• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

A Planeswalker's Guide to SPPf (Magic: the Gathering)

The Admiral

the star of the masquerade
The only real use I can find for Gideon's -15 is if you push him past 15 and then use him to beat up on people who can't keep up with your attacker (or use Artful Dodge) -- but that's still a massive waste of time and basically just a stalling tactic.

And, I guess, if you want to lose friends in EDH.

D-World

Robo-Cascoon's angry
I liked Domri, he seemed legit anyway.

Would that mean Aurelia, Borby V2 and Enter the Infinite, and the Tyrant are fake too seeing as they were spoiled simultaneously?

I've also made my desicion for the pre-release. I'm going Simic. Getting the Guildmage and/or that 0/4 unblockable Evolve dude will be great in tandem with Blue Cipher Spells.

Also, Corpsejack Menace + Fathom Mage + Increasing Savagery = EPIC WIN

Kamotz

God of Monsters
I think the other "spoiled" card are fake, too. WOTC wouldn't print two alternate win conditions in the same set (Hellkite Tyrant and the ~Biovisionary).

DucksGoMooful

Evergreen tail?
I think the other "spoiled" card are fake, too. WOTC wouldn't print two alternate win conditions in the same set (Hellkite Tyrant and the ~Biovisionary).

Well in M13 there was Door to Nothingness (sort of a win condition) and Battle of Wits. But I'm assuming you're not talking about a core set?

I just looked at it, and you're right. Call of the Nightwing is 149, Domri Rade is 150, and Clan Defiance is between them, though no number is listed.

Kamotz

God of Monsters
clan defiance looks like it's 150 or 151 based on the blurry images on the bottom. Which is still supportive of the idea that he's fake.

the3rdH0kage

Turn my Swag on!
ooohhh no he is fke (I really didn't like him anyway) I do like the new Gideon though. If I can get a few I'll put him in a couple decks.

The Admiral

Domri looks like he could actually be number 156 or something -- 156 would fit the collectors' numbers to this point. Otherwise, he is indeed probably fake.

the3rdH0kage

Turn my Swag on!
MTGsalvation said his number was 150. But they could be wrong. The new Gideon's preorders are insane I've checked a few places and he is $25 and out of stock.

well he was spoiled on daily mtg so i am pretty sure he's real lol. i'm glad too, he's so sweet. that means i want obzedat AND domri from my fat pack, that's asking a lot...

niedude

Don't forget to grin
I really, really like the new Gideon. In this new Aggro environment, he will fit GREAT, and just ramp up loyalty like a madman. His 0 ability was pretty much a given, joining the fray himself is kinda his thing.

His Ultimate does give the "last resort" sorta feel. "I won't make it, but neither will you!" white cards always appealed to me, stuff like Planar Cleansing (and similar cards in other colors, like Worldfire, too) and it can set up a great FINAL TURN~ kinda deal. Tap out all your lands, use his ultimate, unleash a torrent of haste wielding weenies, Battallion for game.

I'm assuming this is what his ultimate was meant to synergy with. I mean, he's gotta ba paired with Boros for SOME reason.
(Funny thing is, Gideon learned all of his tricks from a Hieromancing Planeswalker. Hieromancers are Law mages. One would expect Gideon would sooner join Azorius)

Kamotz

God of Monsters
But Gideon is so absurdly bad anti-Aggro. And he exiles All permanents, including lands, so your torrent of weenies will have to wait. He's just terrible. No use whatsoever except in limited. Unless you float your mana...

But anytime you'd like to use his ultimate you might as well just not and win anyway. It's strictly bad. Old Gideon was much better.

Especially since by T4 Aggro will be so far ahead that it won't matter what his loyalty is.

EDIT:

Also, Domri is real. his number was 156...

niedude

Don't forget to grin
Floating Mana is precisely what I was talking about, actually.

But you're right on one thing: this card isn't Jace or Tamyo levels of broken. I guess that's why I like it so much. I like balanced cards that don't automatically turn the tables on your favor the minute you cast them.

That and he's a white walker. I'm suspiciously biased on any White cards

I mean, a White aggro deck would have emptied its hand by the time his board cleanse ulti came into eff, meaning one would most likely be out of resources in order to fire off any other wave.

But, on the other hand, a White/Red deck would arguably have the best chance of building back its game after a board cleanse. With white weenies and red's creature speed and aggro combined, its most certain that you'd be the first to establish board presence. Especially since most players running current decks only carry a few copies of their boss cards and with them in exile, they ain't coming back to fight you anytime soon.

Or am I twisting the situation in my favor too much?

Last edited:

Kamotz

God of Monsters
He's kinda just legitimately bad. Awfully so. He's terrible in an Aggro deck because he just doesn't belong. You'd rather play Hellrider, Aristocrat, or Firemane Avenger at the 4-spot...why play a cards that does nothing when it hits the battlefield? Aggro needs you dead by the time he becomes slightly useful. Against a black deck he just gets Tragic Slip'ed. Against a Green/White he gets Selesnya Charmed. Against blue he gets Unsummon'd/Azorius Charme'd/Detention Sphere'd.

The Admiral

Yeah. That was last night's spoiler. That and a card that was spoiled early.

It's funny to see at least one Salvationer's response was something along the lines of Wizards just giving us old spoilers for some stupid reason relating to them. Because, you know, Domri was officially spoiled and that other card could be considered officially spoiled because some dingus higher up made a mistake.

Also, the 9 on the Domri picture was really blurry, and so was the 6, which looks identical, so I don't know why they assumed 150 anyway. Sometimes Salvation confuses me. A lot.

niedude

Don't forget to grin
Is there any chance that the new "crappy" cards will be any good on Modern, or some other format though?

Enter the Infinite, for example, is very... hard to pull of in Standard, but I hear it's made some people cry tears of joy over in Modern, saying casting it means auto-win (by coupling it with, among other things, omniscience)

Can Gideon maybe be such a card?

the3rdH0kage

Turn my Swag on!
I was playing today and won by turn 6 with a very budgeted Rakdos Aggro deck. The I got mana screwed and didn't get any of my 1 and 2 drops so the game went long term. This deck can do both so would that be considered midrange?

DucksGoMooful

Evergreen tail?
I just listened to one of Mark Rosewater's podcasts for the first time and I now realize that I'm really annoyed by his voice. I'll probably learn to like it, but for now I don't like it :p

the3rdH0kage

Turn my Swag on!
So I'm about to post my Rakdos Aggro deck for RMDing.