• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

A Planeswalker's Guide to SPPf (Magic: the Gathering)

the3rdH0kage

Turn my Swag on!
I was going to make the deck revolve around it, But it needs to be a good land fetching 5 color Commander and idk if there is one.

The Admiral

the star of the masquerade
And just ways to tutor out your gates beyond the Maze's End. You'd probably need Gatecreeper Vine, and blink/clone support...and then win conditions that don't rely on a single land. You'd probably want to play it like a Fog deck...but I don't know how viable that is in EDH...with less card consistency, probably less...

I'd run it as mostly BUG with a lot of transmute, land tutors (Crop Rotation, Sylvan Scrying, Reap and Sow, etc.), and using Isochron Scepter for fog effects and, again, Terra Eternal to avoid any LD and probably Privileged Position to keep Maze's End from being targeted. Exploration and/or Burgeoning may also be worth running.

Also good lord when did Slyvan Scrying get to be worth $2.50+?

the3rdH0kage

Turn my Swag on!
I decided to make it a Standard build (which took a good 2 hours for just the main board). But anyway I'll make decklist later.

the3rdH0kage

Turn my Swag on!
Omg guys everybody's favorite archetype is coming back in M 14. The Hive is making a comeback. There are like 6 previews out now. And sorry for the double post I'll fix later, later in on Kindle and it is a complete b$@&h to edit posts.

DucksGoMooful

Evergreen tail?
DEM SLIVERS. Wow, this is exciting. I'm relatively new, so I've never gotten to play with Slivers before, and never really seen them except for one guy who had a deck. Cool. I'm super pumped for this, but I don't know about the spoiled artwork. It doesn't feel very Sliver-y to me, although maybe they're going to do like a re-invention or something? Especially since the spoiled cards only affect your Slivers, not anyone else's. Cool stuff. Now I'm going to build a totally awesome (and really bad) Sliver deck on Cockatrice. Probably EDH.

On the other hand, I just realized that Underworld Connections is Phyrexian Arena, so I am promptly building a Golgari deck with that and that enchantment that makes the enchanted land untap during each untap step (from RTR).

Last edited:

the3rdH0kage

Turn my Swag on!
I can't wait, I started right after Slivers quit being in Standard (from after Alara before Zendikar came out). so I never played with them until I got into the game and learned aout the different game formats and some people showed me Slivers. So it will be cool to experience them in the Standard format.

The Admiral

Legend Rule: Yyyyyyyes and no. Mostly no. From a flavor stance, this is out-and-out ludicrous. There is no reason why a clone of that unique character should just disappear in a puff of logic just because there are two on your side, but you and another player can both control the same exact Melek. Glad they didn't clear up the "time paradox" version where you can have Teysa from now and Teysa from way in the past, though.

Planeswalker Rule: See above.

Sideboards: I'm okay with this. It makes life easier, just as I'm going to have to dump my Standard deck anyway because everyone will be running Ratchet Bomb.

Keyword Indestructible: "Gains indestructible," "has indestructible." These sound really, really crappy. "Indestructibility" might be better, but it might also be clunky. However, it also means that indestructibility now interacts with Spoiling the way it logically should.

"Can't be blocked": The meaning is preserved, but I think it looks clunkier.

Land plays: This is similar to a lot of simplifications made to rules in instances of "the players just don't think about it." It has its ups and downs for the same reasons.

the3rdH0kage

Turn my Swag on!
So I was asked to go down to Prestonburgh Kentucky with 4 of the other competitive players as a team on Saturday for a TCGPlayer Bronze event. So this week is testing, editing, revising, and stuff like that. Main changes so far (Kamotz has seen the list) moved 1 Boros Charm to Main from side because it I need it I had it almost every time today, and I'm putting in 3 Reckless Waif for Side against the Control matchup.

Kamotz

God of Monsters
So, as discussed in the League thread, I was thinking about creating a set of NPC decks for people to play against on Cockatrice, mimicking the Duels of the Planeswalkers games for iPad/Steam/Xbox/PS3/etc. Instead of competitive Standard decks, each deck would be more casual-based. With a specific "theme" in mind during the deckbuilding. I've already made a bunch of decklists, first focusing on the many Planeswalkers we have, then on other themes: Avacyn's Church, Vampires, the 10 Guilds, etc.

Dr. Ste

Pokemon Breeder
Magma Jet was spoiled for Theros, and I got really excited.

And then, they spoiled Thoughtseize...

The Admiral

I haven't kept up much with the spoilers until now, but here are my comments on the new mechanics.
  • Scry is the returning mechanic? Good lord. That could basically be an evergreen, as could Cycling.
  • Devotion is a very specific variant on Chroma. Ehhhh, could be worse.
  • Bestow seems simple enough. I kind of like it, but it will live and die by what cards have it.
  • Monstrosity: Also very simple, and also will live and die by the cards that have it. I was kind of nonplussed by the hydra, but Shipbreaker seems pretty good.
  • Heroic: Can't say much about this except that it too will depend on what the cards have for it. It seems like an okay trigger, though, but it also means you can probably crap out a bunch of cheap auras on something to move in for a game-ending strike. (I suppose that's the point, though.)

the3rdH0kage

Turn my Swag on!
So they spoiled one of the Gods, pretty awesome. Also spoiled was the new Elspeth :) , Thoughseize is awesome. Theros is looking to be an awesome set, but I said that about DGM and yeah it wasn't exactly set that made the RTR block what it was.

The Admiral

Thoughtseize reprint is great for many, many reasons. I hope the price drops a lot.

Not that I want to hurt investors, mind. But cheap prices help the health of the game's tournament formats and reduce entry barriers for certain decks.

Also, there's this. Because what we really need is a one-cost Journey to Nowhere.

the3rdH0kage

Turn my Swag on!
Thoughseive will get new art which will for the most part, keep the original priniting the same price. Anyway to pass the time I'm building a Grixis mill deck. It is pretty much Dimir but I'm throwing in a few Red guys to have some fun.

Kamotz

God of Monsters
Really? I think it might get quite interesting. I didn't really play competitively back during the Kamigawa block, but that was when I started my first big magic Hiatus. The problem with Kamigawa was the huge complexity of the card (at least for me). Different keywords, huge blocks of texts, etc. Since then, R&D has been quite good at streamlining the accessibility and complexity of their cards.

In terms of flavor, Theros looks to be as thick with it as Innistrad, which took the top-down Gothic Horror tropes and ran with them very well. It still felt like Magic, but it also had its own, unique feel to it. Keep in mind we've also only seen 75 of the cards (and that's including the 20 basic lands). So 55/229. That's only about 1/4. If you look at any 25% of a set, it's bound to seem a bit lackluster and disjointed. But we've already seen some solid removal, some really interesting creatures, SCRY(!!!), and Thoughtsieze(!!!).

the3rdH0kage

Turn my Swag on!
I didn't even know about Magic during the Kamigawa block. That was my Yugioh phase hehe. But Theros looks like an awesome set. I'm hoping for Dack to not suck as a Planeswalker.

The Admiral

Odds are, he'll be either really, really good or really, really bad. It seems like Wizards hasn't been striking a decent balance between the two lately.

Also, this card is pretty hilarious.

Kamotz

God of Monsters
Odds are, he'll be either really, really good or really, really bad. It seems like Wizards hasn't been striking a decent balance between the two lately.

Also, this card is pretty hilarious.

I dunno. Ral is pretty ok. Neither Ajani 3, Chandra 4, or Garruk 4 is really really good nor really really bad.