• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

A OU team focused around Riotress.

Tehero

Like A Boss
Sooo I'm not sure if you guys have heard of this tactic as I kinda just came up with it when looking at DWF pokemon's abilitys. This whole team is centered around Riolu; Yes I did just say Riolu. After finding out that its ability was Prankster, well I came up with a little strategy that ticks everyone off, but your going to need to read more about what that strategy it :p And by the way I am naming this strategy Riotress because it sounds cool :p I am currently in the process of laddering this team and it seems to do pretty well.

205.png

Forretress (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic Spikes
- Rapid Spin
- Spikes

Forretress, a common but amazing hazard setter upper. Forretress is here to set up hazards and take them down, and that is literally all he is here to do. Leftovers is for a form of recovery while Sturdy ensures that Forretress gets in at least 2 hazards. EVs are for max bulk while the moves are pretty simple. Everything is pretty simple in this set actually. Stealth Rock/T.S/Spikes are all to set up hazards while Rapid Spin is to take Hazards away. With Deoxy-D, Forretress normally starts off with Toxic Spikes and always gets at least one layer in due to sturdy (sometimes two)

677.png

Keldeo @ Life Orb
Trait: Justified
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Hardy Nature
- Sacred Sword
- Scald
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Round

I found out that one spike setter/ stealth rock setter was enough so I decided to add in Keldeo to help me sweep a little bit easier. This set is focused around speed and attack, not setting up. It has great coverage and easily tears down opponents after Riolu does its thing. I gave it Life Orb for further damage because I found Scarfing it just wasnt worth it since I would need to switch out so much (neither was banding it)

186.png

Politoed (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Drizzle
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Scald
- Protect
- Toxic
- Perish Song

So since I decided to go with just one hazard setter, I added Politoed in to weaken fire moves and to put the weather on my side so that Sand and Hail wouldn't tear up Riolus Focus Sash. I made it an offensive toed with Scald for a STAB move. Protect to stall out Toxic damage and Perish Song to end baton pass teams (which I was having trouble with since most carry Ingrain Smeargle) Politoed throws a major punch and can also help clean up after Riolu.

452.png

Riolu (F) @ Focus Sash
Trait: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk
Brave Nature (+Atk, -Spd)
- Roar
- Copycat
- Bullet Punch
- Facade

Riolu is offically my favorite pokemon because of this set. Yes I know most of you are thinking why the heck would you use that piece of garbage, but thanks to the dream world this thing is no longer a piece of trash. From the dream world Riolu got Prankster, a life saver for him which allows even whole teams to be based around it. The Focus Sash is for when Riolu uses Roar for the first time to make sure he survives. After Roar is used, let the madness begin. Prankster allows Copycat to ALWAYS go first, and since the last move used will be Roar, the opponent basically can not do nothing but get destroyed by my hazards. Seriously this is the best combo ever. Bullet Punch and Facade are just for move slot fillers. The main problem with this is of course the ability Suction Cup and Soundproof, with the addition of pokemon that Roar dont work against; BUT you'd be surprised how many teams actually carry those three things.

Spr_5b2_641T.png

Thundurus (Thundurus-T) (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Volt Absorb
- Thunder
- Volt Switch
- Dark Pulse
- Focus Blast

Riolu normally sometimes doesnt finish off teams, but Salamence wasnt helping me do that either so I decided to take more advantage of the rain and throw in this guy. With an immunity to Electric thanks to Volt absorb and Ground thanks to his flying nature, he covers a lot of territory. I gave it a Life Orb over any of the CHoice items because he is here to late sweep teams and to have good type coverage. Thunder is for a 100% powerful STAB move in the rain, while Volt switch is incase I'm facing a sun team and need to set Poli up.Dark Pulse and Focus Blast are for type coverage mainly, letting me hit Psychic and Ghost pokes as well as the nasty Ferrothorn.

Spr_5b2_641T.png

Tornadus (Tornadus-T) (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Regenerator
- Hurricane
- Heat Wave
- Focus Blast
- Hidden Power [Ice]

I also decided to switch out Gengar with Thundurus's best friend Tornadus. It lets me take more advantage of the rain while also having just about the same type coverage. I again Life Orbed Tornadus because choice items just were not working out for me. Hurricane is for a 100% STAB move in the rain while the other three moves are just for type coverage. I chose HP Ice to handle any pesky dragons.

Yes I know this team is kinda cheap as it is near unstoppable, but I figured I'd share it with you guys anyways and see what your thoughts were. Im really loving this team so far as it hardly ever losses. Soon I will be posting a threat list... as soon as I see a threat to it xD

Last edited:

Naoto Shirogane

The Detective Prince
taught gilscor will give this team a hard time since gengar and skarmory are the only ones which can stop it but a good player will work round it knowing that you need gilscor dead in order to set up another thing is you have sr and spikes on 3 members of your team, you are basically just letting yourself me taught even espeon will give you team a hard time anywy there is no need to have it on all 3 of your pokemon i suggest getting rid of 1 of them so you can add poiltoad for rain so fire moves won't kill fortress easy another problem you did not say is espeed dragonite which can beat prankster and if fortress dies you have no spinner which can also mess up your set ups.

Tehero

Like A Boss
taught gilscor will give this team a hard time since gengar and skarmory are the only ones which can stop it but a good player will work round it knowing that you need gilscor dead in order to set up another thing is you have sr and spikes on 3 members of your team, you are basically just letting yourself me taught even espeon will give you team a hard time anywy there is no need to have it on all 3 of your pokemon i suggest getting rid of 1 of them so you can add poiltoad for rain so fire moves won't kill fortress easy another problem you did not say is espeed dragonite which can beat prankster and if fortress dies you have no spinner which can also mess up your set ups.

Ok, so maybe take out Skarmory and add Poli?
and yeah priority moves, sand and hail, and espeon are giving me a hard time.

NoteLobo

Banned
Quick note, any priority move used on Riolu wreaks the priority roar due to Riolu's terrible speed because its NFE.

Tehero

Like A Boss
Quick note, any priority move used on Riolu wreaks the priority roar due to Riolu's terrible speed because its NFE.

Yeah thats why Riolu is just to cause major holes and not to sweep.

AquaRegisteel

Face Oblivion
I recommend that you take off Toxic Spikes from Forretress and replace it with HP Ice. This allows you to 2HKO a lot of Dragons not named Latios or Latias, as long as you run these EVs: 252 HP / 204 Def / 52 SpA. Toxic Spikes won't have very much use since you'll be shuffling every turn that Rilou is alive for, so it'd be getting little damage each turn. With SR and 3 Layers of Spikes up, it won't matter all that much. Also, use Pain Split over Stealth Rock, as Deoxys and Skarmory have Stealth Rock. It gives Forretress some recovery, so it can keep Rapid Spinning throughout the match. Skarmory can stay as is, as it still gets up SR and Spikes, should Deo-D die.

I recommend a Choice Scarf on Salamence over Life Orb, as Riolu will have done a ton of damage, so Salamence will not be outsped easily when cleaning up teams.

Overall, almost unbeatable. Nice job!

Tehero

Like A Boss
I recommend that you take off Toxic Spikes from Forretress and replace it with HP Ice. This allows you to 2HKO a lot of Dragons not named Latios or Latias, as long as you run these EVs: 252 HP / 204 Def / 52 SpA. Toxic Spikes won't have very much use since you'll be shuffling every turn that Rilou is alive for, so it'd be getting little damage each turn. With SR and 3 Layers of Spikes up, it won't matter all that much. Also, use Pain Split over Stealth Rock, as Deoxys and Skarmory have Stealth Rock. It gives Forretress some recovery, so it can keep Rapid Spinning throughout the match. Skarmory can stay as is, as it still gets up SR and Spikes, should Deo-D die.

I recommend a Choice Scarf on Salamence over Life Orb, as Riolu will have done a ton of damage, so Salamence will not be outsped easily when cleaning up teams.

Overall, almost unbeatable. Nice job!

I switched Salamence out and added HP Ice to one of my other sweepers.

I kinda rearranged the whole team making it more rain friendly and taking out my Hail/SandStorm weakness. I also added more sweepers instead of three spike/stealth rock setter because Forretress normally gets its job done.

jeffdavid102

TSS Forever
You definitely did not make the prankster/roar/copycat set on Riolu. People have been using that for quite a while. Just look at this:http://serebii.net/potw-bw/448.shtml
Look at the bottom of the page in the pre-evolution corner. YOU DO NOT HAVE THE RIGHTS TO NAME A SET YOU DID NOT CREATE. NOW I WILL SUE. Jk. Now that I have exposed your lie, time to rate :p

Keldeo is not being used right. It should run a purely special set unless you're running Aqua Jet. Timid, Life Orb's good, Secret Sword>Sacred Sword, Calm Mind, Scald/Surf/Hydro Pump(a choice between good power with a chance to burn, better power, great power with low accuracy) I have run HP Ice in the last slot, but HP Ghost works well too

Tehero

Like A Boss
You definitely did not make the prankster/roar/copycat set on Riolu. People have been using that for quite a while. Just look at this:http://serebii.net/potw-bw/448.shtml
Look at the bottom of the page in the pre-evolution corner. YOU DO NOT HAVE THE RIGHTS TO NAME A SET YOU DID NOT CREATE. NOW I WILL SUE. Jk. Now that I have exposed your lie, time to rate :p

Keldeo is not being used right. It should run a purely special set unless you're running Aqua Jet. Timid, Life Orb's good, Secret Sword>Sacred Sword, Calm Mind, Scald/Surf/Hydro Pump(a choice between good power with a chance to burn, better power, great power with low accuracy) I have run HP Ice in the last slot, but HP Ghost works well too

I've honestly never seen that lol, but your right that was posted first so all credit for the set goes to him (although I seriously have never ever seen it I don't read the POTW)

Sawk

On Keldeo or Tornadus switch out hidden power for something like Reflect or Light screen.

Ducks used tht rioulu set against me b4, also jellicent can wall your Keldeo all day if ur not careful plus u might want to put at least 1 offensive move on fortress so u won't be easy set up foter

Last edited:

Ninja Dewott

Ice Cold Fire
Hmmm... I can't see this working that well, if I'm honest.

Firstly, there's far too much pressure on Forry. It has to lay down hazards so Riolu can do its stuff and spin hazards to make sure Riolu's sash stays intact. All this falls to a Pokemon with mediochore Special Defence and no reliable recovery, although replacing Tspikes with Pain Split would be a start.

To solve this, I'd spread the pressure around. Get a Tentacruel to spin and lay T-spikes (this thing is awesome in rain). Then, get a separate Stealth Rocker. There's tons to choose from but personally I'd go with Mamoswine, it being as awesome as it is right now. That leaves only Spiking to Forry. And there's one similar Pokemon that can do it much better: Ferrothorn. Finally, a Spin-blocker would be extremely helpful.

So, basically, your team should look like this: Politoed | Tentacruel | Ferrothorn | Stealth Rocker | Riolu | Ghost Type

Alternatively, if you want to add a dedicated rain sweeper in there to clean up, you could replace Ferro with Froslass, who can Spin-Block and Spike.

And yes, as someone said, this tactic has been around for ages. Literally. So, sadly, you did not revoloutionise the metagame. However, what you have done is juxtaposed the names of two Pokemon so that it sounds cool, which is genuinely a remarkable feat worthy of eternal glory.

Last edited:

patthecat11756

I've been doing a lot of Pokemon Showdown and as per Smogon, Politoed as officially dethroned Scizor as number 1 in usage. So, that means most teams are going to be running Drizzle. Unfortunately, people are starting to find very effective counters to rain. I have heard of the Prankster Riolu and I've seen it in action. If you are going to be laying down hazards and focusing it on Riolu, you are going to be needing a Spinblocker. Personally, I'd suggest Sableye seeing as it has instant recovery, prankster moves like WoW, Trick + Iron Ball/Lagging Tail, etc. It'll also give you protection from psychic, fighting and normal type moves. The Psychic will be immensely helpful for Keldeo. Also, the Riolu copycat/roar technique is a bit hard to pull off due to Riolu's slower speed than most priority users. A big problem is Extremespeed Dragonite who has a +6 priority while your copycat has a +1. Also, Sableye can block extremespeed and priority WoW Dragonite.

Unfortunately, your Keldeo needs a little work to be honest. I personally think it was too over-hyped. It is one of the few, if the only, water types that does not get Ice Beam. It's main moveset is always going to be Hydro Pump/Sacred Sword and (2) other moves. Round/Scald are to be honest wasteful on Keldeo. May I suggest you go for a Choice Specs set over LO? Try running Hydro Pump/Sacred Sword/HP Ghost/Icy Wind. The main (5) counters to Keldeo are the best walls in the game; Celebi, Slowbro, Jellicent, Amoongus and Tentacruel. HP Ghost easily dispatches Celebi, Slowbro and Jellicent. Icy Wind deals with Amoongus, although it'll have trouble breaking through Max HP/ Max Sp Def +Sp Def Amoongus who can Giga Drain/Spore Keldeo. Fortunately for us non-drizzle people, Tentacruel is a 100% stop to Keldeo. (Also, I'm not sure why you are running Hardy Nature on Keldeo, switch it to Timid). Even a Choice Specs boosted HP Ghost does a pitiful 26-31% on 252/0 neutral natured Tentacruel.

Now, I'm sure you'll say oh Tentacruel is easily dispatched by Thundurus-T. Well, I'm not sure how to break this to you, but your Thundurus-T lost the speed drop and hence fell below Terrakion in speed tier. And with Thundurus-T running Modest over Timid, what you gained in power you completely lost in whatever bulk you had. Even a Rock Slide from Terrakion can cleanly OHKO Thundurus and it has an 88% chance to OHKO Tornadus-T, also. So, obviously Scarf Terrakion is a huge threat to your team. May I suggest running Choice Scarf on Thundurus-T with Timid Nature, Volt Switch/Thunder/HP Ice/Focus Blast. Again you'll be locked into the move just like Keldeo, but you'll have the speed to hit hard. You'll still be OHKO by Scarf Terrakion, though.

For Tornadus-T, I would recommend a complete overhaul. I know it is tempting to run + Sp Attack nature, but you need to run max speed. There is a pokemon that is faster and cleanly OHKO Tornadus-T, Weavile. A LO Ice Punch is nothing to joke about. Unfortunately, you would need to run max speed or have a strong priority user like Scizor to take care of Weavile. I would recommend this: Naive Nature (the drop in Sp Def isn't terrible due to the main special attacks it'll be taking will be Ice/Electric which you have 1/2 checks for), 4 Attack/ 252 Sp Attack/ 252 Speed. Hurricane/U-Turn/Superpower/HP Ice with Life Orb. This set turns Tornadus-T into a great Wallbreaker. It has the wonderful flying/fighting coverage that hits both physical and special sides of the spectrum. HP Ice is for those pesky Thundurus-T that walls the flying/fighting coverage. U-Turn goes great with Thundurus-T Volt Switch for a great VoltTurn combo. Unfortunately you still lose to Weavile.

Also, one last thing, I would highly recommend changing the set on Politoed to a Sp Def set and make Forretress and Def set. This would allow you have some form of walls on your team.

Recap:
Change Movesets/Natures
Major Threats: Scarf Terrakion, LO Weavile, Thundurus-T, Abomasnow, Tyranitar, Ninetales.

Ghosts of the Forums

Who Ya Gonna Call?
alright, listen up. you're strategy is not original, it has been used on po months ago, and i had a team built around riolu weeks ago. that being said, use the following set on thundurus.

Thundurus-t @Choice Scarf
Modest
Volt Absorb
252Sp.Atk 252Spe
-Thunder
-Hidden Power Ice (use 31/30/30/31/31/31 iv's to avoid being outsped by other thunduruses.)
-Focus Blast
-Volt Switch

change tornadus's nature to timid. you are wasting riolu's potential. use the following set.

Riolu @Eviolite/Focus Sash/Lum Berry/Filler
Jolly
Prankster
192Hp 48Def 54Sp.Def 216Spe
-Roar
-Copycat
-Toxic (to stop walls.)
-Rest (add a cleric.)
the speed is nesacary (can never spell that correctly) to outspeed all adamant scizor variants so they can't kill you with bullet punch (or worse make you use copycat on THEIR attack). the rest is thrown into your defenses to add to your survivability. i definitly recommend evioite, and i cannot stress this enough; Get. A. Cleric.

that's all for now, btw, your strategy is crippled by faster priority users and the move protect. beleive me. i used pretty much your exact team a while back except with tetacruel instead of keldeo.

-GOTF out.

Darkerones

SlowpokeHunter
ill give a full rate later but just for the sake of nitpicking: you have two TornadusT sprites posted when one should be a ThundurusT.

Dr_When

Maybe a magnezone with hp fire to counter scizor who will kill riolu. Also feels like you could use some wish support to have riolu or come back in after a switch out from clonkcledure

[Kingdra]

Looks like this team will have a tough time taking a hit after Forretress is gone. Riolu becomes dead weight once they set up entry hazards. Most obviously the team lacks a specified special sweeper, which allows people to wall you pretty easily with common special walls.

SmeargleRocks

Reputable Trader
I'd say get a
modest or timid keldeo
HP ghost 70
252 speed, 252 SP.atk, 4 SP.def for more Sp. Bulk with calm mind and also more damage and a fast hitter
I'd go with the same moveset and item you are using though so just different nature keldeo and different HP otherwise your team looks fine

I forgot that you may want to change that nature in riolu as well to a hasty, jolly, or naive so it has the possibility to outrun some other 'pranksters'

Last edited:

uberheracross

The Ominous Breeze
why do you have max hp on riolu? it's not like it's gonna take a hit anyway... if you run jolly nature, 252 spd ev's rather than hp, you can out speed common priority abusers like scizor and most metagross sets, and copycat annoy them.