• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

A Leash of Foxes

5221A

Oh, and start breaking his fingers if he doesn't comply.
A bit too casual, don't you think :p

Sorry for not replying in a while, was away for a chess tournament.

Just do what Deadly said and nothing should go wrong... I think. Oh, almost forgot, please be gentle with any torture scenes, I still feel light-headed because of GTA 5 xD

teamVASIMR

Plasma Rocket
Eh, here it is...
1. "Now that you mention it, where's Beth?"
2. Don't reveal anything unless you absolutely have to. Just saying because other posters' paranoia had paid off in the past.
3. (This item is a vote against torture)
4. (Were my reasons plausible enough?)

Sorry if it is interfering with the plan, it seems to me there is something the protagonist is meant to do but that goal is not known.

Last edited:

Cutlerine

Gone. Not coming back.
So just tell him your memory is a little foggy, and find out from him what exactly happened. Also, who's Beth?

Beth. You frown. Who is that?

Grant clicks his tongue.

“You wouldn't know,” he said. “She was Firetouched. The one who stopped you when you were killing the rest of us.”

You admit that you have some difficulty remembering that, and hope he puts it down to a head injury. Lily looks like she is about to say something about your amnesia there – but you shoot her a look, and she keeps quiet.

“Not surprised. Her hand was on fire at the time.”

The knotty mass of scar tissue on your cheek starts tingling, and you raise your finger to it unconsciously. Grant sees this, and nods.

“Yes. That's where she hit you. Remember now? We found where you were staying, asked for the gun. You refused. We tried to make you give it to us. Beth intervened. You remember it, right?”

You do not, but you nod. Grant's face doesn't move. It's impossible to know if he believes you or not.

Firetouched, you say. What is that?

“Oh. That's our term. For those touched by Zavarat and … elevated. It's her main advantage over Dirge. She can graft particles of her fire onto others – give them a tiny dose of her own powers. You can tell them by the eyes.”

Eyes. Shiny eyes, you think – the eyes of Zavarat, of Dirge, of …

Adam?

Grant nods.

“You've met him? Yes, Adam's Firetouched.” He glances at Lily nervously. “Look, can we get this over with? I know why you're here―”

“Answer the questions,” Lily says. “I don't know what any of this is. But it sounds like they're mixed up in whatever this is. That gives them the right to know.”

You almost laugh. Lily and her wasteland raiders' code of honour! Evidently Grant doesn't care enough about hiding this particular information to risk her wrath, however, because he turns back to you.

“I guess … I guess you were wondering why we wanted the gun. Is that it?”

You tell him that you know that. It was for Stone, through Dirge. He was holding (and this part is a gamble, you must admit) part of Zavarat hostage.

Grant looks surprised.

“Yes. How did you―?”

You've been to Scourston. You broke into Stone's house and liberated both the gun and the artefact containing the fragment of Zavarat.

His eyes widen.

“So she's―?”

Yes. You returned it to her. And, you go on, relieved to finally be able to ask the question, what is she, exactly?

Grant is silent.

“Almost on the same side, aren't we?” he remarks, after a few moments. “You hate Dirge. I hate Dirge. You helped Zavarat. I serve Zavarat.”

You are not so sure that you're willing to remain on Zavarat's side, but this is not information that you choose to share with him. Instead, you nod cautiously.

There is another short pause, and then Grant finally speaks.

“They came out of the south,” he says. “About thirty years ago. Dirge first, and then Zavarat after him. Suppose we'd call them Pokémon, or something like it – part Ghost, part Fire, maybe, only that's not quite right, because there's sky and wind mixed up in there too. The southerners say they're spirits of fire and air – djinn, I think, that's their word for it. They fought in the south and Dirge lost; he fled north, took human shape, started to work his way up through the militia ranks till he got an audience with Stone. After that, he became the right-hand man. Tell the truth, I don't know that Stone is really in charge of anything but his rocks and his money any more. The army is all Dirge's.”

“Wait a moment,” interrupts Lily. “So Dirge – Elias Dirge – he isn't human?”

Grant shakes his head.

“Demon,” he says. “Or djinn or whatever the hell you want to call it. Either way, he's a refugee from the south after weaker creatures to rule than others of his kind.”

Djinni, you say. The singular is djinni.

Grant looks at you, surprised.

“You've heard of them?”

You blink. You have no idea how you knew that. Nor do you know why it is that the idea of djinn in the first place is not surprising to you, although it may have something to do with the fires you witnessed atop Zavarat's base of operations. You are not sure that you have believed that Zavarat was really human since. As for Dirge – well, Dirge has always come across as superhuman. It almost makes more sense to find out that he actually isn't human at all.

Just carry on with the story, you tell him.

“Oh. Er, all right …” Grant gives you an odd look, but obeys. “Zavarat came looking for him when she heard he survived. She found him and his army, happily conquering away like no tomorrow, and decided she wanted an army of her own.”

“So these – these demons or jeenies or whatever, they're just playing chess with the frontier,” says Lily. “Why? What does anyone get out of that? Why the hell would you follow a plan like that?”

Grant shrugs.

“Money. Power. You take your pick. And anyway, not all of us know. I do. Verne does. None of the men you killed did. They just thought we were a crime syndicate.”

You nod slowly. It all makes sense. Sealing off part of Zavarat's fire – presumably with technology developed by Stone's scientists – put the djinn's lethal game on hold. But you have blundered into it, on the trail of a different mystery, and Zavarat took hold of that opportunity as soon as it presented itself.

And yet, it seems to you that there must be more of a connection than that. Something that you have overlooked.

Do they have any link with the foxes, you ask – but Grant frowns.

“No,” he says. “Nothing to do with them. Why?”

"Now that you mention it, where's Beth?"

Aware that you have made a mistake there and eager to change the subject, you ask where this Beth is. If she was still around, surely there would have been no need to hire Lily.

“Verne and I escaped Tarnasshe,” replies Grant. “She didn't. Being Firetouched doesn't make you immortal. Doesn't – doesn't make you one of them.”

It sounds like the memory is still raw.

“Look,” says Grant, the colour rising in his face, “are you going to get to the point or not?”

“I told you,” begins Lily, but you interrupt.

It's all right, you say. You're done.

Besides, ask any more and you're going to give yourself away. You already came close to that once, when you asked about the foxes. Best not to be too bold.

“Sure? All right.” Lily's voice is business-like; djinn and power games seem to have passed from her thought. “Well, you know why I'm here. I want my money.”

“You didn't kill them, though,” points out Grant. “Broke our contract.”

You say that you're planning to leave town as soon as you can anyway, but Grant doesn't seem to believe you.

“Like I said. Know better than to trust you, don't I?”

You sigh, and shake your head, and ask him if he will please reconsider, because in a town this small it really wouldn't be hard to find Verne.

Grant chokes on the breath he's inhaling.

“You – you wouldn't be able to find him,” he says, with desperate conviction. “We're well-hidden―”

Would Grant like to risk it?

There is a long, pregnant silence. Something shrieks, out in the desert, and the wind sighs in the streets.

“God damn it,” he says, his voice thin and cracked and angry all at once. “God damn it.”

You raise your eyebrows and wait.

“It's under the wrapping on the spit,” he tells you. “All we kept, and all we've borrowed.” He glares at you. “God damn it.”

“Thanks,” says Lily, reaching out and twisting his arm so that it pops painfully behind his back. “Now―”

“Ah! What―?”

“―then,” she continues, “we just need you to come with us and confirm that it really is there. Then you can go.”

“Let―”

“Be quiet. Or I can ask our mutual friend here to find Verne.”

Grant falls silent, and looking over his head Lily smiles her thanks at you. You smile back, but it is mechanical. Your mind is still occupied with the way Lily is able to shut off her shock and disbelief at the story of the djinn so quickly and so totally. Where did she learn to do that? Or has she too had prior experience of the supernatural?

These are the thoughts that pass through your head as you follow Lily and Grant down the darkened street towards the centre of town. The sight of the spit, shrouded and ominous as it is, brings you back to reality, but the spell does not last; Lily does not seem to share in the superstitions, and, passing care of Grant over to you, she tears the sacking off the monument without ceremony. You can't make out its structure in the gloom, but you can see that at its base are piled several soft dark objects that clink when she picks them up.

“Keep him there a moment,” she tells you, opening up one of the objects – bags, you suppose. Silver flashes in the moonlight from its mouth.

“It's about eight hundred dollars, all told,” Grant calls, but she does not cease examining the money until she has counted out the contents of each of the bags in full.

“Seven hundred and eighty-nine dollars, twelve centimes,” she concludes. “I need five hundred and fifty.” She takes away several of the bags and puts the rest back, pulling the sacking over them. “Right. Pleasure doing business with you. And, as for you …”

She takes your gun from her waist and holds it out to you, handle first. Releasing Grant, you take it – perhaps a little faster than you should have – and for a moment wait for her to give you back the sword. Then you remember that you stole it from her in the first place, in a manner of speaking, and that you probably can't expect her to return it.

teamVASIMR

Plasma Rocket
Whoa whoa whoa whoa

Now that was... interesting, to say the least.

On Dirge vs Zavarat, looks like Dirge previously held the advantage, now they seem about even.
Which is reasonably good, seeing as they'll probably keep each other in check for the time being.
Some speculation:
-They'll destroy each other (probably lots of collateral damage)
-or one will rise up and become the new overlord
-or they'll be embroiled in low-level conflict that gets drawn out long enough for the rest of the world to get organized and suppress them (I personally like this one the best)

But how would our nameless protagonist fit in all this?
Uh. What do we do now? I have no idea.
Me either. Can we go help Charlie now?

Hooray for exposition!

Okay, we said that we were moving on. Let's do that (We don't really want to be caught here, it wouldn't end well.). Get some supplies, talk to Lily about what she's doing, and get ready to leave.

Me either. Can we go help Charlie now?

Hmm. The protagonist knows it's there (Somehow.) Why should we go help it? One, it's starving and possibly hurt. Alleviating these problems would make it less likely to eat/hurt you, especially as you've already freed it. (Sort of like Adrocles and the lion)

Two, who on earth would expect you to be still flying around on it? The way that Stone's (Or Dirge's) army was parading it around indicates that the foxes don't have many of them, and capturing them is of great difficulty. Thus, both sides will have a hard time catching you. Riding a Charizard properly also would eat up much larger amounts of distance than merely walking, meaning that conservation of supplies is easier for you.

So get some food, and head up there. Let's see if this works.

Cutlerine

Gone. Not coming back.
Get some supplies, talk to Lily about what she's doing, and get ready to leave.

Can we go help Charlie now?

Lily turns her attention to Grant.

“I think we're done here,” she says. “Pleasure doing business with you.”

He glares at her mutinously.

“I'll take that as a yes.” She motions to you. “Come on. Time for us to move on.”

You follow her down the street, uncertain of where you are going. Grant's gaze is almost palpable on the back of your neck, but you can't face looking back. It would be best for both him and you if you just disappear, and never come back.

“Where are you going from here?” asks Lily, when you are out of earshot.

You consider this. When your earlier delirium faded and the feeling of self-dissolution left you, you found you knew things – things you did not know before. Perhaps they were placed into your head by the three-eyed figure, or by the bird, which after all has spoken to you before; indeed, you can't think of any other way you could have learned them. You know that one of Zavarat's bright-eyed men is coming here on the mail-coach. You know that the bird is looking east. You know that Stone's men have begun their assault on Zavarat's operation.

And you know that the Charizard has failed to reach the mountains.

West, you tell her. You are travelling west, to a spot out in the hills.

She frowns, but it passes quickly.

“I suppose it's not for me to ask why,” she says. “Do you have a horse?”

You shake your head.

“Want a ride?” You give her a look, but she seems sincere. “It's on my way. And we're even now. So.”

She doesn't have to finish it. You know what she means: her internal sense of wasteland justice has been satisfied, and in her eyes there's nothing left between you but history. And out here, a little history can go a long way.

You have to get some things first, you explain. You're going to need meat. A lot of it.

Lily hesitates.

“How much is a lot?” she asks.

You think about that for a moment, and in the end tell her that you're probably going to need a cow or two.

“What? Oh. Christ. You're serious.” Lily chews her lip for a moment. “What are you planning do with all that?”

The Charizard you rode out here is starving out in the hills, you answer. It could really use a good meal.

Lily stops dead and stares at you.

“The hell?”

You raise your eyebrows mildly, as if to ask what the matter is.

Lily blinks.

“You … Jesus Christ, I actually believe you. Of all the people on the frontier, it would be you. Wouldn't it?” She sighs. “Right. In that case …”

She takes one of the bags of coins and hands it over. You look at her, surprised, but she shakes her head.

“I only needed five hundred,” she explains. “The fifty was profit. But riding a Charizard … that's a venture I can get behind.”

Is she sure?

“I'm sure.” She shakes her head again. “And I thought I had a good horse. Well, now I have to give you a ride, anyway. I've got to see this for myself.”

Since she's being so helpful, you feel confident in telling her that you also need a saddle for it, because last time you got quite badly burned on its back.

“Of course,” she says. “Jesus Christ. Of course you did.” She scratches her head. “All right. I suppose we can see if there's any torthide around. Not now, though. We'll have to wait until morning.” She twists her mouth to one side, thoughtfully. “Pity. I wanted to move on as soon as possible.”

You agree, and privately hope that the Charizard can hang on that long. Reptiles can go long periods without food, you've heard, but you suspect that reptiles that fly and breathe fire can endure substantially less deprivation than most.

“Meet you at the market at eight,” Lily says. “Is that all right with you?”

You nod.

“Right.” She sighs. “You're bizarre, you know that?”

You nod again, this time with a hint of a smile, and she smiles herself.

“Yes … well. Goodnight. And lock your door this time.”

You assure her that you will, and make your way back to Sam's saloon. Sleep is harder to come by now, without that strange fluid madness to take hold of you, but you manage, and wake early. Leaving before seven – it will mean a wait, but you don't want to be in a predictable place when the mail-coach arrives, just in case the shiny-eyed man it carries is here to sort out Grant and Verne's affairs – you find out the way to the market from a child playing in the street, and take your time getting there. It is half past seven when you do, and while some stallholders are still setting up, there are others who are already preparing to do business; the whole thing is much less impressive than the vast colonnades and plazas of Scourston, but there's something of the same vitality here – the smell and noise of the animals, whickering and bleating and growling after the long walk here from the outlying farmsteads; the spit and crackle of cooking oil as their herders share long-awaited breakfasts; the swish of calico as the town traders put up their canopies. Nothing here is polished, particularly. Anyone shopping for clothes or guns is better off making the rounds of the town's shops. But this is where the produce of the farms first flows into the urban machinery that keeps the East together – in markets like this, in towns like this across the wasteland, the raw materials of the wasteland are absorbed by the root-tips of the civilisation budding in Scourston.

What was it that you said before? Life out of a barren womb, that was it – the magic of the desert. But it isn't all that barren, not really. Not out here at least.

You take a walk between the lines of stallholders. There are a few people with cows to sell, but they seem to be having breakfast at the moment and don't look open to offers right now. But the clinking of the bag on your hip reminds you that you have more than enough money to buy the animal you're after and material to use as a saddle – and if there's anything else you want, now would be the time to get it; you don't suppose there will be many shops out in the no man's land between here and the fox cities.

teamVASIMR

Plasma Rocket
Very nice. :) Maybe a little too nice, it isn't paranoia if they're really out to get you...

First, sticking some murkrow feathers in your cap didn't exactly protect your brain from becoming macaroni. So I'd say to get some proper dark-type headgear. But then it might block out the bird or whatever it is that's been giving some rather helpful hints. So maybe not.

Anyway I'll propose adding the following items to the shopping list:
-AMMO
-MEDKIT
-SANDVICH

OOC: Do your charizards drink water?[/OOC???] If so you might need more/bigger canteen(s).

Ugliduck99

Wobbufet fan
You might want to get something to protect you from fire in case Charlie ain't happy to see us

Anyway I'll propose adding the following items to the shopping list:
-AMMO
-MEDKIT
-SANDVICH

This isn't TF2.

That said, I approve of the sentiment. Ammunition, medical supplies (In addition to the burn cream we already have) and food are the most important things.

Cutlerine

Gone. Not coming back.
Ammunition, medical supplies and food are the most important things.

So I'd say to get some proper dark-type headgear. But then it might block out the bird or whatever it is that's been giving some rather helpful hints. So maybe not.

You might want to get something to protect you from fire in case Charlie ain't happy to see us.

You suppose you'll need ammunition and a first aid kit, which is unlikely be sold in a market like this, and food, which will. False-cactus root is about the only really plentiful foodstuff in the desert that can be kept indefinitely, especially pickled or dried, and you should be able to find some. Most of the crop traders here are bringing wheat from the farms on the north side of the hills – the tail ends of the storms from the north slopes of the Argent Peaks often blow over there, and they get just enough water to grow a few conventional crops – but a little searching turns up a few with bundles of roots for sale. You buy two weeks' worth, which is about as much as you can carry without slowing yourself down too much, and slip out of the market onto a commercial street nearby, where you pick up a pack to put the roots in and refill your canteen at a public trough. When it runs out, you'll have to find a stream or oasis, or some of the plump rainbutt cacti that grow in this northerly part of the desert; you won't be able to carry more.

While in the supply shop, you notice a selection of hats, and wonder if you ought to get something Dark, to protect against psychic attack. But the cap with the Umbreon-skin lining is somewhat out of your price range, and anyway, you tell yourself, you would not want to miss out on anything else the bird has to tell you. You purchase a more conventional hat, rather like your last, and leave in search of a first aid kit and more ammunition – you still have plenty of normal and needle bullets, but your supply of houndteeth is getting low.

These things found, you return to the market and find Lily, who has arrived and in fact has already bought a patchworked sheet of black leather: torthide, the cured skin of the Sand Wartortle that sleep in stasis beneath the earth in dry rivers, waiting for rain.

“I don't know how much you need,” she says, as you give her the money for it. “But this is about enough to lie down on, and there's some rope with it, to hold it in place.”

If thrown over you, you note, it would also provide about six seconds of safe shelter should the Charizard object to your return. Given its poor health, this doesn't seem likely – but you would rather be safe than incinerated.

The next item on your list is a cow, which you leave to Lily. She has a remarkable aptitude for haggling, part of which derives from her height, breadth and arsenal, and you actually have a few dollars left over once she has secured the deal. The herdsman complains loudly that he's cheating himself, but makes no objection when Lily loops a cord around the cow's neck and leads it out of the pen.

“Now we get out of here,” she says, handing the cord to you. “If you go to the gate, I'll meet you there in a few minutes. I've got to get Gryngolet from the stable.”

With that, she leaves you alone with your latest acquisition. The cow blinks placidly at you with limpid eyes, and waves its tail lazily.

Come on, you tell it, and tug on the rope. It follows at a faster pace than you expected, easily keeping pace, and seems to intuit which way you want to turn when you reach intersections. It would be easy to attribute some intelligence to it, and to start treating it like a pet. This is a temptation that you very consciously choose to resist.

You don't have to wait long at the gate before Lily arrives; her horse is even bigger than you remember, and glares at you with such violent hatred that you are certain he remembers you.
“Damn,” says Lily. “I was going to give you a ride, but that was before you told me about the cow.” She takes one hand from the reins and scratches her head. You take an instinctive step back, in case Gryngolet takes advantage of his new freedom of movement to start biting. “I guess I'll ride slowly. I'd like to see the Charizard, anyway.”

That's fine by you, and you say as much to her. Soon, you are travelling through the desert again, this time in the relative heat of the morning. Your feet settle back into a walking rhythm, that blue sky glare peeps around the edges of your hat brim, and around you a faint wind stirs the scrubby grass; it's as familiar as if you never entered town at all. The only thing different is the steady clop of Gryngolet's horseshoes, and the plodding of the cow.

Curious, and wanting to pass some time, you ask Lily why she accepted the news about the djinn so quickly.

“The what?” Her brows knit in confusion. “What's this?”

You are about to answer when her face clears and she turns her gaze forwards again, as if you had never said anything at all. Now it's your turn to be confused. You ask her again about the djinni, with the same results – and again, after which you finally realise what's happening: for some reason, Lily can't retain the information. It's like when you try to recall your gender or your name, you think. The knowledge just slides away from you the moment your concentration wavers.

But why should this information affect Lily this way? Is it like this for everyone? And, if it is, why is it not like that for you?

There is no one to ask about that, and even if there were, you aren't sure you'd receive any satisfactory answers. Filing the questions away for later, you fall silent and keep walking.

An hour or two into the walk, the cow begins to flag, tugging at the cord and lowing plaintively. Gryngolet, for his part, has the opposite problem: forced to stay at a walk, he has too much pent-up energy, and wants nothing more than to break loose and run. Neither you nor Lily want to stop, however, and both beasts continue unsatisfied.

However, there isn't much further to go. After struggling for fifteen minutes to get the cow up a gentle slope, you crest a hill and see a smaller hill of orange scales up ahead, behind a low rise. It has its back to you, and looks distinctly unimpressive from this angle – but you and Lily both know it for a Charizard. Thankfully, the cow does not, or you suspect it would be trying to run away.

“So that's it,” says Lily, unable to take her eyes from the dragon. “A Charizard.” She makes a noise somewhere between an exhalation and a laugh. “Christ. You know, I almost doubted it. But of course, you really would …” She shakes her head. “Come on. Let's get the cow down there before it realises where it's heading.”

You agree, and press on. The cow is quite happy travelling down the other side of the hill, but at the bottom, as you start to circle the rise that lies between you and the Charizard, the wind changes and blows a hot, metallic smell straight into your faces. You and Lily cough, Gryngolet whinnies – and the cow, bellowing loudly, tears the cord from your hand and turns to flee.

Last edited:

teamVASIMR

Plasma Rocket
1. You're nearly out of ammo, what kind of frontier market doesn't have ammo... oh well
2. Lily's the one with the horse
3. ???
4. Roping time!!!

It would be easy to attribute some intelligence to it, and to start treating it like a pet. This is a temptation that you very consciously choose to resist.
LOL. Would our deadly viper assassinating protagonist be a vegan? (not that there's anything wrong with that)

for some reason, Lily can't retain the information. It's like when you try to recall your gender or your name, you think. The knowledge just slides away from you the moment your concentration wavers.

But why should this information affect Lily this way? Is it like this for everyone? And, if it is, why is it not like that for you?

There is no one to ask about that, and even if there were, you aren't sure you'd receive any satisfactory answers. Filing the questions away for later, you fall silent and keep walking.
Huh. You'll have to ask her about that sometime. See if she's at least aware of her condition.

META: Lily - "Selective anterograde amnesia"
Nameless - "Global retrograde amnesia but selective anterograde amnesia"

1. You're nearly out of ammo, what kind of frontier market doesn't have ammo... oh well

Uuum...?

Story said:
and leave in search of a first aid kit and more ammunition – you still have plenty of normal and needle bullets, but your supply of houndteeth is getting low.
And then it mentions "these things found", so we're back up to stock.

As for the cow... Chase it. Lily has her horse, so get her to cut it off. After that, shoot it or kill it cleanly. It's kinder than letting the 'zard savage it, even if we're going to feed it anyway.

Lily's inability to remember information can be dealt with later, when there is not imminent Charizard.

teamVASIMR

Plasma Rocket
Looks like Cutlerine edited in the buying of ammo after I pointed it out.

Still, shooting a cow from behind won't stop it, it'll run much farther before it succumbs, and then you'll have to deal with cutting it into small enough pieces to carry, and removing the bullet(s) before it's fit to eat (don't want to give Charlie lead poisoning)... you'd have to shoot it in the head

Can't use your specialty bullets on it...
-Hounteeth contain white phosphorus, which is extremely toxic
-Needle sounds like something poison-type

I'd still like to see Lily rope the cow if possible. Cmon, even a 5 year old can do it!
[video=youtube;MFo28OeM7qA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MFo28OeM7qA[/video]

...sort of...

5221A

Well there are four things that can stop the cow right now:
-Your gun
-Your fists
-The walking volcano
-Lilly
The only one I see being a good idea is Lilly, mostly because tackling a cow, well catching up to it, is pretty hard... and stupid. Shooting it from behind won't help, and right now I don't think the Charzard is in a mood to chase a runaway cow. Lassoing is pretty easy if I do say so myself, a bit of training is needed though.

If you don't have a rope I vote on keeping and naming her Bessie :p

Last edited:

teamVASIMR

Plasma Rocket
Hey guys I just thought of something -- what if Charlie's a vegetarian?
It could be one reason why he didn't eat your face while you were knocked out...

If you don't have a rope I vote on keeping and naming her Bessie :p
That's a strange way of spelling Margot

Cutlerine

Gone. Not coming back.
I'd still like to see Lily rope the cow if possible.

The only way of catching the cow I see being a good idea is Lilly, mostly because tackling a cow, well catching up to it, is pretty hard... and stupid. Shooting it from behind won't help, and right now I don't think the Charzard is in a mood to chase a runaway cow.

Hips bucking, the cow runs off to the south; you call to Lily, but she is already in motion: seconds later, Gryngolet is in front of the cow, rearing and kicking. It turns again, lowing in dismay, and hesitates for a moment, uncertain of where to run – and in that moment, you seize the opportunity, and the rope. A strong yank on the cord pulls its head back towards you, and a bellow of pain and fear from its mouth. Behind it, Lily mutters something to Gryngolet, and without hesitation he leans forward and bites down hard on the cow's tail.

Perhaps the cow is confused now and has lost track of where the Charizard is. Perhaps it is simply more afraid of the actual biting horse than the hidden, inert Charizard. Either way, the whites of its rolling eyes clearly visible, the cow moves – and follows you, straight around the edge of the hill.

The Charizard lies in a great heap of leather and plates; its head is turned away from you, but swings around abruptly at its approach, the fox talismans attached to its hide rattling with the ringing click of old bones. For a moment, its acid yellow eyes squint at you uncomprehendingly – and then they move abruptly over to the cow, and the poor beast freezes in its tracks, stuck like a rabbit caught in the gaze of a snake.

After that, shoot it or kill it cleanly. It's kinder than letting the 'zard savage it, even if we're going to feed it anyway.

Quietly, quickly, you and Lily move aside―

The Charizard strikes.

You had planned to put the cow down cleanly before the dragon took it. But you never had the chance; starving and desperate, it has closed its jaws around the cow's head before you could so much as raise your gun. The cow itself does not so much as cry out. As quickly as it struck, the Charizard pulls back, and its now headless victim collapses into the dust.

There is less blood than you expected. The Charizard has done this before.

You retreat a little way up the hill to let it eat. Lily goes a little further – Gryngolet is battle-hardened and can stand blood, but is nervous about watching a predator of this size eating. The Charizard itself is quick but methodical: it splits open the cow at the sternum and prises it in half with its foreclaws, eats the offal first and then works its way up the legs and down the body to the tail. Nothing is wasted; it even eats the bones, crunching them into flakes between its rear teeth. Anything that cannot be digested, you assume, is fuel for its flames.

“There's something you don't see every day,” says Lily, joining you. “How do you even catch one of those?”

You shrug. You have no idea, you tell her. It's stolen.

“And how, pray tell, do you steal a Charizard?”

Well, in your experience, you just let it out of its cage and hold on tight.

Lily shakes her head.

“Jesus Christ. Sounds like something out of a novel.” She watches as the Charizard wraps its long, dark tongue around a thigh and draws it between its jaws. “Jesus Christ,” she says again. “Don't you go letting that thing starve any more. You keep it strong, and nothing will be able to stop you.”

You agree. The Charizard – assuming it both recognises and doesn't eat you – puts most weapons in the East to shame. It would take another Pokémon or a small army, fox or human, to put it down.

Finishing, the dragon stands up suddenly – all the way up, on its hind legs. Its wings stretch out to their full extent with a crack and a gust of wind that sends sand flying and Gryngolet retreating as far as his tether will allow, and all at once, the guttering flame on its tail bursts back into life. It doesn't burn as bright as before – indeed, you imagine the Charizard probably needs more than a single cow to fully sate its hunger. But it's definitely got its spirits back.

It drops down to all fours with a surprising lack of noise. Evidently, some of its dexterity has returned, too. Wings folding into place on its back, it moves that enormous head around to you and tilts it to one side, investigating you with one eye. You have to fight the urge to move – this is a very large animal, after all, and you have every reason to expect it still to be hungry – but you don't budge, and after a moment the Charizard retreats, leaning back and crouching on its haunches.

It seems to be waiting for something.

It seems to be waiting for you.

Lily turns to you, visibly shaken.

“Well,” she says, “are we going to get this thing saddled?”

It's easier than you thought it would be. When you approach, holding up the leather, the Charizard watches carefully, but makes no move to attack; when you take it around to its side, it opens out its left wing and leans its left shoulder towards the ground, as if anticipating what you want to do. It occurs to you then that it must be used to this. Someone caught it once, and someone put all those piercings in it. People – or foxes, at least – must have climbed over it before, and since you have fed it, it seems willing enough to let you do the same.

Perhaps, you think, it's actually trained, and the only reason it reacted so savagely to the militia and army was because they were trying to kill it.

Whatever the reason, the Charizard allows you to secure the torthide on its back with loops of rope around its wings and belly; it even flexes its limbs to show you how much strain the ropes will bear as it moves in flight. Someone has definitely ridden it before – probably a fox, or perhaps one of the Peak trappers, if it was originally caught by humans.

“It's more docile than Gryngolet,” remarks Lily, surprised. “Whoever you stole it from, I'd like to know their secrets.”

She cuts a loose end of rope with a knife and straightens up.

“There. That ought to hold.”

The two of you step back, and the Charizard stands up again. Its eyes return to your face, although they never meet your gaze. You expected that; most animals take a look in the eyes to be a threat.

You suppose it's time to leave.

“Yes,” agrees Lily. “Where are you going?”

You shrug. East, you say, and point.

The Charizard's eyes follow your finger, and then move back to you. It makes a strange noise halfway between a sniff and a hiss, which you take to mean it has got the message.

Lily hesitates before asking her next question, but her curiosity gets the better of her; she has seen much of you, and the extraordinary things that go with you, and you know that even though she knows it's always best not to ask about the motives of fellow rogues of the wasteland she can't help but ask.

“Why? What's out there?”

You think about that for a moment.

Answers, perhaps, you tell her. Or more questions. You aren't really sure. But there's someone waiting for you there.

Lily nods slowly.

“I see,” she says, and for once you can't tell whether she does or not.

She walks you to the Charizard, which obediently lowers its knee for you to climb up on, and helps you secure the straps around your waist and shoulders that will stop you from having to hold on so continuously. This time, you remember to take your hat off, and fasten it to your pack. Through the torthide, you feel a gentle warmth – but not the searing heat from before.

“Lot of foxes out that way,” shouts Lily, as she moves off to give the Charizard some room. “Be wary around them. Bold, but not too bold, yes?”

You freeze.

What did she just say?

You want to shout back – to ask her what she said and where she heard it – but it is too late; the Charizard is rearing, and those huge wings are beating, and with one gigantic kick it is rocketing away from the earth, Lily dwindling to insectoid scale as she backs away, face upturned …

The Charizard roars, a sound that shakes the heavens, and a bloody tongue of flame licks the air. Beneath you, the land drop away; before you, the blank desert opens up beyond the edge of the foothills.

And at the uttermost edge of your vision, where the sky shimmers with heat, a tall black tower comes into view, and though you cannot see them you know that someone there is watching you.

Be bold, they are saying. Be bold.

END OF PART ONE

Note: Well done, everyone, you made it! Part Two will be coming in a couple of days. For now, please feel free to decide on a name for your new friend. As an animal, it has no sense of gender, so feel free to give it absolutely any name that makes sense for a mid-to-late-eighteenth-century steampunk-cowboy world with Arabic and Aztec influences.

teamVASIMR: Nope. They aren't. But they thought it would be easier to execute a cow if they hadn't made a pet of it. Also, yes; I edited that bit about ammo in after you pointed out that I'd forgotten it. Silly me.

Last edited:

Deadly.Braviary

feel free to give it absolutely any name that makes sense for a mid-to-late-eighteenth-century steampunk-cowboy world with Arabic and Aztec influences.[/SIZE]

I vote we keep Charlie. Aw man :p
Let's see ... How about ... Tabiti? Someone has to see what I did there ...

That 'be bold' quote is great.

~Deadly

5221A

Lily mutters something to Gryngolet, and without hesitation he leans forward and bites down hard on the cow's tail.
With all my years of working with cows and horses, that is definitely the strangest thing I have ever heard of. Had to be Gryngolet.

it has closed its jaws around the cow's head before you could so much as raise your gun. The cow itself does not so much as cry out. As quickly as it struck, the Charizard pulls back, and its now headless victim collapses into the dust.
Well so much for Bessie, I kinda preferred a cow over a Charzard :p

Yay! Level clear! Can't wait for part 2, hopefully we learn more about the foxes.

I hate naming Pokemon, or anything for that mater. Normally when it comes to naming things I go with the default name or add a suffix to the word/name. With that said I vote for Charzardy :p. On a serious note don't name him that. I think Smaug, Apophis or Ladon would be nice, yeah I'm ultra creative.

Pink Harzard

So majestic
Been away for so long here ><
I think that Charlie or Charles isn't a bad nickname. (not very creative :p)