• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

A Pyramiding Rage (596)

Wednesdayz

Meowth fanatic
Bwahaha! Paul got an embarrassing loss, especially with Lairon. I believe it was the only one who didn’t land a shot: it didn't even move, it just got frozen and then zapped. The sad music at the end made his loss so dramatic. Earth Power is like an upgraded version of Earthquake. :x

Alloutℯ

Banned
I like Paul a lot, so I really enjoyed this episode. He really got his butt kicked. The only thing that sort of annoyed me, was Dawn using the Pokedex like five times. Other than that, I loved everything.

Shayuin

Banned
Paul should had realized whenever you challenge a Battle Frontier facility, your opponent usually scores critical hits, which was why Reggie used a Drapion in his fight with Brandon. :p

Leonhart

Imagineer
I loved seeing Shinji challenge Jindai at the Battle Pyramid, because there was a certain satisfaction in watching him struggle against a high class opponent. I liked the flashback of Reiji's match with Jindai as well, plus Nozomi was amusing.

Daizy

I call you honey
This episode went like I expected it would. Paul put up one heck of a fight, but lost in the end to Brandon's Regi Trio. The flashback to Reggie's own battle against Brandon was nice.

Leonhart

Imagineer
In hindsight, I wish Suzuna and Nozomi had done more here. I know that Shinji versus Jindai was the main event, yet Suzuna and Nozomi appearing seemed so pointless without them filling a role.

Scorbunnie

Paul was made to look too weak here. I know Brandon is a really powerful Pokemon trainer but damn he didn't even give Paul a chance to breathe with the constant Ls he took.

PokemonBattleFanatic-

Paul was made to look too weak here. I know Brandon is a really powerful Pokemon trainer but damn he didn't even give Paul a chance to breathe with the constant Ls he took.
It didn't make him look weak because Brandon was using all 3 Regis while constantly switching them out.He still managed to get direct hits on them w/ Hariyama,Nidoking,Electabuzz and Magmar.

He still used type advantage even though it didn't really matter in the long run.Cynthia swept through Paul's pokemon,he lost badly but it didn't make him look weak because he was up against one of the strongest trainers in the world.

Mr.Munchlax

Great Ball Rank Trainer
One minor thing I loved about this episode was that Paul & Zoey actually met each other (even though they didn't have any interaction aside from Zoey calling him out for his rudeness). To me, this felt like a crossover between Ash & Dawn's journeys since we never had any of their rivals meet up with each other like this & we've never had anything like this happen ever since.

Plus, I always found Zoey to be one of the best examples of a friendly rival in the anime (the other being Prof. Kukui), so seeing her meet the best "jerk" rival in the series was really interesting

RafaSceptile

So this is one of those weird instances when we actually know how much time happened between two episodes (10 days between this episode and DP131), unless it is only a dub thing...

masdog

What is the airspeed of an unladen Swellow?
Great episode. I really enjoyed watching this. Paul was hulking out, especially after learning that Ash beat the one trainer his brother couldn’t. It definitely clouded his judgement.

As for Zoey and Candice - is it fair to call it subtext when it’s anything but subtle?

Paul is an idiot for not using Torterra (his strongest and most experienced Pokémon) here

PokemonBattleFanatic-

Paul is an idiot for not using Torterra (his strongest and most experienced Pokémon) here
More than likely the pokemon he had on hand at the time were for his upcoming battle with gym leader Candice who specialized in ice-type pokemon.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Paul to Ash : "Using a grass-type in a ice-type gym?I guess you chalked that up to blind faith."

Reggie to Paul : "Keep in mind that Candice is tough."

Paul to Reggie : "I've got a plan for her."

PokemonBattleFanatic-

Torkoal wouldn't have lasted as long as it did against Registeel if it wasn't dodging it's attacks.Darkrai one shotted Torkoal with one move without using the Dark Void/Dream Eater combo.
Meanwhile none of Paul's pokemon dodged any of the 3 Regis attacks and at the same time they were being constantly switched out by Brandon.More than likely the Regis got stronger since the AG series.Torkoal used Iron Defense to take Registeel's Zap Cannon and was still able to battle while Lairon used Iron Defense and got one shotted by Regice's Zap Cannon.

Ash's Torkoal landed a few hits on Registeel while also dodging it's attacks and got KO'ed by Registeel's Lock On/Zap Cannon combo.Paul's Nidoking landed Earth Power,Thunderbolt and Double Kick on Registeel without dodging any attacks but was defeated with 2 attacks.

Last edited:

beanDude

Reviewer
I think a lot of people miss the fact that Paul didn't care about winning here, he was doing this to study an opponent the same way he would when Ash would do something and he would later use the same strategy against him.

PokemonBattleFanatic-

I think a lot of people miss the fact that Paul didn't care about winning here, he was doing this to study an opponent the same way he would when Ash would do something and he would later use the same strategy against him.
You may have this battle confused with the one against Cynthia because Paul had every intention of defeating Brandon.Since Reggie lost to Brandon during his BF journey,Paul became obsessed with power and wanted to surpass his older brother.

"I'm not Reggie,I won't do what he did and make the same pathetic mistakes."