• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

A Love Hate Relationship with Video Games- Are Games Beneficial?

Kabuto

little punks!
I have this weird relationship with video games these days. And this is by no means a bashing of video games culture, just a way of me coming to terms with my time gaming and why I feel that it might have been harmful to me personally.

Growing up as a child, I loved video games, (especially Nintendo), to the point where I would say it was my one true hobby and passion. I was able to talk endlessly about Pokemon statistics, Metroid environments, Sonic levels, Zelda weapons, Kirby animal friends, etc. (You get the picture). I still have this knowledge deeply embedded into my brain.

But now, as an adult, I believe that video games were kind of a "useless hobby" for me, that didn't get me anywhere. This is particularly because I overindulged in them (whereas if I only spent even up to an hour a day gaming as opposed to 3-4 hours a day gaming, the effects would be less detrimental)

The 10,000 hours rule says that anything we devote 10,000 hours of our time towards will provide us with a basic mastery of that skill. Unfortunately, video games were that endeavor for me. Being a basic master of how many Pokemon there are doesn't help me in the real world- it doesn't put food on my table. Moreover, it doesn't have any practical use outside of nerdy circles (in which, the guys outweigh the girls so it's difficult to even impress girls with gaming knowledge)

Video games aren't that way for some people. There are people who are into the computer science of coding because of games, become better surgeons due to accuracy from games, or military men with good reflexes. And for those people, the benefits of playing video games are great.

But for me, a liberal arts major who struggles to find himself, I haven't really benefitted from playing games so much. At best, it improved my imagination a little bit with drawing and storytelling- that's it.

The past is the past- I cannot erase the time I spent gaming, nor would I necessarily do that even if given the choice. But I would like to know, what's an easy way to come to terms with it? Why am I filled with bitterness and anger towards the time I spent? Should I still have a fondness for games in my heart, is there a way to feel good about games even if I don't necessarily play them?

Charizard Champion#06

Spiral Warrior
Cool blog post bro.

Try not to regret it so much and focus on doing something you consider meaningful if that makes you feel better. No matter what you spend your time with it's probably not going to matter in 10,000 years when people forget what McDonalds and Disney are so just do whatever makes you feel good with the time you have.

Haunter ゴースト

You enjoyed it at the time right? That's what matters.

It's always good to plan ahead, but plan too far ahead and you'll miss out on the fun of the present. Do what makes you happy at that moment in time - in this case you was clearly happy playing video games, no point dwelling on the past now, it's over and done with only the future to focus on.

Playing video games defines the childhood you so it sounds - you may feel like nothing beneficial come from it but look at in the sense that you had a passion for video games when you was younger. That isn't a waste if you found enjoyment in it.

tomatohater

Golden Sun 4?
Well...

Put it this way. You had (presumably) enjoyed your time playing those games, and that is what matters. Sometimes, I look back and think, what if I hadn't played so many videogames, but then I just go 'meh', as I found it enjoyable, and that is all that truly matters. You talked to your friends about it, and you may have even made friends that way. I know some of my friends I have made were because we shared a common interest in videogames, and now we share an interest in almost everything. As long as you enjoy your time, it should not be regrettable. Yes, you could have been studying instead, but then you would probably have wished that you enjoyed yourself more as a child, as being an adult means that you do not have a lot of spare time. Childhood is a precious thing, so you should spend it how you want to, and never regret it.

Kabuto

little punks!
Thanks to all of you- I feel very encouraged right now. I can't say I regret my time gaming in any way (but maybe in such excess....)

I guess I have a new dilemma- I miss video games. I haven't played a game in quite a few months now (not even Smash Bros with friends anymore), and I feel a little bit of withdrawal. As I start to pick up drawing again, I'm drawing lots of gaming and anime characters. Yeah, I miss it. Maybe I should boot up Sonic for an hour, just to feel the joy of gaming again, I just don't want to pick it up as a habit.

Void Ventus

Sic Parvis Magna
Thanks to all of you- I feel very encouraged right now. I can't say I regret my time gaming in any way (but maybe in such excess....)

I guess I have a new dilemma- I miss video games. I haven't played a game in quite a few months now (not even Smash Bros with friends anymore), and I feel a little bit of withdrawal. As I start to pick up drawing again, I'm drawing lots of gaming and anime characters. Yeah, I miss it. Maybe I should boot up Sonic for an hour, just to feel the joy of gaming again, I just don't want to pick it up as a habit.

We all have regrets, but you did have a great time with videogames, right?

Anyways, you miss videogames eh? Any particular genre you're craving?

Kabuto

little punks!
Haha, well, I suppose I miss most the platform games that I love- Castlevania, Megaman, Sonic, Donkey Kong, etc. I would love to play the new Smash Bros when it comes out but I probably don't have time for it.

And shoot, I think a lot of this stems from my job situation right now. I'm out of time to remain unemployed, so I have to pick up jobs in day camps and what not just so I can stay afloat. I'll be teaching English in a foreign country in the fall, just so I can buy some more time. If I devote my energies towards a full time career....then my dream of working in the arts, it's over.

My original dream though was to be an illustrator- I love the drawings from the aforementioned games. Unfortunately, my drawing skills are not at that super high quality right now (though still good), and the only computer program I honestly know is Photoshop. I've just been left behind, where as I wish I followed my dream from the get go. Lots of things got in the way of that.

So yeah, I'm redirecting my anger right now, in another direction.

Ketaru

I think gaming is a hobby, first and foremost. Most people don't have the luxury of their hobbies also happening to coincide with their work. Some do, of course, like those art majors who somehow end up designing ads or movie posters. Most of my friends love board games. None of my friends work in the board game industry, however. I like to think of hobbies as time to ourselves to "recharge" for the next day. In that sense, hobbies are never useless.

If you weren't gaming all that time, what would you have been doing? Maybe you might have been volunteering or doing political activism somewhere. But it's also just as likely you might have had another hobby that is just as frivolous, like reading obscure speculative fiction. Or building Lego sets.

Kabuto

little punks!
I think gaming is a hobby, first and foremost. Most people don't have the luxury of their hobbies also happening to coincide with their work. Some do, of course, like those art majors who somehow end up designing ads or movie posters. Most of my friends love board games. None of my friends work in the board game industry, however. I like to think of hobbies as time to ourselves to "recharge" for the next day. In that sense, hobbies are never useless.

If you weren't gaming all that time, what would you have been doing? Maybe you might have been volunteering or doing political activism somewhere. But it's also just as likely you might have had another hobby that is just as frivolous, like reading obscure speculative fiction. Or building Lego sets.

I think it's very important for me to merge a hobby with my work- or work towards making a hobby into future work. If a hobby doesn't lead me towards any future potential, than I prefer to negate it. I'm not the type to play games endlessly (anymore), nor veg out on the couch watching the football game and eating nachos. Though naturally, sometimes it is important to take time to decompress, doing whatever I need to. (Lately that has been through meditation, or writing (as I am now!))

This, of course, is my most recent mindset. So I can't blame myself for thinking in other ways two years, or even a few months ago. I had no way of knowing. Though it pains me sometimes to think about the time I just browsed the internet endlessly for no good reason. (even recently, I haven't completely gotten rid of this bad habit)

I'd rather be the guy making video games or board games, than the guy playing them. Of course, like you said, not everyone has the chance to make it happen. I just wish I did some more with the free time while I had it, that's all. :/

Sorry to sound negative :). Perhaps I still have the chance to make something good happen, and find eventual fulfillment in my work.

Charmy

Beginning Trainer
Dude, its simple, just stop playing video games and go focus on working 24/7. Of course playing video games are not going to get you any where in your life, just like watching TV or reading a fictional book won't. They are purely for enjoyment. If you think you can get through life only doing things that are progressing you career etc without enjoying anything then go for it.

Blues OVO

Casual Trainer
I hear ya, I was on the hype of playing games all day every day and did regret it for a while. I tried cutting back a lot of my own accord, but the funny thing was I stopped playing as much when other things started to happen in life. So it naturally ended and I found less and less time for it while I tried new things to strike a balance.

But ever since I found that balance and rectified any 'deficits' caused by overindulging in gaming, I actually found myself missing it. I say appreciate the time you had with games - come to terms with it, because you enjoyed it while you were really into it and wouldn't have known better. Now I still play a lot and manage to enjoy it while still maintaining other things - in fact I'm trying to get as much game time in now as it's my last summer vacation before I dive into a career next year. After that it'll be just a bit of escapism - it's why I like Pokemon so much, simple pick up and play for whenever you have a bit of downtime from your responsibilities!

The key is moderation, you can still have your cake and eat it. No point regretting the past, it's happened - I'm sure you'll be fine in your career and such. And as tomatohater said, think of all the great times you've had with people sharing your hobby :)

WildHennaCharizard

I like playing video games I really do but lately I have been finding it hard to find games that I would like to play over and over again. Also the fact that there are so many first person shooters everywhere on the market as well as games that are just a blood and gore fest makes makes it harder for me to keep gaming. Games like Pokemon, Zelda heck Nintendo games in general are more of my speed. Tho I am sick of Mario and Kirby games.

Navin

MALDREAD
I have a similar love-hate relationship towards them. I hate them because I wasted a lot of time that could have been put to studying/working during college on gaming. And I definitely do regret it sometimes, but there are positives you can take from it.

They are a lot of fun and can make for great bonding experiences. If you're playing those online multiplayer games, you're integrated into a new community and exposed to a different 'culture', and that is in itself a learning experience. Even if you're gaming alone, take for example something like Mass Effect or Dragon Age or Skyrim; they're literally immersing you in worlds that your imagination concocted as a kid.

There's nothing wrong with spending time in gaming, but there will come a point where you have to return to reality. Worst thing to do is regret over that time spent. Just focus on the positive stuff you gained from it, and look forward to the future.

shadow wolf

The one and only!
Honestly man, everyone could be doing something more productive with their time, nobody is perfect. Besides we all have things we regret and self-loathe, just don't let it control you, you know. Whatever it is you decide as your hobby, the important thing is you are enjoying yourself.

If I read you correctly, if you want to make games, make games. Pen & Paper, Board, Programming, pre-built engine, whatever, there are many avenues out there nowadays where making games isn't so foreign anymore. Also, where and what you do is dependent upon the skills you've developed no matter what they may be.

Aegiscalibur

Add Witty Title Here
The possibility of designing games yourself is an obvious benefit, but it isn't the only one.

It depends a lot on what you play. The very best of VNs and RPGs are well-written enough to make you a better writer, improve your thinking in general, and inspire you to look into deeper topics. Strategy games help train your mathematical thinking, especially if turn-based. And games also help you get more social contacts, some of which may help you further.

I don't regret playing games, but I regret a bit that I didn't find faster the games I really liked. Mass marketing hype tends to mislead people.