• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

A Race for Home (856)

Serebii

And, as if by magic, the webmaster appeared...
Staff member
Admin
Serena Gets Serious! The Wild Skiddo Race!!

While heading to Coumarine City, Ash & co. visit a ranch. There, they find Serena's mother, Grace, is also visiting. Grace wants Serena to continue to train to be a Rhyhorn Racer, but Serena recently found a new path as a Pokémon Performer. Serena has been hiding it from her mother, but eventually tells the truth. Grace doesn't approve causing Serena to challenge her mother to a race using Skiddo. If she wins, Grace lets her continue her dream. Who will win?

Visit The Episode Guide

Discuss

playerking

Sick of dealing with idiots.
The episode starts with Ash and co. coming across a ranch.

The ranch has lots of Skiddo, with some standing and some sleeping.

It seems like there are some Mareep there too.

Ash uses his Pokedex on the Skiddo, I think. It might have been Serena.

Serena looks at her town map and is very interested in something about ice cream.

James is spying on Ash and co..

Behind him is Jessie and Meowth, who are also interested in the ice cream.

Bonnie runs up to an ice cream shop and asks some girls if they will marry Clemont.

Clemont gets embarrassed and picks her up with his Aipom Arm.

Serena gets some ice creams.

Ash and co. are all back at the ranch, looking at the ranch from outside the fence.

Serena's mom Grace then shows up and she meets Ash, Clemont and Bonnie.

Grace talks about how Serena wants to be a Rhyhorn racer and Serena becomes nervous.

Ash and co., including Grace, are now all inside the ranch.

Ash is riding on a Skiddo very slowly.

Bonnie wants to ride one too, so she gives Dedenne, while its in Bonnies pouch, to Serena.

Dedenne gets out of her pouch and joins Pikachu on the ranch's fence.

Grace helps Bonnie on a Skiddo.

Bonnie grabs Skiddo by its horns and her hands start to glow.

The Skiddo is happy with Bonnie and they happily ride around the ranch.

Serena has a flashback of when she was a kid.

Grace is teaching Serena how to ride a Skiddo and Serena ended up falling off of the Skiddo.

Back in the present, Clemont is riding a Skiddo and gets thrown off.

There seems to be a group of people inside the ranch who are wearing outfits.

I think they're cooks who work at the ranch.

They are about to serve some food for the people there and Bonnie is excited.

Ash and co. then go inside a cabin and they let all of their Pokemon out.

Chespin tries to steal some food, but Pancham stops him.

Chespin then succeeds and steals some of Pancham's food.

Chespin then runs off with it.

Pancham chases Chespin and then Pikachu and Dedenne break up the fight.

Dedenne holds back Chespin and Pikachu holds back Pancham.

Serena now tells Grace that she doesn't want to be a racer.

She says that she wants to be a Pokemon Performer.

Dare Da? Skiddo.

Ash and co. leave the cabin.

Serena and her Pokemon go to a grassy area to train for her first Tripokalon.

There's a flashback of Serena seeing Aria and her Braixen performing live.

After the flashback, Serena acts pumped.

Grace is spying on Serena's training.

Team Rocket are in the ranch's cabin's kitchen where there is a lot of cheese.

They stole a lot of wheels of cheeses and put it in the back of a truck.

They ride off with them in the truck, with the back doors still open.

Some cook from the kitchen notices and tells them to stop.

Ash and co. then discover what Team Rocket has done.

Serena recalls her Pokemon.

Ash, Clemont and Bonnie each ride a Skiddo to go after Team Rocket and stop them.

Clemont is basically lying on his Skiddo as he rides it.

Serena gets on a Rhyhorn and then so does Grace.

They also go after Team Rocket.

Ash, Clemont and Bonnie aren't far behind Team Rocket and the truck they are driving.

Clemont falls off of his Skiddo and Bonnie stops when she notices.

Grace and her Rhyhorn stop where Clemont, Bonnie and their Skiddo are.

Serena's Rhyhorn tackles the truck to make Team Rocket stop the truck.

Team Rocket get out of the truck as they do their motto and then Ash and co. battle them.

James sends out Inkay and Jessie sends out Pumpkaboo.

Pikachu uses Quick Attack on Inkay.

Serena's Fennekin does a spinning Flamethrower attack on Pumpkaboo.

The attack hits Pumpkaboo and Pumpkaboo hits the front of the truck.

Pumpkaboo uses Shadow Ball on Fennekin.

Fennekin uses Flamethrower on Inkay and Pumpkaboo.

Ash's Pikachu uses Thunderbolt to blast them off.

After that, Grace challenges Serena to a Skiddo race.

If Serena wins, she can follow her dream as a great Pokemon Performer.

If she loses, then has to stop doing Tripokalon's and strive to become a great Rhyhorn Racer, like her mother wants her to be.

As the sun sets, Serena and Grace are about to start their race.

The race starts as Clemont waves a flag in his right hand.

Serena ends up falling off of her Skiddo.

She lies on the ground and remembers her racing training as a kid and then she gets back on her Skiddo.

She then remembers when she left home to start her own journey.

Serena's hands then start to glow as she holds Skiddo's horns.

Serena's Skiddo start to run faster and then Grace's hands start to glow.

Serena's Skiddo start to catch up to Grace and then Serena ends up winning the race.

After the race, Serena and Grace are standing in front of eachother and Serena starts to cry.

Grace wipes away her tears and then the two of them look at the Skiddo that they rode on.

Grace and Serena hug eachother.

Grace is proud of Serena and she is now happy for Serena to be doing Tripokalon's.

Ash and co. then say goodbye to Serena as they walk away for Coumarine City.

To be continued.

Last edited:

Lord Trollbias

Y'all Salty Bishes
Yeah. I defo want a Skiddo capture. Don't care what anyone else says.

Would you look at that. Turns out Grace was just testing Serena's resolve after all and wasn't a horrible parent like suggested earlier.

Last edited by a moderator:

DaDonYordel

The Gazing Eye
And we thought Team Rocket couldn't get any lower they had to up it by stealing cheese, the fiends.

Of this episode I could call it sublime and serious. It was enhanced by the lack of background music, indicating the weight of the seriousness of the scenes. Great episode for development, nice foreshadowing with horn leech, and callbacks to Serena's racing skills and her commandeering a Rhyhorn. To ease this episode was the rivalry of Pancham and Chespin as comic relief, and of course Team Rocket. Their role in this was fine, where they are used to show Serena's maturity as a trainer and as a character (growth). And I'm glad their stealing stuff other than Pikachu. Grace's little girl is finally grown up I see.

As for amour? Well, Serena did blush after Ash talked about something to her related to Rhyhorn racing. I don't know if Serena covering Ash's mouth and Ash noticing that there is something wrong with Serena, being the only other one other than Grace to notice, as "hints."

Keepu is back and Bonnie fails to give Clemont a harem. There can only be one harem in this anime and Clemont is already on it--the AshBowl.

Captain America X

Good,good.Grace was not the"worst mother ever" or "abusive selfish parent" but instead the one to see how far Serena will go for her goal.

Now just have to wait for the episode to go online raw,in a few hours to see how Skiddo looks animated.

AshSerena

Well, this is the Episode Discussion, so...

Okay, those are definitely some interesting finds. I'm interested to see how Ash uses Meecle in this, especially since it isn't really his.

lol srry i just wanted to share it for amour sake... (im Discussing the episode tho..) and + some hint(i already deleted the post ..)

nyway im glad is very supportative mother on this episode + ash about how he really care about serena

Blood Red

【推しの子】
lol srry i just wanted to share it for amour sake... (im Discussing the episode tho..) and + some hint(i already deleted the post ..)

nyway im glad is very supportative mother on this episode + ash about how he really care about serena

Better to be safe than sorry.

It was an interesting twist, though it would've been cool to see Grace be unsupportive of Serena's goal.

SaitohYatate

So basically this was a typical "parent making sure the kid has conviction" kind of plot, right? Basically Grace just wanted to test Serena's determination to keep fighting for her real goal. A nice message seen before in many, *many* other series. It's nice to see Serena in her "action girl" mode again (the other time was when she tackled Jessie's Pumpkaboo in the Pancham episode).

Last edited:

colomb

So basically this was a typical "parent making sure the kid has conviction" kind of plot, right? Basically Grace just wanted to test Serena's determination to keep fighting for her real goal. A nice message seen before in many, *many* other series. It's nice to see Serena in her "action girl" mode again (the other time was when she pushed Jessie's Pumpkaboo).

Similar thing happened just 8 episodes prior in xy 45. Plus I highly doubt they would portray the parent of a main cast member so negatively (post-OS anyways).

Janovy

Banned
WAIT

Did Serena’s Skiddo use its horns to absorb energy from her necessary for it to win the race? Because they were glowing for a reason...

AshSerena

WAIT

Did Serena’s Skiddo use its horns to absorb energy from her necessary for it to win the race? Because they were glowing for a reason...

No, Grace Told before the Race that Skiddo have a ability to Learn What Riders feelings or emotion i guess? so because of how strong serena feelings about her Dream, it gives boost also on her skiddo and make her win.. but i notice when grace saw serena coming from behind, i think she already accept it(since Grace skiddo horns also glow for a sec) and lose in purpose..

Last edited:

Blood Red

【推しの子】
No, Grace Told before the Race that Skiddo have a ability to Learn What Riders feelings or emotion i guess? so because of how strong serena feelings about her Dream, it gives boost also on her skiddo and make her win.. but i notice when grace saw serena coming from behind, i think she already accept it and lose in purpose..

Okay, now that is what I call 'hax' :p

But seriously, did they have to show Grace back out? It would've been better if Serena won outright :/

K.N.

Makes a lot more sense for Grace to lose on purpose, she's an expert racer after all. Not to mention it'd a bit weird for the show to show us how badly Serena wants to be a performer by having them show she has so much talent for something else to the point she's able to beat a veteran.

Team Rocket stealing cheese made me laugh.

Also I feel the need to point out that this episode had lots of (probably unintentional) implicit violence which also made me laugh. Most notably when Serena tries to ram Team Rocket off the side of the road where she could've accidentally mangled their bodies horribly in a car flip or made them crash into a tree and die, or that part where Clemont gets bucked off the Skiddo and people shake their head in disappointment rather than being concerned that maybe he shattered his spine in the fall or something.

Sonicheroesfan1

Crystal Veteran
Ash and co. then say goodbye to Serena as they walk away for Coumarine City.

Um... sorry, what? Didn't you mean "Grace"?

I haven't watched the episode yet, but I really... REALLY don't think Serena would leave the group.

Last edited: