• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

A Not-So-Flying-Start! (879)

WaterShuriken

"I..I..Iron Tail, Pikachu."
Noibat is so adorable. It is such a gentle baby. Love it. I too love the sense of family between Ash, Noibat, Hawlucha, and Fletchinder, especially the ending shot. I chuckled when Pumkaboo and Inkay shot at Jessie and James thinking they were Hawlucha and Noibat. Now, I hope Fletchinder's Flame Body activates more often now, especially since its like Pikachu's Static.

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
Disgusting that the writers dont care about the birds or me saying the true? because what I mean by actual character is that ever since Kanto they worry more to give everyone else a personality that stands of while the birds have kind of the standard personally and don't tell me thats I'm not right because sorry I am, its not up for debate.

Yeah, it's basically expected at this point and XY hasn't exactly changed that. Though Fletchinder still proved useful here with his Ability, so there's that.

Almighty Zard

He has returned.
if anyone thought Hawlucha was a battle drone this episode proved them wrong, dang what a personality.

I kinda think that Frogadier's usage here wasn't needed, and heck it didn't even introduce itself to Noibat(then again neither did Braxien, Bunnelby or Luxray, though in the latter's case that's probably a good thing since it would likely scare the tyke with how it looks) , sure I liked the ninja pose it made, but why the sudden change of Aerial Ace's animation?

Fletchlinder should've been the one to take TR out when they tracked them down since it and Hawlucha were helping the best they could to help the tyke fly.

though at least it was worth the fact that Hawlucha beat up TR, and so did their own pokemon.

I guess from the way Noibat glomped Ash at the end it does consider him as a parent.

Only one thing confuses me, was Noibat rejecting the apples due to the taste, or due to the ripeness of them?

Pepsi_Plunge

Dojyaaa~~aan
Yeah, it's basically expected at this point and XY hasn't exactly changed that. Though Fletchinder still proved useful here with his Ability, so there's that.

Yeah thats kinda what I meant, Flechlinder actually did a lot for the usual bird in this episode, so I dont get why someone would complain.

if anyone thought Hawlucha was a battle drone this episode proved them wrong, dang what a personality.

I kinda think that Frogadier's usage here wasn't needed, and heck it didn't even introduce itself to Noibat(then again neither did Braxien, Bunnelby or Luxray, though in the latter's case that's probably a good thing since it would likely scare the tyke with how it looks) , sure I liked the ninja pose it made, but why the sudden change of Aerial Ace's animation?

Fletchlinder should've been the one to take TR out when they tracked them down since it and Hawlucha were helping the best they could to help the tyke fly.

I guess from the way Noibat glomped Ash at the end it does consider him as a parent.

Only one thing confuses me, was Noibat rejecting the apples due to the taste, or due to the ripeness of them?

Hawlucha a manly man Hawk luchador.

Ehn yeah I dont have a problem with it but Fletchlinder could have taken care of them.

Noibat being the little boy looking at the big cool guy with the eyes glowing scene was pretty cute aswell, I dont know about father it probably recognizes they are diferent beings but yeah, something of that sort.

I think yeah, it probably wanted a sweeter one, from Chespin face I'm guessing the others were sour.

Last edited:

Nacreous

Fire trainer
Disgusting.

I know,right?

When will they be able to shape up a nice character out of a regular bird pokemon?It doesn't seem to apply just to Pokemon,it seems all animes have the same problem: they can't draw birds and they're all dull.Like horses...birds and horses.

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.

I never understood why his personality was snubbed by some before; he's always had one, it's just that we don't often see him in cute/funny situations such as in this episode. :p

1rkhachatryan

Call me Robert guys
I'm glad Fletchinder at least got that little personality moment where he was introducing himself to Noibat and actually showed emotion. I also loved how Clemont gave him a little shoutout and explained his ability. Finally I love that Ash and him finally had a bonding moment with the ink spray thing.

The only other thing I would of liked to see was Fletchinder battling TR at the end and getting some revenge for the inking I mean Frogadier was completely pointless since Fletchinder was out already anyways.

jrizza88

Meteorite
Noibat's ability in that cave gives me vibes that he will be used in the Psychic gym to help track the psychic pokemon. I just get a vibe he will be used now, although we will have to see how that plays out.

I'm glad Fletchinder at least got that little personality moment where he was introducing himself to Noibat and actually showed emotion. I also loved how Clemont gave him a little shoutout and explained his ability. Finally I love that Ash and him finally had a bonding moment with the ink spray thing.

The only other thing I would of liked to see was Fletchinder battling TR at the end and getting some revenge for the inking I mean Frogadier was completely pointless since Fletchinder was out already anyways.

totally agree, or at least he should have had the finishing move instead of Pikachu.

MattySadler

Good episode.

Rohanator

Disgusting that the writers dont care about the birds or me saying the true? because what I mean by actual character is that ever since Kanto they worry more to give everyone else a personality that stands of while the birds have kind of the standard personally and don't tell me thats I'm not right because sorry I am, its not up for debate.
Having an uninteresting personality doesn't mean Fletchinder isn't a character among the other Pokemon characters. They may not put huge amounts of effort into its characterization, but they clearly care about it to some degree, shown particularly by its evolution episode (which is easily the most character focused Evolution episode of XY so far) as well as this latest one, as well as little things like focusing on its worried face after Trick Room was activated.

But yea it's not as much as Hawlucha or Frogadier (to a lesser extent, Froga hasn't really stood out personality wise since the early Froakie days, though I'm sure it'll get some good stuff in the future).

Last edited:

Navin

MALDREAD
Mal's Review-

Pros:

* Opening interactions are nice touches always

* Fletch Flame Body +1; props to Clemont for the shout out

* Hyper Voice top kek

* Lucha this entire episode - reminds me of Corphish

* Lucha/Bat teamwork in the cave

* Inkay and Pumpkaboo nearly blasting off TR

* Baby Bat captured

Cons:

* Lucha's glory came at the expense of Fletch; it has a personality, but it's never really shown

Thoughts:

* So Ash goes from one weak dragon to another; and BOTH are natural talents as well

* No arm scars from catching Noibat, Ash?

* Egg just dissipating into the air...

* So will the evolved OtachiXDracula spawn end up as powerful as the swamp guardian?

Not as good as the other NFE dragon capture, but I'm glad Ash got the Bat. Well, at least I'm excited for the evolved form.

7/10

Shneak

this is a Nessa x Sonia stan account ✨
I'm officially onboard the Noibat bandwagon after one episode. It's adorable and I think it has a lot of potential once it learns to fly. Another great thing about this episode was the use of less prevalent Pokemon, like Fletchinder, Hawlucha and Pancham. There was at least some development.

Jessie getting attacked by Hawlucha in slow-mo was incredible.

Rohanator

I'm so glad that most of Ash's other Kalos mons are involved with Noibat. Goomy pretty much had zero interactions with anyone other than Pikachu and Dedenne, and quickly surpassed the other Kalos mons in stature with its rapid evolutions. Now they get to be proper senpais, just like I wanted.

ShinyCharyZard

Too old for your rubbish..
So that Wulfric tears him a new one before the league.

One's a fire type and another is a fighting type with a choice of three super effective moves, four if facing an Abomasnow. So even with Noibat taking super effective damage thanks to its Flying/Dragon typing, I imagine Ash will be fine with the other two..

Heck, the Snowpoint gym involved Staraptor, Gliscor and Grotle..