• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

A-Maze-ing Race! (514)

Serebii

And, as if by magic, the webmaster appeared...
Staff member
Admin
Maze Shuffle! Everybody Hustle!

On their way to Hearthome City, Ash & Co. find a contest in which the winner can earn a new Pokétch Application. Dawn, eager to get a new one insists that they all take part. The task? Get through a Maze on time. However, Team Rocket get in the way intent on stealing some Pokémon. Will Ash & Co. get through the maze safely/

Visit The Episode Guide

Discuss

Dogasu

Frustrated Elf
Wow Serebii, that episode description is way off...

Here's the synopsis I posted in the Speculation Thread:

Dogasu said:
-The episode starts with Hikari running ahead of Satoshi and Takeshi to get the newest Poketch model. However, at this time, no one knows what the new model is.
-The gang arrives at the Pokemon Center, but they're told they're at the wrong one! The Pokemon Center they need to go to is on the other side of the mountain!
-As Joi tells them where the Pokemon Center is, Takeshi starts to flirt with Joi. Gureggru appears and uses Poison Jab, but Takeshi actually dodges it! The scene ends with Satoshi and Hikari carrying Takeshi off while Gureggru just sort of stands there.
-The gang starts running along a mountainous path when they're approached by Musashi-tachi in disguise. The three tell them that they're the 100th visitor (or something like that) to the area, so they invite them into a detour that will get them to the Pokemon Center faster. Kojirou also gives a map to Hikari to use.
-Before letting Hikari and the others continue into the cave, however, Musashi-tachi ask everyone to release their pokemon so they can all take a big group picture. Unknown to our heroes, the Rocket trio has a net hanging above them, waiting to be dropped.
-Suddenly, the cave starts to rumble, and a group of Golone and Golonya roll past our heroes! After the dust clears, our heroes are nowhere to be found! Kojirou wonders what they'll do now, but Musashi says that they'll be easier to catch now that they're separated.
-Next, we see Hikari walking through the cave by herself, holding Kojirou's map. As she looks around, scared, she sees a pair of glowing eyes that look a lot like Gureggru's...
-Elsewhere, Satoshi is seen with a number of tunnels in front of him. The trainer stops for a minute before choosing the one on the left. The tunnel leads outside, where he sees a giant labyrinth. On top of one of the stone walls is Satoshi's rival, Shinji! The trainer from Tobari City is busy trying to capture an Onidrill, but when Satoshi calls out to him to ask if he's seen the others, the pokemon escapes! An angry Shinji tells Satoshi that he doesn't have time for him and walks off. As Satoshi is left standing there, he has a humorous vision of Hikari having Iwaku use a Wrap attack on her. The trainer decides to continue through the maze so he can reunite with his friends.
-As Satoshi continues through the maze, Musashi, Kojirou, and Nyasu wait for him, disguised as boulders. The Rocket trio position themselves on a cross-shaped path in a way that forces Satoshi to go forward. Once Satoshi passes by, Kojirou moves so that the next person who comes by is forced to turn left. Pikachu arrives at the intersection and turns left, separating itself from Satoshi even more than it already was.
-Musashi and Kojirou, undetected by Pikachu, are about to chase after the mouse pokemon when the herd of Golone and Goronya roll past. After they go by, an Iwaku charges through and hits the trio, causing the Rocket-Dan to be sent blasting off.
-Back at the exit to the cave, Hikari and Gureggru emerge. Hikari spots Shinji, who's still trying to capture Onidrill. She asks him if he's seen Satoshi and Takeshi but gets yelled at for distracting him. Hikari takes a path into the labyrinth and Shinji resumes his capture. However, at that moment, Takeshi, along with Mukubird, Aipom, and Naetle, all appear and ask him if he's seen his friend! An upset Shinji wonders why everyone keeps interrupting him...
-After Shinji storms off, Takeshi asks Mukubird to fly over the labyrinth to see if it can spot his friends.
-Elsewhere, Pikachu comes across Mimirol and Pipinku, who are arguing amongst themselves. After breaking up the fight, Pikachu carries Pipinku on its back and grabs ahold of Mimirol's hand to get it to come with them. However, when it does this, Mimirol starts to blush.
-Meanwhile, Hikari and Gureggru press on through the maze. Suddenly, the Iwaku that attacked the Rocket-Dan comes rampaging straight for Hikari! Gureggru, thinking quickly, uses its Poison Jab to create a crack in the wall and then pushes Hikari into it at the last second. Iwaku pases them by as Hikari, dazed by what just happened, thanks Gureggru for saving her.
-We then see a scene with Pikachu, Mimirol, and Pipinku, all getting along.
-Next, we see Satoshi arrive at a dead end. He swears, however, that he'll reunite with his friends if it's the last thing he does!

-----Commercial Break-----

-Satoshi continues to press forward. He comes across Potchama, Buoysel, Usokki, and Pachirisu. Potchama and Buoysel are arguing, Usokki is nervously stamping its feet, and Pachirisu starts to tear up. Satoshi runs up to the pokemon to stop the fighting, but an emotional Pachirisu accidentally shocks everyone!
-Suddenly, the Iwaku from before makes its way toward Satoshi! The young trainer orders Potchama to use Bubble attack while he orders Buoysel to use Water Gun. After defeating the rock snake pokemon, the two water-type pokemon high-five each other.
-Above, Mukubird continues to search for its comrades. Hikari spots the bird pokemon from the ground and starts to chase after it. The pokemon returns to Takeshi's side to report that it couldn't find anyone.
-Takeshi presses onward. Before long, he comes across a pyramid-shaped stone structure, at the top of which is a tree and green grass. Under the tree are Pikachu, Mimirol and Pipinku! Takeshi's pokemon gives Pikachu some flowers, and the electric pokemon responds by smiling awkwardly.
-Takeshi waves to the pokemon to make his presence known. At that time, Hikari and Gureggru arrive and reunite with Takeshi as well! Hikari wonders where Satoshi is, and Takeshi responds by asking Mukubird to search for its trainer again.
-Suddenly, the Rocket-Dan's pink mecha hand shoots through the air and grabs Mukubird! After performing their motto, the Rocket-Dan place Satoshi's pokemon into a cage. They then attempt to capture Pikachu with their mechanical hand, but the pokemon escapes. So, instead of pursuing it, the Rocket-Dan simply retreat with Satoshi's Mukubird.
-Hikari and the others chase after the Rocket-Dan's Nyasu balloon. As they run, Hikari calls out for Satoshi. The young trainer hears his traveling companion and yells out to her. Before long, our heroes discover that Satoshi is on the opposite side of a huge wall that they are unable to get around.
-Satoshi is about to turn back to try another path, but the Rocket-Dan use their pink mechanical fists to pummel the walls around him, creating a bunch of rubble that traps Satoshi at the dead end.
-Satoshi responds by ordering Potchama to use Bubble Beam, Buoysel to use Sonic Boom, Usokki to use Mimic, and Pachirisu to use some electric attack on the Rocket-Dan. However, Pachirisu's attack goes awry and electrocutes Satoshi-tachi, allowing the Rocket-Dan to escape.
-Once the Nyasu balloon is out of sight, Takeshi yells at Satoshi (from the other side of the wall) to have his pokemon attack the same spot that they're going to attack in an attempt to break the wall. Takeshi then picks up a rock and hits the wall with it...Satoshi listens to the sound the rock makes and knows exactly where to hit the wall.
-Now that both sides know what part of the wall to hit, they order their pokemon to attack. Takeshi asks Aipom to use Swift and Naetle to use Razor Leaf. Satoshi asks Mimirol to use Ice Beam, Potchama to use Bubble, Buoysel to use Water Gun, and Pachirisu...to sit this one out. Hikari asks Gureggru to use Poison Jab.
-As the pokemon attack, Pipinku walks by with a rock about twice its size and throws it at the wall. Our heroes admire Pipinku for trying to contribute to the team.
-After a long while, the attacks break through the wall, enabling everyone to reunite. Just as this happens, the Rocket-Dan reappear and start to descend toward our heroes. But wait! Pikachu, who had been missing during the big melee attack, reveals itself on top of the giant pyramid! The electric pokemon, taking advantage of its altitude, jumps up to the Rocket-Dan's balloon and uses Iron Tail to free Mukubird from its cage. It lands on the bird pokemon who then swoops in on the Nyasu balloon so Pikachu can get close enough to Thunderbolt them. The Rocket-Dan are sent flying into the sky.
-Later that day, Hikari arrives at the correct Pokemon Center. There, she gets a new Poketch application; Coin Toss! As Hikari admires her new update, Takeshi starts to hit on Joi. Gureggru steps in with a Poison Jab and, unlike last time, succeeds in stunning its trainer!
-As our heroes continue on their journey to Yosuga Town, they come across a fork in the road. Satoshi asks Hikari to use her new Coin Toss application to decide which way to go. Hikari announces that if it comes up heads, they'll go left; if it comes up tails, they'll go right. As the Coin Toss tells our heroes to go right, Takeshi wonders if trusting the Poketch for something like this is a good idea...

Orchid-Hakase Big Encyclopedia: Mitsuhoney

And this was posted in the speculation thread:

Lucario At Service said:
I think they gave Dawn that Coin Toss application because there is a mention of coin toss in the ending theme (Dawn song), i don't know japanese so i don't know the wordings & meaning of it exactly but there is a mention of coin toss in that song & Dawn is shown tossing a coin (if i remember correct when DP was released many people thought that coin to a frisbee).

The translation of the lyrics during that particular part is "When I get lost, I toss a coin."

Though I suppose now, it would be more accurate to translate the line as "When I get lost, I use Coin Toss (to decide)."

Dax

Legend
The people that wanted Ash to get Buizel should be happy now... he used Buizel for something.

Jonessodaco.Chris

Is Back Finally!
lol so i dont excactly get it... cause all i get is pictures and your ^^^ synopsis is wayyy to long to read lol can somebody just some up what went down and whats the deal with this coin thing

^ Basically, Ash and co. get split up with each other's pokemon due to TR's schemes. Dawn's w/ Croagunk, Ash w/ Pachirisu, Buizel, Piplup, and Sudowoodo, Brock w/ all of Ash's pokemon except Pikachu, and Pikachu w/ Buneary and Happiny later on. Paul appears in this as comedy relief as well.

I liked this episode! It's quite funny with Croagunk actually missing hitting Brock in the beginning and its interactions w/ Dawn. The Onix wrapping Dawn up with her saying "Daijobu" was hilarious as well. And of course, I can't forget Paul. Just trying to catch Fearow w/ everyone interupting him...awesome!

And Dawn gets to use the coin toss so I thought that was a cool way to decide where to go like it said in the ending.

Dax

Legend
The coin is nothing important.

The gang gets separated in a maze or a labyrinth. Dawn finds Croagunk.

Brock asks Staravia to look for the missing ones. Dawn spots Staravia. Dawn follows Staravia.

Ash finds Piplup, Buizel, Sudowoodo and Pachirisu. Buizel is fighthing with Piplup and Pachi gets emotional and shocks everyone.

Pikachu finds Buneary and Happiny. Buneary and Happiny are arguing. Pikachu separates them and grabs Buneary's hand making her blush.

There's a running gag with Paul trying to capture a Fearow and Dawn and Ash interrupting him.

Team Rocket captures Staravia. Ash uses Piplup, Buizel and Sudowoodo to get the bird.

And some more stuff to get the team reunited. Still it's a great episode to watch especially since it's fun to watch all of the pokemons interact with each other. All of the pokemons showed personality and they were funny. It was like a Pikachu in Charge! episode. Everything was about fun and comedy and pokemons' personality.

I was kinda surprised that the pokemons that did the least were Aipom and Turtwig... maybe because they were with Brock.

Hope the summary helped you Jonessodaco.Chris . ^_^

uber gon

Accept Change
Maybe Paul is getting ready for the 3rd gym.

.Vaati.

.:Guilty Love
This was a great episode! The past few episodes have been good too.

The Fearow part with Shinji was funny. xD

I was nice to see more of Happiny. I would've liked to see more Sudowoodo though.

When I saw Pikachu ride Staravia I thought it was going to be something "thunder armor-esque". >_>;

Dax

Legend
Maybe Paul is getting ready for the 3rd gym.

Well, Fearow will be great for the 3rd gym if it is the Maylene one. But then again, look at Azumarril in the first gym.

Anyway, Emo Pachi made me melt and Buneary was just the cutest thing I have seen in this episode.

Still it's weird to see Happiny with Super Strength.^_^

Sparkleo

Low on power...
~As always, Pikachu and Buneary make the cutest couple.
~Happiny is surprisingly strong for a baby pokemon.
~Dawn and Crogunk FTW!
~Poor Paul. I almost feel sorry for him being constantly interrupted/distracted. Almost...
~Pikachu looked really awesome standing on that hill and waiting to attack TR. I'm not sure why, but that's one's opinion... http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v137/P-Bodi/147d7629.jpg

Last edited:

Dogasu

Frustrated Elf
Jonessodaco.Chris said:
lol so i dont excactly get it... cause all i get is pictures and your ^^^ synopsis is wayyy to long to read lol can somebody just some up what went down and whats the deal with this coin thing

So I take it reading's not one of your hobbies, then? Because that synopsis I posted is far from being "long."

Korobooshi Kojiro

Funnnngaaaaa
Watching this episode, I realized how "real" the team feels in episodes like these.

I mean, the 3 humans and Pokemon feel so close this season, like one big dysufunctional family.

Geodude

Indeed, these rare situations where the gang's Pokemon obey other main characters instead of their trainers are always neat. I think the last time we saw that was Ash using Lombre to battle just before it evolved.
~Happiny is surprisingly strong for a baby pokemon.[/url]
We knew that already, but it's nice to see that it hasn't been forgotten. It was so cute how it helped the others.

Last edited:

Gaiash

Champion Scientist
Everyone who wanted Ash to catch Buizel must have made alittle smile seeing Ash command it in battle.

Dax

Legend
I do agree this is the first time it feels that all the pokemons and the humans are a big family. A weird, awkward, sexy family.^_^

S.Suikun

Thank you, SPPf! :)
This bullet-style review is brought to you by MukuJESUS - the supernatural force you turn to on your deathbed.

- Hikari: "Hurry! I've got to get to the nearest Pokemon Center before my period starts!"
- Game Elitists: "WTF? Poison Jab has 100% accuracy! Stupid writers!"
- Random Kanto rock Pokemon we've seen a bazillion times before are so much more exciting than Nosepass and Probopass, eh, guys?
- Brock uses the power of Christ (i.e. Mukubird) to seek out the other disciples.
- Sudowoodo: "I like, gotta pee, like, reeeeeally badly, like, totally, dudes!"
- Mukubird brings Brock to the Tree of Knowledge, from which a naked Pikachu and the other naked Pokes are eating its forbidden flower fruit.
- Team Rocket has captured Jesus, and now they're going to crucify him!
- The Passion of the Mukubird - produced by Kotobuki TV.
- Haha YES, they're using my favorite Movie 9 track (the one where Ash is carrying the crystal)
- Pikachu saves Jesus from temptation, who returns to lead his disciples.
- One has to wonder if the Coin Toss application will ever actually be used again.

Sorry guys, I'm in the midst of studying for a religion test, so I have that stuff on the brain right now. All-in-all a decent "for fun" filler, but nothing quite as entertaining as "Pikachu's in Charge". As stated, it was nice to see the Pokemon interact with the cast members who weren't their own trainers for once.

Crystal Clair

CopyPaste from Bulbagarden reply

This was definitely worth the trouble getting this episode.

This episode was awesome without Shinji. With Shinji, it just got better. It rocked with the two game songs at the end of the ep, with the Route 210, 215, 211, 214, 222, 223 song playing almost completely and with the route Route 206,207,208 playing. I love to hear game music played in real instruments.

I also loved
MukuBird
Greggle
Hikari
Ash
Shinji getting annoyed (I can really relate to him there)
and the interesting animation
This must be one of those easier to sub episodes because I understood almost half of what they said in this episode.
9.5/10

I also totally dig the 3d they use to animate Mitsuhoney in Oak's lecture. It was 3d yet celshaded which I dont find too often
Maybe I'll get that episode too.

Jonessodaco.Chris

Is Back Finally!
So I take it reading's not one of your hobbies, then? Because that synopsis I posted is far from being "long."

lol yah i hate reading... lol but thanks to all those who posted... yah i was just curious if paul actually caught the fearow but i guess not

MechaBulba

King of the Monsters
After only looking at the epsiode pictures this looks Like a Good and fun episode! I normally always like the episodes heavy on the main teams pokemon. And this series has been great for it, aswell as the main pokemon interacting with each other!

A few Points:
-Why would Paul want a Fearow when he has a perfectly gd Mukurow that we know his going to be keepiong around?
- The Pokemon pairing was well done. With Ash getting a mixed bag and Dawn with the frog (I 4get its english name)
- Its gd it was not too heavy on standard rock types. AGAIN!
- Will the coin toss be used in an upcoming capture maybe?
- Did Ash show any concern at Mukubird being takern or exspress any joy when he got it back?