• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

A Planeswalker's Guide to SPPf (Magic: the Gathering)

The Admiral

the star of the masquerade
Conjurer's closet only half works with Ashen Rider though, as she exiles when she "dies" not when she leaves the field.

Still, that eats one permanent per rotation (from her return). Add Copy Artifact (I'm thinking Esper for this deck), Nephalia Smuggler, Scepter + Cloudshift, and you can get more mileage

the3rdH0kage

Turn my Swag on!
I'll probable end up running 2 Ashen Rider. I'm running R/W/B Midrange, so she fits in at the top of the curve as a 2 of. I hate that Undying is leaving us, I could have some fun with Flicker effects and Undying.

The Admiral

Dissolve seems pretty nice. I could see it being run.

I find it kind of interesting how Wizards keeps printing various 3-cost counters which have a small bonus, but not a two-cost counterspell (even akin to Deprive).

the3rdH0kage

Turn my Swag on!
Nessian Courser is the Future Sight card. I'm so happy I have like 3 sets of the pretty full art version. I haven't looked at the rest of todays spoiler I got too excited because of Nessian Courser :)

Swampurtz

God of Destruction
I don't no a lot about magic but I do play it my deck is the Azoria advance I love to detain the **** out of people

the3rdH0kage

Turn my Swag on!
If I wanted lands that were only good T1, I'd hope for the SOM duals again. Those were at least also good T2.

The Scrylands are a tad bland, but the fact that you have Draw manipulation is crazy. I'm going to try and get a set or 2 of all 10 when there out.

and Azorious is a fun guild to play and Detain is one of those mechanics that can piss people off. But anyway they reveled the rest of Theros and its looking like an awesome set. I'm probably going Black at prerelease this week.

Kamotz

God of Monsters
The draw manipulation is none too shabby. But isn't game breaking. In a control deck it'll seem a bit better because it'll be able to go through the deck better anyway. In other decks it might trick you into keeping riskier hands than would be advisable. Not sure how that'll end up playing out.

Black is looking solid. I also like red because its removal and burn is all at lower rarities.

the3rdH0kage

Turn my Swag on!
So how was everybodys prerelease(s). I went to the midnight one to pick up a pack and pulled a Xenagos, and Nylea. Sold those and paid for another prerelase today, and got Erebos, and Ashen Rider. So pretty good I should say. But no Magma Jet :(

The Admiral

I had probably the unluckiest string of games I've ever had, and the most valuable thing I pulled was a Temple of Deceit. Then I bought three packs of Modern Masters and traded in all of my valuable cards from those for some gold-bordered EDH things, because that's about the only format I build for very much.

I could probably have just as well not gone and kept the about $60 I spent, but I guess I did manage to get hold of a Maze of Ith.

the3rdH0kage

Turn my Swag on!
You can still get packs of Modern Masters. All 4 of the local shops in my area ran out like a month ago. I'd love to get a few more packs though. :(

The Admiral

You can still get packs of Modern Masters. All 4 of the local shops in my area ran out like a month ago. I'd love to get a few more packs though. :(

Yeah, but they were still $13 where I was, which may have been artificial inflation pushed by WOTC because apparently the secondary market matters more than format health.

Mind you, the store does **** like this all the time. When Elspeth v. Tezzeret came out, they charged $35 for ONE of them. So it probably wouldn't have mattered if they'd had a $4 list price.

Kamotz

God of Monsters
Not really :S Theros is my least favorite Modern set since Ice Age.

You must mean Coldsnap.

And why? I've had a blast playing it. The cards are actually quite well balanced after the insane power jump that was Innistrad. There's something for just about every deck archetype. And it's full of juicy flavor that's resonant of Greek mythology while also being distinctly MTG.

DucksGoMooful

Evergreen tail?
Yeah, I just want to implode with all of the epic flavour wins in Theros, like Chained to the Rocks, Akroan Horse, Titan of Eternal Fire, the gorgons/hydras/heroes/gods/etc etc. It's super awesome and I love it. And even putting all of that aside, it's still fun to play with.

Unfortunately, I'm quite busy this school year so I don't have much free time. Sorry about that.

niedude

Don't forget to grin
You must mean Coldsnap.

And why? I've had a blast playing it. The cards are actually quite well balanced after the insane power jump that was Innistrad. There's something for just about every deck archetype. And it's full of juicy flavor that's resonant of Greek mythology while also being distinctly MTG.

I dunno, it just doesn't appeal to me.

Overall, I think Innistrad was my all-time favorite block, with RTR following second.
I like about 8 cards from the set but that's really about it.

Kamotz

God of Monsters
Well, to each their own.

I think it's actually a very powerful limited set, at least from the experiences I had at the prerelease. Time will tell how well it drafts. But in terms of constructed playability there are a number of really solid cards that seem useful across multiple formats. Where Standard is concerned, Control seems to have its footing again, and it doesn't look to be the all-in Aggro smash-fest of the GTC-DGM era T2. There are cards for just about every deck, which is fantastic. There's Control, Tempo, Aggro, and Midrange (possibly Combo, too, but I'm not a combo player, so I can't say for sure). I mean, just look at all the playable cards:

White:
Chained to the Rocks, Elspeth, Fabled Hero, Gift of Immortality, Glare of Heresy, Heliod, Last Breath, Soldier of the Pantheon, Spear of Heliod.

Blue:
Bident of Thassa, Curse of the Swine, Dissolve, Gainsay, Master of Waves, Omenspeaker, Stymied Hopes, Swan Song, Thassa, Voyage's End.

Black:
Agent of the Fates, Dark Betreyal, Erebos, Hero's Downfall, Read the Bones, Thoughtsieze, Whip of Erebos.

Red:
Anger of the Gods, Arena Athlete, Ember Swallower, Firedrinker Satyr, Hammer of Purphoros, Lightning Strike, Magma Jet, Purphoros, Stormbreath Dragon.

Green:
Arbor Colossus, Boon Satyr, Bow of Nylea, Commune with the Gods, Fade into Antiquity, Mistcutter Hydra, Nylea, Polukranos, Sylvan Caryatid.

Multi:
Akroan Hoplite, Anax and Cymede, Ashen Rider, Ashiok, Battlewise Hoplite, Daxos, Fleecemane Lion, Medomai, Polis Crusher, Prophet of Kruphix, Steam Augury, Triad of Fates, Tymaret, Underworld Cerberus, Xenagos.

Granted, not ALL of these are Maindeck Standard material. But sideboard? Sure. And EDH? Absolutely.

the3rdH0kage

Turn my Swag on!
So I have been on a huge Doctor Who kick lately, and I was thinking why not incorporate two of the big things I've been doing recently. So I decided to mix Doctor Who and M:tG, I'm going to make a set of Doctor Who based cards. and by set I mean like a large set, I'm sure I can do that, I may be a set of something for each Doctor because I'd like to have all the Doctors (11 atm and 12 in December) appear as Planeswalkers). So unless I can manage to do 11-12 PWs in a singular set, I'll spread them out. But it will be focused on taking extra turns and losing turns (because the Doctor is all about time travel and stuff).

The Admiral

Erebos seems like one of the best mono-black generals in a long time. Similarly, Thassa for mono-blue seems Really Good.

the3rdH0kage

Turn my Swag on!
So tomorrow, I'll helping host a band competition, then Sunday I'm floorjudging the State mtg tournament. Judging then I'm going to run the side events, going to be sweet.

Edit:
So a friend of mine and I went in on a box of Theros (50/50). Pulled a Elspeth, Purphoros, Thoughtseize, and Master of Waves. My friend packed a foil Thoughseize

Last edited: