• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

A Planeswalker's Guide to SPPf (Magic: the Gathering)

niedude

Don't forget to grin
It fits their lore, and it's cool and all, but...

I dunno, I think that a whole guild dedicated to bug bites could find a better way to make it work.

All in all, I think that, for now, Evolve is the only truly good new mechanic. Honestly the RTR guild's got the much better end of the deal. ALL of their mechanics were some level of awesome. Detain? Game breaking, much praised mechanic. Populate? There's a reason 1/1 Birds are now a thing. A tournament topping thing. Scavenge only get's shafted cause GB has better stuff to do than that but it still gets a lot of use. Unleash is effing awesome and and Overload's only flaw is the cards that carry it.

Right now, Battallion, while I do like it, doesn't have the immediate threat effect Detain had and I cant see it getting much tournament play, Extort wastes mana on a bug bite that could be much better used on a better spell, Gruul's just gives a temporary boost worthy of a glorified instant (and it's still one of the better mechanics). Evolve seems good in theory, and is probably the best of the bunch revealed, but "Build your own creature" decks are easy to deactivate with a simple Terminus, or what have you.

Dimir might get a Detain-level of awesome skill, but it still won't make Gatecrash's keywords as cool as RTR's.
Here's hoping the actual cards make up for it, though.

PS: having said that, if I do go to a pre-release event I'm most likely going as Boros.

Kamotz

God of Monsters
I disagree. Hardly any of the RTR keywords are used in Constructed formats. There are a few playable Scavenge cards (Dregs Mangler, Deadbridge Goliath), maybe 1 Unleash (Rakdos Cackler), 1 or 2 Populate (Trostani?? And Sundering Growth), absolutely NO detain, and a few decent Overload cards (Mizzium Mortars--Overload also gets played in EDH via Cyclonic Rift and Vandalblast).

Detain is only good in limited formats because you'd rather just counter or remove them completely, Populate involves too much build-around, Unleash just isn't on good enough creatures, Scavenge is only rarely cost-efficient, and Overload is usually just too cost-restrictive to use in Constructed.

On the other hand, Evolve seems like a decent enough ability, especially if they put it on a mana dork or other small creatures. Fathom Mage provides very good card advantage in creature heavy decks, where card advantage is a difficult thing to come by. If Extort gets an equivalent to F. Mage things like extra life gain/loss will become more relevant. Bloodrush is basically an uncounterable instant-speed effect, which is pretty awesome.

I'm on the fence about Batallion, if only because it depends on your creature #, and that's easy to disrupt for control and tempo decks.

DucksGoMooful

Evergreen tail?
Still, Battalion seems like the best ability to me. Gruul doesn't seem like it'll be too good, unless each creature's keyword ability has a different effect. Orzhov doesn't seem big enough. Simic sounds fun, but I'll have to see how the other cards are before I make up my mind. Boros will be what I'm sticking with.

the3rdH0kage

Turn my Swag on!
I was going to roll a dice when I preordered my guild thing but, now that I know the guilds I was considering (Boros, Simic, or Orzhov). I just don't know.

Kamotz

God of Monsters
Except Odric already flopped. And he had the same ability except he could allow an Alpha-strike. What's worse, even the angel is a conditional lightning helix on a stick, it's right in Searing Spear range. You'll play it and it becomes an instant target for disruption or removal. Or they just remove the other creatures in play to make it a 3/3 with flying. Not that dangerous.

Bloodrush will be different, just like Batallion. The ability text is after a dash, not italicizes in parenthesis like reminder text (as with Extort, Populate, Evolve, or Unleash).

The Admiral

the star of the masquerade
Battalion has a lot of potential... potential. Whether it will actually live up to that remains to be seen. I kind of like Extort, as long as there are cheaper sources of it (i.e. like one-drops with it).

the3rdH0kage

Turn my Swag on!
I misread it to. :( But I like the actual text. This will take some serious thinking when I preorder unless I can get more then 1. Might get all 3 and roll a dice to see which one I use for launch.

odric did need one additional attacker than battalion though, keep that in mind. also gore-house chainwalker is another unleash dude seeing standard play in dirty red.

i'm not sure how i feel about these mechanics, they all seem very dependent on the cards that carry them. i do hope for something with multiple instances of extort (maybe on teysa?), that would be sweet.

also i'd laugh a LOT if they didn't show dimir's mechanic today because it's a secret.

Last edited:

D-World

Robo-Cascoon's angry
In any case, all these cards seem to be powerful for EDH, except maybe Firemane Avenger. The best would be Fathom Mage. Whether combined with Animar of the Mimeoplasm, it makes for formidable power.

the3rdH0kage

Turn my Swag on!
I have a question and I know this will be pretty stupid. When you Populate does Parallel Lives trigger?

Kamotz

God of Monsters
Yes. P. lives triggers whenever you put a token in. Since populates puts a token onto the field, a single parallel lives will gie you twice that many tokens.

the3rdH0kage

Turn my Swag on!
okay thanks. Expect to see a deck in the next few days

Important EDIT:

We have the 5th guild!!! They just released the Dimir preview :) The ability seems a bit weird to me, but lets hear your opinions.

Attachments

• 383642_10151620460659199_1388164_n.jpg
    383642_10151620460659199_1388164_n.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
cipher is pretty amazing and will be powerful given they push it even a little, since yanno "free spells".

the preview card is terrible though.

D-World

Robo-Cascoon's angry
I might disagree. Windfall effects can always be nice when you're out of juice, it also fills your grave for Reanimation/Snapcaster/Deathrite, and fuels your hand with brand new cards. 2UB might be a bit too much, but I think with all the extra free spells it would be wonderful.

the3rdH0kage

Turn my Swag on!
I'm thinking of building an EDH deck but can't settle on a general. I have 2 that I want to use but they do very different things. I'm think Glissa the Traitor or Horde of Notions. Any thoughts.

D-World

Robo-Cascoon's angry
Depends what kind of deck you want. Horde of Notions is fun to play, but otherwise doesn't have much of a strategy and the Five Color Manabase is often tricky to pull off without a hefty budget.

Glissa seems better to me. You get all the ramp in Green, the tutoring in Black, and they are a lot of good artifacts/artifact creatures you can recuperate.

the3rdH0kage

Turn my Swag on!
I was thinking that and the January FNM promo is Searing Spear!!!

niedude

Don't forget to grin
Cypher is super awesome!
Flavour wise, it's my favourite ability. In.game wise, well, it depends heavily on the cards packing it, but since Dimir will undoubtedly have an easy time getting unblockable creatures (and we already have a lot of Blue support for that) it might be a VERY interesting mechanic indeed.

All in all, I'm pleased. Extort is, unlike what I previously said, rather good. Battallion might be disappointing once we get the full set, but I have some faith in it, and this and evolve are AWESOME.

I'm most likely not going to be able to join a pre-release, but, if I do join, I wouldn't know which guild to go under. I'd probably pick either Boros or Dimir, though.

yeah i'm really not sure which guild to choose, i might end up rolling a die or just choosing the least represented guild. since i'm going to both the prerelease and 2hg on the same day i might go with simic for the prerelease and boros for the 2hg (if you even choose a guild for the 2hg? i'm not sure), but i really don't have a preference out of these guilds since they're actually all pretty cool ones.