• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

A Planeswalker's Guide to SPPf (Magic: the Gathering)

the3rdH0kage

Turn my Swag on!
Kamotz after I update my Oracle we can play on Trice a bit more, I'm going to start being on campus a bit more. Also, your moving everywhere aren't you lol.

Also for anyone that plays on MTGO (I may end up starting after I get some monies) They are releasing Vintage Masters, it's pretty much Modern Masters on steroids. Has all of the Power 9 in it with new art (I want the Time Walk art on a playmat).

The Admiral

the star of the masquerade
Kamotz after I update my Oracle we can play on Trice a bit more, I'm going to start being on campus a bit more. Also, your moving everywhere aren't you lol.

Also for anyone that plays on MTGO (I may end up starting after I get some monies) They are releasing Vintage Masters, it's pretty much Modern Masters on steroids. Has all of the Power 9 in it with new art (I want the Time Walk art on a playmat).

I want very much to see the new artworks on these all. Are the moxen just the Volkan Baga ones from the limited edition deck box? I wouldn't be surprised if they were.

the3rdH0kage

Turn my Swag on!
Yeah the Moxen are the Volkan Baga arts but still they are awesome art.

The Admiral

Yeah, the arts are pretty nice. And to be honest, I can't really have expected more new art for those cards, since they will never be reprinted again in playable format, and it will be some time before a reprint in unplayable format.

the3rdH0kage

Turn my Swag on!
So the new Commander decks come out tomorrow, anybody getting one?? I'm grabbing the Grixis one (I managed to get it at MSRP at my LGS)

Kamotz

God of Monsters
I got the full set at MSRP. Super excited to start brewing and customizing them. It's nice to have a real Naya commander that isn't Mayael.

the3rdH0kage

Turn my Swag on!
Mayael is in the Naya deck though. and I'm pumped I'll probably not sleep Friday night because deck ideas and stuff.

Kamotz

God of Monsters
Right. But Mayael is a real build-around. Marath seems kinda a less specific and more of an all-around Goodstuff general. I mean...Mayael is the least-specific of the accessible Naya Generals like Rith and Uril. They're really token and enchantment-themed, respectively. And Mayael really wants to capitalize on the big-stuff-creatures. She's good, don't get me wrong. But I'd really prefer something that can be good all on its own. Which Marath seems to do.

SugarFreeJazz

not present
Can't remember if this was the thread where we organized Cockatrice games, but I apologize for ditching y'all out of nowhere a few months back. Things came up in life, so deck building and MTG in general were just put on the back-burner. I'm a bit more active now, but I don't expect to be in any organized games anytime soon.

Good to see y'all still here.

Kamotz

God of Monsters
Yeah. We haven't had much of a Cockatrice go-round recently. That we had one at all was pretty impressive seeing as how this is a Pokemon forum.

I'd still like to try and get our Serebii FNM going again though.

===

In other news! Have people been playing with the Commander 2013 decks and cards yet? Have you guys gotten into Commander now that it's a more accessible product again (rather than last year's minimally-printed Commander's Arsenal)?

the3rdH0kage

Turn my Swag on!
I've been playing a bit more, I sold the True-Name Nemesis from the Grixis deck because I needed some cash. and someone offered me $40 for the Esper deck, which I very well may do as I'm taking someone out for a date next week. But the decks are fun and a great way to delve into the format.

Kamotz

God of Monsters
Yeah. I picked up 2 of the Esper and 2 of the Grixis decks at Target for 30 a piece. Listed them on Ebay. Make some money back.

---

Anyway. I thought I might put up a Commander Format Primer here. Depending on if people were interested of course. Just a bit of explaining about the format (to the best of my knowledge) as well as certain "must-haves" ad staples of the format that should and/or could be included in just about every deck.

Interested? Yes? No?

The Admiral

The Derevi EDH has some nice combos. I think I might expand on it a little more at some point. Azami gets you a decent amount of card draw with Derevi, for instance.

Anyway. I thought I might put up a Commander Format Primer here. Depending on if people were interested of course. Just a bit of explaining about the format (to the best of my knowledge) as well as certain "must-haves" ad staples of the format that should and/or could be included in just about every deck.

Interested? Yes? No?

Yes.

the3rdH0kage

Turn my Swag on!
Kamotz I'd look at it because I like seeing other peoples views into a format as unique as Commander. I'm on break so sometime I'll probably tear apart the Grixis C13 deck and make something awesome. and I may be floorjudging the PTQ in my town on January 4th talking to the TO probably this week.

The Admiral

I got the Esper 2013 deck. Toxic Deluge is just crazy good.

Speaking of new EDH/Commander decks -- Derevi Stasis? Good idea? Bad idea? Lose friends because really ****ing stasis really?

(this would be accomplished with Hold the Gates and other things that give vigilance to all your creatures and (optionally) Eon Hub. Privileged Position helps too.)

Last edited:

Kamotz

God of Monsters
Wow...did you guys realize it has been over a year since anyone has posted here??? I'm shocked, actually, especially with the way MTG has been growing and changing in that time. New Modern bannings, players getting banned, new Standard format shakeups...

Well, I'm looking to try and revitalize this thread a little. So I'll start by recapping my MTG highlights of the past year.

SCG Open - Columbus: I had a great time hanging out with some friends at the Open. It was the first SCG Open I'd ever played in, and I had a blast.

Winning BNG Game Day: Though the event was small, I had a blast playing against some great friends. And I was playing 4x Domri Rade, sooo....

GPT Cincinnati: I took "2nd" place at this event, scooping to my buddy in the finals so he would get the byes. It solidified Jund Monsters as "MY" deck for the season.

June: I begin working for TCGplayer.com

SCG Open - Syracuse: Finished 37th here, even defeating the former Pro-Tour Rookie of the Year (and confirmed cheat) Jared Boettcher. Maybe his loss to me was the one that made him step up his cheating? We'll never know. I did get to represent the TCGplayer blue though, so that was fun.

the3rdH0kage

Turn my Swag on!
Wow...did you guys realize it has been over a year since anyone has posted here??? I'm shocked, actually, especially with the way MTG has been growing and changing in that time. New Modern bannings, players getting banned, new Standard format shakeups...

Well, I'm looking to try and revitalize this thread a little. So I'll start by recapping my MTG highlights of the past year.

SCG Open - Columbus: I had a great time hanging out with some friends at the Open. It was the first SCG Open I'd ever played in, and I had a blast.

Winning BNG Game Day: Though the event was small, I had a blast playing against some great friends. And I was playing 4x Domri Rade, sooo....

GPT Cincinnati: I took "2nd" place at this event, scooping to my buddy in the finals so he would get the byes. It solidified Jund Monsters as "MY" deck for the season.

June: I begin working for TCGplayer.com

SCG Open - Syracuse: Finished 37th here, even defeating the former Pro-Tour Rookie of the Year (and confirmed cheat) Jared Boettcher. Maybe his loss to me was the one that made him step up his cheating? We'll never know. I did get to represent the TCGplayer blue though, so that was fun.

I thought about necrobumping the tournament thread for a Silver event I did a few weeks ago. But anyway, this has been a great year for MtG. I really didn't do anything huge this year MTG related, I placed 13th in that Silver event but that isn't much. Here's hoping 2015 is a great year for MTG.