• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

A Planeswalker's Guide to SPPf (Magic: the Gathering)

The Admiral

the star of the masquerade
They gave us the worst Garruk and decent Jace and Chandra. Liliana 3.0 is okay but not really Standard-quality, and Ajani is definitely good.

I'm kind of disappointed that they're using Liliana as the main black PW right now, though.

the3rdH0kage

Turn my Swag on!
Posted the deck rate and give some suggestions.

garruk 2.0 is better than garruk 3.0 imo. i'm not a fan of garruk 3.0 though so. ajani is REALLY good though. and liliana 3.0 is kinda eh, she might see some play. but i doubt it. liliana 2.0 is much better.

the3rdH0kage

Turn my Swag on!
Cant wait to get the MTG game on 360.

The Admiral

garruk 2.0 is better than garruk 3.0 imo. i'm not a fan of garruk 3.0 though so. ajani is REALLY good though. and liliana 3.0 is kinda eh, she might see some play. but i doubt it. liliana 2.0 is much better.

In my mind, the progression of Garruks goes like this: 1.0, give us Kiora already Wizards, 3.0/2.0.

Liliana is just not really going to be a Standard MVP with Liliana 2.0 in, unfortunately.

SugarFreeJazz

not present
Bah. Why wasn't Dragon Arch re-introduced in the Shards of Alara block? It would fit perfectly.

I actually don't know how any of those decisions are decided. That question is partly actual inquiry and part annoyance.

In my mind, the progression of Garruks goes like this: 1.0, give us Kiora already Wizards, 3.0/2.0.

Liliana is just not really going to be a Standard MVP with Liliana 2.0 in, unfortunately.
garruk 1.0 really has no competition from the other garruks, it's actually kinda pathetic. but yes please kiora, i really wanna see where they go with her.

unless there's a REALLY good x-spell liliana 3.0 will remain terrible and linger in the shadow of liliana 2.0; once innistrad rotates i will be very interested in the state of black planeswalkers.

the3rdH0kage

Turn my Swag on!
Who cant wait for Return to Ravnica :) Gonna be so great.

The Admiral

garruk 1.0 really has no competition from the other garruks, it's actually kinda pathetic. but yes please kiora, i really wanna see where they go with her.

unless there's a REALLY good x-spell liliana 3.0 will remain terrible and linger in the shadow of liliana 2.0; once innistrad rotates i will be very interested in the state of black planeswalkers.

Black should get Sorin 3.0 at some point. Or a new Liliana. Hell, even Liliana 1.0 steamrolls 3.0 by usefulness. Repeatable Vampiric Tutors as long as she can tank hits? 5 mana is borderline justifiable, then. Curious about where they'd go with Jace 4.0 for RTR, but more curious about the possibility of Ral. I have a Kiora design that I'll post up later tonight. (e: I also want a Gideon 2.0. Possibly RTR? I feel like he might crop up there, for some reason.)

I was kicking around trying to decide on a deck idea earlier. I want to build Cephalid tribal, but it just doesn't seem possible. Not without it being a little directionless. However, I did come upon the idea of Cephalid Broker and similar + Plagiarize, to force your opponent to discard (using the ones with targeted looting) while you draw tons of cards. Can't decide on a combo with this, though. Megrim? Seismic Assault? Psychosis Crawler?

Last edited:

SugarFreeJazz

not present
Throw in a Panoptic Mirror and every turn becomes better than the last. I also think Megrim and/or Psychosis Crawler would do best with that combo.

Zazie

So 1991
Black should get Sorin 3.0 at some point. Or a new Liliana. Hell, even Liliana 1.0 steamrolls 3.0 by usefulness. Repeatable Vampiric Tutors as long as she can tank hits? 5 mana is borderline justifiable, then. Curious about where they'd go with Jace 4.0 for RTR, but more curious about the possibility of Ral. I have a Kiora design that I'll post up later tonight. (e: I also want a Gideon 2.0. Possibly RTR? I feel like he might crop up there, for some reason.)

I was kicking around trying to decide on a deck idea earlier. I want to build Cephalid tribal, but it just doesn't seem possible. Not without it being a little directionless. However, I did come upon the idea of Cephalid Broker and similar + Plagiarize, to force your opponent to discard (using the ones with targeted looting) while you draw tons of cards. Can't decide on a combo with this, though. Megrim? Seismic Assault? Psychosis Crawler?

I recommend liliana's caress and megrim. They are faster than Psychosis crawler. (you could always try to run both if your up to it however)

Good cards to toss in might be Lore Broker and Magus of the Jar. Burning inquiry could be good as well if you decide to splash red. (all of these combo with both megrim/caress and psychosis crawler too)

Kamotz

God of Monsters
Playing a big big standard tournament. First prize is 48 boosters. Top 8 players win other prizes too. Lots of packs. Won my first round 2-1. Kicking forward!!!

EDIT: Tournament is over.

Ended up coming in Second place. I went 2-1 for each of the first three rounds running my W/B Tokens. Beat out R/B Vampires, a strange R/B Zombie deck, and W/U Delver. Lost my last round in the top Four to a W/G Humans. Champion of Lambholt and Champion of the Parish were killing me, and my second game left me mana-screwed. But I still won 24 packs! Took 16 Avacyn Restored and 8 New Phyrexia. All in all a really cool day. Lots of fun.

EDIT 2: Opened packs

Got a few really cool pulls. Not too much new stuff for me, but I'd bought boxes from both sets, so that's to be expected, still, some nice rares and good trading fodder.

NPH: Norn's Annex; Phyrexian Metamorph; Life's Finale; Bludgeon Brawl; Urabrask, the Hidden; Phyrexian Swarmlord; Jor Kadeen, the Prevailer; Spellskite.

AVR: Entreat the Angels; Restoration Angel; Deadeye Navigator, Devastation Tide, Infinite Reflection; Lunar Mystic; Exquisite Blood, Gloom Surgeon, Killing Wave; Treacherous Pit-Dweller; Hound of Griselbrand; Revenge of the Hunted; Soul of the Harvest; Ulvenwald Tracker; Conjurer's Closet; Desolate Lighthouse.

Tytan Havok

Bring it.
I play, but not often. (Im one of the only two people in my town of residence that does (I got the other guy to join a month ago))

i get the feeling sorin 3.0 won't happen for a while, unless they decide to make a new one in m14. ral is probably in rtr somewhere, maybe kiora as well, it has been a long time coming for them after all. iirc gideon went to ravnica after the eldrazi thing so gideon 2.0 is probably in there as well, which means that's 4 walkers. who knows what the last one will be.

Mikau

Better then you
I just got back into MTG recently (EDH mostly) and I dig the new Liliana and Ajani. Bolas coming back in type 2 is pretty excellent as well.

Freya

Noam Chompsky
Its kind of shitty than there cant be good low costing instants or sorceries for a while. Or atleast thats my assumption for them not reprinting Mana Leak because of Snapcaster. Would also explain a notable lack of Shock and Incinerate. I hate Snapcaster...

Regardless of my *****ing, I still think M13 looks really fun to draft and can't wait to get my hands on it.

The Admiral

Mana Leak is also basically 1U: Counter target spell and has been for a while, especially in Standard. I don't think Snapcaster will make that more broken, but it would do it for Shock and Lightning Bolt. Incinerate is gone because regeneration is more of a big deal than it used to be. Costs are higher, creatures with it are rarer. Nerfing it hurts way more than it used to. (Regeneration is also basically irrelevant in Standard right now, so.)

M13 looks fun but I'll probably get trololololol'd and pull at least one Battle of Wits in every sealed pool, or end up having to take one in draft when it becomes the last pick.

mana leak is "too good" for r&d these days, although i get the feeling snappy being around doesn't do it any favours. i'm not sure what snappy will even do in the new standard though, since there are no good cheap spells in innistrad block for cantripping off the top of my head. it'll be interesting to see how it performs, but i have the feeling it'll sort of be like stoneforge before scars block. i think tragic slip is his best target atm.

also i think the only relevant regeneration that i can think of in standard is thrun, and he can't even be targeted by incinerate so.

TylerPhoenix

I'm glad to be back!
Went to FNM earlier (GMT). Running my R/G Wolves/Werewolves.

It's only a smallish shop I go to, and there were 10 of us there - 4 rounds.

Round One: 2-1 win to me.

Going 1-0 down to a Sheoldred, Elish Norn and Vorinclex isn't fun. A mana-spamming deck that pulled out all three by turn six.
Game 2 - a turn four win thanks to a Birds of Paradise, Kruin Outlaw, Instigator and Overrun in the second game. And lucky mana-drawing XD
Game 3 - dragged on, but I managed to kill Sheoldred thanks to a massive amount of wolves to sac. Elish Norn never arrived, and a Army of The Damned wasn't enough to stop me once I played Overrun once more.

Round Two - 2-1 loss.

Game One- Crushed Ruthlessly by a Deck-Mealer. Out by turn eight...
Game Two - won (just), thanks to killing the creatures they were using quickly, and making enough damage and tokens to force them to not just meal. Final card was a RedSun's Zenith - BAM. 14 damage.
Game Three - same as Game One. Meal, meal and more meal.

Round Three - 2-0 win.

Game One - forced a turn three scoop for my opponent - he conceded due to three Birds on turn two, them throwing Two Mayors and a Moonmist.
Game Two - ruthlessly destroyed by Two Wildblood Packs.

Round Four - DRAW.

Game One - A slow game, both of us spamming tokens - Wolves versus Humans. Despite massive mana production on both of our sides, it went down to an Ancient Grudge destroying a Golem token that allowed me to get an Immerwolf through to hit for 6 damage.
Game Two - Ow. I got smashed by a stupidly pumped Champion of The Parish. Creates 25 human tokens, doubled to 50 by Parallel Lives. Honour the Pure has them pumped to 4/4's by now. I Moonmist, and attack, then they wipe the field with Blasphemous Act.... Excluding Champion of The Parish, as it is too strong by now...
Game Three - never finished. We both ended up on six life, and were at a stalemate. Neither could attack and live, and neither had enough to block and kill next turn. This went on until the time ran out, and six turns were played.

So overall, it went well. I finished fourth, earning myself three Avacyn Restored Boosters, two Dark Ascension Boosters, and an Innistrad Booster - pulled a Garruk Relentless - perfect! Other noticeable cards were a foil Ancient Grudge and and Revenge of the Hunted, a Mondromen Shaman, along with a couple of Daybreak Rangers and Reckless Waifs - time to experiment with my deck!