would've been fine with the outcome if Mega Charizard X at least used a neutral move or a super effective move.

Never use stats for these sort of things. I agree that a Super Effective move might be more satisfactory for some people, but I think Drought does explain why Alain won using Flamethrower.

Aegiscalibur

Add Witty Title Here
By the way, why didn't Ash use his super-OP AshGreninja against the Furfrou guy and destroy him in nanoseconds? If he won't budge and you have to fight, at least do it fast. I know Ash isn't the brightest, but come on, this is ridiculous.

dman_dustin

Never use stats for these sort of things. I agree that a Super Effective move might be more satisfactory for some people, but I think Drought does explain why Alain won using Flamethrower.

I use it as a comparative guide in situations LIKE these. I'm just saying Mega Charizard should NOT have been brought down to just ONE flamethrower.

knightwolf09

So confirmed pokemon Alain has on his team Charizard, Metang (probably Metagross now), Blastoise, and Ludicolo.

Master_Tyrell

I use it as a comparative guide in situations LIKE these. I'm just saying Mega Charizard should NOT have been brought down to just ONE flamethrower.

Well, it did get defeated from one Flamethrower, and the explanation is because it was stronger than Trevor's and it also had Sunny Day to boost the power of its move.

Pokemon Fan

Knuckle Trainer
Not really when NO ONE bothers to do welfare checks on the trainer. God forbid Ash be having a seizure/stroke somewhere.

Oh but Dustin, Ash wasn- THAT"S NOT the point, the point is Ash COULD have been in danger. And no one bothered to care about that. It was ENTIRELY unnecessary to add the entirety of that in just to detract from a few minutes of screen time that could've been used to flesh out certain battles.
Welfare checks? This is a world where pre-teens get to travel alone through countries populated by powerful and supernatural creatures. Basically if you can do that and be okay, not to mention be strong enough to get eight badges, they're not going to be all that worried about a trainer's health.

So confirmed pokemon Alain has on his team Charizard, Metang (probably Metagross now), Blastoise, and Ludicolo.
Not confirmed as of yet, as it may be an animation error. It'd be very odd to have identical pokemon with different trainers be featured heavily in a league (even here where we get two Charizards it is because there are two mega evolutions).

Last edited:

knightwolf09

Welfare checks? This is a world where pre-teens get to travel alone through countries populated by powerful and supernatural creatures. Basically if you can do that and be okay, not to mention be strong enough to get eight badges, they're not going to be all that worried about a trainer's health.

Not confirmed as of yet, as it may be an animation error. It'd be very odd to have identical pokemon with different trainers be featured heavily in a league (even here where we get two Charizards it is because there are two mega evolutions).

I highly doubt it's an animation error. Plus it's not that weird for over hundreds of trainers to have the same pokemon.

Janovy

Banned
No argument can deny the fact that the whole Furfrou trainer bit was UNNECESSARY AND POINTLESS.

Why they didn't use the time to actually flesh out the actual League battles is beyond me. Such a ridiculous choice of writing.

Soniman

Break the Limit
No argument can deny the fact that the whole Furfrou trainer bit was UNNECESSARY AND POINTLESS.

Why they didn't use the time to actually flesh out the actual League battles is beyond me. Such a ridiculous choice of writing.

tbh it couldve been a decent pre-league filler but they instead shove it here

p96822

Evolve me please

Mostly they were trying and failing to do the same thing for Ash as they did with Serena

dman_dustin

I highly doubt it's an animation error. Plus it's not that weird for over hundreds of trainers to have the same pokemon.

Given that we saw Charizard SPECIFICALLY take out all of Trevor's Pokemon, and given that Tierno will use Blastoise AND Ludicolo in the very NEXT episode. It stands to reason it is an animation error.

Otherwise the writers would be THAT lazy.

Besides Alain with Charizard and Blastoise is hard for me to believe given the method he GOT Charizard.

nameman

I'm going to go against the grain here and say this was a good episode, even if this wasn't what the majority wanted. It's unfortunately one of those episodes where understanding the Japanese is needed to see why this was a good one. The fact is that this League, unlike past ones, is more story-oriented than the past ones. In past Leagues, it was the battles that were important over everything else. This led to them being relatively isolated events from the rest of the series. But now there are multiple sub-plots coming together: Ash's attempt to start his climb to the top, Sawyer's first go at climbing the mountain. and Alain's desire for strength and power with the parallel to Ash Ketchum almost falling on the same path.

That battle against the punk is going to be important later as a precursor to the Final against Alain. But for now, I'll give this a 7/10 as a solid start.

lemoncatpower

Cynical Optimist
Given that we saw Charizard SPECIFICALLY take out all of Trevor's Pokemon, and given that Tierno will use Blastoise AND Ludicolo in the very NEXT episode. It stands to reason it is an animation error.

Otherwise the writers would be THAT lazy.

Besides Alain with Charizard and Blastoise is hard for me to believe given the method he GOT Charizard.

I'm thinking it was an animation error as well,
especially being that Blastoise and Ludicolo were both grey, so they were knocked out, which will be the case when Tierno has to use Raichu. The other two will have fainted.

No way they'd give Alain a Ludicolo..

LizardonX

Banned
I don't know about that. Would they have set up ash losing twice to it and seeing it so much for it to be like darkrai?

I can see Ash losing the majority of his team weakening it for Greninja to take the kill, then have Alan wreck Greninja with his second mon and win the league.

Akashin

I can see Ash losing the majority of his team weakening it for Greninja to take the kill, then have Alan wreck Greninja with his second mon and win the league.

Alain is too invested in pitting Charizard against Greninja for that. Besides, we already know that Charizard and Greninja are in the same ballpark of strength, so Greninja really doesn't need the help.

Alain's Charizard most probably outclasses all of Ash's Pokemon except Greninja, but it doesn't outclass all of them like Darkrai did.

I'm not here to watch two one shot battles...hope next week is better.

So long as Ash doesn't waste time getting waylaid in hallways again, we should be okay.

Almighty Zard

He has returned.
Did Ash-Greninja seriously need to be used to fight Altaria?

I don't really care about Alain and Trevor's battle, since Trevor's never really been seen as a threat, makes me wonder why he was given a mega, but Tierno wasn't since he's more active when it comes to combat.

The only issue I really have is why didn't Malva or Sycamore respond to Ash Greninja, and for that matter no one comments on Aerodactyl? I guess fossil pokemon ain't special no more.

1rkhachatryan

Call me Robert guys
Can a Japanese speaker tell me what was up with the random Furfrou guy??