1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

A Pack of Potatoes and other new things in SwSh

Discussion in 'Pokémon Sword & Shield Discussion' started by ghostedZorua, Jun 16, 2019.

1. ghostedZorua

ghostedZorua Hex Maniac

Something interesting I saw near the end of the Pokemon Sword and Shield treehouse E3 video, just before the Big Bad News, was that an item was received called "A Pack of Potatoes", and that it was placed in an "Ingredients Pouch". What do you guys think this will entail for the games? Will we actually get to make Curry for out Pokemon?

[​IMG]

(Edit, 9/25/19) It's official, guys! We got cooking! (And Camping)

Last edited: Sep 25, 2019
  2. 1rkhachatryan

1rkhachatryan Call me Robert guys

I think it means we'll be able to make foods either either for a new side quest or just to make pokemon more friendly faster.

wolf jani and ghostedZorua like this.
  3. TheKnightsFury

TheKnightsFury TheKnightsFury

There were talks about a camping feature which would replace the Amie stuff. Would likely tie into the Wild Area.

4. WhiteBlair

WhiteBlair ベストチャンピオン。

Cooking reminds me of Zelda: BotW style, considering the leaker said some of the foods will also increase your starter's stats. We also had a Pungent Root in addition to A Sack of Potatoes, which seems there'll be more ingredients, berries, to mix combos.

ghostedZorua and wolf jani like this.
  5. Ultra Beast Lover

Ultra Beast Lover Well-Known Member

Oh you know what? Sobble was looking all happy in front of a tent, bet that's related. If we are cooking then that means we finally get to do what they do in the anime. Cooking will make it feel like a real adventure.

6. Wulava

Wulava Chuffed to bits Staff Member Moderator

Makes me wonder if aside from possibly increasing affection like PokePuff and PokeBeans, it might be tied to the game's side feature just like Pokeblocks and Poffins are to Pokemon Contests, and Aprijuice is to Pokeathlon (assuming it has one).

7. 1rkhachatryan

1rkhachatryan Call me Robert guys

It would be pretty cool to go camping in the wild area with your pokes tbh. Making a campsite and bonding with your pokemon would make it feel more like real life.

8. Ultra Beast Lover

I hope there's no limit like with the original pokeblocks and the poffins. You know what else? They had that advertisement on the building with pokemon food, maybe that's also related? I know this is weird to be excited over but this is one of the things I've always wanted. Sometimes I just wanted to make a little campsite on a route and play with my party but system limitations made that impossible. This kind of thing might actually make me take a few extra days to beat the game.

9. Wulava

Speaking of limits, I hope the recipes aren't just for increasing friendships, I hope we could make stat boosters or medicine as well.

10. wolf jani

wolf jani The 6th member to reach 20 000 posts

I can't wait for this camping thing. I loved amie & refresh.

ghostedZorua likes this.
  11. Ultra Beast Lover

Well we see berries on the poster so assuming that's for food, maybe if you have too many berries like too many oran berries the game allows you to turn the berries into something else. There's a lot of berries that give Pokemon friendship at the expense of a stat so maybe there's certain berry/veggie combos that negate the stat change or cause stats to grow.

12. Lol maybe Ash will learn to cook

JLK2707, ghostedZorua, Emelie and 4 others like this.
  13. Trainer Yusuf

Trainer Yusuf VolcaniNO

More than likely not, unless there is something like Poké Pelago or an item trader for Ingredients.

I would say there might be an evolution requiring a specific food, but since we have Eevee confirmed for the Regional Dex, Sylveon already covers that.

tl;dr these will be pretty much just participation gifts for exploring the Wild Area.

wolf jani likes this.
  14. Wulava

I mean, like crafting. Maybe certain set of ingredients would let you create an equivalent of Protein, Carbos, HP Up, PP Max, Revive, Full Heal, Rare Candy, etc.

15. PrinceOfFacade

PrinceOfFacade Ghost-Type Master

I'm not gonna lie. I burst out laughing when I saw "Sack of Potatoes." That had to be the most stereotypically delightful thing that could've possibly come out of this game. lol

But as far as it goes, it seems like we're gonna be able to make food. Possibly another element inspired by Breath of the Wild? I assume whatever we make will be used to restore health. Would be nice if we could also make dishes that cure status ailments.

16. Zoruagible

Zoruagible Lover of underrated characters

Camping actually sounds cool and fun, you can pretend at least that your character didn't get all eight badges and defeated a criminal empire in a single day now. lol

17. Bolt the Cat

Bolt the Cat Bringing the Thunder

This caught my attention as well. I'm guessing there's some type of crafting/cooking system in the game. This game does seem to be very BotW inspired, so it would make sense that they would also want to add a mechanic where you can collect ingredients and mix them into useful items for your Pokemon.

18. Ultra Beast Lover

It'll certainly make things less awkward when Hop says something like, "Do you remember what I told you, y'know before we left on our journey?"

Me: You mean yesterday?

Sonia: Hey, it's been a while since we last saw each other.

Me: I saw you two hours ago what're you talking about?

19. PrinceOfFacade

PrinceOfFacade Ghost-Type Master

Well, I tend to [try to] take my time when playing the game, so I usually beat it after two weeks, minimum.

Since I plan to only play Sword and Shield on my tv, I'm hoping it leads to the game lasting a lot longer, and with the Wild Area being a thing, I'm hoping to do a lot of exploring in between missions. One thing I might do just for funsies is go through the Wild Area without a single PokéBall, thus requiring me to fight my way through. And given we've seen pokemon like Machoke literally run towards you, I'm hoping this leads to some all-out attacks.

In other words, I'm banking on this game lasting a couple months before I finish the story.

EDIT: But yes. Camping does sound like a lot of fun.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2019
    Frostfall, ghostedZorua and wolf jani like this.
  20. TheWanderingMist

TheWanderingMist Samayo Kiri, Keeper of the Gates Ethereal

Yes, but I'm pretty sure a whistling sound could be heard that made it realize you were there.