• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

A Possible Alternative to Smogon Tiers

Dragoon952

The Winter Moth
old tooth, I haven't forgot, just been busy. I'll try to get you that list soon.

Fire_Blast222

I've been reading about this for a while and it sounds pretty interesting! Have you tried starting a tournament on Smogon? I can help if you need some

Indragon

Back in the USSR
Hm, so this has been inactive for a while...what's the status, Dragoon? BW's on us too.

Dragoon952

The Winter Moth
I've been reading about this for a while and it sounds pretty interesting! Have you tried starting a tournament on Smogon? I can help if you need some

I'm kind of done getting any response from the people at Smogon. I'm sure there are a ton of people there that could help, but for the most part the place is downright hostile. I've had threads deleted immediately and I haven't gotten a single response from any mods about anything in regards to getting something posted or doing tournaments, so I can't even get tot the point where people there can see what this is about in the first place. We had a tournament here not that long ago though.

That all aside, I'm glad you find it interesting!

Hm, so this has been inactive for a while...what's the status, Dragoon? BW's on us too.

It's basically my fault. A user named old tooth has graciously offered to get a program set up to do all of the calculations for us which is the whole time consuming part of this. I've just been slow to get him numbers. Been a rough few months, but getting back on track now. Oh, and I got sidetracked by a certain new game ;)

If the program works, B/W will be a snap.

Fire_Blast222

One of the best ways to get a direct response from a mod would be to start a tournament. The way it works is you send a PM to a mod to get it approved. So when you post it up, it's already approved by a mod. Compared to some ther tournaments this is pretty competitively focused. By starting a tourney people are not treatned that it is going to replace tiers. One tourney is all it's going to take to get quite a few people interested in helping and promoting.

EDIT: I reccomemd changing the title of the thread to Pokemon Value System. With the current title, people fell as if you are saying this is better than smogon, even though it says alternative

Dragoon952

The Winter Moth
I can ask a mod to change the title. I thought the title was clear, but oh well. ;)

Let me see (i.e. Get off my lazy butt) and work with old tooth on the program. If we can get values for all pogers it would be immensely better. Also, I have a potential new way to correct for undervaluing of monotypes, which will be easier to test with an auto calculator. I just don't want an immediate backlash if it isn't perfect.

Fire_Blast222

I was just making a PVS team for 65 points and I made one using only two NU pokemon (Zangoose and Shuckle). I think that happened because Shuckle is only worth 2 points. I think that's a bit low. Maybe the offense is weighed more or something (I'm not good with the math)

Zowayix

I was just making a PVS team for 65 points and I made one using only two NU pokemon (Zangoose and Shuckle). I think that happened because Shuckle is only worth 2 points. I think that's a bit low. Maybe the offense is weighed more or something (I'm not good with the math)

The PVS system currently needs some adjusting; one of the current problems is that Pokemon with only one type tend to have a rather low value.

garchompmaster29

Xatu>Espeon
I turned away from smogon for reasons similar to yours. i dared to claim that mence shouldn't be uber, and listed why, and they banned me! i kept coming back and trying to debate the topic, but they kept cutting me off. Smogon may be an amazing competitive sight, but they aren't so friendly. GO SEREBII!

P.S. i really like the pvs system.

P.s.s. if ne1 wants to debate salamence's uber status, i will be happy to do so.

Fire_Blast222

Glad to see that you're interested :)

At first, Dragoon had some trouble bringing this to Smogon, but I managed to make a social group over there, so check it out. A tournament for PVS is coming soon, so I'll make sure to post here when it is up. We also talked about PVS on IRC.

Btw, I think that the Salamance ban was pretty backed up. In my opinion it made the metagame a lot less centalized and made many pokes viable.

garchompmaster29

Xatu>Espeon
Unfortunately, smogon ip banned me. It was one of their crazy mods.

as for mence:

The reason garchomp was banned, was because, with a yach berry, he could take any ice type attack thrown at him. However, he had superior special bulk to mence, and thus, even with a yach berry attacked, an ice beam coming of a decent special attack is enough to OHKO. and do so easisly if there are rocks down. So a choice scarfer with a higher base speed than 100, cogh cough starmie, can beat it. Also, swampert can beat non CB mence, because an outrage won't 2hko. And, of course, if the mence is CB, he will have to waste two outrage turns to kill pert, which gives you the opportunity to bring in a revenge killer. Finally, the fact that mence can quite easily go special doesn't make him "banned" for variety. ttar can go special as well, but do we see him getting banned? no.

TTar's Dark Pulse is nothing compared to Salamence's Draco Meteor. Salamence made the metagame crap, if you didn't run three steels back then just give up because you're going to lose.

Kindrindra

大事なのは自分らしいくある事
Ah, finally joined the Smogon usergroup.

Hopefully, I should have more time for this, now. Just need to get a few kinks worked out with my school's internet.

Indragon

Back in the USSR
Hm...interesting to see whether this "breaks through" in Smogon if there's a tournament there. Speaking of Mence, I don't think it was broken simply based on strength, but it was too centralizing. 'Course, none of that matters here. =D

Fire_Blast222

Indragon, I'm pretty sure it already has broken through

Kindrindra

大事なのは自分らしいくある事

Fire_Blast222

How is it going dragoon?

Dragoon952

The Winter Moth
How is it going dragoon?

A.) Waiting for Slipper to get me the PO script.
B.) Still coordinating with old tooth on the program to calculate values.

Kira-Dusk_Edge

I really wanna try this out. Looks like alot of fun. So much fun that I had to make an account just to say how awesome this sounds. If you start another tournament tell me. I will play.

akaSnowWolf

Shiny Hunter
This looks really cool. It will give some of my favorites a chance to be used efficiently.