• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

A Means to an End; Sign-Ups

Universe Chaser

Trust me, I'm a cop.
Edited, elaborating more on powers and weaknesses.

gmoyes

Nerd and Proud of it
Name: Alex Morgan

Species: Witch though that might be the proper term for him, He hates being called one.

Faction and Job: A forensic scientist for the Government

Appearance: He looks like a steriotypical nerd. He's short, has glasses and besides wearing a labcoat in the lab, he doesn't care what he's wearing. The only reason he isn't a human is because he knows a little magic. So unless you could sence magic in someone, he would be impossible to pick out in a crowd. He has his medium lenght brown hair unstyled and usually in a bedhead. He's right handed though he always wears his plain steel witch on his right hand.

Personality: Alex also acts like a steriotypical nerd. He has an IQ over 150 and would rather spend his time on computers than with other people. However he will help other when needed.

History: He grew up with his human father out in rural Canada. His mother was a witch but she disappeared when he was young so he never learned about magic. At least, until a friend of his mom's showed up.

Powers:

Other:

I'll finish this later sorry.

Pokefan0234

Ka-Ra-Tay!
@treespyro - Penelope sounds like she'd make a great addition on a Special Agent team. I would like to know why she has trouble with physical activities. Anyways, Accept-a-mundo!

@Universe_Chaser - Ah, that clears a lot of things up. Thank you for adding all that info. ^_^

Since I can't update the first post, I'll add the updated info and lists here for anyone who wants a reference:

~Accepted People~

Reserves:
digipoke1-June 26th
gmoyes - June 26th
wayjun - June 26th
shadow zoroark - June 26th

Supernatural Response Team:
Lucienne Bellefleur (Vampire, Supervisory Agent)--> Musical Mayhem
Lester Putzkanner (Goblin, Special Agent)--> Universe Chaser
Penelope Gallen (Human, Special Agent)--> treespyro

Blood Bandits:
Scer (Shade, Messenger)--> Pokefan0234
leaf vesselius (Woodland Elf, Assassin)--> lawmaster

Freelancers:
Lost (Fleshing)--> Niihyl

~New Playable Species~

Goblin powers are not quite supernatural; they are more accurately described as superhuman. They can’t control darkness, or shoot lasers from their eyes. What they can do, though, is very useful. They are incredibly strong (even if their appearance suggest otherwise). Even a weak goblin can snap necks like toothpicks. They never tire, and they never grow old. One could order a goblin to do the exact same task until the end of time, and they would do it without needing any breaks. Because of this, humans usually keep goblins uneducated (with the exception of Lester and few others), so that they do not grow unsatisfied with their lives. By nature, goblins are subservient to their master, and expect nothing in return. What humans consider slavery is considered a wonderful life by many goblins. This undying loyalty allows goblins to do many death defying things without fear, if they are to please their master. Furthermore, goblins heal very quickly, and feel little to no pain. Conventional weapons are no way to kill a goblin, as they will heal every time one readies a second shot. Goblins have a very tough hide that is resistant to fire, shock, severe cold, and few weaker stabbing weapons.

Because of this, people make use of goblins’ natural weaknesses. Simple things like table salt and tomatoes burn their skin off if a goblin comes in contact with them. Furthermore, weapons with silver ammunition act on goblins like conventional weapons are to humans. The wounds won't heal quickly, and if shot or stabbed in vital areas, the goblin will die. In the modern era, it has been found that if weapons fire rapidly enough, the goblin won't have enough time to heal themselves before other shots come, so firing rapidly at a goblin in the same area can build up enough injury to seriously hurt them. As goblins are demons of a sort, anything holy wards them off. They can't set foot in synagogues, churches, or mosques, they can't touch crosses without their skin peeling off, and drinking holy water would boil their insides, or act like acid on their outsides.

(Check the first post for information on other supes.)

ironknight42

Ok just a heads up this is a in-depth sign up so yeah, pokefan if Dyrnwyn seems overpowered or the wind manipulation seems slightly excessive than that can easily be changed. Just made him Freelancer because it fits his character he was going to be part of the Supernatural Response Team but Penelope was accepted so I went for a Freelancer approach, did not want to over power one group, or steal a regular humans thunder...

Name: Desmond Walsh

Species: Supe/Witch

Faction and Job: Freelancer

Appearance: Desmond stands at an acceptable 6’1” tall and is uncharacteristically skinny for someone his age, the initial impression his physique gives off is of a graceless and somewhat sickly man who appears to have never left adolescence. His hair is the color of milk chocolate, and is unkempt keeping with his youthful appearance; the hair itself is kept fairly short though so as to not stand out. The tone of his skin is fair, but unmarked by freckles adding to the impression of paleness, when performing magic “circuits” appear on his body namely his hands and forearms, the circuits do vary in color based on the magic. The last physical trait, that is readily noticeable on first examination is the fact that his irises are a light blue, and are what some would call ‘piercing’, but in a world full of ‘supes’ it seems pretty ordinary.

Desmond’s dress seems pretty regular by ‘supe’ standards, he wears a dark grey button up shirt, tucked into a pair of black dress pants. The pants are held up by a near indistinguishable black belt but it is held together by a silver belt buckle shaped like a Welsh dragon. Over the button up shirt he wears a black sports coat; he then keeps a pistol within a shoulder holster concealed beneath the jacket. Suspended on his left shoulder he usually carries around a very old looking brown leather satchel, which is in truth the bag of Manannan Mac Lir. His typical foot wear is a somewhat scuffed up pair of black dress shoes. Finally, he always wears a silver Celtic cross on a chain around his neck.

All dress cloths are an effort to look official, and keep up with ‘regular’ appearences; realistically in battle he would quickly shed his sport coat if he even were to wear it out into the field. Oddly out of sheer eccentricity he wears a pair of rectangular glasses, because they make him appear to be more astute, he sheds them in combat as well.

Personality: Desmond is really something of an odd ball, but what do you expect out of a human who can use magic. Flying in the face of his own difficulties with magic, he is confident in his magical abilities so long as he is wielding one of his swords, and sometime to the point of cockiness. He is well informed on most magical topics and is able to identify most ‘supes’ particularly those who have found their way into Western myth, he believes his intelligence is one of the ways he can gain an upper hand on most ‘supes’. In order to do this he acts weak when battles start so as to bring forth the hubris within ‘supes’ and hopefully get them to behave recklessly, giving him the upper hand. He attempts to behave as a totally unaware human or more commonly an utterly incompetent witch. If his strategy fails, he will quickly return to his more calculated self. As a disclaimer though he is not a genius, he only knows things because he has made a concerted effort to investigate things.

Up to now I have only mentioned Desmond’s battle related behaviors, so now for how he interacts with others outside of the battle field. His powers have had little psychological effect on him; he does not have to deal with the implications of things like having to consume human blood (ie. Vampire) in order to live, his power is an inherited trait with no true down side. He sympathizes with the dilemmas of most ‘supes’, but underneath it all is a belief that humans and their magical counterparts witches have the ability to surpass ‘supes’ (via technology or magic). Desmond may be calculated, but he is also somewhat reclusive favoring very small groups or working alone, he works poorly in large group dynamics periodically ending in hilarious results. Everything is treated in a business like fashion by him so as not to draw attention. Finally it is worth saying the Desmond is proud of his heritage and the magical blood that flows in his veins, despite that fact that it is diluted by generations of breeding among non-witches. He reveres mankind’s rich history and achievements, and he desires to become a hero for mankind and leave his mark on the world. Combating the Blood Bandit who has shaken up the supernatural world, is his most recent attempt to ‘become a hero’.

History: Desmond was born in north-west Wales, to what would be considered a fairly regular family. His mother possessed no magic potential, but was enlightened to the fact that his father was a witch. The magical potential of his father was barely exploited allowing him to perform what would be called paltry tricks (for example lighting a candle without fire or stirring the surface of a pond, or freezing a cup of water). Interest in magic was minimal, his father never pursued exploiting his powers further it is likely his potential was almost as low as Desmond and he was the result of a similar situation, where a child was produced without concern for potential. While living in Wales with his family he was instilled with pride in his Celtic culture, which unlike his magic one was unbroken. At the age of seven his family moved to the United States and rural Vermont.

Desmond was a secluded child with limited interaction due to being home-schooled until the high school, in the mean while he immersed himself in the literary and historical traditions of the world, most of all Celts, he began to idolize heroes such as Arthur and Cu Cuchulainn. It was also during this time that he began to show latent magic potential the likes of which his parents thought he would not have; albeit still weak it was worlds better than expected. His father taught him what little he could, but he was soon left to his own devices as far as developing his own magic abilities. It was during his early teenage years that he truly began to push his limits and expand his powers, discovering a competence in the manipulation of wind.

When he went off to high school he came off as pretty eccentric, he continued to be talented in literature and history, but he could not manage math at all, always just scraping by, he has some misgivings about not putting more effort into it and not just focusing on English and history. It was also during this time he cultivated a skill in speaking French, to add on to his limited knowledge of Welsh learned from his parents. While staying relatively secluded he made a handful of steadfast friends, whom he still periodically chats with. After graduation Desmond left Vermont and spent some time in the Chubot Valley in Argentina which has a Welsh tradition, there he honed his powers further, but he discovered his limits and decided that he needed a means of acquiring greater power, so he set out to find mythic weapons that would aid him, namely Fragarach. He returned to the British Isles to search for such weapons that had appeared in the myth that he so loved, during this time he was forced to work as an appraiser usually of things like furniture to make money but occasionally something of historical interest would pop up much to his delight. It was in that manner that he found Fragarach (further explained in Fragarach summary). At this point he set out around the world working for anyone who would pay dealing with ‘evil spirits’ and which were really rogue ‘supes’ they were usually not much, whether or not they were just playing pranks or were generally malicious. It was during this time that he heard of the Blood Bandit and his violent escapades; he is now being put up in a hotel by a superstitious but wealthy old man who wants him to ‘exorcise’ spirits from his house, which he abandoned until it can be resolved. In truth Desmond is trying to discover the nature of the Blood Bandit and stop the reveal by any means necessary, if ‘supes’ were revealed his business would be ruined and let’s be honest he wants to get all the glory and be a hero and this is just the right chance.

Powers: Desmond is a witch, so he does possess magical powers, but his magic potential is substandard due to lack of genetic purity. The way to achieve greater potential is two strong witches procreating; their child will be at least near in magical strength if not greater which is the goal. This said unlike most witches he has pushed the limits of his magic as far as they can go, to push them any further would be hazardous destroying his body and risking damage to his ‘magic circuits’. In order to compensate for this weakness he utilizes artifacts usually weapons to enhance his fighting capacity to one comparable to other witches. His elemental focus is primarily based upon wind were he possesses the highest competence he is also slightly competent in the use of water and fire. Stronger spells take time to perform and incantations or a command word are often necessary. There is a finite quantity of magic he can use at a given period of time, highly rapid or high power magic will burn him out. The ways to regain magic is to just wait, eat, or sleep.

Wind: His powers with wind entail the ability to unleash strong gusts of wind even without supplement(albeit with difficulty); it is the only type of magic he can use competently without some kind exterior enhancement.

Fire: He cannot produce fire out of nowhere as other witches are known to be able to do, he must have an existing source, and he can do little to expand its size or intensity once he has it. The amount of fire he can control is also finite, so picture a nice roaring camp fire (not a bon fire) that is about how much he can control and that much will strain him.

Artifacts and Armament:

Fragarach: The sword itself in contained within an ornate black scabbard with silver designs on it, the hilt is cross shaped and has a white wrap on it, and an emerald in the pommel; it is around 2’6” long and is silver in color(since being refurbished).

Its powers enable anyone with even a small amount of magic to awaken the sword upon which it bestows wind manipulation, this is used as a source of mobility reduction reducing slower weaker ‘supes’ incapable of movement and slowing all but the mightiest ‘supes’ to a manageable speed. Its other uses are enhancing projectiles power and the physical force of the strikes by having them be propelled by jets of air. As per tradition the sword is also capable of piercing all but the greatest defenses (in order to pierce harder things magic must be expended the harder it is the more magic) when it is used as an armor piercer the entire blade will glow a light green getting it to that degree of power also takes time and incantation.

In Irish mythology, Fragarach, known as 'The Answerer' or 'The Retaliator', was the sword of Manannan mac Lir and Lugh Lamfada. Forged by the gods, Manannan wielded it as his weapon before passing it on to Lugh (his foster son). It was given to Cúchulainn by Lugh, and later to Conn of the Hundred Battles. It appears to disappear, from history at that point with the death of Conn at the hands of Tipraite Tírech. Now I take liberty and say that it passed down through time as far as Hugh O’Neill last Earl of Tyrone, though perceived to be a regular sword. Deemed near useless due to it requiring a small amount of magic energy to awaken, it was invariably taken by a servant who thought it of value (this is following the flight of earls). It than passed through the hands of various collectors, Desmond sought it out and found it in the possession of an Irish businessman, who had inherited it from his father. He purchased it for a relatively small fee equaling a few thousand euros.

Bag of Manannán mac Lir: Appears in Manannan at Play, within the bag in the story is contained a rabbit, a dog, and a servant so it can hold a lot but it is not infinite, it reduces the weight be a factor of ten so ten pounds will only feel like one. Within it is Fragarach four pounds just for the sake of discussion. I only use this because who the heck carries around a sword in public, it is more than a little suspicious, so it needs to stay hidden, thus this bag. It is an old brown leather satchel, like Indiana Jones' or something similar.

Pistol: .44 Auto Mag pistol is a large caliber semi-automatic pistol. It has 8 shots, and if you want to compare it to something it fires at a velocity close to that of the .44 Magnum. Used to shoot unfriendly ‘supes’ pretty.

Other:
-Carries a set of gloves in his back pant pocket to conceal his use of magic in public
-Has a nice baritone singing voice, not that he will ever sing for anyone

Last edited:

Pokefan0234

Ka-Ra-Tay!
@ironknight - Ookay... I said that you could have a sword, not all of the swords you mentioned. Either way, you have too many powers and gadgets. I will allow you to keep your spells, but otherwise, you may only have two of the artifacts you listed, and almost of which can be a sword. Pending for now.

ironknight42

I assume there are no problems beyond the powers? I removed Dyrnwyn, because Fragarach was the main sword any how and goes with the primary wind element. I also removed Bran Galed cause it was just put in there for fun. I left that bag in there because it would be wierd having a sword on your hip in public. I assume the gun does not count as an artifact so I left it there. Sorry if I got carried away with the mythic weapons I'm just really into that stuff. Heres hoping thats what you were looking for if not specify away and I will do my best to correct it.

Pokefan0234

Ka-Ra-Tay!
@ironknight - My apologies... I've been a bit busy with some things, as so I wasn't able to give your SU a real, thorough look-at until now. Anyways...

Circuits and swords, hm? Heh, Desmond reminds me of something out of Tron. ^_^ I like how you've incorporated his powers into his appearance, (and how he's a guy, seeing as most witches... well, aren't.) Your personality is a bit confusing, though it's mostly just the organization of it than the actual content. As for powers... well, since you took out enough of the artifacts, I'll say that they're fine. Anyway, you are Accept-a-mundo!

Edit: Also, for all you reserve-holders out there... your reserves have expired! (Here is the new list, for anyone who wants to know.)

~Accepted People~

Reserves:
None

Supernatural Response Team:
Lucienne Bellefleur (Vampire, Supervisory Agent)--> Musical Mayhem
Lester Putzkanner (Goblin, Special Agent)--> Universe Chaser
Penelope Gallen (Human, Special Agent)--> treespyro

Blood Bandits:
Scer (Shade, Messenger)--> Pokefan0234
leaf vesselius (Woodland Elf, Assassin)--> lawmaster

Freelancers:
Lost (Fleshing)--> Niihyl
Desmond Walsh (Witch)--> ironknight42

Last edited:

Kiruria

La Melancolie Noir
Well, just today I finally worked up the courage to check the RPG Signup Forum once more. I just love to write and play with my characters too much to avoid it. ^_^ And wow, I am impressed. I must admit, I once thought of coming up with an RPG similar to this, vampires and all. But now I won't need to! With a fond interest in magic, I am definitely signing up for this RPG if I can.

Drat, it's after midnight where I am. Looks like I'll have to write the signup tomorrow. Fortunately it's a character I've used before, so it shouldn't take too long. My character will be a member (or wannabe member) of the SRA, and will be a witch with more of a psychic focus powers-wise. For some reason I can't imagine characters of any race that doesn't even look human being SRA members...

EDIT: Aww drat, there's already a male witch who grew up in Wales! ...Would you mind a similar character in the SRA? Though he is my first choice of character, I do have another character idea. She is a warrior and spellcaster of an ocean-dwelling species I made up myself, and would be a freelancer with heroic intentions. I guess I'll think about it...

...Yes, this is a reserve, in case I didn't imply it well enough.

Last edited:

Musical Mayhem

~Simple and Clean~
Hey everybody, I'm back! This post basically says, no I haven't read your sign-ups yet, (however I did scan over them), but I will do that and then edit the information into this post. Also, I'll edit the first post accordingly.

Kiruria Hah, yeah, you posted at 3:18 a.m. my time, at which I was soundly sleeping. I wouldn't mind similar characters, in fact, if they're the same species, they should be pretty similar. And yay for more SRA people! I think we'll have enough for a whole team soon...

Which brings me to my next important announcement. If, within the next week, we don't get enough sign-ups to proceed with the team idea, I'm going to give everyone the option of creating their own teams. The sign-ups wouldn't have to be quite as intense for a second (third and fourth in some cases as well) character, but they should still be of a nice quality. We'll see how it plays out.

And here we have it! The EDIT! (Yes, I know these are totally out of order).

ironknight42:

...when performing magic “circuits” appear on his body namely his hands and forearms, the circuits do vary in color based on the magic.

I agree with Pokefan on this one, Desmond definitely reminds me of Tron.

In order to do this he acts weak when battles start so as to bring forth the hubris within ‘supes’ and hopefully get them to behave recklessly, giving him the upper hand.

Excellent strategy there sir.

He sympathizes with the dilemmas of most ‘supes’, but underneath it all is a belief that humans and their magical counterparts witches have the ability to surpass ‘supes’ (via technology or magic).

Interesting, I like that. Desmond’s reasoning is certainly heading down an interesting path.
Combating the Blood Bandit who has shaken up the supernatural world, is his most recent attempt to ‘become a hero’.

Ah, a freelancer who’s against the Blood Bandit. I wonder how he feels about the SRA?
The ways to regain magic is to just wait, eat, or sleep.

Amen to that.
Appears in Manannan at Play, within the bag in the story is contained a rabbit, a dog, and a servant so it can hold a lot but it is not infinite, it reduces the weight be a factor of ten so ten pounds will only feel like one.

Like Hermoine’s bag in Harry Potter! *shot*

Anyways, I really like your character. You have a nice balance of weapons and magic, which is good for a witch. A pretty stuck-up witch at that, who is right to not like the Blood Baron.... he’s not too fond of witches. I agree with everything Pokefan says in her assessment of you as well. Good job.

gmoyes:

Finish your sign-up please! I want a forensic scientist!

Universe_Chaser:
His skinny chicken legs make people wonder why he doesn’t topple over.
That gave me the funniest little visual.

To make up for this unfortunate appearance, Les puts a great deal of effort into personal hygiene. His nails are always perfectly filed and he brushes his teeth four times a day when he can. What’s left of his hair is neatly combed every morning, and Les is always cleanly shaven. However, this does little to help him.

I like this little quirk quite a lot. It’s sort of the opposite of what you’d think of when you think of goblins.
Lester has worn the same exact suit to work every day for over 15 years

I think you mean five sir. The SRA’s only existed for five years (2006-2011), which you mention in your history, so I’m assuming you just typo-ed here.
He’s always going out of his day to bring little gifts to coworkers, always smiling, and knows everyone’s name. He spends his entire life giving, and expects nothing in return.

He sounds like quite a sweet guy, I wonder how he stayed that way after all of that warfare?

Lester was never born, so much as he was called into being.

We have quite a lot of critters without birthdays, don’t we?

Lester served Klaus and his descendants for hundreds of years, passed down from generation to generation. Some of his masters treated him better than others, but he was a slave to all of them. He didn’t even have a name; he was just “Goblin.” However, Lester wasn’t unhappy; this was the only life he knew, and he felt like this was his niche. Goblins naturally feel comfortable being subservient, so this was no surprise.

And that explains how he stayed a sweet guy.
Finally, the French army, realizing that they could not kill him, captured him and threw him into solitary confinement in a salt mine in one of their colonies in Mali. Unable to escape (because salt corrodes goblin skin), Lester festered in that prison for decades.

Poor Lester! At least the French army actually did something right... (shot again) I wonder how Luce feels about that, since both of these guys were alive and kicking during World War I.
In a very covert operation, Lester was broken out and taken directly to the Director, who he began shouting at in German.

A goblin, huh, she thought. I know how to deal with goblins.

In perfect German, she began: “The year is 2006. Your master has been dead for decades. I am your new master. What’s your name, soldier?”

“Goblin,” he replied.

“Not anymore. You need to blend in with humans. Hiding is not as simple as it once was. You will now be known as Lester Putzkanner.”

You pretty much nailed the Director there. She was a crafty son of a gun back then, she would’ve done anything to get more supes to her cause.
They can’t control darkness, or shoot lasers from their eyes.

That line actually made me laugh out loud.
Furthermore, weapons with silver ammunition act on goblins like conventional weapons are to humans. The wounds won't heal quickly, and if shot or stabbed in vital areas, the goblin will die.

Ah, good old silver bullets.
As goblins are demons of a sort, anything holy wards them off. They can't set foot in synagogues, churches, or mosques, they can't touch crosses without their skin peeling off, and drinking holy water would boil their insides, or act like acid on their outsides.

Ick.

I really like Lester, he’s a nice dude with an ugly skin and an ugly past, but he’s still a good (and clean) guy. I like that you took a nice spin off of those cliches and added your own little spin on it. I also like that you gave him enough weaknesses despite the fact that his thick skin is resistant to so many things.

treespyro:

A Human! I’m kind of glad somebody’s playing that side of things. I wasn’t expecting anybody to play a human, unless it was (maybe) a hunter.
She has medium length Bright copper red hair.... 
....The skirt is a Pleated skirt so it has a lot of folds.

Those random capitalizations are the only mistakes I found in your appearance. Other than that, I really like her appearance.
however she does strike up challenges to prove her worth even in the most unnecessary situations which causes a lot of problems with people around her.

Oh dear, that’s not very safe, especially for a human surrounded by supes. I predict Ms. Penelope might get herself into trouble in the future.

which is also why she is a complete idiot and a ditz.

How the heck did she get into a government agency as a complete idiot? o_O Well, I guess I’ll find out.
She is a girl that in a group works in the background and is just there but alone she gives the impression that she is very passionate with her work even though she doesn't really have the intelligence to the rest of her co-workers.

Oh good, she won back an “I got hired by a government agency” point right there. Passion is important.
Penelope was happy to work even though she did wonder why they picked her out of all the possible people.

I’d be glad to come up with a reason for that if you’d like. Seriously, I’m sure Director had a reason, as I mentioned in Universe Chaser’s bit, she’s a crafty little thing.

The only thing I feel a little unsure of is how did she find out about the supernatural? Something to do with her father’s job perhaps? Other than that, i admire that you for playing a human in this jumbled up little world.

wajun, shadow_zoroark You guys can re-new your reservations if you want, just be aware that they will once again expire in a week.

Last edited:

Universe Chaser

Trust me, I'm a cop.
Oh, yeah, I forgot to edit our the 15 years part. I initially forgot that part about how long the organization has existed, then edited all parts out that didn't agree during History. Didn't notice that I also mentioned it in his Description.

Corrosion

Hello Kitty =/= Cat
Oops. I guess I procrastinated too long. Re-reserve please?

Kiruria

La Melancolie Noir
Musical Mayhem said:
If, within the next week, we don't get enough sign-ups to proceed with the team idea, I'm going to give everyone the option of creating their own teams.
This is music to my ears! Turns out my character is already part of a team--it will just be a question of whether to involve the rest of that team in this RPG.

Er-hem, onto my signup. With magic being my own fondest passion, I am proud to say that this is my favourite of all my RPG characters. And this is the first RPG in which I get to officially make him psychically gifted. However, I'm teetering on the issue of whether he should be a witch or a wizard... maybe a witch with some wizard characteristics (not to mention name)? Oh well, I just hope he's not too overpowered or something. Please let me know if anything seems out of place.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Name: Vincent "Merlin" Estrel
Species: Supe (Witch)
Faction/Job: SRA Special Agent

Appearance: Merlin is definitely the short and slender type, standing barely above five feet tall, his skin taking on a light tan hue. His eyes are a dull marble green in colour, so they don't stand out by themselves. What makes them stand out is the bright green eyeshadow he puts on. And then there's his hair. It's straight and black and in a low ponytail that reaches to the middle of his back, but there are a few shorter wisps on the sides of his face. If he wears his hair down when out in public, that's not a good sign--it means he's grieving over something, or in rarer cases, depressed. Yet despite this rather odd appearance, he still comes across as calm and amiable--or at least he tries to.

Outfit-wise, Merlin likes to be different and stylish. The coat he usually wears is a fine example of this. It's purple as a plum on the outside and with pink satin on the inside, and green trim on the pockets and sleeves. The coat reaches down to his knees, and in the back it tapers off as if into tails. It fits him snugly, and is fastened by way of a little silver chain. The rest of his current outfit is comparably simpler: a light green shirt underneath the coat, and a pair of deep teal trousers. Attached to one of the belt loops is a little zippered bag in which he keeps some of his smaller and more fragile belongings--this bag is normally hidden under his coat. On his feet are gray leather shoes that come almost to a tip at the toe. He wears two rings on the fingers of his right hand: one with an amethyst stone and one with a ruby one, both with runes on them.

And finally, since he's in the SRA, he has to wear a pin identifying himself as a witch. The pin is nothing special: a two-inch-wide purple circle with a black witch's hat on it. However, he only wears this pin when he absolutely has to--that is, while meeting with SRA officials (otherwise he just keeps it in his pocket). Rather than proudly proclaim himself as a government agent, he prefers to remain humble and independent and just be himself.

Personality: Merlin picked his nickname for a good reason--he is in fact a wizard in his own right. This erudite individual enjoys old legends and lore, and loves to read in general. Fantasy novels and books pertaining to supernatural topics particularly fascinate him. However, he doesn't pursue knowledge as much as he pursues wisdom. Knowledge may provide facts about the world, but wisdom explains how and why things work, and therefore knowledge is useless without it. So rather than pay attention to facts and details, Merlin tries to grasp the general idea and feeling of something, the very basic fundamentals.

Naturally, Merlin is highly spiritual in nature. This spirituality, aided by his fondest penchant for magic, makes him very open-minded and sensitive to others' feelings and opinions. He's not one to judge or criticise someone for who they are or what they do, unless maybe the person is doing something highly evil or dangerous. Being a witch means appreciating the harmony among all living things, respecting all walks of life, vowing to harm none, and realising that everything is connected. The connection part especially resonates with him. Unlike the stereotypical man, he hates competition and hierarchy, preferring to treat everyone as equals. Arguments act as deterrents for him, and he prefers the kinds of games where everybody wins or the stakes are low.

For the most part, Merlin has a calm and friendly nature. Being an extrovert, he isn't shy about starting a conversation with someone. In such a conversation, he acts in a polite and somewhat formal manner no matter who he's talking to, but his somewhat mystical tone of voice and the unidentifiable accent in which he speaks tends to give him problems with relating to people. He also enjoys making witty remarks and embellishing an answer to a question, but he'll tone it down if he notices some jealousy in the other person. Another thing he likes to do is offer advice and guidance to people. If someone is in distress, he will do his very best to comfort them. In a team like those in the SRA, he takes on the role of healer and advisor.

But while it is true that Merlin is rather proud of his beliefs, he doesn't consider them to be superior to anyone else's. He likes to be eclectic, and accepts that the different can be beautiful. In fact, when around others, he adapts a bit to their emotional state and mannerisms. All this seems to arise from his awareness that some people view witches as devil worshippers, so he takes measures to prove those people wrong. In fact, due to having had bad experiences with certain witch-haters, nowadays he's very hesitant about revealing his identity as a witch to muggles. He silently laments the differences between witches like him and the normal humans he interacts with on a regular basis, and really wishes for a world where muggles and supes can get along peacefully.

Now for the fun facts! Although Merlin has been accused of being homosexual, he isn't. Quite the contrary, he pays more attention to young ladies than anyone else, due to a rather high sex drive. In turn, he acts more polite and caring than usual around them, and draws less attention to himself. Despite social pressures, he readily expresses his emotions, especially during a conversation. And the things he's most afraid of are pain and violence--it's no wonder he prefers not to fight when conflict arises.

History: For many years, Vincent had no idea he was a witch. He lived with human parents, had human friends, and interacted with "muggles" on such a daily basis that he would have never suspected it. Well, maybe. His parents worked in the field of paranormal research, and young Vincent learned many things about the ways of magic and the supernatural from coming to their meetings on occasion. They also moved from place to place a lot. He was born in Italy, but the family moved to Wales when he was only three. And then they moved to America when he was eleven, and Ireland some time after that. But let's not get too far ahead of ourselves...

While living in Wales, Vincent was a chubby little boy who was quiet and timid around people. He was peaceful and complacent, never thinking to start fights with anyone. Humble and naive, he had no reason to use the powers he didn't know he had, not even accidentally. All his childhood he remained a muggle who didn't know his true identity. The peculiar thing, though, is that he didn't bother speaking up about the fact that he kept seeing colours around people. Perhaps he thought that everyone saw the world that way and didn't bother questoning it.

During the move to the US, Vincent's parents reassured him that even if things were completely unfamiliar and he couldn't find any friends, he still had them for support and guidance. Fortunately though, the neighbours had three sons, which Vincent ended up spending quite a bit of time with. He was surprised how much they accepted him, for being from such a faraway place. But the peculiar thing about them was that they were a slightly mischievous bunch, enjoying sneaking around town and stealing stuff. At first Vincent thought negatively of this idea, but after realising that they strove to avoid acts of violence, he felt as an accepted member of the group. Their most memorable feats were an adventure through a house believed to be haunted, and a successful raiding of an electronics store after closing hours. Growing quite close to each other, they gave themselves a "gang name": the Black Cat Bandits.

Additionally, the Black Cat Bandits gave themselves individual nicknames at this time. So the eldest member was Halberd, a prospective mechanic who liked to collect swords. The youngest was Warren, the cute hippie who lived in a cartoon world. The "leader" of the group was Lupin, an experienced thief with a dark past. Vincent decided to give himself the nickname Merlin, as it fit his wizardly persona. Merlin never became truly comfortable with the Black Cat Bandits' thieving practices, preferring to scout and spy on places.

Puberty does the oddest things to children growing up. In many witches' case, magic tends to leak out of the adolescents with little control, and it's at that time when those who don't know they're witches discover what they can truly do. And the change in figure and behaviour weakens that control even further. Yes, this is what happened to Merlin. Most notably, this was when he noticed that his ability to see auras around people was not normal. He actually loved using his powers--for him it was the best way to truly understand magic. The only problem was as his parents said: "revealing magic to the public at this time" is unwise.

After graduating from high school, Merlin lived in a house with Lupin while going to college. The spacious living room of that house was a space called the Mystic Sanctuary. When it wasn't used for ritual purposes, it was an open, welcoming place where people could come for healing and consolation. Sometimes Merlin would read people's fortunes, and sometimes he would use his skill in reading and working with the aura to heal them He even hosted holiday parties (mainly for Easter, Christmas Yule, and Halloween) which became quite popular with the children in the neighbourhood. Here he had to be careful to avoid truly revealing magic to the muggles. For a while, he was doing just fine with that...

During this time, Merlin had managed to find a girlfriend: a musician named Ashleigh. He loved Ashleigh dearly, but that would become his carelessness: he ended up revealing the ways of magic to Ashleigh by means of involving her in a healing ritual. Very much to his relief, Ashleigh promptly dismissed all this magic stuff as nonsense when she broke up with him, but he knew that was a lucky break. With a heavy heart, Merlin had to thereafter remain single. After that incident, he began to realise the benefit against expressing one's identity as a witch around muggles. Oh, how he wished that that were not true.

The only thing Merlin could do at that point was turn to his larcenous friend Lupin for help. The two teamed up for a while, working as freelance private investigators to help subdue the unfortunate criminals who weren't doing it right. While Merlin taught Lupin about the ways of magic (even though Lupin wasn't nearly as adept at using it as Merlin was), Lupin taught Merlin about such "useful practical skills" as picking a lock and utilising self-defense. It dismayed Merlin, though, that he couldn't safely mention magic around most people. But that was the way that it had to be.

Things brightened up a slight bit later on. By that time his parents, who knew about Merlin being a witch, decided that he was old enough to try joining the SRA, hoping that his time as a probie would test whether he could use his magical skills responsibly.

During his first few weeks in the SRA, he pondered whether telling the other Black Cat Bandits about the agency was a good idea. On one hand he trusted them, but on the other the agency was supposed to be a secret. Eventually trust got the better of him, but even towards the end of the year he wondered if that was a wise decision. That is, until the threat tacked onto the dead faery arrived. By that time, he had just completed his first year in the SRA and become a Special Agent. It was time for him to assist with one of the greatest supernatural threats in history... he even convinced Lupin to join the SRA and help him out. (see Lupin's signup for more info)

Powers: While most witches tend to have elementally-related powers, Merlin's powers relate to the fifth element: spirit. Specifically, the realm of psychic abilities. The first ability Merlin knew he had allows him to see people's auras--their colour, their shape, anything about them. This can give him clues to such things as their mood, their personality, and any physical distress they might be experiencing. In some cases, he manages to pick up something the person is thinking, but the thought is vague and he can't decipher any precise words in them. He can even read his own aura by looking in a mirror.

But Merlin's powers extend beyond just seeing the aura. They also involve using the aura to do various things. One of those things is moving objects without touching them. But wait, this doesn't mean that Merlin can throw a car at someone. He has a hard time lifting objects that are too heavy for him to physically carry, as well as objects that are far away from him. (Actually, all the other powers mentioned so far don't work at too great a distance either.) This prevents him from launching pencils to the moon, for example. But he is rather good at moving multiple objects at once, provided they're not too heavy all together.

The only ability of his that the distance principle doesn't apply to is the ability to form his aura into an invisible beam. While not very powerful, this beam can travel quite far, though it will disintegrate eventually. It can travel from moderately quickly to slowly, depending on what is needed. The most it can do to people is startle or signal them, but it can also push away elemental entities such as fire and smoke. I guess you can say this ability is an extension of his telekinetic abilities.

To help direct certain aspects of his abilities (especially the beam), Merlin carries around an athame--that is, a dagger used for magical purposes (and never for cutting things). But besides that, he doesn't have any real weapons, as if to prove that one doesn't need to hurt people to change the world. Since he can't carry a person, it means he can't use his telekinetic abilities on people. That leaves him with... not many ways to physically defend himself without getting wickedly creative. Oh well, he's not a fighter anyway--he's more of a healer, as I mentioned before.

Other: There remains one mystery in Merlin's life: how did his parents know that he was a witch? And with muggle parents, how did he get his powers in the first place? Merlin has been pondering these questions for quite some time now, and suspects that his parents might be hiding something from him...

Last edited:

Musical Mayhem

~Simple and Clean~
Wayjun: Re-reserved until July 5th!

Kiruria: Yes a probie! How exciting! Anyways...

It's purple as a plum on the outside and with pink satin on the inside, and green trim on the pockets and sleeves. The coat reaches down to his knees, and in the back it tapers off as if into tails. It fits him snugly, and is fastened by way of a little silver chain.

Quite an interesting apparel. Good thing he works with a bunch of "interesting" folks.

And finally, since he's in the SRA, he has to wear a pin identifying himself as a witch. The pin is nothing special: a two-inch-wide purple circle with a black witch's hat on it.

Glad you remembered the pin! Our little pin friend has been flying below the radar, I think you and I are the only two who've mentioned it (and I can't remember if I actually remembered my pin or not... hmm.)

He silently laments the differences between witches like him and the normal humans he interacts with on a regular basis, and really wishes for a world where muggles and supes can get along peacefully.

Your witch has a flipside of our dear friend ironknight's witch. That should cause some good contrast and such.

For many years, Vincent had no idea he was a witch. He lived with human parents, had human friends, and interacted with "muggles" on such a daily basis that he would have never suspected it. Well, maybe. His parents worked in the field of paranormal research, and young Vincent learned many things about the ways of magic and the supernatural from coming to their meetings on occasion.

Hmmm, interesting. How did Vincent's parents acquire him? I wonder if that was on purpose...

Fortunately though, the neighbours had three sons, which Vincent ended up spending quite a bit of time with. He was surprised how much they accepted him, for being from such a faraway place. But the peculiar thing about them was that they were a slightly mischievous bunch, enjoying sneaking around town and stealing stuff. At first Vincent thought negatively of this idea, but after realising that they strove to avoid acts of violence, he felt as an accepted member of the group. Their most memorable feats were an adventure through a house believed to be haunted, and a successful raiding of an electronics store after closing hours. Growing quite close to each other, they gave themselves a "gang name": the Black Cat Bandits.

I believe I've heard these Black Cat Bandits mentioned in one of the other RPGs I played in with you. I think Lupin was mentioned there though? Can't remember. It's nice to see them again, though.

While most witches tend to have elementally-related powers, Merlin's powers relate to the fifth element: spirit. Specifically, the realm of psychic abilities. The first ability Merlin knew he had allows him to see people's auras--their colour, their shape, anything about them. This can give him clues to such things as their mood, their personality, and any physical distress they might be experiencing. In some cases, he manages to pick up something the person is thinking, but the thought is vague and he can't decipher any precise words in them. He can even read his own aura by looking in a mirror.

That's quite a nice way of tying his abilities into the whole elemental deal. I'll take that, it works. I do love aura powers myself, but I've never quite had a good role to play with them. Oh well.

There remains one mystery in Merlin's life: how did his parents know that he was a witch? And with muggle parents, how did he get his powers in the first place? Merlin has been pondering these questions for quite some time now, and suspects that his parents might be hiding something from him...

Well I was rather wondering that myself.

Very nice work, as per usual. I really like Merlin and your take on witches and it doesn't conflict with ironknight's witch either, which is a big plus. Our dear probie friend is accepted!

Kiruria

La Melancolie Noir
Hmmm, interesting. How did Vincent's parents acquire him? I wonder if that was on purpose...

Ahahaha, interesting indeed. That mystery is something that might reveal itself as the RPG progresses.

I believe I've heard these Black Cat Bandits mentioned in one of the other RPGs I played in with you. I think Lupin was mentioned there though? Can't remember. It's nice to see them again, though.

Yes, Lupin was my character in Quista: The Guardian's Cry. A lot of my characters know each other... And if we end up having our own teams, he'll definitely be on Merlin's team!

That's quite a nice way of tying his abilities into the whole elemental deal. I'll take that, it works. I do love aura powers myself, but I've never quite had a good role to play with them. Oh well.

Well, telekinesis and telepathy count as aura powers--Merlin has a mild version of them. *points to Whiplash*

Anyway, thanks for accepting me! I am so looking forward to this RPG--it looks like it was very well thought out, not to mention very well written.

Last edited:
Hey! I'd like to reserve a place if possible (i'm going to hand craft a freelance monster/human)

Just a question though, can we use guns? (A machine gun)

Musical Mayhem

~Simple and Clean~
@Kiruria: Why thank you, it'll be a pleasure to play with you. And how could I forget about dear Whiplash?

@giratina hates shaymin: Yup, guns are certainly acceptable, they are standard issue by the government side, so it would make sense for others to have them. Reserved until July 6th.

ironknight42

Just a heads up to everyone I will have not be near a computer for 4 days, I'm taking a little jaunt to the beach. I don't think it will be problem as we are waiting on SU's, but just want to let everyone know namely the GMs.

Universe Chaser

Trust me, I'm a cop.
Hey, I've just been invited to attend a special world leadership seminar in Europe from July 4th to the 26th. If the RP starts beforehand, I give full permission to whoever's on my team to use Lester until I get back. Will that fly, Musical?

Musical Mayhem

~Simple and Clean~
Yes that will certainly fly Universe_Chaser. I'm definitely holding off at least another week ('til our current reserves expire) and possibly later if I decide to open up sign-ups for second and/or team sign-ups, so you might be fine. If not, we'll bunny Lester along. :)

lawmaster

What is that?
I will be gone 3 to 9 I am going to boy scouts so I won't even have a little access to a computer