• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

A new BT Team: Pearl Version

I'm at the BT again, but having problems. I just "lost" (aka I gave up) to a super cheap Cradily with Double Team/Toxic/Ingrain/Stockpile. To avoid situations like that in the future, I need help deciding which Pokemon to drop. What I have currently was working very well. Here they are:

;448; (F) Lucario (Jolly Nature) @Focus Sash **Lotus
EVs: 252 Attack, 252 Speed, 6 Hp
~Trait: Inner Focus~
-Close Combat
-Bullet Punch
-Crunch
-Swords Dance

She's a beast after a Swords Dance. The Focus Sash is there so I have a much better chance at getting a Swords Dance in, or attacking with Close Combat. CC always does a lot of damage, so I can try to go in for any remaining Hp on the foe with Bullet Punch. I chose Bullet Punch over Extreme Speed pretty much for the fact that no Pokemon are immune to Steel. Also, Bullet Punch has much more PP than Extreme Speed, not to mention I can get some super-effective hits in against Rock, Ice, etc. Yes, I know Close Combat hits those too. Should I drop Bullet Punch for Extreme Speed? If I do, I can't get Bullet Punch again, but the 80 Base Power of ES is pretty intriguing.

;380; (F) Latias (Timid Nature) @Life Orb **Latias
EVs: 128 Hp, 128 Sp.Attack, 252 Speed
~Trait: Levitate~
-Dragon Pulse
-Thunderbolt
-Calm Mind
-Recover

My Sp.Attacker. She covers Lucario's Fire, Fighting, and Ground weaknesses well. She can also pack a punch after a Calm Mind or two. Recover off any damage she accumulates from the foe and the Life Orb, and she's still raring to go.

;442; (F) Spiritomb (Careful Nature) @Leftovers **X-Ray
EVs: 252 Hp, 140 Attack, 116 Sp.Defense
~Trait: Pressure~
-Sucker Punch
-Shadow Sneak
-Will-O-Wisp
-Pain Split

She's my clean-up defensive Pokemon. She can take hits on both ends of the offensive spectrum. I do realize that Sucker Punch AND Shadow Sneak is a little redundant, but it can be handy. Sucker Punch just doesn't have enough PP. I could drop Shadow Sneak for Taunt if it would help. I guess that would protect my team against that Double Team/Toxic "strategy".

So rate away. Anyone I should add so I can better prepare myself for evasion and cheap wins?

Vaporeon4evr

Cyndakill
I'm at the BT again, but having problems. I just "lost" (aka I gave up) to a super cheap Cradily with Double Team/Toxic/Ingrain/Stockpile. To avoid situations like that in the future, I need help deciding which Pokemon to drop. What I have currently was working very well. Here they are:

;448; (F) Lucario (Jolly Nature) @Focus Sash **Lotus
EVs: 252 Attack, 252 Speed, 6 Hp
~Trait: Inner Focus~
-Close Combat
-Extremespeed
-Crunch
-Swords Dance

Reminds me of an Azelf lead that I use. Not much changing here. Extremespeed is usually recommended on this set bacause, as you said, Bullet Punch gets somewhat redundant coverage with Close Combat. The only Pokemon that outrun Lucario and resist Extremespeed are Gengar, Mismagius, and Aerodactyl, all of which you have covered already. So, in that respect, Extremespeed is the better option, simply because of its sheer power. The Rocks and Steels that resist it get obliterated by CC anyway.

She's a beast after a Swords Dance. The Focus Sash is there so I have a much better chance at getting a Swords Dance in, or attacking with Close Combat. CC always does a lot of damage, so I can try to go in for any remaining Hp on the foe with Bullet Punch. I chose Bullet Punch over Extreme Speed pretty much for the fact that no Pokemon are immune to Steel. Also, Bullet Punch has much more PP than Extreme Speed, not to mention I can get some super-effective hits in against Rock, Ice, etc. Yes, I know Close Combat hits those too. Should I drop Bullet Punch for Extreme Speed? If I do, I can't get Bullet Punch again, but the 80 Base Power of ES is pretty intriguing.

;380; (F) Latias (Timid Nature) @Life Orb **Latias
EVs: 128 Hp, 128 Sp.Attack, 252 Speed
~Trait: Levitate~
-Dragon Pulse
-Thunderbolt/Surf/Hidden Power Fire/Reflect
-Calm Mind
-Recover

Based on your EVs, I assume you're going for a defensive Calm Mind set? In that case, you don't need much changing. Thunderbolt is good for Gyarados, who Lucario may have a little trouble with. Surf and Hidden Power are for coverage, so that move is up to you. Reflect is if you want a little more bulk.

My Sp.Attacker. She covers Lucario's Fire, Fighting, and Ground weaknesses well. She can also pack a punch after a Calm Mind or two. Recover off any damage she accumulates from the foe and the Life Orb, and she's still raring to go.

;442; (F) Spiritomb (Careful Nature) @Leftovers **X-Ray
EVs: 252 Hp, 140 Attack, 116 Sp.Defense
~Trait: Pressure~
-Sucker Punch
-Taunt
-Will-O-Wisp
-Pain Split

Taunt guarantees Sucker Punch's success. As you pointed out, the PP is low, so it may be useful to run Shadow Sneak and Pursuit instead. But generally, Sucker Punch without Taunt is risky, because it allows a free set-up. I could imagine this going either way, so this is really up to you. I don't have much experience with Spiritomb.

She's my clean-up defensive Pokemon. She can take hits on both ends of the offensive spectrum. I do realize that Sucker Punch AND Shadow Sneak is a little redundant, but it can be handy. Sucker Punch just doesn't have enough PP. I could drop Shadow Sneak for Taunt if it would help. I guess that would protect my team against that Double Team/Toxic "strategy".

So rate away. Anyone I should add so I can better prepare myself for evasion and cheap wins?

Changes in BOLD. To avoid evasion, your only option here is to use Taunt on Spiritomb, since there aren't really any places you can throw on a no-miss move. As far as cheap wins go, that Focus Sash on Lucario could ruin OHKO-ers, but otherwise, there's no counter except for Sturdy Pokemon.

Last edited: