1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. We have received legal notice about the sharing of certain images for Pokémon Sword & Shield. Due to this, we have a new rule. If you post said images, you will be removed from the forums until 15:00 UTC on November 14th 2019. We have also killed the leak discussion threads for the time being. Thank you for your patience during this. If you have any queries, use the contact form
  3. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

A question about starter Pokemon

Discussion in 'General Pokémon Discussion' started by FettucineGummy, Oct 23, 2019.

1. FettucineGummy

FettucineGummy New Member

Do you think that the starter Pokemons are generally better than other pokemons of the same type?
    Do you always keep them in your team throughout the game or replace them if necessary?

Last edited: Oct 23, 2019
  2. Leosnake

Leosnake Well-Known Member

No, I actually have Pokemon I prefer to the starters of each type. But at the same time it is rare that I am not using the starter I picked by the end of the game.

3. NeedsAName

NeedsAName Well-Known Member

In my experience, they're not the best of their types, but there are few who are better.

4. Ignition

Ignition Obliterated a god with the power of friendship

They’re usually pretty good thanks to their relatively good movepools & easiness to level up but there are a few who are probably better

5. Kyuu-Tales

Kyuu-Tales 織田信長☆FAN

I think the structure of the games has always been such that it highly encourages the player to use the starters, both pragmatically speaking and from a perspective of lore. Starters always evolve relatively early, have moderately good stats and a decent movepool. And let's not forget one of the key gimmicks of LGPE had to do with the starters.

6. KalloFox34

KalloFox34 1990s Nicktoon Junkie

I only think that about the Oshawott line, and they're my absolute favorite Pokémon.

7. RedJirachi

RedJirachi Veteran member

This is probably why starters' physical and special attack on average are similar. Though maybe that's just before the physical/special split

8. Lord Godwin

Lord Godwin The Lord of Darkness

I keep the Starter for the whole game unless I'm using some post-game specidic motive Teams (e.g. in Moon I took the League rematch with a Legendary Pokemon Team and Ultra Beast Team).
    I usually also use my Starter for the final Pokemon of each Gym Leader/Rival fight (I also use exactly the same amount of Pokemon as the opposite trainer-it should be a made a setting option by now; and try to have similar or at least not higher levels than the Gym Leaders/Kahuna/Totem Pokemon).

It changed from my early days around 15-20 years ago when I was soloing the game just with the starter and having it extremely overleveled.

All in all, I cannot imagine my main Team without the Starter.

9. joey100%

joey100% New Member

i usually try and keep the starter the first time i play through the game but after that i end up finding another pokemon that i find better and box except swampert its hard to beat swampert in hoenn especially oras mega swampert is too op not to use

10. Emboar_Rulez

Emboar_Rulez Lost my profile picture when Ash beat Kukui

I always use my starter no matter how weak it is.I find the starter to be the most important part of the team since it’s the one that starter it all

11. EmeraldArcanine

EmeraldArcanine #TeamScorbunny

I've always kept my starter all the way through in all the games I've played so far. I never had a reason to box them yet. Almost contemplated doing it with Scorbunny for a first time but then I warmed up to it's later forms after it so that decision is moot.

Idk, it feels wrong for me as it stands to box your starter, it's your first pokemon and all and not only that but your first long-time companion.

As for whether they're "better" than others of their type? Lol nah there are easily better 'mons, but I usually prefer to stick with the Starter for that type for the reason I explained. Nothing's stopping me from doubling down on types tho if I ever wanted to (I did it in UM).

Emboar_Rulez likes this.
  12. RoughCoronet0

RoughCoronet0 Dragon lover

I feel that starters aren’t suppose to be the best of their respective type, so much as they are meant to be reliable partners that will remain relatively strong throughout the region. Even the weakest of the starters have enough going for them to be a valuable aid to your team in some capacity due to their base stat totals and movepools. I feel that’s why they are chosen to be used as beginner Pokemon by professors. Kinda in a similar vein to how when people wish to own a pet or begin an animal collect like a snake, fish or other collection they are often recommended a “beginner” animal that are relatively easy to care for and handle.

Though obviously this is in terms of casual play.