• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

A Legendary Photo Op! (889)

Rohanator

Do keep in mind that they decided to recast the Pokemon upon its evolution in advance, it's not like Furushima randomly walked in and did a cool cry that impressed the voice directors so much they fired Terasaki from the role and gave it to him instead.
I'm not sure if what I said implied I thought things work like that (I guess I just assumed that Furushima has some say in how the cry ultimately comes out. Shinichiro Miki constantly changes the tone of Luchabull's voice for example from high pitched to deep. But of course they'll give him some guide lines so yeah guess I shouldn't have called it "his take" entirely) but anyway that doesn't change that they chose to recast Fiarrow to a male VA. Though, whether a Pokemon's gender matches its VA's gender or not probably isn't a big concern for them as long as the cry sounds good unlike with humans where women often voice young males (which I felt was the case with Hinoyakoma especially) but men pretty much never voice any females, so there's that.

Hinoyakoma's clothes in the ending are the most definitive hint I guess. But even then the outfit isn't as obviously masculine as the other ones who just wear straight up dark suits. It looks kinda dorky tbh.

Last edited:

Navin

MALDREAD
I'm not sure if what I said implied I thought things work like that (I guess I just assumed that Furushima has some say in how the cry ultimately comes out. Shinichiro Miki constantly changes the tone of Luchabull's voice for example from high pitched to deep. But of course they'll give him some guide lines so yeah guess I shouldn't have called it "his take" entirely) but anyway that doesn't change that they chose to recast Fiarrow to a male VA. Though, whether a Pokemon's gender matches its VA's gender or not probably isn't a big concern for them as long as the cry sounds good unlike with humans where women often voice young males (which I felt was the case with Hinoyakoma especially) but men pretty much never voice any females, so there's that.

Hinoyakoma's clothes in the ending are the most definitive hint I guess. But even then the outfit isn't as obviously masculine as the other ones who just wear straight up dark suits. It looks kinda dorky tbh.

Y'know, I thought Smogonbird was a male after the frog bro-smashed the bird on the head back in episode 5.

Kazuki Mirai

So I heard Fletchling evolved and I checked out the episode- HOLY ARCEUS.

Moltres looked like a god in here! O_O Fletchling evolving was great and all but Moltres sold the episode for me.

Also, lol. Pikachu almost blasted off with Team Rocket.

hottom3rd

Good episode. Music during evo + moltres/talonflame fight was a bit off for me, would've preferred Volt. I can honestly say it was carried out quite effectively.

As for a true rival.. just have Tobias show back up.. lmao

Archangel Azazel

Fallen Angel
Saw this episode not too long ago and... I guess I was a little too invested on it because I actually got teary eyed when Fletchling saw that it would be too late to save Ash from that last attack from Moltres. Throughout its evolution and Ash throwing himself into the volcano I had tears in my eyes. >.<

Besides that, it was a nice episode. Would have been awesome if it had been Articuno :p But.. I really enjoyed it. Just wished the song on where Talonflame appeared would have been Volt.

9/10

Soaring Pikachu

Cool Trainer
This could be a great promotion for a new Pokémon snap type game. Come on Nintendo, make it happen!

It is nice to see a Charmeleon again.

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
I loved this episode but Talonflame is still my least favorite of Ash's Kalos Pokemon. Ash risking his life to save his Pokemon is always nice. And they made Trevor a likeable character.
9/10

Pokegirl0102

Yes i really loved the episode today with how action packed it was and Trevor is definitely starting to become the most likeable out of the trio, Fletchinder really caught me off guard with evolving, i didnt think it would happen until next season, and have anyone else noticed that Ash is on a major winning streak which is usually uncommon for him.

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
Trevor has some skewed priorities when it comes to talking about meaningless photos. It's like Moltres wasn't actually that important to him.

Why do all Charmeleon have to be so hot blooded? The only strange exception was Alain's, who instead felt a bit neglected when it came to Alain researching stuff.

Clemont, birds don't roar.

I thought the Moltres scuffle was going to last longer, but it was more about the group just stalling for time outside the actual volcano more than anything.

Ash, for god's sake, you have a sphere that can shoot a light to call back Pokemon from a distance. Stop risking your life over nothing! Moltres saw how suicidal you are so that's why it didn't bother burning you down: you'll take yourself down anyway.

Also, not a fan of Talonflame's horrible voice.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
That was a pretty good episode. I'm not sure why it was a recycle of that episode with Todd and Articuno, but whatever. I wish Ash had made some sort of comment about knowing how hard it is to train a Charmeleon, that would have been nice. Also, as interesting as that final battle was to watch, I feel like with how powerful the Legendary Birds have been shown to be in the past, it was a little silly how long Talonflame managed to hold its own.

This was an ok episode, though it was nice to see Moltres again as well as seeing Fletchling evolve.

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
A nice episode. It was good to see Moltres appear and to see Fletchinder evolve.

Pikachu52

So the episode starts off with Ash battling Trevor. Is it just me or do Ash's "rivals" seem weaker in this generation that previously. Ash's Fletchlinder destroyed Trevor's Charmeleon with one steel wing. Next Trevor introduces the episodes plot by mentioning his goal is to take a picture of Molters and showing Ash and friends his pictures of Articuno, Zapdos and Moltres. Those three sure do get around. They've featured in Kanto, Johto, Sinnoh, the Sevii Island and now they're paying Kalos a visit. Following that Jessie, James and Meowth plot to capture Molters - didn't Butch and Cassidy already try that...So far so good

The next 5-10 minutes are just Clemont's Rock catcher searching every rock to find the one where Moltress appears and Trevor taking photos...Pads the episode out a little.

After that things get more interesting - Team Rocket steal Pikachu yet again (I thought they were after Molters). There's a battles between Fletchlinder and Team Rocket...And then finally Moltress appears in all it's glory and Trevor explains that it uses lava to recharge it's power...Didn't it do the same thing in the Sevii islands??? Team Rocket then try to attack Moltress and fail miserably when it's flamethrower sends them blasting off...They have even less success with Moltress than did Butch and Cassidy. Interesting twist though taking Pikachu with them...On no his cage falls back to earth.

The next part it quite good. Moltress attacks Ash and friends and so Ash try to fight back. Fletchlinder gets attacked and evolves...Subsequent battle between Talonflame and Moltress was good and Ash's attempt to rescue him when he fell into the lava - By jumping into the lava.

Pikachu being mad at Ash for being so reckless was cute but rushed. They should have shown Pikachu being desperately worried about Ash when he was falling into the lava and they could have made more of a deal about Pikachu being mad at him...The mouse only gave Ash a frown and then forgave him after one pat on the head - Could have at least slapped him over the head with his tail.

After that Moltress flies away deciding Ash and his friends aren't it's enemies...Or at least that they're no threat to it given how easily Moltress beat Talonflame.

And Trevor got his photo....

Meh - It's a good episode but was kind of a let down. It was way too heavy on the action and not emotional enough - The Pikashipping hints page on bulbapedia lists Pikachu's frustration at Ash for his attempt to save Talonflame, but the scene lasted less than a second. It's wastes what I hoped would be a good Pikashipping moment but it's still cute.

6/10

That was a pretty good episode. I'm not sure why it was a recycle of that episode with Todd and Articuno, but whatever. I wish Ash had made some sort of comment about knowing how hard it is to train a Charmeleon, that would have been nice. Also, as interesting as that final battle was to watch, I feel like with how powerful the Legendary Birds have been shown to be in the past, it was a little silly how long Talonflame managed to hold its own.

Personally I think the episode is a repeat of the chronicles episode "Search for the legend." That had pretty similar elements; Ash/Richie Teamed up with Trevor/Silver to find Moltress. Both parties climbed an active Volcano to find Moltress. Team Rocket attempted to capture Moltress by having their Pokémon attack it unsuccessfully. In both episode a part flying type Pokémon battles against Moltress but doesn't finish the battle.

It's actually a shame because out of the two episodes "Search for the legend" is the better. Salamance probably had a better chance against Moltres then Talonflame did and Butch and Cassidy at least had a plan to capture it, Jessie and James just thought randomly attacking a legendary Pokémon was a good idea. I agree with you the battle between Moltres and Talonflame was not realistic - Silver's Salamence had trouble against Moltres and it was clearly a lot more powerful than Talonflame.

Kinda sad too - Search for the legend was the last time we saw Ritchie in the anime. He was a good character....But that's off point

Ash, for god's sake, you have a sphere that can shoot a light to call back Pokemon from a distance. Stop risking your life over nothing! Moltres saw how suicidal you are so that's why it didn't bother burning you down: you'll take yourself down anyway.

Also, not a fan of Talonflame's horrible voice.

That's a good point. I hadn't thought of that - Why didn't Ash just return Talonflame to it's Pokéball. I suppose it would have been much less dramatic. But then why didn't any of this friends point that out to him. He jumped into a Lava pit he deserved more of a bearting than he actually recieved - and a tail slap from Pikachu

Last edited:

ShinyCharyZard

Too old for your rubbish..
So today we've learned how to make me go from adoring Talonflame to hating it in the space of two months.. by allowing this god awful dubbing team to supply it with their own voice..

I'm so glad I rarely bother with the dub these days. I'm just going to continue enjoying the cries of "Fiarrow!!" in the raw..

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
Personally I think the episode is a repeat of the chronicles episode "Search for the legend." That had pretty similar elements; Ash/Richie Teamed up with Trevor/Silver to find Moltress. Both parties climbed an active Volcano to find Moltress. Team Rocket attempted to capture Moltress by having their Pokémon attack it unsuccessfully. In both episode a part flying type Pokémon battles against Moltress but doesn't finish the battle.

It's actually a shame because out of the two episodes "Search for the legend" is the better. Salamance probably had a better chance against Moltres then Talonflame did and Butch and Cassidy at least had a plan to capture it, Jessie and James just thought randomly attacking a legendary Pokémon was a good idea. I agree with you the battle between Moltres and Talonflame was not realistic - Silver's Salamence had trouble against Moltres and it was clearly a lot more powerful than Talonflame.

Kinda sad too - Search for the legend was the last time we saw Ritchie in the anime. He was a good character....But that's off point

I actually thought the same thing, I just didn't mention it because I wasn't sure if most people have watched Chronicles or not. What it really was was a mixture of the two episodes.

So today we've learned how to make me go from adoring Talonflame to hating it in the space of two months.. by allowing this god awful dubbing team to supply it with their own voice..

I'm so glad I rarely bother with the dub these days. I'm just going to continue enjoying the cries of "Fiarrow!!" in the raw..

Wait...what's wrong with Talonflame's voice? It sounds like a bird, and that's what it is. I don't see the problem. It kind of sounds reminiscent of Staraptor to me. I think you're overreacting.