• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

A question about starter Pokemon

FettucineGummy

Do you think that the starter Pokemons are generally better than other pokemons of the same type?
Do you always keep them in your team throughout the game or replace them if necessary?

Last edited:

Leosnake

Do you think that the starter Pokemons are generally better than other pokemons of the same type?
Do you always keep them in your team throughout the game or replace them if necessary?
No, I actually have Pokemon I prefer to the starters of each type. But at the same time it is rare that I am not using the starter I picked by the end of the game.

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
They’re usually pretty good thanks to their relatively good movepools & easiness to level up but there are a few who are probably better

Kyuu-Tales

織田信長☆FAN
I think the structure of the games has always been such that it highly encourages the player to use the starters, both pragmatically speaking and from a perspective of lore. Starters always evolve relatively early, have moderately good stats and a decent movepool. And let's not forget one of the key gimmicks of LGPE had to do with the starters.

KalloFox34

Grampa's Little Helper? What's That?
I only think that about the Oshawott line, and they're my absolute favorite Pokémon.

RedJirachi

Veteran member
I think the structure of the games has always been such that it highly encourages the player to use the starters, both pragmatically speaking and from a perspective of lore. Starters always evolve relatively early, have moderately good stats and a decent movepool. And let's not forget one of the key gimmicks of LGPE had to do with the starters.
This is probably why starters' physical and special attack on average are similar. Though maybe that's just before the physical/special split

Lord Godwin

The Lord of Darkness
I keep the Starter for the whole game unless I'm using some post-game specidic motive Teams (e.g. in Moon I took the League rematch with a Legendary Pokemon Team and Ultra Beast Team).
I usually also use my Starter for the final Pokemon of each Gym Leader/Rival fight (I also use exactly the same amount of Pokemon as the opposite trainer-it should be a made a setting option by now; and try to have similar or at least not higher levels than the Gym Leaders/Kahuna/Totem Pokemon).

It changed from my early days around 15-20 years ago when I was soloing the game just with the starter and having it extremely overleveled.

All in all, I cannot imagine my main Team without the Starter.

joey100%

i usually try and keep the starter the first time i play through the game but after that i end up finding another pokemon that i find better and box except swampert its hard to beat swampert in hoenn especially oras mega swampert is too op not to use

Emboar_Rulez

Pokémon Master (Kinda)
I always use my starter no matter how weak it is.I find the starter to be the most important part of the team since it’s the one that starter it all

EmeraldArcanine

#TeamScorbunny
I've always kept my starter all the way through in all the games I've played so far. I never had a reason to box them yet. Almost contemplated doing it with Scorbunny for a first time but then I warmed up to it's later forms after it so that decision is moot.

Idk, it feels wrong for me as it stands to box your starter, it's your first pokemon and all and not only that but your first long-time companion.

As for whether they're "better" than others of their type? Lol nah there are easily better 'mons, but I usually prefer to stick with the Starter for that type for the reason I explained. Nothing's stopping me from doubling down on types tho if I ever wanted to (I did it in UM).

RoughCoronet0

Dragon lover
I feel that starters aren’t suppose to be the best of their respective type, so much as they are meant to be reliable partners that will remain relatively strong throughout the region. Even the weakest of the starters have enough going for them to be a valuable aid to your team in some capacity due to their base stat totals and movepools. I feel that’s why they are chosen to be used as beginner Pokemon by professors. Kinda in a similar vein to how when people wish to own a pet or begin an animal collect like a snake, fish or other collection they are often recommended a “beginner” animal that are relatively easy to care for and handle.

Though obviously this is in terms of casual play.

Starter Pokémon is a terminology concept that refers to Pokémon that the player must choose between in the beginning of each Pokémon video game. There are always three Pokémon to choose between. ... It should be noted that Bulbasaur, while typically known as a Grass Pokémon, is also a Poison type as well.