• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

A Passionate Heart That Smashes Even Rocks! Olivia and Brock!! (1046)

Xuxuba

Honestly, that gotta be one of the worst inclusions to a companion's team that i have ever seen.

It came out of nowhere and it served no purpose since Brock already had a Chansey to help him with that kind of stuff and we didn't even get to see him bonding with Comfey at all.

I'm already not a fan of when pokemons are just handed out to companions, but i can overlook it when the character and the pokemon have bonded together.
Here, they had the opportunity to develop the character by making him earn the pokemon's trust and instead they chose to waste it.

Kintaro

Banned
Overall, this episode is worth only a 4/10. I don't get it, you bring back Brock and Misty, and you don't do the one thing the OG trio is fondly remembered for: banter and interactions. Heck, I'd say if someone didn't know the original characters, he'd be forgiven for mistaking Brock and Misty as 2 CoTD's in a two parter, because there was almost no interactions between Misty, Brock and Ash. This 2 parter paled compared to the 2 parter in Kanto.

They had small scenes at the end of each ep to make up for it with the campfire and fireworks scene, these eps were also about them on vacation and Misty/Lana, etc. It's not like there were any original trio only moments during Misty's old AG cameos either since May or Max or Tracey were always there, and they integrated them into the SM cast fine. If anything I daresay that aside from getting to see Togepi evolve, Misty's SM cameos as a whole were better than her AG ones.

Xuxuba

They had small scenes at the end of each ep to make up for it with the campfire and fireworks scene, these eps were also about them on vacation and Misty/Lana, etc. It's not like there were any original trio only moments during Misty's old AG cameos either since May or Max or Tracey were always there, and they integrated them into the SM cast fine. If anything I daresay that aside from getting to see Togepi evolve, Misty's SM cameos as a whole were better than her AG ones.
Honestly, anything is better than the AG cameos, since they completely erased Misty's personality, but i believe Akkipeddi was talking about their first cameo on the SM series and not the ones from AG.

345ash-greninja

Auto-Memories Doll
*Ok, firstly sorry guys for being so late in giving my review of the this episode (I have been watching a lot of other anime shows lately now, so haven't really found that much time to write a review here)*

Well, I did enjoy this episode in parts, and like last week's episode, this episode also consisted of some nice heartwarming, playful and cheery character interaction moments amongst Ash's classmates and Misty/Brock. Brock's classic display of passionate love is front of Olivia was....passionate and hilarious at the same time as expected, that part was really well done I'll say.

But once again, like the last episode, the problems once again came with the action moments, which were actually in my book even more underwhelming compared to last week's episode. Like what? Brock and Olivia's battle started so well, with the move chaining and move clashes giving the vibes of a really good battle...and then Trio had to interrupt in then? Just WHY did the writers have to interrupt that really good looking battle via the Trio at the point...when it could have been easily done after the battle? Clearly depicts the poor handling of the action sequences (in an aspect where SM in fact, has been quite often underwhelming).

And then again, the Trio battle looking really good...with the Trio quite unusually being portrayed as a real threat (which I actually liked BTW), they restrained majority of Ash and co. in their mecha, and their mecha was able to resist a Continental Crush from Olivia's Lycanroc, which was boosted by Brock + Olivia's Z-energy....but then again Bewear had to interrupt and ruin the total excitement. :/

So we overall had both action incidents looking really good and then interrupted in this episode, can it really get any more frustrating than that?

Judging character interaction moments in the episode: 9/10

Judging action moments in the episode: 3/10

So overall doing the average score of those two aspects I give this episode a 6/10, that's all.

AznKei

Dawn & Chloe by ddangbi
I’m more surprised that they can now use the Ride Pokémon without going into their Ultra Guardian uniforms.
Yeah, it gives the impression that those uniforms are only there for cosmetic purposes, thinking they were looking cool than giving the wearers any stat boosts.

mehmeh1

Not thinking twice!
Yeah, it gives the impression that those uniforms are only there for cosmetic purposes, thinking they were looking cool than giving the wearers any stat boosts.
well, they do work as communicators (though yeah, lusamine was said to be very childish and cheesy, so they were probably made to look cool and as uniforms more than anything)

Kintaro

Banned
Honestly, anything is better than the AG cameos, since they completely erased Misty's personality, but i believe Akkipeddi was talking about their first cameo on the SM series and not the ones from AG.

Misty's AG cameos was basically a more mature version of her OS self. But she still felt like herself. SM Misty is fun, but her personality definitely altered in the same manner Ash's is in SM, where she's more cheery and girly and exciteable...but again that's SM's writing style since everyone is like that in this series.

Also at least Misty and Lana got to bond. Misty and May met on 3 different eps and I don't think they ever shared more than a few lines together, lol. Seriously the Misty/May interaction is the absolute low point of female lead interaction in the series, which is too bad because it could have been great.

DragonKahuna

Dragon Master
I can't describe how shocked and happy I am that Brock got a Comfey. I never expected the old companions to have new captures (otherwise Comfey would be predictable) but that's what SM is know for, breaking the patterns. The episode was really good overall.
Tbh, I have a feeling that this is not the last we see from Misty and Brock. At least from Misty. I still think Misty and Lana might be smth like Clair and Iris.

Kintaro

Banned
I think this might be it for them in Alola, but I can see them making a special after SM ends where Lana visits Cerulean Gym. Or maybe Brock visits Olivia again. But SM isn't over yet so we're getting ahead of ourselves, we don't know if they'll even make specials for the Alola cast after SM ends

WaterShuriken

"I..I..Iron Tail, Pikachu."
I really enjoyed this episode. Brock's skills were recognized and even with Olivia, she seemed a bit impressed. There is hope for this ship! I know Lucy liked him but she's never appearing again. Plus he does have things in common with Olivia. They are both hopeless romantics and like Rock-type Pokémon.

Twilight-Kun

Pokemon World Champion
I really enjoyed this episode. Brock's skills were recognized and even with Olivia, she seemed a bit impressed. There is hope for this ship! I know Lucy liked him but she's never appearing again. Plus he does have things in common with Olivia. They are both hopeless romantics and like Rock-type Pokémon.
And after SM, Olivia’s never going to appear again and Brock will vanish until they inevitably remake/revisit Kanto in the future

Akkipeddi

All set to be a nice guy
And after SM, Olivia’s never going to appear again and Brock will vanish until they inevitably remake/revisit Kanto in the future
Which probably won't even be that long since Kanto references and remakes are all Gamefreak seems to know these days.

Lord Starfish

Fond of owls
So I finally got to see the PokéProblem section which was cut from the TV-airing. Hoping it would give some resolution on the whole Takeshi/Lychee thing since the episode was weirdly inconclusive about it...

I was let down. The post-episode skit is just another "Satoshi, Takeshi and Kasumi chilling on the beach" thing. So we ultimately didn't even get a rejection (because let's be real; Takeshi/Lychee was never going to go anywhere) and the whole subplot ends up feeling sort of... forgotten about.

Satomine Night

The Power of Z!
Proposing marriage to a woman you just met? Geez, Brock, couldn't you at least wait until you get to know the woman better before proposing to her? And what was with that scrapbook of photos of Olivia? o_O I'm probably in the minority, but I was never a fan of Brock's flirting/desire to date every pretty lady he set his eyes upon, and that behavior was just amped up in this episode. Overreactions might be a staple of SM's humor, but it didn't make his gag any funnier. At least the other characters acknowledged the insanity of Brock's behavior.

That being said, while I'm not a fan of Brock's flirting, I enjoyed Olivia's reactions to it. She looked at times both bewildered and flattered, like she had no idea how to react to Brock's "charms." It was better than the usual dumbfounded and/or nervous reaction Brock gets from ladies. I particularly liked her "Eh?!" when Brock added "In Love" to "World's End Fall" (Continental Crush).

Eh, this two parter wasn’t nearly as good as the previous. Maybe I’m a little biased because Brock is one of my favorite characters yet it seemed like Misty was favored a bit in this regard, what with being literally shafted in the previous episode and the main plot of this week’s episode not kicking in until halfway through and only lasting up to TR antics.
I disagree. Misty wasn't favored. Her episode was more of a "fluff" episode, with only the most basic of plots (Team Rocket trying to kidnap Pokémon), whereas Brock's episode actually had two plots—the first half of the episode focused on the injured Kangaskhan child, and the second half of the episode focused on the battle against Olivia. I'd actually say Misty got the short end of the stick in this two-parter.

Kintaro

Banned
Brock got a lot of focus in this ep (obviously), but I think Misty still got more focus overall since Brock was ditched at the Pokecenter for the entire first episode till the end. Misty also had a lot of comedic scenes with Psyduck in both eps, so it feels like she got more focus.

DatsRight

At least the other characters acknowledged the insanity of Brock's behavior.

That was probably a key pro over Misty. The others didn't have that developed relations with either, but they at least had funny reactions and acknowledgements to Brock's quirks (much like Kiawe's bewilderment in the gym battle episode). Misty felt too much like a standard 'super happy buddies' chemistry with everyone last episode.

Both second episodes of each two parter seemed to do better for actual interactions.

Also watched the sub.

Misty: *after being captured by Team Rocket* "Come on! We just beat you yesterday!"

Okay. Maybe a little of Misty's snark combat is still there. :D

Last edited:

Kintaro

Banned
It's interesting Brock got a new pokemon that literally got about 10 seconds of screentime and may never appear again. Even if Brock himself shows up in the future, there's no guarantee his new Alola pokemon will. Like this is one of the most bizarre captures in the series. A new pokemon for 10 seconds of screentime and may never appear again?

ash&charizardfan

Humans are tools
Brock got a lot of focus in this ep (obviously), but I think Misty still got more focus overall since Brock was ditched at the Pokecenter for the entire first episode till the end. Misty also had a lot of comedic scenes with Psyduck in both eps, so it feels like she got more focus.

No not exactly, the first episode was more focused on the entire SM group +misty and not just on one character, there were hardly one or two moments of her with lana like many predicted, whereas second episode was totally based on brock from his progress in doctor goal to his improved battling skills to his chemistry with olivia and even his gag moment, this was a brock based episode. No until you think more screentime means more focus and development like many misty fanboys feel here i think brock got better deal here. His impact in this cameo was much higher.

Vipsoccermaster

Good episode for Brock. Too bad for him that he will never get a proper woman to marry with, not even Olivia, even if they both share the same love of Rock Pokémon. Glad that Brock helped out Olivia with Continental Crush to crush Team Rocket. The battle between them was fine, but could have been better had Team Rocket not interrupted. Good two-parter featuring Misty and Brock once again. Ash will continue to stay in touch with Misty and Brock for years ahead, and the same goes for Lana and Misty, as well. Funny that they started doing so right after meeting them for the first time back then. Their similarities paid off really quick.