• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

A Max comeback anyone?

Salamandre

Well that's not entirely true. In the original Pichu Bros. short (the one that aired with the 3rd movie) Ash & Pikachu celebrated their one year anniversary together. It's not much but it's the only confirmation we've ever gotten that any of the characters have aged. As far as canon goes Ash should be 11 now.

Hell maybe ash and brock both have a growth disease and can't grow any taller. Maybe the narrator has never watched past kanto saga, anythings possible. (end sarcasism) But yea the writers have broke away from consistencies before even if there not groundbreaking. I wouldn't be suprised if they did some kind of cheap logic to make aging possible like have max get warped backed 2 years by celebi and can't return until he beats ash or something.

Swampert_trainer

Laughs at thunder
Max having to wait until he turns 10 to get a Pokemon makes no sense. There have been so many trainers in the show who seemed to be the same age if not younger than Max and they had Pokemon.

They could age Max if they wanted to, they just wouldn't explicitly state that he had aged. Gary probably isn't a 10 year old Pokemon scientist, but they haven't felt the need to state that he has aged. Brock's younger brother doesn't seem to be the same age as Ash, but he's taken over the role of Pewter City gym leader.

The writers probably won't bring Max back, but they certainly could do so if they wanted to.

cyclone ace

Casual Trainer
It would immensely strange if max came back starting off in he unova region rather then his own hoenn region

pokemon fan 132

Personally i wouldnt mind seeing Max coming back as main character being interesting to see him starting his journey,getting his first pokemon and having that promised battle vs Ash.Poor guy never got much development suffering from consequence of not being there much to do when he wasnt even allowed to have pokemon.

Realistically though chances of Max going on a journey of being main character again are almost impossible considering how characters dont age meaning how he will probably stay trapped in endless limb.

Personally i would rather have Misty back as main over him having several unexplored things in story and potential to be developed more being interesting to have her back, but if Max returns i certainly wont complain.

The writers probably won't bring Max back, but they certainly could do so if they wanted to.

In theory they could return any older character back,doesnt mean they will though.

MidnightMelody

Hopeful for Gen 8
People ct like time skip (for Max) is impossible. They have done it in old sitcoms so of course they could do it in anime.

BlueVapor

People ct like time skip (for Max) is impossible. They have done it in old sitcoms so of course they could do it in anime.

A time skip for all the characters would be fine, and make sense. But, if you only age Max, and not all the other characters, it would look... weird. Then, the fact that May and Max are the same age would just sound odd.

Personally, if there were ever to be a time skip, it should've been for BW. I was always under the assumption that Ash stayed 10 due to the main male characters in the games being 10. But the Unova boy was older, wasn't he? Or maybe I'm just making that up. But either way, a time skip isn't impossible, it just seems quite unlikely at this point.

MidnightMelody

Hopeful for Gen 8
A time skip for all the characters would be fine, and make sense. But, if you only age Max, and not all the other characters, it would look... weird. Then, the fact that May and Max are the same age would just sound odd.

Personally, if there were ever to be a time skip, it should've been for BW. I was always under the assumption that Ash stayed 10 due to the main male characters in the games being 10. But the Unova boy was older, wasn't he? Or maybe I'm just making that up. But either way, a time skip isn't impossible, it just seems quite unlikely at this point.

In the games Cheren said "I have known you for 10 years Bianca!" so not sure.
Maybe he met her a few years after birth?

pokeaussie37

The Black and White playable characters, Hilda and Hilbert, are both at least in their teens, probably around 15, for those who asked.

Hikari Paradise

Forever Alone
I don't really want Max to return at all. He was a big meaningless distraction that required too much of May's attention. I can't see him coming back unless they make a Hoenn filler saga after Unova.

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
I don't really want Max to return at all. He was a big meaningless distraction that required too much of May's attention. I can't see him coming back unless they make a Hoenn filler saga after Unova.

While I agree he won't appear again, what was he distracting? He helped flesh out the group otherwise it would have been like the DP trio.

MidnightMelody

Hopeful for Gen 8
While I agree he won't appear again, what was he distracting? He helped flesh out the group otherwise it would have been like the DP trio.

This is true

Silent Conversation

Chart obsessed wanker
There's this strange, general rule in the anime that the main characters don't age. If they did, Ash would be in his 20s right now, not 10, even though they've established many times about how they've taken a year to get to a certain place, and a year to get to another, etc. So, Max being a full fledged trainer (where he'd have to be 10 AT LEAST) can't happen otherwise the anime rule would be broken in some places and intact in others.

Max coming back just as a regular person though, like he was when he was a main character, would be fine (although I personally don't want him to)

Max coming back as a trainer could be interesting. It would be great to see him battle Ash and see if he could use his smarts well in battle, rather than just being the know-it-all he was before he could become a trainer.

I didn't mind Max but I wish he could have kept his early AG personality. He went from being the stereotypical bratty brother to being part of the background. I'd rather have the first, honestly. :p

TehLulzMastur

Putting aside the continuity problem of Max appearing as a trainer, I can see how this would go. The inevitable RS remakes would be coming out, so it would be the perfect opportunity to both bring back an old character, and also show off the new starters for the younger players who are new to Hoenn.

Swagga09

Max was obnoxious and annoying.. he made generation 3 unbearable for me to watch

Kustem

Stylish knight
max torkoal, corphish and the team rocket were the mainly reason why i stop watching pokemon advance,, i think was the worst season of all,

thanks god for bring paul and the fourth generation to fix that mistake

Caseydia

Ace Trainer
They'll probably make the girls come back before they bring poor Max back. They don't care for the boys much in Pokemon anymore. It's the same way I feel about the Brock thread under this one.