• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

A League of His Own! (928)

Lucario At Service

Calm Trainer
No argument can deny the fact that the whole Furfrou trainer bit was UNNECESSARY AND POINTLESS.

Why they didn't use the time to actually flesh out the actual League battles is beyond me. Such a ridiculous choice of writing.

From what i understood, it seems that the "Furfrou trainer after losing asked Ash to carry on the feeling, dreams and sorrow of those who couldn't get into the League, and asked him to not lose".

If its actually as i understood (since my Japanese is not that good), then that's actually quite typical of situation for many Shounen styled story.

Can a Japanese speaker tell me what was up with the random Furfrou guy??

That guy couldn't get the 8 Badge's and take part in the League.

So, he was bitter and wanted to prove (by defeating Ash) that collecting the Badge's doesn't have any relation with being a good trainer capable of taking part in the League.

The reason he most likely chose Ash as his target is because of that interview with Malva.

Last edited:

Pokemon Fan

Knuckle Trainer
and for that matter no one comments on Aerodactyl? I guess fossil pokemon ain't special no more.
It's rare but regular trainers do have fossil pokemon so its not considered too extraordinary. Remember the Armaldo that Ash's Quilava fought in a previous league?

From what i understood, it seems that the "Furfrou trainer after losing asked Ash to carry on the feeling, dreams and sorrow of those who couldn't get into the League, and asked him to not lose".

If its actually as i understood (since my Japanese is not that good), then that's actually quite typical of situation for many Shounen styled story.

That guy couldn't get the 8 Badge's and take part in the League.

So, he was bitter and wanted to prove (by defeating Ash) that collecting the Badge's doesn't have any relation with being a good trainer capable of taking part in the League.

The reason he most likely chose Ash as his target is because of that interview with Malva.
All that is good to know I think, and I like it from a story perspective, but obviously it didn't work that well from a battle perspective due to lack of time in the episode.

Last edited:

UltimateNinja

Praying for the holy relics
Can't really understand why the majority of the episode thinks this was a waste. Yes it could've been better if they would've simply flesh out the battle more rather introducing the Furfrou trainer, but besides the battles, I thought this was a more solid Kalos league introduction in terms of character and their interactions.

Well at least we get two 6vs6 two parter battles. It's probably because they don't want the league to be more than 7-8 episodes long and they need to rush a bit to come to the finales.

Last edited:

DJACK45

I'm surprised people actually expected the X vs Y battle to be more than what was shown in this episode. You show a trainer that already has experience going up against other megas (some from even the E4 and a champion) along with legendaries vs a guy who doesn't even have a passion for it and has lost every battle he's been in. Just because he got a mega doesn't mean much when the gap in their power level was pretty much canyon sized to begin with. And it has been mentioned but given how big the flamethrower was, I'd say it is more than likely the one-shot was due to the combination of Drought and Charizard already being a powerful 'mon.

Greninja one shotting Altaria is to show that it is on the same power scale as Mega Charizard. I mean this pokemon was going toe to toe with The Champions Mega. Anything less than a one shot would be bad writing and it will make Ash's battle against Alain less believable. You can't have a rivals ace performing better than Ash's since it wouldn't justify Ash winning against them. Tbh, this episode reached my expectations. It's a set up episode, nothing more. Could they have scrapped ep 31 and have that be the setup, sure, was the furfrou battle necessary, no, but in all honesty, the episode seeming short is because the league is meant to be a series of one shots except against certain trainers. It makes the league seem boring because Ash has never been this good before. Someone aboved mentioned it but Ash has finally surpassed the fodder stage of trainers. He is a a part of the small percentage of trainers that actually has a chance of standing up to an E4. Just because everyone has badges doesn't mean they are all the same in skill and strength as was shown in Paul vs Barry, Tobias vs Ash, and Virgil vs Cameron.

Also I just don't see how the league seems rushed. It will still be 7 episodes if not 6. It just seems that way because Ash has never been past Top 4. In order to make the 2 month episode limit and make enough room for the Top 2 battle, they simply are montaging the first battles to highlight and make time for the more important ones. I mean why spend time and energy animating battles of trainers we all know he will win against and he has no connections to?

andrewscott48209

I'm surprised people actually expected the X vs Y battle to be more than what was shown in this episode. You show a trainer that already has experience going up against other megas (some from even the E4 and a champion) along with legendaries vs a guy who doesn't even have a passion for it and has lost every battle he's been in. Just because he got a mega doesn't mean much when the gap in their power level was pretty much canyon sized to begin with. And it has been mentioned but given how big the flamethrower was, I'd say it is more than likely the one-shot was due to the combination of Drought and Charizard already being a powerful 'mon.

Greninja one shotting Altaria is to show that it is on the same power scale as Mega Charizard. I mean this pokemon was going toe to toe with The Champions Mega. Anything less than a one shot would be bad writing and it will make Ash's battle against Alain less believable. You can't have a rivals ace performing better than Ash's since it wouldn't justify Ash winning against them. Tbh, this episode reached my expectations. It's a set up episode, nothing more. Could they have scrapped ep 31 and have that be the setup, sure, was the furfrou battle necessary, no, but in all honesty, the episode seeming short is because the league is meant to be a series of one shots except against certain trainers. It makes the league seem boring because Ash has never been this good before. Someone aboved mentioned it but Ash has finally surpassed the fodder stage of trainers. He is a a part of the small percentage of trainers that actually has a chance of standing up to an E4. Just because everyone has badges doesn't mean they are all the same in skill and strength as was shown in Paul vs Barry, Tobias vs Ash, and Virgil vs Cameron.

Also I just don't see how the league seems rushed. It will still be 7 episodes if not 6. It just seems that way because Ash has never been past Top 4. In order to make the 2 month episode limit and make enough room for the Top 2 battle, they simply are montaging the first battles to highlight and make time for the more important ones. I mean why spend time and energy animating battles of trainers we all know he will win against and he has no connections to?

True. This is much better than the Unova League debut where Ash struggled heavily against Trip, only to win at the last minute. Here it shows how much Ash has improved, when it shows Ash Curb stomping Tomo's Altaria with one hit. And nice dodging of the Draco Meteor while transforming. Excellent use of the water veil too.

DatsRight

tbh it couldve been a decent pre-league filler but they instead shove it here

Seems like a sneaky way of wearing out Ash's Pokemon between matches so they have an excuse for him losing (like TR wearing them out in the Kanto league). The fact TR is here and appears to be planning something suggests this is going to happen again (a neat call back to their reporter antics in earlier regions though).

Everlasting

Everything stays.
The Blastoise and Ludicolo is very obviously an animation error. It's not even worth debating.

A bit late to the party, as I had to wait before watching the episode. While I didn't particularily hate the episode, it was nothing wonderful and I entirely understand other devoted watchers' disappointment. The battle between Alain and Trevor was supposedly the main focus of the episode, yet it felt very rushed. Even if you wanted to demonstrate Alain's Charizard's strength by one-shotting everything on sight, at least make Florges and Aerodactyl dodge attacks/counter on screen. *sigh*

This whole "I don't have all badges required" drama nonsense was pointless. As pointed before, it would've made a wonderful pre-League filler (honestly did not enjoy the Ingenuity Festival episode). It's an interesting thing to talk about in this anime: how not everyone gets to meet the League tournament's requirements. But don't show it while we're doing important battles...

Thank god for Serena interrupting Ash when he was about to face Takeru for the first time. I'm glad she brought him back to reason and told him they would be late for registrations if he wasted time. She's such a responsible, level-headed character, I love it. She balances Ash's personality out perfectly. And I am even happier that she held his hand. <3

Greninja's Water Shuriken taking down Altaria in one hit is beyond logic. Even boosted by Greninja's synchro, this resisted move should in no way take out a bulky Dragon-type Pokémon such as Altaria in one hit. I suppose they REALLY needed to highlight Greninja's exceeding strength, although we, as viewers, already caught that.

Overall, a very disappointing episode, and while screentime was terribly attributed, I'd still take this episode over Ingenuity Festival or Quilladin in love episodes.
6/10.

I love the fact that Team Rocket has not lost their interest in the twerp's League battles. It's a nice touch and something I absolutely adored in the Sinnoh League Conference. Can't wait to see their faces once Ash battles Alain.

Last edited:

SoundVoltex

Ash-Greninja's power is solidified. One shotted a type resistant Altaria, with high sp.def. This episode was kind of boring. Here's top hoping that the full battles will be a lot better....

Illusio

No words, only rage
I'm really getting tired of the 'at least it's not as bad as Unova's' excuse. Just because that league was bad doesn't mean anything that this league in particular does isn't bad on its own nor does it dismiss its own set of flaws. You can still have two terribly handled leagues without one being as bad as the other, they're just different levels of bad.

Almighty Zard

He has returned.
technically Water Shuriken is physical based...

and it beat a mega abomasnow a couple episodes back pretty easily, you think a normal Altaria stands a chance?

nameman

I'm really getting tired of the 'at least it's not as bad as Unova's' excuse. Just because that league was bad doesn't mean anything that this league in particular does isn't bad on its own nor does it dismiss its own set of flaws. You can still have two terribly handled leagues without one being as bad as the other, they're just different levels of bad.

Except this isn't being handled like past Leagues. Sure the battles will be there, but this is a more story-based League. This Episode set the tone for that. That it's different from what we're used to doesn't mean it's bad. Take a wait and see approach before declaring something terrible.

Markerz

http://i.imgur.com/voyWVyB.jpg

That look when you know you're about to get one-shot.

They packed a lot of things into one episode. That's one of the problems having 20~ minutes, but I understand they're trying to show the caliber of Ash & Alain. There's more of the Kalos League coming up, so we'll see if they slow it down from then on.

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
Worst. League. Ever.
I knew poor Trevor would get slaughtered. At least Tierno's not being cannon fodder for him too. Alain shouldn't even be here, his goal isn't even the same as the others competing. He didn't even know what the league was a few episodes ago -_-

Only enjoyable part of this was Malva and the TRio. Everything else sucked, if Ash doesn't beat Alain at the end then I definitely prefer B/W's league.

Illusio

No words, only rage
Except this isn't being handled like past Leagues. Sure the battles will be there, but this is a more story-based League. This Episode set the tone for that. That it's different from what we're used to doesn't mean it's bad. Take a wait and see approach before declaring something terrible.

It being different doesn't make it bad, it having bad pacing among other issues is more then enough of a reason to call it bad.

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
We can look at that red punk guy with a random Furfrou as a testament of how bad the league format is. If you lack enough badges by the time the league starts, you have to wait a long(?) time to reenter the league again.

That is just evil in itself. At least the games give us the chance to challenge the E4 any time we want, but these anime leagues are ruthless.

I mean, seriously, 64 trainers. How is it that we don't have an odd number? Are you screwed if you're an odd one out and can't be possibly matched up with someone else?

This world of smiles and bloodless beings is a truly terrifying world to live in...

...Oh, wait, was I supposed to care about Trevor's unfortunate unpopular Mega Evolution.

Last edited:

nameman

It being different doesn't make it bad, it having bad pacing among other issues is more then enough of a reason to call it bad.

One episode. Out of at least six. Think about that a bit. This is just one episode going through the rounds that aren't that important to the STORY. This isn't going to be an action-based League with thin story, but a story based arc like how XY/XYZ has been this entire time with its arcs. This is nothing new to this Generation. That they're doing this is ballsy in and of itself. Don't accuse the entire League of being rushed when the early rounds aren't particularly important for the story. The story here is Ash vs. Sawyer and Ash vs. Alain. This is why these three characters are getting the focus.

Lucario At Service

Calm Trainer
We can look at that red punk guy with a random Furfrou as a testament of how bad the league format is. If you lack enough badges by the time the league starts, you have to wait a long(?) time to reenter the league again.

That is just evil in itself. At least the games give us the chance to challenge the E4 any time we want, but these anime leagues are ruthless.

I mean, seriously, 64 trainers. How is it that we don't have an odd number? Are you screwed if you're an odd one out and can't be possibly matched up with someone else?

But isn't it similar in Real Life Sporting Events as well.

There are qualifiers, which if the Team or Player loses, he/she won't get the chance to enter the major Event for that particular sporting Event for that year/time, and can only try for the next time.

And in considering the Real Life situation, the entry into the Pokemon League of a Region is more easy.
Since you are allowed to challenge Gym's multiple times without any restriction, and been given quite some time to work on the 8 Badges.

The only catch, you have to get 8 badges by the time the League start and register yourself on time.

Last edited:

Miri-chan

I feel disappointed since I was pretty hyped to see the League because the series has done well in the build-up so far. I did expect it being rushed but didnt expect....this rush. They should have use 1 episode for the League opening and for Ash's rushed battle + the red hair guy's battle instead of that random filler about Citron. So that this ep can focus on Alain vs Trova battle. Alain is one the main rivals so he should at least gets a full battle.

I do like the aspect this ep portray about the disappointment when you can not get enough badges to participate though.

Instead of fighting random people like this, they can make some old trainers appear...really...like the ninja kid...maybe...

Next ep looks like another rushed one. And at this point I dont really expect Alain vs Satoshi gonna be in full anymore.

I understand the opinion that they try to make this League feels different, and this is just for the plot later, but we spend 3 years to watch Satoshi gathers badges to have such rushed League? It is not worth it. I would care about the League more than the Flare plot, really.

Btw, Alain confirmed going to the League for the Mega energy, he lets it slip when Satoshi talks to him. But it also looks like he wants to fight Satoshi too, as he literally says "yeah, I come to fight you".

The professor looks sad when seeing him...huhh. I would want a plot episode with them talking about themselves before their battle.

Illusio

No words, only rage
One episode. Out of at least six. Think about that a bit. This is just one episode going through the rounds that aren't that important to the STORY. This isn't going to be an action-based League with thin story, but a story based arc like how XY/XYZ has been this entire time with its arcs. This is nothing new to this Generation. That they're doing this is ballsy in and of itself. Don't accuse the entire League of being rushed when the early rounds aren't particularly important for the story. The story here is Ash vs. Sawyer and Ash vs. Alain. This is why these three characters are getting the focus.

And I'm only talking about this one episode, I never said anything about future episodes. Regardless of this episode being 'set-up', that doesn't change the fact that it was poorly done set-up. They could've had better pacing and battles, but they poorly distributed the resources and it shows. That's why I'm calling this episode bad, if the rest of the league is better, then that's good, but it will not change how poor this episode is.

Last edited: