• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

A Pokémon of a Different Color! (797)

Dephender

Gizakawayusu
Staff member
This thread has nothing to do with the Rocket VS Plasma episodes. Take that discussion elsewhere.

Pokegirl0102

This episode was really great, it was awesome to see Clair again and wished Da would bring back other interesting characters from the OS like this to make it more tolerable, bummer that Clair isnt sticking around though, on another topic i for one hope we don't air the specials on CN and just have them posted on Pokemon TV like pokemon Origins will be, i also hope their isnt a long break between BW and XY

WaterDragon trainer

Freak Like Me
This was an ok episode. It was kinda nice to see a shiny Druddigon as well as Clair. Not much else beyond that.

Vipsoccermaster

Good episode. It was great to see the development of Iris, seeing Clair, and a shiny Druddigon. Hopefully we'll see the Iris and Clair battle episode, but I don't think that has aired in Japan yet, has it?

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
I liked this episode. It was great to see a animated shiny Druddigon. I laughed at Cilan's theory that the two Dragonites would fall in love.

MidnightMelody

Hopeful for Gen 8
So why does Alexa just vanish and not stay with the group?

Pokegirl0102

It's a Time Bokan parody, but that most certainly didn't come across in the dub.

Every time i see you post it seems you are always bashing the dub, we get it you like the Japanese version better, while most of us like the show better in our own language

Dephender

Gizakawayusu
Staff member
Every time i see you post it seems you are always bashing the dub, we get it you like the Japanese version better, while most of us like the show better in our own language

Sorry, what? I don't even watch it, and I can't say I've said anything negative about it in neither that post or any other.
I just rather doubt a referential joke based on a line with no commonly accepted English translation taken from a show it's unlikely anyone involved with the dub have even heard of made it into the dub in any sort of recognizable manner. That's all.

the1stpkmnfan

Your Big Buff Bro
It was great to see Clair again. The voice was also a good fit for her. Shiny Drudigon was a sight to see, and it was stunning to see Clair endure through it's attacks. And yay, she caught him.

That's all I really cared to see in this episode. Nothing more, especially when Alexa was written off the plot very quickly.

Orton155

Pokemon Enthusiast
It was nice episode to spend time with a familiar face from a long time ago. I also enjoyed the further insight into Iris' past and that she actually feared dragon types at a young age. The funny moment was when Cilan said that Clair's and Iris' dragonite were falling in love.

Good episode, onto the next one!

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
I can barely remember what Clair sounded like in Johto, but her voice in this episode was decent. I'm still stunned that Clair's character was brought back at all, but at least the episode was somewhat entertaining and showcased Clair's experience with Dragon-types; I preferred the dubbed version of this episode since I could actually understand what was being discussed lol.

1rkhachatryan

Call me Robert guys

dman_dustin

In one aspect of this episode, they took dubbing to literal.

If I'm not mistaken, "shiny Pokemon" in the Japanese is "Pokemon of a different color" or something of that if I'm not mistaken, that's what I remember it being referred to as.

What I disliked about the dub, is that they went too literal with a translation.

Instead of saying the Druddigon was a shiny Druddigon they said it was a Pokemon of a different color.

I don't know if lip synching was why they chose to dub it, but I don't know why they just didn't say "shiny"

It's not like the Druddigon was purple and yellow, it matches the shiny coloring in the games.'

Edit: I also disliked how the Dragon Den Dragonite was referred to Clair's Dragonite, I thought the original stated that Clair's Dragonair evolved? Why was the Dragonite we saw in the episode being referred to the same Dragonite that Charizard and Clair's Dragonair helped stop going on an outrage.

The one problem I have with this episode is that they made it seem like the Dragonite that attacked the Dragon Holy Land was Clair's, when it actually belonged to the first Blackthorn gym leader

I'm pretty sure, that first gym leader is dead, I highly doubt he can claim ownership. If anything it makes sense for THAT Dragonite to go with Clair or at least have it be like Jasmine's Ampharos.

The problem I had was that the Clair's Dragonite in the episode was supposed to be Clair's Dragonair evolved, but the way the dub says it, it was the dragon den Dragonite.

Last edited:

R?IDDl3R

ace trainer
hahaaaa! i missed clair! glad to see her comeback! episode was pretty good funny how alexa left and iris' flashbacks and iteractions with druddigon and dragonite were good too!

Milennin

*hugs Absol*
Decided to watch a bit of of the anime again while playing some Pokémon Y. I've never really followed the series, I watched some of the first season when I was a kid, but never got into it. Can't say it's improved much over the many years, but I suppose it's alright for a kid's cartoon. I think it was strange Clair tried to calm it down by talking to it, expecting the Druddigon to understand it. Other than that this episode was okay. Team Rocket played a fair role without getting into the way too much, they also seemed to be slightly more competent than they were all those years ago.

Dephender

Gizakawayusu
Staff member
If I'm not mistaken, "shiny Pokemon" in the Japanese is "Pokemon of a different color" or something of that if I'm not mistaken, that's what I remember it being referred to as.

Correct. Though it's also worth noting that "shiny" was a fan term that didn't get made official until around the time BW got released, most likely because it was apparent than people were going to keep calling them that made-up term no matter what, so they might as well use it in official media as well.
But I certainly wouldn't fault the dub for not using a fan-term-made-official-10-years-after-fans-invented-it when it didn't really have any business being made official in the first place.

Edit: I also disliked how the Dragon Den Dragonite was referred to Clair's Dragonite, I thought the original stated that Clair's Dragonair evolved? Why was the Dragonite we saw in the episode being referred to the same Dragonite that Charizard and Clair's Dragonair helped stop going on an outrage.

Uh, this is exactly what the original said as well. Where do you have that "Clair's Dragonair evolved" nonsense from?

dman_dustin

But I certainly wouldn't fault the dub for not using a fan-term-made-official-10-years-after-fans-invented-it when it didn't really have any business being made official in the first place.

Actually it did.

For one thing "A Pokemon of a Different Color" is way too long of a title, and couldn't be slapped on a game.

And giving it official title, made lots of sense.

Why not refer Pokemon of a different color as something in particular, something short, that can be programmed into the Pokedex.

Why wouldn't "shiny" work? It's short and useable. I don't know what the hell they were supposed to officially title alternate colored Pokemon, but it makes more sense to use something everyone calls it then choosing something else and alienating everyone.

What one word could possibly be made up to refer to "alternate colored" Pokemon which would have worked?

Uh, this is exactly what the original said as well. Where do you have that "Clair's Dragonair evolved" nonsense from?

1. So the "Dragon Den" Dragonite was female and not male?

2. The "Dragon Den" Dragonite was voiced by Kensuke Sato?

3. Clair magically out of the blue obtained the Dragonite from the "Dragon Den" even though I'm pretty sure, it was said that the Dragonite in "Dragon Den" was supposed to stay there and guard the Dragon Holy Land I believe is what it's called.

4. Clair's actual Dragonair is supposedly dead and never to be heard from again. And for whatever reason the writers would rather focus on a Pokemon that Clair would only "maybe technically" own rather than focus on a Pokemon she actually owns, because it was impossible to evolve her Dragonair.

Last edited:

Dephender

Gizakawayusu
Staff member
Actually it did.

"Iro chigai" isn't one word, it's two. And both the anime dub and the English games have referred to them as "alternate-colored" etc for ages. "Shiny" is a fanon term, and it's not a fault of the dub to not use it in this episode.

1. So the "Dragon Den" Dragonite was female and not male?
Supposedly.

2. The "Dragon Den" Dragonite was voiced by Kensuke Sato?
Unsho Ishizuka, according to Pokeani. Sato voices Iris' Kairyu.

3. Clair magically out of the blue obtained the Dragonite from the "Dragon Den" even though I'm pretty sure, it was said that the Dragonite in "Dragon Den" was supposed to stay there and guard the Dragon Holy Land I believe is what it's called.
4. Clair's actual Dragonair is supposedly dead and never to be heard from again. And for whatever reason the writers would rather focus on a Pokemon that Clair would only "maybe technically" own rather than focus on a Pokemon she actually owns, because it was impossible to evolve her Dragonair.

I honestly don't remember those episodes all that well. But it's explicitly stated in the original that the Kairyu in this episode is the same one that went on a rampage due to the ruined flower bed way back then, and I assume the dub translated this dialogue accurately. Whomever told you there's anything in this episode even remotely suggesting that this is her old Hakuryu that evolved one step further is most likely just making things up due to not actually understanding what's being said. Since they said the exact opposite.

This isn't a dub issue. If the dub says this is the Holy Land Dragonite, the dub is just translating accurately, unlike whomever told you otherwise.