• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

A question concerning PMD fics...

TestTales

Back from the Dead
Eh...not sure if this belongs here, or if something similar was asked this month, (from it what it looks like, it hasn't, but I might have missed a thread), so if this has been asked already or if this doesn't belong here, I apologize in advance. I'm also sorry if my English hard to understand, as it's my second language. I don't think it's too bad, but then again I'm probably wrong.

Anyways, moving on...

So...I was thinking of writing a Pokémon Mystery Dungeon fanfic. Probably not as my first published story, but nonetheless, I plan on making one some day.

However, there are a few things in this...category, I guess you could call it...that seem to occur very often that bother me. One example of this is that often, the main protagonist and the partner seem to be friends the moment or near the moment they meet. It rarely works like that in real life, you know what I mean? This is just one example, I could list more, but I don't want to bore you with my ramblings.

So, my question is, is there anything specifically in PMD fanfictions that bug you? This can be plots, characters, spelling/grammar, cliches, anything, really. It can ever just be general stuff, but I'm mostly looking for things specific to the PMD category.

Thanks. :3

Knightfall

Blazing Wordsmith
Excellent question, my friend. PMD stories are notably different than a lot of things in Pokemon.

As for your first example, it is true that in most instances, the hero and partner(s) tend to join up and become friends quite quickly.

Concerning others, there's the tendency for authors to follow the events of the game too much to the letter sometimes (example: hero and partner eventually save Temporal Tower from collapse). That would be my only qualm about most stories. Not to say they are bad, because some are excellently written (the story PMD: Loopholes by Ysavvryl fits this perfectly). There are others, but the biggest for me is following the games' plot too closely.

It is true that the PMD world has aspects that often go against logic, or aren't really plausible, but it means nothing if you're writing a story. You are the author here. If something bothers you, then change it. You don't like that the hero and partner get along? Make them hate each other, but forced to be on a team because [fill in reason here]. Make your own reasons for why things happen. The PMD world leaves a lot of holes open in how it works, making it perfect for authors to twist to their liking. You can change nearly everything if you wanted to, thus avoiding many of the cliches and examples you listed.

To be honest, I found myself asking these same questions with my own story. I'm hoping I provided some insight into the issue.

Knightfall signing off... ;005;

TestTales

Back from the Dead
Hi Knightfall.

Thanks for your reply. That's actually another pet-peeve of mines. When the story follows the plot of the game too much. I usually only end up reading those if they're really well written, because it's hard to keep hooked if you know what's going to happen.

It is true about PMD having a lot of open holes, which I personally find will be interesting to twist, thought I'm sort of scared I'll twist it too much...Oh well, hope for the best and give it your all, no?

I'll keep what you said in mind. Thanks! :3

SeekerofLight

He's everywhere...
Hello there.

Excuse me if I have mistaken the context of your question, but are you referring to PMD fics which follow the same/ slightly altered story as the games?
If so, I can say that I too dislike this about most PMD fics. The best ones I've read have had an altered angle on things, making the story feel more like a Story and not a game itself. This means less clichés, a more open storyline, developed characters and attention to visible detail, and attention to detail. I find that if you think of your own story almost as if it didn't contain Pokémon. I know it sounds silly, but if it can feel decent and original enough on its own, then you can be sure it won't be spoiled by the addition of your favourite Pokémon.

Apologies again if I have completely misunderstood the initial subject, but I'm happy to have an input either way.

Best wishes

SeekerofLight

TestTales

Back from the Dead
Hi,

It was referring to PMD fics in general, but it's okay. :3

I also agree that I usually don't like it much when the plot is too close to those of the games, unless they're well written.

Thanks for the advice, but if I may ask...I'm slightly confused by what you mean by this:
I find that if you think of your own story almost as if it didn't contain Pokémon. I know it sounds silly, but if it can feel decent and original enough on its own, then you can be sure it won't be spoiled by the addition of your favourite Pokémon.

Maybe it's just me being too immigrant, or the wording has me confused, maybe it's both, but is it okay if you re-explain this? I'm sorry for the bother. >///<

And there's no need to apologize, I appreciate your advice, even if a little bit of it did have me confused.

Thanks for the input. :3

SeekerofLight

He's everywhere...
Hiya there Tales.

Glad you found my feedback helpful(?).

However, since i have apparently caused a slight level of confusion, i would kindly like to elaborate.

I shall use my former fic, 'Seekers of Light' as an example to explain my baffling suggestion. The protagonist, Torch, is a young Torchic who comes to an Academy with his Friends, which leads to him leaving on an adventure and a conflict between two powerful forces, all while finding out more about his mysterious powers.
In general, i supoose this Overview could be adapted for anything, whether with Fantasy or not. Even the minor details within my story, th battles and characters, could be altered to be more realistic... say moves becoming magic, and certain Pokémon being represented by different people (e.g. a fat Friar character in place of Snorlax, or a young mage for the protagonist)...

I'm not sure if I've been too helpful with this... but i have relished the opportunity to do so.

Best of luck in your writing

SeekerofLight

jireh the provider

Video Game Designer
Personally, from my experience reading Pokemon Mystery Dungeon fanfics, everyone else who replied earlier is right in many ways and aspects.

In my opinion, I think what really separates the PMD series is the fact that, unlike in the main series (possibly excluding 5th generation in my opinion), the themes, when converted to fanfiction, are slightly more challenging or easier to add some serious and sensitive topics that young ones normally don't read. Like problems in politics, divorces, holders of any kind of power, you get the idea. Personally, I guess it is from the Explorers saga of PMD that started seeing the PMD series (as a game) as a much more serious game in terms of story plot and themes [especially the all time known requested suicide. Child suicide. All of this bracket's my own observations and opinion], and character development. Then black and white joins the fray.

I mean, don't get me wrong. I tried creating my own PMD fic with a new world setting that had topics such as race, and abortion, political heroes getting assassinated. But it is easier said than done. Then again, it is also like creating your own original story ... but slightly harder.