• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

A Race for Home (856)

ShinyCharyZard

Too old for your rubbish..
Okay so I have a couple of issues..

Firstly, Skiddo looks absolutely awful in the anime, which is a shame because in the games I find it adorable.

Secondly, what on earth was going on with Grace's hair clip? It's like the animator was too rubbish to draw it from different angles, so just drew the same shot of the clip every time, meaning at one point the whole thing was actually sticking forwards out of her head..

DaDonYordel

The Gazing Eye
So the glowing was just Skiddo sensing its rider's feelings? Clemont confirmed for masochist.

Blood Red

【推しの子】
Okay, just finished the episode. It was a pretty nice episode (especially Serena's aggressive GTA performance against TR XD ) though I have no idea why they had to show TR going after the cheese. I mean, even going after the Meecle in the ranch would've made sense, but...cheese? Really, TR?

Anyway, it was pretty good overall. The race was pretty good, Serena's nervousness at telling her mom about her goal and Grace's feelings holding her back from victory were all very nice touches.

Last edited:

DaDonYordel

The Gazing Eye
Okay, just finished the episode. It was a pretty nice episode (especially Serena's aggressive GTA performance against TR XD ) though I have no idea why they had to show TR going after the cheese. I mean, even going after the meekly in the ranch would've made sense, but...cheese? Really, TR?

Civilizations rise and fall upon the industry of cheese, m8. People tamed horses just so they can get to their cheeses on time. Great empires are born of it, they search for it and slaughter humans wholesale just to take control of it. Team Rocket know of this so they stole a truckload of cheese to corner the market on cheese wheels and crash it with no survivors. It's pretty evil.

He Who Controls the Cheese Controls the Universe.

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash
So Serena wins the race? Awesome. Seems like Grace was indeed testing Serena resolve. I can't wait to watch this when it comes out in the dub.

Blood Red

【推しの子】
Civilizations rise and fall upon the industry of cheese, m8. People tamed horses just so they can get to their cheeses on time. Great empires are born of it, they search for it and slaughter humans wholesale just to take control of it. Team Rocket know of this so they stole a truckload of cheese to corner the market on cheese wheels and crash it with no survivors. It's pretty evil.

Not to mention the families that have been split apart because of that one slice of cheese nobody wants to split. Don't forget the small people XD

Team Rocket have stolen food plenty of times before. It fits in with the fact they can rarely afford to eat..

Still, it underscores their goofiness to a whole new level, especially after seeing them act all cloak-and-dagger in BW and slightly serious in XY. Who knows, maybe the sub will make it slightly clearer :/

World Turtle

Indeed as someone who works at a grocery store you would not believe the security that shows up when the Dairy load is delivered. People will do anything to get their hands on the cheese.

Janovy

Banned
Before anyone complains:

Grace let Serena win.

Platinum fan.

RetiredPokemonMaster
Holy Poke Balls. This episode did not disappoint. I've been missing a few XY episodes, so the first thing that came to mind was, "Holy crap! I missed Froakie's evolution episode! I gotta go back and watch it!"

After that sunk in, I watched this episode. One of the two episodes I have been looking forward to. I liked it. I loved when Clemont was having trouble riding the Skiddo, Grace says something to him, I guess to make him feel better, then rides along Bonnie, who I guessed said something to make fun of Clemont, as she's riding the Skiddo perfectly. That was great. Bonnie and Clemont continue to make the anime so much fun. Bonnie can become a Skiddo/Rhyhorn racer in Serena's place.

TR stole some food or something. Whatever, they had to make a appearance somehow I guess. Again, whatever. Another scene I loved was when Pancham and Fennekin met Grace. I loved Pancham's scowl. It was not impressed with Grace. And the Chespin/Pancham rivalry. This may be the only chances Clemont and Serena can interact with each other.

And finally the best part of the episode. The race. I loved it. Easily one of my favorite moments in XY so far. Serena did not speak until the end. Yes, she was thinking her words, but they were not verbally spoken. Serena had her game face and jockey hat on. She was out to slaughter in this race. Her expressions alone spoke for her to the point, where her inner speaking wasn't even necessary for me. I love moments like this. When Grace was talking to Serena before they race, and Serena just had a "Shut up and race, mom" look on her face. Serena might fall to the background when she's not the main focus, but when she gets solid focus like this episode, her character demands my attention. This race was well done. So much for the Grace's Rhyhorn racing skills. Serena and her jockey hat wear the pants in the family now XD

So good episode. Glad I watched it. I'm going to watch that race again. This was a great Serena moment for her character. And I so enjoy Grace and Serena's dynamic. Johanna wishes she could be half of what Grace is. And seriously, Froakie evolved already? I really need to watch that episode.

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
This was a nice episode, and totally proves my point that Serena should have been a Pokemon racer in this series instead of doing idol contests.

Look at how much more badass Serena is in this episode than usual. Trying to ram TR's truck with Rhyhorn, being all angry when she falls off of Skiddo. What a shame this will probably be the last episode of any of this.

BJack

Zura
This was a nice episode, and totally proves my point that Serena should have been a Pokemon racer in this series instead of doing idol contests.

Look at how much more badass Serena is in this episode than usual. Trying to ram TR's truck with Rhyhorn, being all angry when she falls off of Skiddo. What a shame this will probably be the last episode of any of this.

I still want her to get a Ryhorn so she can do more of those things...Ryhorn can also participate in Tripoklaton, I guess.
Ash also looked cool with Skiddo, too bad he probably won't get one.

Mr. Reloaded

Cause a pirate is free
Nice episode, but really made it seem unlikely that Ash will get Skiddo (which is a good thing).

Serena's getting the development she needed and that's all that matters really.

LizardonX

Banned
Walked in expecting serena to win Because lolplotarmor says she needs to do watered down contests over a real sport.

This episode delivered.

I would give it a 1/10 for the fact that this episode had nothing interesting or unexpected along with your typical TR nonsense but chespin amused me somewhat this ep.

4/10

World Turtle

Nice episode, but really made it seem unlikely that Ash will get Skiddo (which is a good thing).

Just asking, how is it unlikely? Were Torkoal or Gible anymore likely after their debut episodes? Though I wouldn't mind Phantump.
I honestly can't help but be indecisive here both Skiddo/Gogoat and Phantump/Trevenant have qualities I like.

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
Poor Clemont not being able to ride on a Skiddo. Anyway, I was so done with Chespin's antics here, and Team Rocket attempting to steal cheese made me cringe so badly; at least Serena battled them though. The race between Serena and Grace ended up being too predictable though. Alas, at least those Skiddo were adorable.

Navin

MALDREAD
Mal's Review:

Pros:
* Serena's painful flashback of her struggles understanding her mother's lessons on riding Rhyhorn juxtaposed to the present-day Bonnie easily learning how to ride a Skiddo
* Serena training Fennekin and Pancham, and her resolve to reach that Elle-level performing synchrony
* Serena's progression of being hesitant to admit her newfound goal to her mother and by episode's end accepting it completely and showing that resolve and passion
* The continuity with XY007 where Serena overcame her misunderstanding and did learn her mother's lessons about RR and shows it chasing down TR
* HOLY SH1T! Since when Serena become that badasss to outride Ash and co (despite being that far behind) and then use a Rhyhorn to ram down a truck...
* HOLY SH1T! Serena's expressions during the race against her mother.

Cons:
* Slight predictable episode despite all the people who originally thought Grace was some abusive mother to Serena; she always had her daughter's interest at heart and just used RR to teach life lessons and give her a future in case she couldn't find one on her own
* Team Rocket stealing cheese. Kek, I mean sure, why not... it's lucrative, and pays off those mecha bills. But it bothers me though that they are literally this useless.

Thoughts:
* Looks like the Pancham/Chespin feud isn't going to be a one or two episode affair, but a running gag.
* Oh look, Bonnie still remembers to keepu a wife for her brother. Too bad she has to resort to asking random chicks off the street.
* Some cute SatoSere scenes in this episode of course, this being a Serena-centric episode and all

I guess not a really a con, but:

This was a nice episode, and totally proves my point that Serena should have been a Pokemon racer in this series instead of doing idol contests. Look at how much more badass Serena is in this episode than usual. Trying to ram TR's truck with Rhyhorn, being all angry when she falls off of Skiddo. What a shame this will probably be the last episode of any of this.

I don't know if that last bit will be true. If Serena carries over this same type of passion/determination, we'll see it again. But this episode once again showed me why I do feel that the writers really did miss out on something not making Serena a Pokemon Racer.

Episode is an 8/10. The first stage of Serena's character arc is over.

Last edited:
Stuff I liked:
- Bonnie showing up Clemont on the Skiddos
- Serena ramming TR's getaway car like a boss
- Serena won the race, even if Grace backed off
- We actually saw a complete race, which was a missed opportunity in XY007
- We got to see Serena's determination that we probably won't see in PokePerforming

Questionable:
- Skiddo's base speed in game is 52 vs Rhyhorn's 25. Serena riding Rhyhorn past Ash on Skiddo throws logic out the window
- How much time passed after Serena's Skiddo fell? How did it catch up? 15 psi of boost I'm guessing
- Chespin taking Pancham's food looks like it'll be a running gag. Because we need more.
- Cliche episode premise is cliche
- I'm just not seeing how a dumbed down version of contests could be more exciting than this. In the narrative, it makes sense because she was forced to race Rhyhorn her whole life and wanted to do something else, but PokePerforming is not something that interests or excites me.

Deplorable:
- Team Rocket, but that's like a weekly thing anyway.

Good episode overall. I wouldn't say the execution was the best, but for what the episode meant, it was really good. More Serena episodes please.

Also, RIP to the amourshipping thread