• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

A Living, Breathing Setting

chanseychansey77

Elite Trainer
I doubt any of you remember me, but 'tis I. I have been thinking about writing again, and hope to make it to actually writing somewhat soon.

One of my favorite ideas involves making a 1920's or so style cheese factory a workplace for the protagonist. I want this place to seem real, to have a tangible history behind it and living employees crafting cheese wheels and making the story readable.

Take Hogwarts, for example. Probably the best case of that sort of thing done in recent memory. The moving staircases, the house rivalries, just about everybody knows what goes on in Hogwarts because the things that make it Hogwarts are well described very often. It also sports a huge character count, and each one of them has established activities and personalities. There's a sport they have, a slogan, rituals, Hogwarts has serious reasons for being ingrained in every Harry Potter reader's memory.

So, if I may, how do you guys go about making your setting more real? You don't need to give me any advice in regards to cheese-making or factories of that period (though if you have any to give, it wouldn't be refuted! Maybe PM it to me, I guess).

Thanks, and good luck to all y'alls.

TheBlackDuelist

@pump_upp - best crypto pumps on telegram !
how do you guys go about making your setting more real?

Well to put it simply, it depends. It varies depending on the circumstance of the current plot, what the characters are doing, and how much tension is in the air.
If I wanted to describe the setting of a beautiful ocean right after someone just drowned, I would implement that event towards it. So I guess you could say, if there happens to be a major event that is happening at the time, interplaying that event into describing the setting would make it more "real" because the reader can easily imagine and can connect with it (especially if it has happened to them or someone they know).

Also when your describing, try to be as detailed as you can be but make it relevant. If your describing a closet, possibly describe the clothes inside of the closet that is about to be worn by a character, don't babble on about the hooks and the hangers. (Because no one gives a rat's ***). People want to know what the protagonist's surroundings look like and in order to do that, you're going to have to be specific. I'm not saying use big fancy words that sound like your some University Professor, but make sure it's detailed enough so that we can picture it clearly.

Hope this helped somewhat :)

P.S - I dislike Harry Potter, simply because EVERY reply I get from a question I ask on "Which fandom is the most popular?" is Harry Potter. :(

Last edited:

chanseychansey77

Elite Trainer
^I just tried to use an example everybody would know. As far as popular fandoms go, I probably could have done some Kingdom Hearts (which has the most fanfictions on it on fanfiction.com) thing if I knew of a place that was super-fleshed out in the Kingdom Hearts multiverse. Buuuuut, I don't.

Yes, as descriptions go, I tend to fail. I tell myself to do a couple descriptions, do them poorly, and then get lost in endless dialogue. I guess, if anybody has any guidelines to keep in mind for their descriptions in their world-building endeavors, that would be great too.

Also cheese.