• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

A Poke’mon? Master : Kaveri's tale.

Ladyumbra

... ..no comment

Notes: So here we are again, only things have changed a lot. The core plot of the story is the same ( sadly it was only hinted at in the first version) but a lot has changed. Those who remember this from before, fear not - Bo, Dare and Enigma and even Brian will all be returning as better more thought out characters ( as will the Hive and the Vibe sisters) Our main character is much changed but still worth reading about I hope.

Prologue

A small lava lamp sits on a desk, semi illuminating an otherwise dark room with a greenish-yellow light, all the while casting shadows of the rising and falling balls of heated wax. Some of the light falls on a figure laying in bed under the covers - whoever the person is it seems as though they are intent upon whatever they are writing in their journal.

Log entry 000

The council made their choice tonight and Bo and I are headed out at dawn. It should be interesting; there hasn't been a council-sent trainer in nearly twenty years. I've got plenty of time to make my mark but with Bo as my partner I know we can do it in record time. Of course my mission is twofold - one is to change the face of training to the council’s wishes by becoming a famous inspirational master and two to round up any stray half-breeds I can find. They'll be well hidden to be sure but they'll also be needed in the future.

Thankfully the latter has nothing to do with that other than finding the half-breeds. I'm an ambitious creature to be sure but even I don't want to mess with 'them' if the legends are true.

My job is mostly just to stir things up a little and create a following over the next few years. It still amuses me that humans have the audacity to believe that the great Pokemon Masters are humans. Some are, yes, though even some of those are half-breeds with no visible signs of it. However, for the most part, few humans have the ability to connect with us on a level needed to bring out our ultimate power; to inspire the utmost effort from us. We could kill for them if they wanted – hell, during the world wars we did our fair share of fighting.

I digress; the point is that I will be the next council-sent trainer that is a Ditto; I will strive to surpass my predecessors’ successes and make myself and my team legends in our own right. There are rules I must follow; laws I must obey and precautions I must take but I know I can do all of those. Bo and I, along with whatever team we create will take this world by storm.

I understand however that this will still take great time and effort beyond all of what we have been training for. I will not fall victim to hubris; I will not get ahead of myself - but I will believe in myself because that's half the battle.

Kaveri placed her pen down and closed her journal. Tomorrow was going to be a long day and while her stomach was rolling with nerves she needed to get some sleep or she wouldn't be able to start the day off right. She hoped that Bo was also preparing for bed now - the Tangela had chosen to spend her last free night in the woods she had grown up in since there was no telling when (or if for that matter) they'd ever return there.

Sleep came swiftly to Kaveri and it was not long before she was blissfully unaware of anything but her dreams. Not too far away, a Tangela lay nestled in a bed of moss. She too slept and every so often, her body vines would ripple in a lazy kind of motion. While the stars watched, Kaveri and Bo slept, peacefully dreaming of an exciting future.

End notes: To all those who read both the old version and this then went “wtf, when did Bo become Kaveri?” congrats. The old Bo's personality was the basis for Kaveri's and you'll see a lot more of that as the story progresses.

Ladyumbra

... ..no comment
Rating: PG

Chapter 1

Just because a person is trained to be up at the crack of dawn for years does not mean they like it. For Kaveri, who had to trek down a dusty dirt path pushing a bike, this was very true. She was a night person by nature and would have preferred traveling in the dark. Unfortunately, she wouldn't get the exposure she needed that way so daytime travel it was, accompanied by the sounds of those damned cheery birds chirping their good mornings to each other.

As the sun rose in a myriad of golds, azures and pinks Kaveri sighed and stood still. However, she did so not to admire the breathtaking sight and watch the colors reflect in the nearby lake – she did not have the patience to at this time of day.

"I swear, of all days that she could’ve chosen from she picks today to be late," she grumbled tiredly.

"So you what will you do if you don’t like my untimely arrival? Leave without me and become the first master to use herself in battle, thus exposing our secret and marking yourself for exile or death?" The words were followed by a soft chuckle as a medium sized Tangela emerged from around a fruit bearing bush. The sun’s first rays made her teal vines gleam as they reached out to pluck a ripe red berry. Said berry was quickly tossed up to surprised but grateful Pidgey.

Kaveri rolled her sapphire eyes but couldn’t help but smile, Bo was a smart aleck, but she pulled off her remarks so well that one couldn't help but see her point.

"Yes, of course, but now that you're here that course of action isn't necessary and we can be leaving." She said this and winked at her partner as she began to walk again. The maroon bike she pushed would be used once they reached the top of the upcoming hill.

Kaveri and Bo had been working together for the last eight years, training intensely under the council's teachers with a group of other hopefuls. They had been paired together after a series of tests showed them to be the best match for each other. There had been times in the beginning when both had seriously doubted the test’s results but over the years they'd seen the wisdom of their match and had forged a strong bond. Both young women knew the other inside and out and were capable of telling when something was wrong should the other try to hide it. Both were immensely attached to the other and would risk their life if it meant saving the other.

Despite being the "trainer" of the pair, Kaveri was the team's muscle. She was, in most aspects, a tough girl - strong willed, opinionated and determined; she'd grit her teeth and bear just about anything if it meant getting the job done. Of course, on the flipside she was also the team's resident rash, blunt, tactless loudmouth who needed reins.

Bo, on the other hand, was the team's smarts; she was an intellectual more than an athlete, she could fight to be sure but she preferred to do it smartly with the most damage being done using the least effort. She could throw a Machop across a field but thought why bother when you can blow a sleep powder his way or make a few tactical strikes to pressure points. Bo was also the one who ran damage control on Kaveri if she couldn't prevent her from doing something stupid.

When the two reached the top of the hill they were walking on, Kaveri paused again. She looked over her shoulder at what she was leaving behind - twelve years of memories, of friends and fami -

~ Get going, Kaveri - you can miss us when you've actually left, ~ The terse and firm words rang through Kaveri's mind and she laughed.

"Was that Ami telling you not to get all sappy?" Bo asked. The older female had spent many years living with the Kadabra and knew her as well as her adopted daughter (which was Kaveri).

Kaveri nodded. “You know Mom: kind and sweet until it's time to face your responsibilities - then it's all business." Kaveri loved her mother a great deal and would miss one of her biggest inspirational figures on this journey.

Bo bobbed her body in a nod before shooting out two vines out that wrapped around the handlebars of the bike. Pulling the vines back towards her body, she hauled herself into a large wicker basket that had been secured to the front of the bike.

"Let's go then - we don't want to be late or we'll miss all the fun."

Kaveri rolled her eyes again and mounted the bike. Once she had found her balance, she began to pedal. For a while it would be easy going - after the first hill there was only one major slope then flat land afterwards. As Kaveri approached said slope, she gripped the handle bars tightly. This was going to be fun but tricky, as the hill was rather steep and with most of the bike's weight in the front of it, flipping was a very real possibility. Kaveri and Bo had done this several times before but it was never easy – they’d had their fair share of falls.

Now, Kaveri thought as she began to decline. She shifted the bikes position slightly so that she and Bo were going down on an angle. The wind whipped at her face and blew her bangs about, the rest of her tightly braided emerald hair flying like a banner behind her head. Bo's vines were constricted tightly to her body, which was fortunate since the last thing Kaveri needed was to be accidentally hurt by Bo while trying to steer; the odd pebble flipping up and striking her hand or face was bad enough.

In a matter of seconds it was all over and they were safe on level ground once again. Looking back, Kaveri saw a huge tan cloud of dust rising up from where she rode down the hill. My own personal send off, she thought, grinning. It annoyed her somewhat that everyone had acted like today was just another day; that there'd been no special breakfast, no presents or well wishes. Although she was masquerading as a nineteen year old (despite being 16 in human and 12 in Ditto) she still had an edge of immaturity. However, her mother had hugged her goodbye and a few early rising neighbors had waved but otherwise there’d had been nothing special; nothing to make her feel like this was as momentous as it really was.

"Keep your mind on what lays ahead, not behind - we'll have a rookie to break in soon," Bo reminded Kaveri. Due to connections the council had, Kaveri, despite her possession of Bo and her age was entitled to a starter Pokemon much like most trainers.

"Oh gods, a soft bodied professor-bred thing that doesn't know the first thing about real life. I really don't see why we can't just make our own damned team - between the two of us we could coerce just about anyone or anything to join us.” This was true, but Kaveri's true reason for disliking the idea was because she felt that human-bred Pokemon were inferior; that they were damaged in a way nothing could repair. There was a connection all Pokemon shared; a sort of common bond and domestic Pokemon lacked the ability to sense it.

Bo chuckled and her entire body rippled in amusement. "Be nice Kaveri, I'm sure we can manage with whatever we get. Besides, I do not want to spend my first few days on this adventure hunting down the perfect candidate for the team; I'd like to train the new member; analyze his strengths and weaknesses, form strate-

"I get it, I get it, but I still don't have to like it," The girl grumbled sulkily. Sometimes she honestly thought that Bo would make a better person than a Pokemon - but that was a positive aspect of hers - the ability to think like a human and still be a Pokemon. Kaveri could do it too; in fact it was crucial to her mission but Bo pulled it off much better, leaving her to wish for Bo’s more human characteristics.

Around dinner time, Kaveri and Bo pulled into the parking lot of a Pokemon center. The day had been long and it wasn't even close to being over yet. They still had to pick up their new teammate and then go through the traditional fight that followed. There was reason this area's Pokemon trainers received their Pokemon at the center, and it wasn’t because the older trainers wanted to offer a great big hug and welcome to the newcomers – in fact, it was the complete opposite. An older trainer always felt the need to initiate the newer one into the world of battling with a nice humble loss at the hands of one of their more experienced Pokemon. The local Nurse Joy turned a blind eye to these events; after all, if she interfered everyone knew they'd just take the fights elsewhere and medical treatment would be further way when the damage was done.

Walking into the building, Kaveri shivered in her clothes. The special navy blue outfit she was wearing was modeled after a Rustboro City school boys’ uniform. It was meant to keep her cool during long hot days of trekking while still acting as a durable insulator. In the air conditioned Pokemon center it provided little heat retaining abilities. Looking down, she noticed that Bo was also feeling the cold - the summer evening had been warm and pleasant; this was just a nasty little shock.

Sighing and clutching her arms to herself for warmth, she walked across the pink and white marble floor and headed towards the reception desk. Out of the corner of her eye she could see Bo had headed towards a young trainer and his Venonat. This didn't surprise her since the grass type had always had a fascination with Bug Pokemon.

"Hello there, you must be Kaveri. You’re here to pick up your starter, right?" Although the woman standing before Kaveri looked like your typical pink haired, blue eyed cheery Nurse Joy there was a world weary look her in eyes and her tone was anything but cheerful.

Kaveri nodded. "That would be me – and yes, I’m here to pick up…um…well, I dunno what it is; no one told me." Oh, please don't let it be something stupid, she prayed, please don't let it be a typical starter or a baby something.

Placing a red and white Pokeball on the counter, the Nurse Joy gave Kaveri a weak attempt at a smile.

"A male Geodude - looks like the makings of a pretty good team, combined with your current companion," she said, nodding towards Bo (who was deep in discussion with the Venonat.)

Kaveri had a feeling Bo was going to be pleased with their rookie – she was too, after all.
"Thank you," she said as she grabbed the Pokeball and turned to leave. In her peripheral sights she spotted a pair of boys rise from their seats and head towards her. Obviously, one of them was here for her and the other for the kid with the Venonat, who had probably figured that if he just stayed inside they couldn't hurt him.

"Bo, let's go - we’ve got places to be," she called out as she headed for the door. The boy, whoever he was, quickly stood up and followed her out with Bo and his Venonat trailing behind. Smart kid, Kaveri thought, use the older trainer as a shield then run like hell.

"Hey, you two - where do you think you're going? You're not initiated yet!” But Kaveri didn’t even bother to acknowledge their presence - she just kept walking, for she knew they'd come to her if they really meant it.

And come to her they did, as a stream of white light arced over her head then dropped down to the gravel covered ground a few feet in front of her. A crimson outline twisted and morphed; when it faded away it left behind a rather large, very annoyed looking and foul smelling Ursaring.

Last edited:

ClowSui

look! a shiny dragon
and le beta makes his post!

i really loved beta'ing this chapter and the prologue, 'twas fun and was a nice intro to the plot (both of 'em)...awesome chapter, regardless of my edits

Master Alltro-N

The Deserts Spirit
;335; Zango: Hey, Alltro-N, I found her... Again.

Thanks Zango. Ladyumbra, It is good to see you again (though it took me a while. Starting over again I see, well I will say that this new plot line does look interesting. I did spot one misstake in the Prologue. At the end when you said this statement:
End notes: To all those who read both the old version and this then went “wtf, when did Bo become Kaveri?” congrats. The old Bo's personality was the basis for Kaveri's and you'll see a lot more of that as the story progresses.
The Bo's that are bolded should be Di's

On a positive note, Kaveri and Bo's new adventure is already starting off alitle sour... How will they achieve victory?

;156; Molten: Shhhh!! Don't ask her! I want to find out bu reading it.

That was a retorical question, Molten... But , yeah. Master Alltro-N is Back!

Zango: Hopefully she won't restart it again.

Shut it Zango. Ignore him he can get cranky sometimes

Molten: More like all the time.

Zango: *stares daggers into the other two while muttering under his breath*

Well, I look forward to the next chapter of this new remake. Till next time

Master A-N Out