• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

A non-anime Pokémon Movie?

Will-powered Spriter

Pokédex Complete!
A non-anime Pokémon Movie?

Now I'm sure you've all seen that fake trailer for a live action Pokémon movie (and perhaps the more gullible of you believed it) from last month.

Well, it got me thinking about if Game Freak/Nintendo decided to make a Pokémon movie that wasn't based of the anime, what medium could it be made in? What would you want it to be like?

I personally think it could be a pixar-esque 3D animation movie centreing on the pokémon themselves, like the Mystery dungeon series in that each pokémon has a voice and a specific personality, although not nescessarily with the same plot.

Your thoughts? Discuss!

pokenutter

Warrior of Time
I would love to see either a PokeSpe movie or a Mystery Dungeon movie. The story in the games has already been used in the anime, so that can't be done properly. So, MD and PokeSpe are the best options.

swampertlover5712

True Love Never Dies
Mystery Dungeon hands down. That story has enough depth and the characters are so lovable, a movie would be cool. And, hell, if a game has me crying at the end, then that IS a good story. I'd love to see a movie!

Pinsirius

Sentimental Fool ;)
Bandai already tried a CG-heavy monster-only series for Digimon. I could barely watch it it seemed so souless. It drained the series spirit completely.

Granted, that series seemed to emphasis Mega-Levels, so it got a tad dark for my taste, and Pokemon would be better thought out, but I really cannot say I'd be on board with it unless I was proven wrong.

Mr.Brightside

You will evolve too!
Maybe a Mystery Dungeon film would have some sort of interest and there wouldn't be the need of making CGI humans, but i doubt if Nintendo/Gf would ever do something like it. Especially when there's already an anime film yearly.

As for a live action film, it would have to deal with tons of difficulties even if there were other non anime related characters.

Moneyy

INACTIVE
Probably what the thread creator said, but definately not a live-action movie. That would suck.

absolalone111

Personally think it could be a pixar-esque 3D animation movie centreing on the pokémon themselves, like the Mystery dungeon series in that each pokémon has a voice and a specific personality, although not nescessarily with the same plot.

Your thoughts? Discuss!

Well it is a good idea but it would make nintendo go bust because they would have to give a different company the writes to animate it, which would lead to them having more authority on the script/actors then it would turn aout like the astroboy film, actiony and to funny, not enough philosophey involved in trying to fit in with people nothing like you.

Shedinja705

An outcast...
If they make a real-live pokemon movie, I will be shocked. Also, it'll be quite hard to get all the pokemon into real life, since there is a lot of battling and such. But that would be really awesome!

CliveKoopa

I'd love to see an anime movie not centred on Ash. It could have a plot similar to Legend Of Thunder, which was based around completely new and exclusive characters.

Rayquaza Master777

#1 May Fanboy
I'd definitely like a live action movie. Obviously, they'd have to use CGI for the Pokemon, but the rest of the movie would be live action. But I DEFINITELY would not like a fully CGI Pokemon movie. That is for the games ONLY.

Primal Crusader V

Watch some MANime
None-anime pokemon movie? I wonder if that's even normal, because the pokemon TV shows stride for anime. And epic. I don't see why there is going to be a pokemon non-anime movie.....

There will not be a Non-Anime Pokemon Movie, it would be off color and probably just as bad as the Mario Bros Movie. To top it off, if there was one, I doubt it would make it overseas.

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
There will not be a Non-Anime Pokemon Movie, it would be off color and probably just as bad as the Mario Bros Movie. To top it off, if there was one, I doubt it would make it overseas.

Death Note had a "non-anime" movie. It was very well put together and it made it to the U.S. as well. Pokemon is probably a bit more popular than Death Note is here in the States, so I would assume that a "non-anime" Pokemon movie would in fact make it overseas to be dubbed. I'm not totally in favor of that idea, but it's possible.

Last edited:

Glitter!

Glam Trainer
Death Note had a "non-anime" movie, in fact, it had three of them. All three movies were very well put together and they made it to the U.S. as well. Pokemon is probably a bit more popular than Death Note is here in the States, so I would assume that a "non-anime" Pokemon movie would in fact make it overseas to be dubbed. I'm not totally in favor of that idea, but it's possible.

Because adapting a realistic, serious anime to live-action is SOOO like making colorful monsters and an idealized world with it's own physics, logic and lifestyle to the same medium.

To be short, Death Note is just humans and very realistic if it wans't for the killing-notebook.
Pokémon is ridiculously harder to adapt without looking stupid.

Seriously, it would look really ridiculous, and a more serious and darker version like the fake-trailer is just not going to happen. Come on, it's been over 10 years, we know how GF's mind works.

Last edited:

deokishisu.123

Justified Trope
I'd love to see an anime movie not centred on Ash. It could have a plot similar to Legend Of Thunder, which was based around completely new and exclusive characters.

How about a movie based on Brendan? we NEVER see him except for openings!

Ace Trainer Alex

wants to fight!
Or Lucas.

I think live-action would kill a lot of fans' hopes. CG would be easy (just look at PBR). But I would like to see it talk about someone OTHER than Ash and co.