• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

A New Power Within

CedOmega

4570-7932-5223
A New Power Within

96px-Smeargle_XY.png
308-mega.png
645.png
479-w.png
649-w.png
711.png

Hello everyone and welcome to my newest RMT here at Serebii. Though the team is still somewhat in its developing stage, I've decided to create a team based off the popular core of Genesect and Rotom to form VoltTurn. That said, I decided to put a twist one my once famed team that featured Medicham in its Pre-Mega days. Since PokeBank has yet to come to the US/UK countries, I find myself battling more on Showdown and using Mega-Medicham nonetheless. I recently actively became involved with a guild here in the forums and contributed to making a CCAT, which this team's initial basis derived from. That being stated, many aspects about the team have been chances, such as sets, moves, etc. Anyway, I present to you A New Power Within.

•—•••—•••••—A Closer Look—•••••—•••—•

235.gif

Smeargle @ Focus Sash
Timid nature
Trait: Own Tempo
EVs: 252 Hp/ 4 SDef/ 252 Spd
0 Attk IVs
- Sticky Web
- Stealth Rock
- Magic Coat/ Parting Shot
- Spore

This generation I decided to give Smeargle a try since I refused it during the start of the B/W era. Now that I've found much use in the effectiveness of having Sticky Web support on the team, as well as needing other hazards being set onto the field, I see just how effective Smeargle's ability can be. Though Smeargle is effective, it is still a Taunt susceptible lead; which is why Magic Coat is there. Parting shot is still a work in progress due to it needing tips be tested further before given a permanent spot on the set. Spore shuts down slower opponents and allows Smeargle to either continue setting up or scout using Parting Shot.

medicham.gif.v.KpN8WMuCaZNPtwDf-Z59tQ

Medicham @ Medichamite
Jolly nature
Trait: Pure Power
EVs: 252 Attk/ 4 SDef/ 252 Speed
- High Jump Kick
- Psycho Cut
- Ice Punch
- Fake Out

Having grasped my attention during the B/W Era, Medicham simply captivated my fascination by having been given a Mega form this generation. That said, it's now base 100 Speed and Attack are far beyond appealing, coupling that with its natural ability Pure Power. Fake Out helps Medicham deal with such threats as Dragonite, whose Multiscale presents somewhat of a problem. It also break surprise Focus Sash wielders of their advantage. High Jump Kick and Psycho Cut couple together as a power dual STAB, while Ice Punch serves as a solution to Dragon types as well as hitting potential Gliscor walls hard.

landorus.gif.v.yx3k8QegHPmEVKeIZ0bmaw

Landorus-I @ Life Orb
Timid nature
Trait: Sheer Force
EVs: 4 Def/ 252 SAtk/ 252 Spd
- Earth Power
- Hidden Power Ice
- Sludge Wave
- Focus Blast

I absolutely love this Landorus. I mean, in the past generations, it was almost needed for it to be running Rock Polish or Substitute, but this Gen changed it all with the introduction of Sticky Web. This set is used because the coverage was absolutely necessary to allow it to effectively remove its new and old threats. Earth Power alone wreaks anything not resistant or immune to it, where as Hidden Power Ice covers Flying types immune to the attack. Focus Blast is a nice coverage move against Dark types like Hydreigon and Steel types such as Ferrothorn. Sludge Wave is assurance against Fairy types, more specifically Azumarill, whom has failed in the past to OHKO Landorus with Aqua Jet even after Choice Band's boost; only to be hit hard with Sludge Wave and absolutely wreaked by its massive damage. Belly Drum Azumarill also face having to decide between trying to set up or being badly hurt by an unforeseen Sludge Wave. Landorus performs as the teams mid-to-late game sweeper, so it comes in not too long after Smeargle has set up the needed hazards.

649-douse.gif

Genesect @ Choice Scarf
Hasty nature
Trait: Download
EVs: 4 Atk/ 252 SAtk/ 252 Spd
- U-Turn
- Thunderbolt
- Flamethrower
- Ice Beam

Genesect is the pain maker, so to speak. Many teams often have Heatran or Scizor, specifically to try and evade taking heavy damage from its attack, though they often fall victim to Landorus' coming in free and unscathed and firing off an attack. With Sticky Web support, Genesect fears nothing it would other wise be outsped or Speed tie with; this includes, though is not limited to, opposing Genesect, Garchomp & Jirachi. Its set is based solely on coverage, and revenging anything on the team that may faint. All the while, it mainly focuses as a scout for the team in using U-Turn. Pretty standard stuff, to be honest. Not much change in role from the previous generation's use of Genesect. VoltTurn is completed using Genesect, as it is paired with Rotom-W, just as Scizor has always commonly been.

rotom-wash.gif.v.0jqGJTVDMBzs0N036O9tBA

Rotom-W @ Chesto Berry
Modest nature
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 236 Hp/ 220 Def/ 56 SAtk
- Hydro Pump
- Volt Switch
- Will-o-Wisp/ Toxic
- Rest

Rotom-W was added soon after I noticed my team lacked a check to Talonflame, whom is very annoying to handle even with having Rotom. Its bulk is something the team really appreciates, while its ability to burn the opponent and ultimately absorb any status and Rest them off is also a plus. Its dual STABs and scouting ability made it a solid member of the team, although it was personally debated a bit with Lanturn; though it's obvious to see who won.

711.png

Gourgeist-Super @ Leftovers
Impish nature
Trait: Frisk
EVs: 252 Hp/ 4 Atk/ 252 SDef
- Shadow Sneak
- Leech Seed
- Will-o-Wisp
- Pain Split

So we come to Gourgeist finally. I've had many occasions where I've tried to replace Gourgeist on the team, but she's just a bit too bulky for others to easily remove. Gourgeist was originally added to block Spore users like Breloom from doing much of anything to my team. That said, she has surprisingly proven to be very good for the team as a versatile member. First, she lures in a lot of Fire types, meaning Leech Seed prediction is very annoying to my opponents. Talonflame and Heatran switch-ins absolutely hate being Leech Seeded and having to face a pseudo Leftovers Rotom-W while being sapped of their health. Second, Gourgeist has quite the remarkable bulk for her appearance, meaning she can take at least two if not three powerful hits and fire off a Pain Split to cause some massive recoil to the attacking opponent and making herself healthy again. Shadow Sneak is a decent STAB priority, allowing her to perhaps get some damage before maybe fainting or killing off its opponent with status or Leech Seed. The battle videos below will better explain how she functions for the team.

http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/ou-74968293
http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/ou-74970006
http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/ou-75052229

•—•••—•••••—Coming to a Close—•••••—•••—•

In closing, the team has done fairly well so far. I do, however, like to hear feedback and get maybe a few new pointers on what could further benefit the team. I've considered replacing Gourgeist with Mandibuzz for Taunt, Foul Play's heavy damage output, and her ability to phase opponents with Whirlwind. The core of Landorus, Genesect and Rotom is pretty effective thus far. Medicham is also not the issue for the team. Smeargle may even be replaceable, and I am willing to give it a try. Any suggestions are welcome and advice/changes will all be taken into consideration for the future of the team. Thanks to those whom actually took the time out to read my RMT and have a great day! :D

CedOmega

4570-7932-5223
Bump~

No suggestions? Haha.

T-Bolt

Electrifying.
Sorry for the late rate, kinda busy over the last few days >.<

One big threat I see is mega-Charizard, both forms. Normal Charizard is immune to sticky web, and manages to retain its speed. DD char-X can set up pretty easily, and can proceed to run through your team. Char-Y is just extremely powerful, and if it manages to come in safely (which it can against landorus or against a predicted move from Rotom or gene), your probably losing a member of your team. While SR does make them manageable, defog users are pretty common now.

Since Char-X is the more dangerous threat here, I suggest changing Landorus to bulky Landorus-T, which can deal with char better without disrupting the team synergy.

Also,since sticky web is going to slow your opponent down, it might be a good idea to use one of the faster Gouregeist forms, you benefit with the ability to use a faster will-o-wisp, pain split and substitute. Gouregeist-small and normal size are probably best.

CedOmega

4570-7932-5223
Sorry for the late rate, kinda busy over the last few days >.<

One big threat I see is mega-Charizard, both forms. Normal Charizard is immune to sticky web, and manages to retain its speed. DD char-X can set up pretty easily, and can proceed to run through your team. Char-Y is just extremely powerful, and if it manages to come in safely (which it can against landorus or against a predicted move from Rotom or gene), your probably losing a member of your team. While SR does make them manageable, defog users are pretty common now.

Since Char-X is the more dangerous threat here, I suggest changing Landorus to bulky Landorus-T, which can deal with char better without disrupting the team synergy.

Also,since sticky web is going to slow your opponent down, it might be a good idea to use one of the faster Gouregeist forms, you benefit with the ability to use a faster will-o-wisp, pain split and substitute. Gouregeist-small and normal size are probably best.

Eh, Charizard is somewhat of a concern. Not a huge one, but a concern nonetheless. That said, I usually tend to go spammy on Fake Out with Mega Medicham once or twice(using Smeargle as the switch in fodder) or, if it happens to not have hazards up on my team and Smeargle is untouched, I enjoy putting it to sleep with Spore. :D Mainly to be a troll and switch in Landorus to kill it off. It hasn't failed as of yet. Most people actually lead with Charizard for whatever bizarre reason when they see Smeargle, I'm guessing because of the threat and fear of Stealth Rock being set up on them and not being able to get rid of them before switching in and going Mega. To me, it's an easy Spore opportunity most of the time. If not, then Fake Out with Medicham and hope to win the speed tie, after going a Mega, the next turn. Haha. But in all seriousness, I can play around Charizard's Mega-forms quite often.

About Gourgeist, its main role is to sponge attacks as much as possible as the bulky wall all-around. It's also a decent counter to bulky non-Trick Rotom. However, I have considered trying Substitute on my Gourgeist set to allow it to not be taken down as easily by its common threats; again, Charizard being a big one. I'll try it out and see how it works. Thanks for the suggestions! :)